Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Verizon and AT&T compete directly with the local cable company in many cases. In my area, I have Verizon FiOS, and Cox is also available (but significantly more expensive for whatever reason).

- Trip

That is my point exactly. Who cares if all the cable companies merged together. In the vast majority of markets it wouldnt make any difference in the number of providers people have to choose from.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aren't these talks with Charter and Comcast just about deploying Strand Mount Small Cells?  This would be a fantastic way to densify Sprint's network.  The NIMBY's won't even notice these since they are so used to the existing equipment hanging on the lines.

• Like 1

I don't get the anti-trust argument against cable companies merging. They dont compete directly. Cable companies are local monopolies who compete with sat. And telephone companies to deliver content.

Antitrust concerns are not limited to consumer interests.  They extend to market influence over content providers.  The larger the merged cable companies -- even if that only minimally affects competition at the consumer level -- the more likely the merged cable companies can make or break any content and content providers.

AJ

• Like 3

Antitrust concerns are not limited to consumer interests. They extend to market influence over content providers. The larger the merged cable companies -- even if that only minimally affects competition at the consumer level -- the more likely the merged cable companies can make or break any content and content providers.

AJ

Content providers have a plethora of delivery methods, many of which are under utilized because of the relatively good relationships between content and deviled companies. A good example of the is HBO now and how long it took HBO to take that step.

That is my point exactly. Who cares if all the cable companies merged together. In the vast majority of markets it wouldnt make any difference in the number of providers people have to choose from.

I believe you are right about cable. The path I think things may be on, is where one company controls all the cable in the nation, along with one half of the national wireless carrier competitive market, while the other company controls all the phone line and entertainment satellite providers, along with the other half of the national wireless carrier competitive market.

Such as Charter and Comcast buying up the Cable market across the country so they can provide national bundles through the potential Sprint/Verizon conglomerate, while AT&T markets advanced DSL/Fiber bundles, along with Directv/Dish (unless Verizon takes Dish as an alternative to Cable the way Directv is somewhat of an alternative to Uverse), bundling services through AT&T/T-Mobile.

Of course, this could completely not happen if Sprint goes ahead with T-Mobile, though its questionable at the moment.

I believe you are right about cable. The path I think things may be on, is where one company controls all the cable in the nation, along with one half of the national wireless carrier competitive market, while the other company controls all the phone line and entertainment satellite providers, along with the other half of the national wireless carrier competitive market.

Such as Charter and Comcast buying up the Cable market across the country so they can provide national bundles through the potential Sprint/Verizon conglomerate, while AT&T markets advanced DSL/Fiber bundles, along with Directv/Dish (unless Verizon takes Dish as an alternative to Cable the way Directv is somewhat of an alternative to Uverse), bundling services through AT&T/T-Mobile.

Of course, this could completely not happen if Sprint goes ahead with T-Mobile, though its questionable at the moment.

But also the cable providers infrastructure like the fiber optics that really can help Sprint upgrade the rest of their Network and as was mentioned before densify it to. I'm just interested to see what happens.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The same will be true of time warner content soon, They will have to negotiate with ATT. I dont see problems with that.

So, you are in favor of just a few gigantic "walled gardens" for content and delivery?  And no Net Neutrality protections for consumers and society at large?

AJ

• Like 5

But also the cable providers infrastructure like the fiber optics that really can help Sprint upgrade the rest of their Network and as was mentioned before densify it to. I'm just interested to see what happens.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

This probably is a reason why Charter and Comcast are looking at Sprint. If they can consolidate cable across the nation with their own cable, that could be used as backhaul for Sprint to really succeed. My theory is they'll get Sprint, then use Sprint on a national basis for why they need to pickup other cable companies across the nation, also for service bundling purposes too. Then the excuse will be the need for more towers, and from there they can introduce Verizon into it as making a stronger company between Verizon and Sprint.

The network reach of Verizon, the immense spectrum of Sprint, in conjunction with the cable reach of the combined cable companies would make for a very strong national carrier completely ready for 5G and beyond. The cable is essential for this, which is why after a deal with Sprint, if that were to happen, likely would bring on the cable mergers.

Aren't these talks with Charter and Comcast just about deploying Strand Mount Small Cells?  This would be a fantastic way to densify Sprint's network.  The NIMBY's won't even notice these since they are so used to the existing equipment hanging on the lines.

Not sure why everyone else thinks it's anything more than that. T-Mobile has already been doing the same in some areas.

• Like 1

First time I see Google mentioned in any Comcast/Charter/Sprint article. 

Jeff Kagan: Sprint is the Bell of the Comcast, Charter Google Ball.

On a side note, since the above article reminded me of SpectrumCo LLC with so many hands in the pot, I noticed something odd when I looked up the company.

According to Crunchbase, SpectrumCo is still a sub set of Comcast, that much I knew. But the website listed on Crunchbase points to fiercewireless.com. But the FW website states it's a division of Questex. Confusing to say the least.

1s1dho.jpg

TS

• Like 5

So, you are in favor of just a few gigantic "walled gardens" for content and delivery? And no Net Neutrality protections for consumers and society at large?

AJ

We have had discussion on net neutrality before. You are pro and I don't think the government should decide how profits are divided up between content and infurstructor companies. Do people value being able to access their content quickly and reliably from anywhere they are located more that have more choices on content? I don't know and I don't the government does either.

I would like to point out that in the history of the internet net neutrality has never had the force of law except a few years under the Obama administration. In all that time before that date nothing like the apocalyptic vision of the internet came into being and there is no reason to think it would, because the consumer values the openness of the internet. The closest you can come to a walled garden is the app store but even then every iphone has a web browser.

First time I see Google mentioned in any Comcast/Charter/Sprint article. 

Jeff Kagan: Sprint is the Bell of the Comcast, Charter Google Ball.

On a side note, since the above article reminded me of SpectrumCo LLC with so many hands in the pot, I noticed something odd when I looked up the company.

According to Crunchbase, SpectrumCo is still a sub set of Comcast, that much I knew. But the website listed on Crunchbase points to fiercewireless.com. But the FW website states it's a division of Questex. Confusing to say the least.

1s1dho.jpg

TS

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing. Finally, someone sees the fruits of Sprint's efforts.
  • Like 1

Wasn't sure where to post this.  This thread seems as good as any.

Went out and about last night and spotted this:

http://imgur.com/Y1FdQb4

Do you see it?  If not, here's a zoomed picture.

http://imgur.com/vqbms0A

That's a Verizon small cell.  I knew it was there because of the -50 dBm AWS signal on my Verizon phone, but it took me a while to find it.  When I got home, I found the building permit for it; it was apparently filed 12/15/16, issued 3/1/17, and passed inspection on 6/5/17.  ( https://apps.alexandriava.gov/permittracker/CaseDetails.aspx?casenum=BLD2016-02856

I wish Sprint could move so fast...

- Trip

• Like 6

- Trip

Hopefully it will one day.

Magic Boxes coming this Fall apparently: https://www.sprint.com/content/Sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/services/magic-box/status.html

(Updated: June 30, 2017)

Tidal is still acting as a money sink in my opinion. Sprint should sell its $200M stake (assuming it can get that much or more) and put the money into CapEx for the worst of the worst sites. Assuming $100,000 per site, that could be 2,000 new/upgraded sites which is an appreciable amount. That would be a substantial performance boost for the network in the most needed locations.

Sprint actually bought Digital copies of Jay-Z's album which helped it go Platinum in six days: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7857108/jay-z-444-certified-platinum-riaa-sprint-promotion

• Like 2

- Trip

This is what I've been saying all along! Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all move really fast when they set their mind to something. B12 adds have been popping up weekly for TMO, Verizon can do its macro builds within a few weeks (the biggest delays there are getting backhaul in place), and AT&T can seemingly do carrier adds overnight.

• Like 2

This is what I've been saying all along! Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all move really fast when they set their mind to something. B12 adds have been popping up weekly for TMO, Verizon can do its macro builds within a few weeks (the biggest delays there are getting backhaul in place), and AT&T can seemingly do carrier adds overnight.

And Sprint does well... nothing lol I'm hoping there will be some movement soon but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wasn't sure where to post this.  This thread seems as good as any.

Went out and about last night and spotted this:

http://imgur.com/Y1FdQb4

Do you see it?  If not, here's a zoomed picture.

http://imgur.com/vqbms0A

That's a Verizon small cell.  I knew it was there because of the -50 dBm AWS signal on my Verizon phone, but it took me a while to find it.  When I got home, I found the building permit for it; it was apparently filed 12/15/16, issued 3/1/17, and passed inspection on 6/5/17.  ( https://apps.alexandriava.gov/permittracker/CaseDetails.aspx?casenum=BLD2016-02856

- Trip

Man that's freaking awesome. I'm assuming they have some form of fixed backhaul for them? Curious how they got fiber there, unless they ran it up the side of the building?

Tidal is still acting as a money sink in my opinion. Sprint should sell its $200M stake (assuming it can get that much or more) and put the money into CapEx for the worst of the worst sites. Assuming $100,000 per site, that could be 2,000 new/upgraded sites which is an appreciable amount. That would be a substantial performance boost for the network in the most needed locations.

Sprint actually bought Digital copies of Jay-Z's album which helped it go Platinum in six days: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7857108/jay-z-444-certified-platinum-riaa-sprint-promotion

I'm no fan of exclusives, but its a necessary evil in this day and age to differentiate yourself, jumping on a Jay Z and Beyonce combo isn't a bad place to start. Also, does not hurt that people are giving 4:44 stupendous reviews (Album is truly one of the best hip hop albums in a looong time)

• Like 1

Man that's freaking awesome. I'm assuming they have some form of fixed backhaul for them? Curious how they got fiber there, unless they ran it up the side of the building?

If that's NoVA where Trip's profile says he is then Verizon fiber is a plenty over there. I'm sure they just ran a strand of fiber from the nearest terminal to the building for it. 

• Like 1

I'm no fan of exclusives, but its a necessary evil in this day and age to differentiate yourself, jumping on a Jay Z and Beyonce combo isn't a bad place to start. Also, does not hurt that people are giving 4:44 stupendous reviews (Album is truly one of the best hip hop albums in a looong time)

It's funny I randomly tried to get Tidal working today after a month and it worked, have no plans to listen to the jayz album though.

• Like 1

It's funny I randomly tried to get Tidal working today after a month and it worked, have no plans to listen to the jayz album though.

If your not a poetic hip hop fan, then that's fine I guess. But if you are, your basically doing yourself a disservice.

• Like 1

If your not a poetic hip hop fan, then that's fine I guess. But if you are, your basically doing yourself a disservice.

I'm more into the old school hip hop at this point in my life, pre 2004 is where you'll catch me. :P

• Like 3