Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Well that settles that. Thanks for the explanation. I've loved the S3 but I agree, if KNOX is standard and Sammys lockin down the bootloaders, I'll be moving to another OEM. Damn Google moving to get rid of external sd and sealing up the battery. Those are two huge points for me. I may be stuck on this phone forever.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My Kies finally said there was an update for my GS3 today (ND8). Update took about 30 minutes. Everything seems fine so far.

Hope you don't suffer with these signal problems that come with 4.4.2.

I have not seen any difference with LTE connection or performance.    But also note my area is not complete yet.

Have you tried flashing mk3 modem yet? im running SOKP with nd8 modem and it is terrible

Have you tried flashing mk3 modem yet? im running SOKP with nd8 modem and it is terrible

According to XDA no one has tried it yet in fear of hard-bricking their device and I don't want to be the first. :P So I am patiently waiting, although the patience is starting to run out.

According to XDA no one has tried it yet in fear of hard-bricking their device and I don't want to be the first. :P So I am patiently waiting, although the patience is starting to run out.

Yeah the patience is running out here too lol. I can't even look up an address while I'm on the road cuz I can't connect to data.

Yeah the patience is running out here too lol. I can't even look up an address while I'm on the road cuz I can't connect to data.

Even though I have upgraded towers wherever I go I am mainly stuck on 3G now and we all know NV 3G is better but not great so it's quite the change of life for me when I am used to LTE everywhere I went for the last year and now I am back to pre-nv status.

Even though I have upgraded towers wherever I go I am mainly stuck on 3G now and we all know NV 3G is better but not great so it's quite the change of life for me when I am used to LTE everywhere I went for the last year and now I am back to pre-nv status.

The 3g sucks here anyways but now I just can't connect to it at all. And I normally can connect to LTE around here but its just not connecting

The 3g sucks here anyways but now I just can't connect to it at all. And I normally can connect to LTE around here but its just not connecting

Yeah welcome to the ND8 modem, absolutely terrible.

And it appears that there is no way to flash a different modem, I am forever screwed with this S3. Can't wait until I get my iPhone 5 back so I won't have to deal with this crap.

I really don't see a difference in signal strength for LTE with ND8. Compared to MK3, the only difference I see is that it takes slightly longer to go back to LTE from 3G.

Overall, the entire KitKat update seems to have given new life to this phone. I really don't mind the new ND8 modem since my area is fairly advanced as far as NV upgrades go so 3G is usable again if I ever fall to it. One thing that people haven't really noticed is that WiFi works now. On 4.3, if my phone sat on the edge of my WiFi network, the speeds would be so slow that the phone would kick me out to LTE automatically. Now, my signal is a lot better and my speeds are way faster on on the same location. Before, my WiFi speeds on fringe area were 3-6 Mbps, but now on the same location the WiFi is anywhere from 13-18 Mbps.

Modems are can be changed. iPhones are terrible forever.

Not on ND8 they can't, at least not yet. Either way I am back on my iPhone for the first time in 7 months and I love it, a lot better signal now on both 3G and LTE and I am constantly on LTE. :)

Has anyone noticed the difference phone calls sound on the other end now? The person sounds louder but more high pitched. My wife is on the S3 also and when she calls me or vice versa the way she sounds like she is in the room with me talking to me directly in my ear. Sometimes I like it but others it just sounds weird. Wish I knew how to mess with it to make it sound like it used to.

Has anyone noticed the difference phone calls sound on the other end now? The person sounds louder but more high pitched. My wife is on the S3 also and when she calls me or vice versa the way she sounds like she is in the room with me talking to me directly in my ear. Sometimes I like it but others it just sounds weird. Wish I knew how to mess with it to make it sound like it used to.

Sounds like HD Voice

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like the all white now, that green battery icon was an eyesore. Question for all of those running ND8, is anyone else having issues connecting to LTE? on MK3 I was on LTE everywhere I went and now I only get it when I toggle airplane mode and or sit in an area for a few minutes. I've tried a restore and all of that and no change I am almost tempted to just throw cyanogenmod on it so I can still have 4.4.2 but have my LTE back.

I am having a ton of LTE and connectivity issues in Chicago now that I updated my Android today to 4.4.2.  I don't know what this N8 modem is but whatever has happened its effecting me as well.  I am getting way worse LTE coverage where I was getting OK before, and the phone is having trouble locking and holding 3G in places it never had problems in the past.  It keep shunning between the two much more frequently throughout the day, and also keeps moving between eHRPD and 1X like constantly.  Before I was either on LTE in the -100 to -115 range or it would bump to a solid eHRPD at -80 to -90 and it would stay there.  Now its going crazy keeps going in and out of everything while I sit at my desk in my office. 

So what happened with this update?  Google change the Modem build in the software and now it doesn't work properly on GS3s?

I am having a ton of LTE and connectivity issues in Chicago now that I updated my Android today to 4.4.2. I don't know what this N8 modem is but whatever has happened its effecting me as well. I am getting way worse LTE coverage where I was getting OK before, and the phone is having trouble locking and holding 3G in places it never had problems in the past. It keep shunning between the two much more frequently throughout the day, and also keeps moving between eHRPD and 1X like constantly. Before I was either on LTE in the -100 to -115 range or it would bump to a solid eHRPD at -80 to -90 and it would stay there. Now its going crazy keeps going in and out of everything while I sit at my desk in my office.

So what happened with this update? Google change the Modem build in the software and now it doesn't work properly on GS3s?

I don't know exactly what the issue is but I've had enough lol, it's like being back on the MK3 modem now with my iPhone I'm happy for now until they maybe fix the issue but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know exactly what the issue is but I've had enough lol, it's like being back on the MK3 modem now with my iPhone I'm happy for now until they maybe fix the issue but I doubt it.

Agrees this modem IMHO is the worst to date on the phone. I am guessing Sprint possibly tinkered with it on purpose and most likely the radio scans don't happen as often which is why we are having the phone not switch back to LTE so quickly when losing it like MK3 was doing.

I'm personally back to the problems I was having when LTE was just rolling out in the Atlanta area, basically even if an area has LTE and I'm driving through I won't be near that tower long enough for the phone to actually switch from 3G to it.

My whole commute is LTE(32 miles) , but some days if I had left my phone low or in my pocket before I get in my car it will have connected to 3G (which is still horribly unusable in Atlanta even after upgrades) and then even if I sit it up high in my holder in my car it never reconnects to LTE without forcing airplane mode which I hadn't had to do the last few modems before.

Now with the issue with not being able to swap back and forth between modems anymore without possibly bootlooping or bricking I'm just glad I will be getting a new phone in a month or so hopefully.

Edited by troyd96

Agrees this modem IMHO is the worst to date on the phone. I am guessing Sprint possibly tinkered with it on purpose and most likely the radio scans don't happen as often which is why we are having the phone not switch back to LTE so quickly when losing it like MK3 was doing.

I'm personally back to the problems I was having when LTE was just rolling out in the Atlanta area, basically even if an area has LTE and I'm driving through I won't be near that tower long enough for the phone to actually switch from 3G to it.

My whole commute is LTE(32 miles) , but some days if I had left my phone low or in my pocket before I get in my car it will have connected to 3G (which is still horribly unusable in Atlanta even after upgrades) and then even if I sit it up high in my holder in my car it never reconnects to LTE without forcing airplane mode which I hadn't had to do the last few modems before.

Now with the issue with not being able to swap back and forth between modems anymore without possibly bootlooping or bricking I'm just glad I will be getting a new phone in a month or so hopefully.

Yeah I feel your pain man, maybe they'll fix it but I doubt anytime soon.

Well for what its worth I called Sprint Tech Support to just at least see if they were aware of this connectivity issues on S3's now after the update.  Ironically, the agent I spoke with has a GS3 of her own and said she had the same exact problem after installing the latest Android update too.  She was fully aware personally, not sure about Sprint in general.  She said she was able to rectify but didn't go into details.  I assume she meant someone at work helped her flash her OS to a previous version without the modem/connectivity issue.  As for me, she had no clue what to do in terms of troubleshooting, there wasn't even a playbook in their system for this, hence why I called.  It probably wont do anything but they gave me like some sort of custom technician to work with they say will call me.  Who knows if they can do anything, or if anything short of returning to previous Android version will fix the issue.

Similar issues, how awful.  I find it hard to believe a QA team (at Google or Sprint) would let something that can absolutely cripple the functionality of the phone slip through the cracks.  Now they are going to have to deal with 1M phone calls in the next week or so from angry people whose LTE connectivity dropped to the floor.  I have the same issues as you described above, except my phone sometimes now drops from LTE to 3G eHRPD, down to 1XRTT, and even down to no service all the while sitting at my desk in the office during a typical workday.  THAT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!  When its in no service I have to Airplane mode as well to get it to go to anything above 1X.  This is really a shame.  The Kit Kate update has literally ruined my phone.

What sucks is that other than the radio issue the update brought new life to the phone. Smoothest ROM yet besides the connectivity issue.