Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

I was looking at completed and the August map. I am in Oakwood and net monitor shows 695394 has the tower with LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, NetMonitor shows you which 1x site your are connected to, not which LTE site.

Robert

Is there a good app to use to find the LTE tower?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Currently there is no known app that will tell you the LTE tower. In fact, as boomerbubba has mentioned in several different threads, there isn't a known api within Android for an app to even retrieve this information. Makes it difficult to know for sure which tower you are truly connected to for LTE, especially since your phone could potentially connect to three different towers at once: one for 1X, a different one for EVDO and a different one for LTE.

I just called my wife while connected to 4g. YES. Now we can have simultaneous voice and data. Not sure if an LTE phone connected to 3g gives the same capability though.

Some do. My GS3 has SVDO (Simultaneous Voice) with 3G EVDO.

Robert

I just called my wife while connected to 4g. YES. Now we can have simultaneous voice and data. Not sure if an LTE phone connected to 3g gives the same capability though.

Well it looks like you have the galaxy nexus and unfortunately the gnex is the only sprint LTE phone that does not support simultaneous voice and data over 3g, the viper, gs3 and evo lte all support it over 3g.

Well it looks like you have the galaxy nexus and unfortunately the gnex is the only sprint LTE phone that does not support simultaneous voice and data over 3g, the viper, gs3 and evo lte all support it over 3g.

That's interesting I never knew simultaneous voice and data was possible with cdma since that's the conventional wisdom. Where in the specs is the info about phones supporting voice and data over 3g and 4g cause I don't think it's on sprint site when u purchase phone.

That's interesting I never knew simultaneous voice and data was possible with cdma since that's the conventional wisdom. Where in the specs is the info about phones supporting voice and data over 3g and 4g cause I don't think it's on sprint site when u purchase phone.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with CDMA. Its a device feature. It needs to have enough antenna diversity to allow 1x voice and 3G data separately.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Don't worry, the average sprint employee doesn't know this either.

• Like 1

Don't worry, the average sprint employee doesn't know this either.

It isn't an inherent capability of CDMA necessarily, some phones just happen to be capable because of the radio/antenna setup required on some of the newer LTE phones. It is not an advertised feature of any of Sprint's devices, and is highly dependent on the network in the area. Just because a phone is physically capable, doesn't mean the tower you are connected to is able to support it at the time (think congestion). Because of this, it likely won't ever be an advertised feature of Sprint's CDMA devices.

The few times that retail employees have brought it up, we have been told that it is not an advertised feature, but some devices are capable of it in certain circumstances. It should not be used for any sort of sales, just a possible additional upside to some phones, with adequate disclaimer of course. :-P

It isn't an inherent capability of CDMA necessarily' date=' some phones just happen to be capable because of the radio/antenna setup required on some of the newer LTE phones. It is not an advertised feature of any of Sprint's devices, and is highly dependent on the network in the area. Just because a phone is physically capable, doesn't mean the tower you are connected to is able to support it at the time (think congestion). Because of this, it likely won't ever be an advertised feature of Sprint's CDMA devices.

The few times that retail employees have brought it up, we have been told that it is not an advertised feature, but some devices are capable of it in certain circumstances. It should not be used for any sort of sales, just a possible additional upside to some phones, with adequate disclaimer of course. :-P[/quote']

The only time I can think of that a SVDO capable phone would not work with simultaneous voice and data is if you only were connected to EVDO only and no 1x carrier. And that is extremely unlikely. Also, it won't work without an EVDO connection, but only connected to 1x.

There is no network requirement that I can think of that needs to be in place. The phone just is communicating 3G EVDO in the same fashion it always does to a EVDO carrier at a site, and is also communicating to a 1x voice carrier. The network could care less.

I have been able to use SVDO on very remote rural sites in New Mexico and even while roaming on a 3G capable PRL.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I was in Piedmont Park yesterday and had a very good and strong LTE signal during the whole time I was out there. 20down. :)

Well that's good to know, me and my girl drove through there a couple weeks ago and didn't get an lte signal at all.

While I was waiting for my plane. I literally walked all the way across the airport and stayed 3g the entire time. Well, I decided to check my usage today and noticed I've used 22kb of 4g! Somewhere while my phone was in my pocket, it must've downloaded an email or something on 4g. I'm so sad that I didn't see it in action. I'll just have to wait until Jacksonville has lte. :(

42574717-a1c5-95d0.jpg

While I was waiting for my plane. I literally walked all the way across the airport and stayed 3g the entire time. Well, I decided to check my usage today and noticed I've used 22kb of 4g! Somewhere while my phone was in my pocket, it must've downloaded an email or something on 4g. I'm so sad that I didn't see it in action. I'll just have to wait until Jacksonville has lte.

42574717-a1c5-95d0.jpg

I got 4G in the north terminals...at the airtran gates

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've spent probably about 1 hour in LTE in my various journeys through KC and Manhattan Kansas. Been next to a couple of towers and all and all probably ran about 40 speedtests and watched a couple of youtube videos to test..... I used up about 600MB.

That's insane. I always check to see if I have used 4G data in New York' date=' but I am always saddened. I don't really expect to see a signal anytime soon though.[/quote']

In our Sponsor section, in this week's NV Sites Complete Map we show the first Sprint LTE sites to be completed in the NYC market. It's coming.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I got 4G in the north terminals...at the airtran gates

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I was at the airport yesterday as well and only had 4g when I was on the plane taxing to the gate.

I flew out of atlanta two weeks ago and I didn't get an lte signal at all on either of my phones so to hear this now is great. I can't wait go get back home.

At home, near Mall of Georgia, I was previously getting an ehrpd connection, sometimes LTE. Now I can only get an evdo rev a connection. And a slow one at that. Something has changed for the worse - maintenance on the towers?

Sent from my EVOlte using tapatalk