Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

This reminds me a lot of my WiMax experience with the first EVO. I work in downtown Atlanta and much like the first EVO' date=' yesterday I didn't get a whiff of LTE. Drove from downtown, north to Buford, not once did 4G popup. I've rebooted, PRL,ed etc...and now I'm gettin pissed. How do they actually charge us extra for this? I'll be dropping by my store today.[/quote']

Epic.

• Like 2

If you're not getting 4G, are you sure you have LTE/CDMA enabled. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it was disabled by default. This setting is found in Settings --> More --> Mobile Networks --> Network Mode. Toggle it from CDMA to LET/CDMA.

However, having said that, Sprint's 4G is still a disappointment because according to their coverage map, all of Atlanta is RED and all of Lawrenceville is RED and I should be getting 4G, yet I'm stuck on 3G at work (30342 Sandy Springs near Northside Hospital) and at home (30043 on Collins Hil Rd), the 2 places that I spend the most time!! I did get a good 4G signal at 30047 (Lilburn) area yesterday but that was only time I saw 4G.

This reminds me a lot of my WiMax experience with the first EVO. I work in downtown Atlanta and much like the first EVO' date=' yesterday I didn't get a whiff of LTE. Drove from downtown, north to Buford, not once did 4G popup. I've rebooted, PRL,ed etc...and now I'm gettin pissed. How do they actually charge us extra for this? I'll be dropping by my store today.[/quote']

Your market is not even close to done. All Sprint did is announce that they had a substantial amount of towers in the market complete and they were unblocking what was completed so that people could access the towers that were completed. Work is not completed and sprint will update when the market is complete. I highly doubt that the sprint store will be knowledgeable enough to tell you anything factual or helpful, so a trip there will probably only upset you more.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

• Like 2

They don't charge you extra for this. C'mon. Its launch day. Drop the drama.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 6

I work in Norcross, with the map showing three towers much closer to me than the towers out in Lawrenceville. No LTE at all, here, though. :(

Sorry you are unable to connect but glad it is not just me.

I too work in Norcross and am posting this from my desk.

I also have not connected to 4G at all to this point. Just a solid 3 bars of 3G.

Will keep monitoring.

Mav. :cool:

Sorry you are unable to connect but glad it is not just me.

I too work in Norcross and am posting this from my desk.

I also have not connected to 4G at all to this point. Just a solid 3 bars of 3G.

Will keep monitoring.

Mav. :cool:

I am also glad to know it's not just me. I had really strong WiMax 4G, and have missed it very much, as my 3G is abysmal, here. I was so hoping for LTE, today, but it's bound to get better. I am surprised, with all the live towers showing right around me, here at work, that I'm not getting LTE here, but I was able to pick it up in Lawrenceville from much further away from the upgraded towers the map shows. Perhaps these are not actually online, yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets here soon!

Hey all, yeah im a little dissapointed but still excited that at least ATL launched so its only up from here! lol the coverage maps on sprint.com are definitely a little early but the times I have connected to LTE its been an amazing and pleasant experience.

First day back at work since LTE cut on. I work in Southwest Dekalb County on Panthersville Road near Flat Shoals Parkway and Candler Rd. I get a good LTE signal at Flakes Mill and Flat Shoals Parkway during my lunch break, but the problem with my work is that sprint has come in and put a tower in our building for them since most of our agents in our agency uses Sprint phones as their work phone. I don't have a work phone but I get to capitalize on their tower with my personal phone. The problem is, obviously our "tower" inside our building isn't set up for LTE. I work by a window, so I get a 1-3 bar 4G signal, but it always battles the full bar 3G signal originating from inside the building. I can trick it and start a data connection while in 4G and it will usually stay on 4G, but if I quit my data session on whatever app I am using (usually streaming music) it will revert back to the stronger 3G signal.

I guess I can't complain. All I use my phone for work is to stream music all day, and since we have the full 3G signal in our building I was always getting 1.5Mbps Down and 1.0Mbps Up and that is plenty for all streaming music. Hope our agency upgrades their mini-tower in their building though to get the LTE signal in the building.

There is no good coverage inside the building at the ATL airport. I was getting 1/4 bar on 4G when I had it on my 3D.

There is LTE on I-75 south. But who is using it? Driving and surfing and texting?

They don't charge you extra for this. C'mon. Its launch day. Drop the drama.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

A good thing I dropped by the Sprint store. A block away from the store...whoosh bang (4G). So I walk into the store running speed test after speed test, and asked if the towers near my address are upgraded, to wit they called and verified, they are not. But I can confirm for all you Atlantans. The Mall of Georgia is bathed in 4G LTE...(it was the same for Wimax). Using Open Signal maps, anything north of that point on 85 is not. I connected to 4-5 towers on the way home, no 4G on those. I averaged under 8Mbps down while I was on, about 4 Mbps up. See screenshot.

Screenshot_2012-07-16-14-37-02.png

Edited by Crimson01

##3282# edit mode evdo and change settings from cdma hrd/lte to just cdma/lte has greatly improved my ability to connect to lte sites

Mine asks for a password when I input that, and it isn't my lock password. It lets me view mode, and like you say its set to

CDMA HDR/LTE Only. What is the pswd?

##3282# edit mode evdo and change settings from cdma hrd/lte to just cdma/lte has greatly improved my ability to connect to lte sites

What phone are you using? It isn't the S3 I guess because ##3282## Edit in the EVDO menu gives me only DDTM off or on as an option. If go into Other and select the HDR/1X selection menu, it gives me an option to change from LTE+CDMA+EVDO Mode to LTE only mode, but that setting loses voice/sms. There is no menu in that hidden menu that brings up anything CDMA hrd/lte to CDMA/lte. There is an eHRPD on or off, but that doesn't fix the ability to connect to 4G more often, eHRPD just helps the handshake of data from 4G to 3G so you don't lose your data connection mid session.

There is another menu "Device Info" menu on the S3 that lets you run ping tests turn on and off the radio and there is a dropdown that lets you pick a lot of settings like LTE only LTE/WCMDA, LTE/CDMA/Evdo/GSM/WCDMA, etc.... but playing around with those settings yields no different results. It is almost as if the phone ignores everything in that menu and overrides it somewhere else in the phone.

Has anybody messed around with the LTE scan timer under the LTE record menu? The default is 30. Does this mean that the phone looks for a LTE connection every 30 seconds?

I am using the evo lte i have the ddtm on of but also in the preferred mode i get options of

cdma hdr only

cdma hdr lte only which is the default

lte only

cdma lte only

I choose cdma lte only and it locks almost instantly with 1 or two bars of service in my home. when I am out and about in good signal area i have no problem connecting

i think it may have somethig to do with the new radio. before the update when when sprint was working on a tower I could connect for about 24 hours in a weak area at my cousins. Went over there is this weekend and the only way to get a connection was to cycle from cdma hdr lte to just cdma lte only again instant lock with 1 or 2 bars speeds about 4-6 down

you need to be rooted and download msl reader from market, if you are not rooted you can call sprint and try to get it from them or google how to get msl from sprint. But it is so much easier to root

Or...you could just call Sprint and ask them for your MSL if you dont want to void your warranty.

I just turned off my Evo 4G and activated my Evo 4G LTE to test LTE

So I checked in Lawrenceville (Discovery Mills) last night - No LTE

Right now I'm at St. Joseph's (400 & 285/Johnson Ferry Rd) - No LTE

Saucratiz - where are you getting the LTE only option? I just have CDMA/LTE or CDMA only.

OK...I finally got my GS3 to pick up some type of LTE signal. Drove to the nearest main intersection near my home and toggled airplane mode and picked up about 1-2 bars out of 6 on my phone. Pulled over into a store at the corner and ran a few tests:

10366/1815/53

8906/2941/54

9598/1830/68

I have at least 3 towers less than a mile from my house. I checked using RF signal tracker and I was connected to the closest tower to my house when I picked up the LTE signal. This is where im confused...how can I be that close to a tower and the signal be that bad (1bar...2 if im lucky)? Also I checked the signal strength and it was 107dbm...which on paper isn't that bad when we are talking LTE....but 1 bar?

The area I am in definitely has a signal...its just very week...even close to the tower. 3G on the other hand is 6/6 bars...68-75 dbm. It really seems like the tower is having problems...like LTE wasnt turned all the way on if that makes sense. At least I know LTE does exist ...just need to get that signal amplified or something...hoping for the best.

No one should count on any apps for accurate LTE site locations. I have not seen one be correct yet with LTE. Not one.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2