Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

I want to see if this works on my Galaxy Nexus.

Where do you go in the Elixir 2 app to switch to LTE only mode?

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

From the main screen, tap "Telephony", then tap "Turn WiMAX (4G) on".

Scroll down a bit until you see the "Turn off radio" button. Just above that is a list selector that should say "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto". Tap that. In the list that pops up, select "LTE only". The change takes effect immediately.

From the main screen, tap "Telephony", then tap "Turn WiMAX (4G) on".

Scroll down a bit until you see the "Turn off radio" button. Just above that is a list selector that should say "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto". Tap that. In the list that pops up, select "LTE only". The change takes effect immediately.

Yeah most "4G" widgets like Elixir just link you to the "Telpohone Testing Menu" sometimes also called "device info menu" I have been messing with that menu on and off setting it to LTE only and cycling the radio on/off combo. The setting won't stick. It eventually reverts back to LTE/CDMA/EVDO either on restart just at some random time. It also doesn't keep you from not connecting to a 3G connection either. It will connect to 3G with still known good LTE signals in the area. The only real way to keep it on LTE is what I and Robert and other people have mentioned here and on other forums. ##data## then set the HDR/1X setting to LTE only, but then you lose voice/text.

I also have been monitoring my signal levels when on LTE. Netmonitor shows that usually 4G drops out around -90 to -95 instead of near -120 like it should be. Then the stronger 3G kicks in. I know that on other older phones you could go in the ##data## menu and adjust thresholds manually. Does anyone know where in that hidden menu (or possibly another hidden menu) that setting might be?

i have the evo I am not having any connection issues in a strong signal area. I am rooted using latest mean rom/ with rom tool box presets set to mild.

My signal loss has come is weak to mild areas.

I have found that changing the settings to cdma/lte only instead of cdma hdr lte only makes a big difference.

In these weak lte areas i can keep an active lte connections for hours that ranges from 2mbps down in peak times to about 8mpbs in off peak it average about 4 mbps down. Sometimes when it does drop in the cdma lte only settings it goes back to cdma hdr lte and I have to switch it back to pick up a signal in my house again.

i have the evo I am not having any connection issues in a strong signal area. I am rooted using latest mean rom/ with rom tool box presets set to mild.

My signal loss has come is weak to mild areas.

I have found that changing the settings to cdma/lte only instead of cdma hdr lte only makes a big difference.

In these weak lte areas i can keep an active lte connections for hours that ranges from 2mbps down in peak times to about 8mpbs in off peak it average about 4 mbps down. Sometimes when it does drop in the cdma lte only settings it goes back to cdma hdr lte and I have to switch it back to pick up a signal in my house again.

I also have MeanRom. Where do you see this setting?

I cant keep my weak LTE signal. How do you do it?

If you revert to back to factory conditions, will it remove the OTA if you've already updated?

Only if it was that simple, in either case though OTA's are permanent.

Yes...you always want to wait until the update is rooted if you want to keep root access.

One of the reasons I clean out the dumb stuff in the apk folder. I won't get the updates or the notifications. I also clean out any reporting apps that talk back, facebook, google+, etc.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

One of the reasons I clean out the dumb stuff in the apk folder. I won't get the updates or the notifications. I also clean out any reporting apps that talk back, facebook, google+, etc.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

How are you going to know what update is out there?

You really using the Commodore 64?

I'm looking at the sprint map on https://network.sprint.com/. I'm not sure if its accuracy has already been discussed, but I'm starting to see consistencies in it. There are 3 types of towers it marks: voice upgrades, data capacity upgrades and data speed upgrades. I looked near Discovery Mills where I don't have LTE, but there are 4 towers there that are all data capacity towers. I looked near I-85/Jimmy Carter where there is LTE and I see data speed towers. I'm making the assumption that data speed upgrade towers are the LTE ones and the others are just eye candy on the map that increase voice (not dropping calls) and data capacity (faster 3G in heavy use areas). Does that seem like it could be right?

^Iphone - it's probably not that they use more data, but that they brought in a new population to Sprint quantity wise.

Edited by ballinjin2k

I'm looking at the sprint map on https://network.sprint.com/. I'm not sure if its accuracy has already been discussed, but I'm starting to see consistencies in it. There are 3 types of towers it marks: voice upgrades, data capacity upgrades and data speed upgrades. I looked near Discovery Mills where I don't have LTE, but there are 4 towers there that are all data capacity towers. I looked near I-85/Jimmy Carter where there is LTE and I see data speed towers. I'm making the assumption that data speed upgrade towers are the LTE ones and the others are just eye candy on the map that increase voice (not dropping calls) and data capacity (faster 3G in heavy use areas). Does that seem like it could be right?

^Iphone - it's probably not that they use more data, but that they brought in a new population to Sprint quantity wise.

None of the Network Vision upgrades show up on that map. That is purely the "band aid" fixes that Sprint is doing to try to limp the legacy network along until Network Vision takes over.

• Like 2

On my drive home last night, I had the data mode set back to it's standard/default CDMA/LTE setting. It had been on 3G all day long, and suddenly switched over to LTE without any toggles or forcing the connection. Speed test showed >9Mbps up and down. Once I left that tower, it went back to 3G and stayed there for the rest of my drive.

I wish I knew what made it decide to give LTE a try on its own, and why it doesn't do that as I'm driving by other towers...

I drove to Mall of Georgia, which according to posts here has 4G but I was on 3G. I switched to CDMA then back to LTE/CDMA and it picked up the 4G signal.

Don't know why it doesn't automatically change over.

The speed below 19502 up/10291 down is from mall of ga. It beat out my wifi at 11812/3560.

I've pretty much concluded that with the EVO LTE you almost have to cycle through CDMA only mode and back to CDMA/LTE mode in order to get an LTE signal. You can also go and set your device to LTE only going into the Data menu, ##DATA# in your dialer. But LTE only mode will turn off 1x and prevent you from getting texts and phone calls. But you could do it temporarily to determine that there is actually LTE signals and that your phone is not defective.

Robert

Unfortunately, I've tried that, along with everything else I can think of (airplane mode, toggling data, update profile, updating the PRL - which did get me a 4G signal temporarily in a lot of other places), other than setting LTE-only mode, which I'll definitely do. The thing is, I'm not even seeing 4G appear for the instant it does in other areas where 3G is much stronger and causes the 4G to shut off. I'd bet a lot of money these towers are not live. :unsure:

Edit: And the LTE-only setting doesn't help, either. With three towers so close by, they can't be upgraded. Plus, my 3G is just as abysmal as it was last week. Oh, well, it can only get better!!

I been getting good LTE at home. Last night and today, it keep falling back to 3G.

I dont know what is going on.

I just got home and as I was driving by I saw some guys working on the tower close to my house(the one right behind Hooters on tara blvd). These are the same guys I spoke to the beginning of last month when they were completing the lte upgrades. I didn't have a chance to stop by and talk with them, but I will try to do so if they are still there later on today.

• Like 1

None of the Network Vision upgrades show up on that map. That is purely the "band aid" fixes that Sprint is doing to try to limp the legacy network along until Network Vision takes over.

How is this possible? If you type in a location in Manhattan it shows 187 planned upgrades in the next 6 months when NV should be taking over within the next 8 months. This would seem like a lot of money going out the window to repair something that is supposed to be replaced within a very short amount of time. Is it possible that they are starting to show any NV improvements? It just seems like the bandaid repairs would involve almost as much cash and labor as just switching to NV based on what the maps show in the NYC metro area.

The weird thing is I know that these towers are upgraded because I was getting decent LTE back in May all over Atlanta. Now it's like they didn't unblock the towers. I doubt they would still be testing it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

post-2989-13428045929185_thumb.jpg