iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

I don't understand why there had to be a separate Verizon and Sprint version.  The only physical difference I can tell is that the Verizon version is missing TDD LTE bands.  Surely, the inclusion of these bands could not be a detriment to the Verizon model.  And the inclusion of Verizon VoLTE and WiFi calling could have easily been disabled on Sprint if the same model.

Maybe the Verizon model has simultaneous voice and data?  But I don't think the last one did?  Is it possible that Verizon was able to convince Apple of getting their own version?  To help insulate themselves from people jailbreaking their device and possibly using it any way they please?  I just am not exactly sure what to think of the different models.

Robert

That actually threw me off when I saw the LTE page. I don't believe any of the Verizon iPhones offer sim-voice and data.

I now have an excuse to buy an 802.11ac router. Excellent.

C'mon, Almond+!

You can be like my irl best friend and get a Motorola sb6183+asus ac87u+ac68u.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Given the new unlock rules after paying off subsidies, a Verizon or AT&T customer could move their phone to Sprint if it was the same model.  Crafty bastards.

Robert

What's going to happen given Sprint's new unlocking policy? Will it be possible to unlock iPhone 6 for usage on domestic GSM carriers or will we have to wait for iPhone 6S?

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.

For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked. Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment"), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked domestically.

Did they say when the iPhone 6 would be available to look at in stores?  I'm pretty sure I'm getting a 4.7 instead of the 5.5, but it would be nice to see them in person first to make sure.

I now have an excuse to buy an 802.11ac router. Excellent.

C'mon, Almond+!

Whatever happened to the update for that device? The kickstarter was done along time ago and they surpassed their amount but nothing, nada, zilch?

TS

It's a phone. Not a battle.

No, at times, iPhone borders on a religion.  So, call me Copernicus.

I am almost always correct.  And I say that not to aggrandize my own ego but to educate people.  If you listen to me, you get good information.

AJ

• Like 4

Wait so does the phone support band 41?!?! sorry I just got off work and I have to head somewhere. Don't have time to rematch the keynote or read this thread in its entirety

Yes.

iPhone 6

Model A1586

iPhone 6 Plus

Model A1524

United States

C-Spire

Sprint

US Cellular

(2100 MHz)(1900 MHz)(1800 MHz)(AWS)(850 MHz)(2600 MHz)(900 MHz) 13 (700c MHz) 17 (700b MHz) 18 (800 MHz) 19 (800 MHz) 20 (800 DD) 25 (1900 MHz) 26 (800 MHz) 28 (700 APT MHz) 29 (700 de MHz) 38 (TD 2600) 39 (TD 1900) 40 (TD 2300) 41 (TD 2500)

Edited by ipplanman

What's going to happen given Sprint's new unlocking policy? Will it be possible to unlock iPhone 6 for usage on domestic GSM carriers or will we have to wait for iPhone 6S?

I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.

For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked. Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment"), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked domestically.

From what I understand, since the Sprint one supports all the bands the non-Sprint one does, technically that would work fine.

It should be unlockable after device subsidy is paid off, according to the new laws.  The new iPhones cannot be exempt from this.

However, we are not sure which GSM bands the Sprint model will support since it is an international version and not sharing the same model with North American GSM carriers.

Robert

Whatever happened to the update for that device? The kickstarter was done along time ago and they surpassed their amount but nothing, nada, zilch?

TS

I just read an update on their kickstarter page that they've shipped 98% of the funded orders. I wanted to buy this like 6 months ago. It seems like production really sucked.

It should be unlockable after device subsidy is paid off, according to the new laws.  The new iPhones cannot be exempt from this.

However, we are not sure which GSM bands the Sprint model will support since it is an international version and not sharing the same model with North American GSM carriers.

Robert

Can't we tell from this? http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Cellular and Wireless

Model A1549 (GSM)*

Model A1522 (GSM)*

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

Model A1549 (CDMA)*

Model A1522 (CDMA)*

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

Model A1586*

Model A1524*

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

All models

802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi

Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

NFC

Edited by ipplanman

No, at times, iPhone borders on a religion. So, call me Copernicus.

I am almost always correct. And I say that not to aggrandize my own ego but to educate people. If you listen to me, you get good information.

AJ

People are just waiting for the softer side of AJ. ;)

(I like to think that after all this time of reading your posts, I "get" your style and am not offended by it or anything)

• Like 2

Can't we tell from this? http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Based on that, it looks like the Sprint model would be usable on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, if unlocked. Verizon may decide to block iPhones from other networks. The new laws only prohibit the originating network from blocking it's use on another. It does not require other networks to accept it, though.

However, Tmo and AT&T will likely happily accept them and give you a SIM card for it after you pay off your Sprint contract. But I wouldn't be shocked if Apple requires them not to accept iPhones from other providers. It would be a way to get them to buy yet another iPhone at the next provider.

So it may turn out an unlocked iPhone from any carrier is not usable on ANY other network, even after unlocked. We will have to see what happens when people try.

Robert

Damn the sprint variant has 20 LTE bands.

Why couldn't it be 21?!?!?!  :lol:

Somewhat seriously, I wouldn't mind B12 for ultimate rural partnership support. :tu:

Robert

• Like 2

With today's announcement, we're finally inching towards a better Sprint network. Love them, or hate them, Apple users make up a large chunk of Sprint subscribers. Anyone coming off a 5 (2 years ago) will have access to 26, 41. 5s upgraders will add band 41, effectively helping to divvy up network traffic. It's a win-win for everyone.

• Like 7

Based on that, it looks like the Sprint model would be usable on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, if unlocked. Verizon may decide to block iPhones from other networks. The new laws only prohibit the originating network from blocking it's use on another. It does not require other networks to accept it, though.

However, Tmo and AT&T will likely happily accept them and give you a SIM card for it after you pay off your Sprint contract. But I wouldn't be shocked if Apple requires them not to accept iPhones from other providers. It would be a way to get them to buy yet another iPhone at the next provider.

So it may turn out an unlocked iPhone from any carrier is not usable on ANY other network, even after unlocked. We will have to see what happens when people try.

Robert

Good point. I wonder if the inclusion of VoLTE plays any role in whether an unlocked phone from another carrier (like Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T) can be used on Verizon.... as CDMA provisioning won't be the limiting factor. Same goes for moving an unlocked phone to Sprint...

Thoughts?

With today's announcement, we're finally inching towards a better Sprint network. Love them, or hate them, Apple users make up a large chunk of Sprint subscribers. Anyone coming off a 5 (2 years ago) will have access to 26, 41. 5s upgraders will add band 41, effectively helping to divvy up network traffic. It's a win-win for everyone.

This only matters if the network around you has those other bands.