Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

Well back to Raleigh and sitting on my WiFi bc network is so slow....

Never could get LTE much at all when on ground level in ATL....got it briefly in the Georgia dome but that's about it...downtown was a no go for me, and I ended up updating to the latest OTA too while there and didn't see a difference really...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Well back to Raleigh and sitting on my WiFi bc network is so slow....

Never could get LTE much at all when on ground level in ATL....got it briefly in the Georgia dome but that's about it...downtown was a no go for me, and I ended up updating to the latest OTA too while there and didn't see a difference really...

I honestly don't even know what to think about this latest ota when it comes to lte connectivity. On the southside of atlanta I have been staying connecting in a lot more places but I think that has to do with expanded coverage more so than the ota. Now today me and my girl was near the varsity in atlanta and both evo's were on 3g while my gnex stayed connected to 4g no matter what. If I toggled both evo's they would then connect to lte and stay connected just fine until we went further north(on our way to IKEA) where there is no lte at all. Now generally I do notice since the ota that the phone does a better job reconnecting to lte but it still does a crappy job when the lte signal gets low compared to my gnex which basically stays connected until there is no lte at all. Also, when at home both evo's would randomly switch to 3g for no apparent reason then switch back to lte. Also, I ran some tests streaming the same youtube content on my gnex and evo as well as my girls evo and both evo's would still disconnect randomly and switch to 3g then back to 4g while my gnex would stream for hours uninterrupted on 4g, so there is definitely a lot more to be fixed than what the ota did so far.

• Like 1

Dang I just figured the varsity wasn't covered when I didn't get signal for lte there....but the fact the 3G was amazing there still should of been a sign the tower has least been worked on some and could of been lte live and I cpuldnt get it for whatever reason...I checked no maps when I was in ATL...

Back in Raleigh now suffering crap speeds lol....

I'd much rather it be a tower issue than a phone bc tower would likely be fixed when buildout gets 100% complete for market where as phone could be never...

I'd much rather it be a tower issue than a phone bc tower would likely be fixed when buildout gets 100% complete for market where as phone could be never...

Nope. I would much rather it be the reverse. If Sprint's LTE overlay really were as uneven as the EVO LTE makes it out to be, then Sprint would be in big trouble, would not likely survive the Network Vision roll out. Those coverage problems could not be fixed, not unless Sprint were to deploy thousands of new sites nationwide to multiply its site density. So, no, I would rather the problem be with the handset, as it can be easily replaced.

Like it or not, the EVO LTE gives Sprint LTE a bad name. And, bear in mind, I am an EVO LTE owner. But I tend to be pretty even keeled about these sorts of things. If a truly effective firmware update comes, great. If not, no big deal. I have confidence because I am smarter than my smartphone; I know how and where to cycle airplane mode to engender LTE connectivity. Plus, LTE is more like a perk, while EV-DO is just fine for nearly all uses. And if all else fails, I will simply pay full price for another LTE handset, just as I am likely to do anyway next spring/summer when the subsequent round of LTE flagship devices are released.

AJ

• Like 1

I made that statement on the premise that its not complete there and that's why mainly its not getting signal at certain places, and just the other device can barely pick it up at same place...

If it were at fully built out and not a chance another tower will overlay the area, then I'd agree with you completely...

This is always funny though...

Woo hoo!!! I am happy to report 4G in my house right now. I already had it at work and this is now just awesome. I am in the Lower Roswell/Johnson Ferry area of East Snob. I am getting about 9-12mps consistently.

• Like 2

Nope. I would much rather it be the reverse. If Sprint's LTE overlay really were as uneven as the EVO LTE makes it out to be, then Sprint would be in big trouble, would not likely survive the Network Vision roll out. Those coverage problems could not be fixed, not unless Sprint were to deploy thousands of new sites nationwide to multiply its site density. So, no, I would rather the problem be with the handset, as it can be easily replaced.

Like it or not, the EVO LTE gives Sprint LTE a bad name. And, bear in mind, I am an EVO LTE owner. But I tend to be pretty even keeled about these sorts of things. If a truly effective firmware update comes, great. If not, no big deal. I have confidence because I am smarter than my smartphone; I know how and where to cycle airplane mode to engender LTE connectivity. Plus, LTE is more like a perk, while EV-DO is just fine for nearly all uses. And if all else fails, I will simply pay full price for another LTE handset, just as I am likely to do anyway next spring/summer when the subsequent round of LTE flagship devices are released.

AJ

At this point I think its definitely a device issue. I carry two phones(evo & gnex) and I simply don't have any connectivity issues with my gnex period. Sprint would have a lot less complaints if the evo performed as well as my gnex when it comes to lte but like I said in other posts coverage seems to be expanding pretty quickly so that in itself should help with the complaints.

• Like 1

I have a SGIII and connect to LTE around Atlanta frequently. I use Tune-In Radio a lot when driving around Atlanta and have found when I do connect to 4GLTE, Tune-In Radio has trouble getting data. It doesn't always have issues connecting to data on 4G, but more often than not it does. I don't know if it is an issue of not having a strong 4G connection, or if it is Sprint's 4G that is the issue, or if it is just Tune-In Radio having issues.

Has anyone else had similar issues with 4GLTE in Atlanta?

I have a SGIII and connect to LTE around Atlanta frequently. I use Tune-In Radio a lot when driving around Atlanta and have found when I do connect to 4GLTE, Tune-In Radio has trouble getting data. It doesn't always have issues connecting to data on 4G, but more often than not it does. I don't know if it is an issue of not having a strong 4G connection, or if it is Sprint's 4G that is the issue, or if it is just Tune-In Radio having issues.

Has anyone else had similar issues with 4GLTE in Atlanta?

I use turn in radio a lot and haven't had any major issues that I can recall, as far as anyone else having similar issues with 4glte in atlanta, then this thread is the thread you need to read. I know its 24 pages long but its filled with different experiences from posters that are located in various ares in the atlanta market that should give you a better idea of whats going on.

I saw that my area was live according to Sprint coverage maps. I am still not able to get my gnex to find LTE in my area. When I called Sprint the rep wanted to know why I thought my Galaxy Nexus LTE would get LTE service. When I told him there was an option for LTE /CDMA for my network mode he didn't know what to say. It has been a long time since I had a Sprint rep that was this clueless. He transferred me and the next rep was speechless that he did not know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

After the latest OTA, I'm still finding some areas in Duluth where a manual toggle was necessary in order to switch over to LTE.

It looks like the evo could still use a bit more work...

Sent from my EVOlte using tapatalk

I saw that my area was live according to Sprint coverage maps. I am still not able to get my gnex to find LTE in my area. When I called Sprint the rep wanted to know why I thought my Galaxy Nexus LTE would get LTE service. When I told him there was an option for LTE /CDMA for my network mode he didn't know what to say. It has been a long time since I had a Sprint rep that was this clueless. He transferred me and the next rep was speechless that he did not know.

Folks, I ask this a lot: why would you waste your time by calling Sprint about issues like these? That is akin to calling the doctor's office and expecting the receptionist to diagnose or know anything about your illness. Those who answer the phones are entry level workers; they are generally not highly educated nor highly trained, and, most importantly, not highly paid. That is just not feasible for a company with 50 million subscribers unless we are willing to pay a great deal more for our wireless service.

AJ

Folks' date=' I ask this a lot: why would you waste your time by calling Sprint about issues like these? That is akin to calling the doctor's office and expecting the receptionist to diagnose or know anything about your illness. Those who answer the phones are entry level workers; they are generally not highly educated nor highly trained, and, most importantly, not highly paid. That is just not feasible for a company with 50 million subscribers unless we are willing to pay a great deal more for our wireless service.

AJ[/quote']

This is the best explanation, yet. You keep getting better and better at explaining this point. And it's one that needs to be understood.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Folks, I ask this a lot: why would you waste your time by calling Sprint about issues like these? That is akin to calling the doctor's office and expecting the receptionist to diagnose or know anything about your illness. Those who answer the phones are entry level workers; they are generally not highly educated nor highly trained, and, most importantly, not highly paid. That is just not feasible for a company with 50 million subscribers unless we are willing to pay a great deal more for our wireless service.

AJ

To us enthusiasts, which is a very small percentage of total subscribers, the only time we would make a call to sprint if its a specific issue that can only be fixed on their end but for general information we won't waste our time. Now I fully agree with what you just said but when it comes to the average customer, who else are they suppose to call if they have an issue?

• Like 1

When the Sprint coverage map shows LTE in my area and I am unable to connect to it who am I suppose to call? I know that I know more than the person on the other end, but what choice do I have? If no-one calls they will not know there is a problem. I have no trouble connecting to LTE as I drive around Atlanta, so why can I not connect in my own neighborhood? Can you tell me what I need to do to get LTE when the map shows I should?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

When the Sprint coverage map shows LTE in my area and I am unable to connect to it who am I suppose to call? I know that I know more than the person on the other end, but what choice do I have? If no-one calls they will not know there is a problem. I have no trouble connecting to LTE as I drive around Atlanta, so why can I not connect in my own neighborhood? Can you tell me what I need to do to get LTE when the map shows I should?

I will get right to the point.

You are an S4GRU Sponsor. Have you read anything that we written about the flaws in the current Sprint LTE coverage maps or viewed any of the alternative methodology coverage maps that we have created???

Simply put, you do not call anyone. You wait. The coverage problem will solve itself as Sprint completes Network Vision deployment in your market. Trust us. We know what we are talking about. Sprint call center reps do not.

AJ

Now I fully agree with what you just said but when it comes to the average customer, who else are they suppose to call if they have an issue?

To clarify, I did not direct my post at the "average customer." If you are here at S4GRU, then you have access to information well above and beyond that of Joe Schmo. So, I would expect our members to take advantage.

AJ

To clarify, I did not direct my post at the "average customer." If you are here at S4GRU, then you have access to information well above and beyond that of Joe Schmo. So, I would expect our members to take advantage.

AJ

Oh I know AJ, its just that even though s4gru is doing one hell of a great job keeping people informed, it also reminds me of how frustrating it can be for those that don't know about us. Honestly, if I never knew anything about s4gru, I would have probably called sprint myself asking why service is so spotty, even though I am not the "average customer". But yeah, there are certain things members should not even be complaining about being that they have way more accurate information to go by compared to those that are not in the know.

• Like 1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

To tell you the truth, there is nothing you can do so like AJ said, just wait it out. Calling won't get you lte service any faster, but sites are going live in a relatively fast pace and we have the information that shows that. The only thing thats guaranteed if you call sprint is added frustration on your part because you won't ever get the exact answers you are looking for, so yeah if you have a specific issue just post it here so one of the many s4gru guru's can answer your question for you.

I regret selling my 3D phone. I should have keep using until mid of next year.

Why didnt I do more research?

Before I can go further, I need to resolve this s-off thing. I cant even do OTA update.

How about this, I will trade you an evo 3d I have laying around for your evo lte and all your issues will be resolved.

• Like 1

I regret selling my 3D phone. I should have keep using until mid of next year.

Why didnt I do more research?

Before I can go further, I need to resolve this s-off thing. I cant even do OTA update.

here, Just throw this on your phone and call it a day.

How about this, I will trade you an evo 3d I have laying around for your evo lte and all your issues will be resolved.

I paid $420 for it. :-( But since it has Hboot 1.12 that would be on high demand.

Actually I want to get the HTC Evo Design. I cant even find one that is NEW. The beauty it got is a SIM card. I can use it here or in Canada and in my country and get a prepaid SIM card and use it.

I cant leave Sprint becaue the SERO is sooo awsome.

Benchase7, what is that video? Looks weird. Optical illusion?

Edited by chong67