Network Vision/LTE - Lower Central Valley Market (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia)

aelenes

Is it that bad that no one wants to talk about Fresno getting Sprint LTE?  Hell, Redding is getting it and that is kind of like a punch in the gut for us Fresno residents.  Hell, I can't even get 3G in downtown.

No offense, but I'd rather be in Redding.  Redding is actually a nice town, in a decent setting.  Fresno...ehh.  Fresno is the Detroit of California.  Well, actually, Oakland is the Detroit of California.  Fresno is more like the Cleveland of California.

Robert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzkoeyhAAdk

• Like 1

Is it that bad that no one wants to talk about Fresno getting Sprint LTE? Hell, Redding is getting it and that is kind of like a punch in the gut for us Fresno residents. Hell, I can't even get 3G in downtown.

Redding is in a completely different market and have far less towers to work on then Fresno.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is it that bad that no one wants to talk about Fresno getting Sprint LTE?  Hell, Redding is getting it and that is kind of like a punch in the gut for us Fresno residents.  Hell, I can't even get 3G in downtown.

There's something wrong with your phone, then.

No, service downtown has always been poor. Not enough capacity for the daytime population, and not enough density to penetrate all the old buildings.

I'll agree with you there that you can't get any building penetration but at work I pick up lte but it's only a few places and I have to not move even an inch or I lose it

No, service downtown has always been poor. Not enough capacity for the daytime population, and not enough density to penetrate all the old buildings.

Oh I know it's poor, but it still says 3G.

Fulton mall area. There are times in the morning the 3g is on and is pretty good to stream Internet radio but once again you have to be at a certain part of a building and stuff and by 8 it's either gone or slowed to such a crawl that it's unusable

I am on the 4th floor of a building right across from City Hall, and I rarely get a 3G signal even sitting next to a window.  People do not use 3G at home as they usually have wifi, but it is different in downtown.  Sprint knows about it, but doesn't seem to care.  The old WIMAX signal is a whole lot stronger, but you can't leave the window.  I wouldn't mind 3G even if it were in the .5 mbps range, but that is just a dream.

Edited by ArcFlash

Down town is extremely spotty, I've also been without call signal down there (usually around 4:00 when everyone is getting off work). It's a mess for sure and hopefully they can get it fixed with the upgrades. I've been in heavy usage areas like the Anaheim convention center across from the Disneyland resort which is obviously one of the highest use areas imaginable) and I was actually getting incredible signal and able to upload videos etc.at around 20mbs, indoors. So I know they can get it right! 

I am on the 4th floor of a building right across from City Hall, and I rarely get a 3G signal even sitting next to a window.  People do not use 3G at home as they usually have wifi, but it is different in downtown.  Sprint knows about it, but doesn't seem to care.  The old WIMAX signal is a whole lot stronger, but you can't leave the window.  I wouldn't mind 3G even if it were in the .5 mbps range, but that is just a dream.

Oh yeah, that's a bad part of town. You're probably on the building-mounted setup across from the bank of the west. That site is routinely maxed out.

They do need to build another tower over near the train station or something.

Once B25, B26, and B41 are up, probably won't need new sites.  Only time will tell.   ;)

Im not convinced.

Looking at the sponsor map, theres only three towers in the entire downtown square

Im looking at from West to Cedar, and from Jensen to Olive.

The fact that Community Regional + City Hall have none nearby essentially dedicated to them is shocking. Id bet large sums of money that the pagers in use at Community dont run on Sprint...  And service inside the convention center block is also bad.

Im not convinced.

Looking at the sponsor map, theres only three towers in the entire downtown square

Im looking at from West to Cedar, and from Jensen to Olive.

The fact that Community Regional + City Hall have none nearby essentially dedicated to them is shocking. Id bet large sums of money that the pagers in use at Community dont run on Sprint...  And service inside the convention center block is also bad.

Average 3 sectors per site.  B25 37.5Mbps X 3,  B26 37.5Mbps X 3 and B41 70Mbps X 3.  That is 130Mbps+ per sector once everything is up.  When we have 20+20 on B41, it will be over 200Mbps+ per sector.

When all three bands are up and running, downtown Fresno will have over 1Gbps of capacity for 3 sites.  Yes, it may seem little for 3 sites.  I am comparing apples to apples.  In San Diego, we don't have a whole lot of sites compared to Los Angeles or even New York and are working just fine with what we have.  We don't have B26 and B41 yet and we are getting average 5-10Mbps peak times on B25 in Downtown San Diego. 

Don't forget DAS systems that are currently being deployed, that would likely reside at the convention center.

EDITED.  We just got a pico cell at our convention center on recent updates.  Now cannot wait for B41. Fresno is not far behind.

IMAG0529.jpg

Clovis Ave and Ashlan again, no idea what's going on but there sure is a lot of activity over this way over the last year and nothing's really changed, OK the call quality might be better and the signal is consistently better but ... definitely no LTE and just that one little blip of 1x800 a couple weeks back. 

Almost looks like they are camping out / having a picnic? LOL! There were a couple giant spools of cable, they've been here since yesterday, just got over to snap a photo today.

I work downtown and have a Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U.  Smartview reports that I have a great signal.  As I have had in all the places that I work.  The problem is that the internet is largely unusable as mentioned.  Every once in a great while I will get a normal ping and be able to do things like load a webpage.  Average page load times are 1-5 minutes.  I tried to do a speed test to show you the current awfulness but the internet is so bad right now that it cannot even complete a speed test...

I have called sprint numerous time to address the issue and the routinely say that it is a capacity problem that they cannot (or really will not) fix.  They always fob me off by saying that sprint is constantly analyzing capacity loads and that there will be a check on the tower by such and such date.  I am kind of at my wits end with the whole thing.  I love my unlimited everything but unlimited x 0 still results in 0. 

I was kind of trying to hang in and see if the LTE upgrades etc will fix anything but I don't know if I am just wasting my time or not.

Edit:  Just managed to push through the dang speed test:  Ping 1995, DS .06 mbps, US .05 mbps

:/

Edited by Panther5150

Is the flag pole site at shaw and 168 a sprint site? Can anyone say what they're up to over there?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Wishful Thinking

Yep, it sure is. It has been unsheathed like that for about a month; I'm fairly sure the new hardware is in place on the ground but the new antennas aren't up yet. There are new cables in the rung below the existing antennas, however.

• Like 1