Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

Got this in Berea this morning where I was working, I was at the Greenville Tech fields. Pretty consistent all day, 3-4 bars throughout, got 5 at one point.

Posted Image

Wow.....that is an incredible download speed!!! Bravo! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Any one know if the tower on white horse is up to "full power" per say as it working 100% and what ever they do to tune them? I'll get 4g in one spot then the next day I won't get 4g, I was in hamricks parking lot to download some songs from Google play on 4g but I didn't have 4g signal and 3g was very slow at the time. I'm hoping soon they will ramp up LTE around Berea and SC in general

Has anyone seen or can check for LTE down Woodruff Rd. towards or even past Five Forks headings towards 101? I'm on the fence to committing to Sprint or Verizon for Wireless Broadband and if LTE is imminent, I'll hold out for Sprint.

Has anyone seen or can check for LTE down Woodruff Rd. towards or even past Five Forks headings towards 101? I'm on the fence to committing to Sprint or Verizon for Wireless Broadband and if LTE is imminent, I'll hold out for Sprint.

Wait for Sprint.  There wasn't any LTE live on Woodruff when I was there last week, but it's really close.  The towers are just about ready to come online, and there is a strong signal in that area, so you should have good LTE service once they come online.

• Like 1

The area you are describing is approximately where I live. Verizon LTE has been there for some time. I don't have Verizon but several of my friends do. Their signal is not reliable, especially during Spring and Summer when there is a full canopy of leaves on the trees. Speaking from my experience only, Sprint has been very reliable and has good signal penetration in the very rural area where I live and I look forward to the LTE upgrade on my local tower.

Hey does anyone know if the tower off exit 41 on I-26 near Enoree will be able to reach the exit before it in Cross Anchor? My buddy lives over there and the coverage is absolutely abysmal and the call quality is non-existent. I was over there the other day and tested the tower and it's working good but it hasn't reached to his house yet. Just curious if it will be able to in the future. 

Great news for any of you who live near the intersection of 378 and 26 in Columbia.

The Sprint tower there is being tested today to make sure everything is cleared for integration into the network. The Test Crew Manager said that LTE should be up by Friday, if not by mid week next week - depending upon the crew that follows his.

On the rich man's HTC, sipping on some Moonshine.

This weekend, I received LTE on my Galaxy S3 on I-26 heading from I-95 a few miles before Exit for I-77..  On I-77, LTE stayed on except for a brief retreat to 3G and then all the way past US1 before a retreat to 3G again...   I tested some throughput and saw it was around 5-6MB download speed..   I mapped all of this on Sensorly..

• Like 2

Great news for any of you who live near the intersection of 378 and 26 in Columbia.

The Sprint tower there is being tested today to make sure everything is cleared for integration into the network. The Test Crew Manager said that LTE should be up by Friday, if not by mid week next week - depending upon the crew that follows his.

The testing crew that was here found bad 1900 (gamma sector) and 800 (beta sector) antennas. Replaced both today and should have the new ground equipment in tomorrow as well as integration into the network. Live with LTE by the end of the week.

Test crew was headed to a tower this evening in the 2200 block of Harbison Blvd tonight and tomorrow. This crew and one other is supposed to be in the Greater Columbia Area for a while. Hopefully LTE deployment will be fairly quick for Columbia.

Edited by lilotimz

It's like we're in a stand still now here in the upstate. We were on fire getting LTE turned on left and right for a while but now I really haven't seen anything new light up in a while. I'm also still shocked that no towers within Spartanburg have been lit. Hoping to see them come on very soon. 

It's like we're in a stand still now here in the upstate. We were on fire getting LTE turned on left and right for a while but now I really haven't seen anything new light up in a while. I'm also still shocked that no towers within Spartanburg have been lit. Hoping to see them come on very soon. 

I had 4g for a few seconds on J Verne Smith Parkway(by the airport 

) on my way to work yesterday. It only scored 15 points on Sensorly, but it is progress. I also got 10 points worth over near Dillard Road in Greer 

. Unless I was getting both from the same tower, which is possible... Seems very spotty at the moment. 

For whatever reason, yesterday evening I noticed my phone switched to LTE.  I live and work a mile or two from the Sprint tower in Blythewood - not sure if that's the one that got turned on...I'll go over to the tower this evening with Sensorly if LTE is working to see whats going on.

Is there physically a light I'll see if LTE has been activated?

For whatever reason, yesterday evening I noticed my phone switched to LTE. I live and work a mile or two from the Sprint tower in Blythewood - not sure if that's the one that got turned on...I'll go over to the tower this evening with Sensorly if LTE is working to see whats going on.

Is there physically a light I'll see if LTE has been activated?

There is supposed to be another test crew in town, from what I know that crew is working that side of Columbia so it's a very real possibility. After the test crew passes a site the Integration crew follows as quickly as possible to integrate the tower into the network. If needed, part of their responsibilities is to remove the old cabinets and install the new LTE cabinets. This is happening today at the tower near the intersection of 26 and 378.

If the new 1900 and 800 radios are on, you should see a flashing green LED light on the bottom of each. There will be 3 of each type around the pole/rack pointed in different directions.

I tried to edit my post above, the test crew went to 296 Harbison Blvd. Tower is just behind the Chili's. When I was there at about 930 last night all 1900 radios had been passed off and he had just started on the 800 radios.

• Like 2

I had 4g for a few seconds on J Verne Smith Parkway(by the airport 

) on my way to work yesterday. It only scored 15 points on Sensorly, but it is progress. I also got 10 points worth over near Dillard Road in Greer 

. Unless I was getting both from the same tower, which is possible... Seems very spotty at the moment. 

Yeah in Greer I had it for just a second then it was gone. Also the tower where I've been connecting to every morning off 29 from Lyman towards Spartanburg is seeming to have an issue as I don't connect to it even after I pass it now, I use to get good range with it going for a couple miles, now it's maybe a mile or so, I assume they're just working on it some more. I'm just anxiously waiting for the tower a mile from where I work to turn on because the 3G over here is dreadful. 

There is supposed to be another test crew in town, from what I know that crew is working that side of Columbia so it's a very real possibility. After the test crew passes a site the Integration crew follows as quickly as possible to integrate the tower into the network. If needed, part of their responsibilities is to remove the old cabinets and install the new LTE cabinets. This is happening today at the tower near the intersection of 26 and 378.

If the new 1900 and 800 radios are on, you should see a flashing green LED light on the bottom of each. There will be 3 of each type around the pole/rack pointed in different directions.

I tried to edit my post above, the test crew went to 296 Harbison Blvd. Tower is just behind the Chili's. When I was there at about 930 last night all 1900 radios had been passed off and he had just started on the 800 radios.

This is so awesome.

Created an account just to let you guys know that I live in Irmo, a little past Harbison, towards Spartanburg (NW side of Columbia). I'm about 8-10 miles from Harbison, so not sure if I'll see it when it goes live, but I will keep an eye out and let you guys know if I see my phone switch over.

Not a hardcore cell tower geek as some of you guys are, but I will keep an eye out, and maybe even swing by that Chili's to see if I can see what you're talking about.

Again, thank you for the updates....LOOOONG time Sprint customer and this has been a LOOOONG time coming.

Edited by koil
  • Like 2

This is so awesome.

Created an account just to let you guys know that I live in Irmo, a little past Harbison, towards Spartanburg (NW side of Columbia). I'm about 8-10 miles from Harbison, so not sure if I'll see it when it goes live, but I will keep an eye out and let you guys know if I see my phone switch over.

Not a hardcore cell tower geek as some of you guys are, but I will keep an eye out, and maybe even swing by that Chili's to see if I can see what you're talking about.

Again, thank you for the updates....LOOOONG time Sprint customer and this has been a LOOOONG time coming.

Welcome to the site.

I doubt you'll see it from where you are when LTE does go live.

In order to get to the access road you'll have to drive down the wooded side of the Chili's down what the Tester called "Dumpster Road" and make a hard left up the incline towards the tower. If all went well last night and today, he expects integration crews to be on site in a day or 2.

They are currently working on the site on Avondale Rd in Keenan Terrace, near Burger King on N Main. Yesterday they hung 2 panels and RRU's. Today they are working on the 3rd set. The Lucent cabinet was just swapped out a few months ago from a Compact to a full blown 4.0.

Welcome to the site.

I doubt you'll see it from where you are when LTE does go live.

In order to get to the access road you'll have to drive down the wooded side of the Chili's down what the Tester called "Dumpster Road" and make a hard left up the incline towards the tower. If all went well last night and today, he expects integration crews to be on site in a day or 2.

Ok, so I drove down I-26 to a doctors appt I had today. From exit 102 (Lake Murray), down to exit 107A for I-20, through the Harbison area, I had strong 4G connection. Ran a quick speed test and was getting 10Mb down / 7ish up.

My doctors appt was actually exactly at 378 & I-26, and there was no LTE signal there. Not sure if they are finished testing there and moved on to Harbison or what, but there was no trace of it once I'd passed I-20. Same results on the trip home...but glad to see it really is going to happen! Do you think they'll expand it into Irmo, or were you saying that Harbison's going to be about it for the NW end of things?

Ok, so I drove down I-26 to a doctors appt I had today. From exit 102 (Lake Murray), down to exit 107A for I-20, through the Harbison area, I had strong 4G connection. Ran a quick speed test and was getting 10Mb down / 7ish up.

My doctors appt was actually exactly at 378 & I-26, and there was no LTE signal there. Not sure if they are finished testing there and moved on to Harbison or what, but there was no trace of it once I'd passed I-20. Same results on the trip home...but glad to see it really is going to happen! Do you think they'll expand it into Irmo, or were you saying that Harbison's going to be about it for the NW end of things?

The testing phase is complete at the 26 and 378 tower, now it's just a matter of how long it takes the Integration crew to get their part done. It looks as though they have dropped the new cabinets for LTE today, see attached picture. Should be online by Friday if all goes according to plan.

What you were connected to was probably the LTE tower at the top of the hill behind Sportsman Warehouse. That tower will reach past Harbisom Blvd, nearly to Lake Murray Blvd and to nearly I20.

The test crew doesn't know where he's going in a region until basically the week before. All the tester I was talking knew was he'll be in the Columbia area until further notice.

• Like 2

Posted Image

Here's what looks like the new cabinet that was installed today...

The gate was unlocked so I'm assuming they were at lunch or something with further work to be completed.

• Like 2

That's the New 4.0 for CDMA on the left.. Its been there for a month or 2.  The new cabinet will be a 4x4x1 box on an H frame. I did see the tower crew on that site earlier this week. You can also see the new RRU's under the sprint antenna line.