JBOUTSIDEKC

Most recent smartphone that compliments Airave usage....

Yep, so I am a newbie, and have a question. My life and business depends on the Airave in many ways. I live within an 8 block radius of the NOCC for Sprint (National Operations Control Center) and have had horrible prob's in the past. With the Airave and my Blackberry Tour 3G, all has gone well over the last 3 years. Been with Sprint since '98, and have heard the downfalls of buying out contract as well as other carriers and their nightmares. So I would like to stay put. My question:

If you have experienced or know someone who has recent experience like mine above, what would be the best phone and phone setup to use without staying with BlackBerry?

Thanks, but after a lot of research, I am pretty much done with BB, I don't think there is a way in the world they are going to be able to rebound but that's just my opinion.

I have been considering the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

The Airrave will work with any CDMA Sprint phone, so I don't think that's that big of a consideration.

If you're sticking in the Smartphone world, you have to pick between the iPhone and anything Android. I recommend Android for a multitude of reasons, and coming from Blackberry, you're gonna be blown away.

I personally have the HTC EVO 4G LTE, and it is a great phone, but it has a few quirks (as many here will tell you). If you want an amazing experience, the Samsung Galaxy S3 comes highly recommended. Haven't yet had one returned to where I work.

I would skip the EVO LTE for now with it's LTE connectivity issues.

I have a GS3 and the original airave and do not have any problems.

Thanks to all 3 who have responded thus far, bgguy digiblur and koiulpoi. Had done a lot of homework and research, but hadn't found any feedback in the last 6 months so thought I would ask. I have looked at the EVO and the Samsung Galaxy and definitely will look again.

FYI, for anyone else looking at this thread in the future, the iPhone 5 works fine with the Airave 2.5 that arrived today. 2.3 Mbps down & 0.6 Mbps up. zy8u6y2u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FWIW we stayed at the Hyatt Place a block or so away from the campus last weekend. Was hoping for better LTE (got no better than 4/2 in my speed tests) or maybe even 800MHz SMR, but no luck.

FYI, for anyone else looking at this thread in the future, the iPhone 5 works fine with the Airave 2.5 that arrived today. 2.3 Mbps down & 0.6 Mbp

I was recently sent an Airave 2.5 after my Airave 2.0 started to behave oddly. To be honest, it's performance with the iPhone 5 has not been at all reliable. Both my wife and I are using the 2.5 for Sprint service in our apartment, she's on an Android device and has no issues with the 2.5 at all. With the iPhone 5, however, I'm constantly losing connection to the 2.5, often roaming for no reason whatsoever. Data constantly bounces between 1X and 3G, again, for seemingly no reason. In addition, my iPhone often seems to have trouble finding the 2.5 and occasionally requires me to flip to airplane mode and back in order to search for Sprint. I'm considering taking my iPhone to the Apple store to have it checked out because something is up but I can say that the iPhone 5 actually worked better with the Airave 2.0 than it does with the 2.5.

I was recently sent an Airave 2.5 after my Airave 2.0 started to behave oddly. To be honest, it's performance with the iPhone 5 has not been at all reliable. Both my wife and I are using the 2.5 for Sprint service in our apartment, she's on an Android device and has no issues with the 2.5 at all. With the iPhone 5, however, I'm constantly losing connection to the 2.5, often roaming for no reason whatsoever. Data constantly bounces between 1X and 3G, again, for seemingly no reason. In addition, my iPhone often seems to have trouble finding the 2.5 and occasionally requires me to flip to airplane mode and back in order to search for Sprint. I'm considering taking my iPhone to the Apple store to have it checked out because something is up but I can say that the iPhone 5 actually worked better with the Airave 2.0 than it does with the 2.5.

Morningside78, this does sound odd as my daughter comes home several times a year and her iPhone seems to work well off the Airave.Good luck at the Apple store, with my limited knowledge i would try that next as well.

FWIW we stayed at the Hyatt Place a block or so away from the campus last weekend. Was hoping for better LTE (got no better than 4/2 in my speed tests) or maybe even 800MHz SMR, but no luck.

Mirlyn, I moved into my house 3 years ago and oh the stories I could tell from being so close to the NOCC and literally in a black hole as far as service. I can tell you the precise tree as you travel south on my street where the Airave is going to lose the call and I have no signal and the call drops.

Over the last year, I have done better about developing a sense of humor about it. My GF has AT&T and when her 2 kids visit with AT&T as well, they have their own set of issues here at the house when the weather changes. I just find it weird/funny I have the issues I do right here in their backyard, but keeping my sense of humor as all have their own sets of issues.

the 2.5's have a known issue with android LTE devices and it also manifests itself with iphone LTE devices.  The only workaround is to disable LTE when in airave range.  Even then it's not totally reliable.  

the 2.5's have a known issue with android LTE devices and it also manifests itself with iphone LTE devices. The only workaround is to disable LTE when in airave range. Even then it's not totally reliable.

I have a 2.5 and the Note2, S3, and EVO LTE have zero issues using it. I have actually found it more reliable than the Airave 2.0.

• Like 2

I have the Airave 2.5 with several Samsung GS3's in the house and an iphone 5 with no issues

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

i just know what i've been told by the sprint engineers..not regular tech support..I've gone above them on several occasions.  The only phone not having issues here even with multiple airave replacements is my daughter's trender...the other phones have issues..They did say they've been waiting for a new firmware..something i haven't seen yet here.  

i just know what i've been told by the sprint engineers..not regular tech support..I've gone above them on several occasions. The only phone not having issues here even with multiple airave replacements is my daughter's trender...the other phones have issues..They did say they've been waiting for a new firmware..something i haven't seen yet here.

I remember when my girlfriend first got her iPhone 5 it would not connect to the airave but she just googled that problem and found out it is very common on the iphones but I'm pretty sure all she did after that was a prl update and never had an issue since. We only use wifi at home though as far as data connection's

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

i just know what i've been told by the sprint engineers..not regular tech support..I've gone above them on several occasions.  The only phone not having issues here even with multiple airave replacements is my daughter's trender...the other phones have issues..They did say they've been waiting for a new firmware..something i haven't seen yet here.  

I think they told you that to just get you off the phone to be honest.  Otherwise we would have tons of people complaining about the airave here.  I don't see any reason how having LTE on would affect your Airave connectivity.  Your phone is just scanning the G block periodically for LTE which obviously the Airave does not have.  The only situation I could think this would affect anything would be if you have a weak LTE signal and your phone was constantly trying to use it.  This would cause the data connection to hang when it was attempting to handshake.  If you had wifi turned on this wouldn't happen anyways. 

nopers..when it scans lte the device boots the device off the airave for at least 5 minutes.  I've been able to replicate this over and over.  I've talked at length with engineers about this..:)  There's also rf issues with the 2.5 which i brought to their attention(my HAM and military training came in handy here)...all in all the airave 2.5 is a badly flawed device..let's hope the next version isn't a further regression...

Weird.. Maybe I have a different hardware revision. Loving it over the flaky 2.0 one.