Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

RF is radio frequency? I was leaning towards the regular galaxy s6. Am I stepping up or down from the S4?

The S6 is a huge step up from the S4, with the exception of an expandable memory slot and removable battery.

Thanks. I hate the lack of SD card and removable battery. But I don't want to wait for the S7 and risk losing the 2 year upgrade option. I'd prefer not to lease a phone. I am interested in the S6 getting better cell reception and potentially data reception. Specifically on my mom's line as she has issues at her house with the S4

I'm about to decide whether to upgrade three lines with Sprint, or leave for another provider. 

My mom is my third line on my account. I've had sprint for 17+ years, including growing up in my parents home.  We didn't really have service issues - maybe some as we are rural, but it worked. Earlier this year she had major service issues - both cell signal and data.  She only has 3G in most areas of her house.  That frustrates me as she is within the 4G coverage map.

A few thoughts...

The coverage map is for outdoor locations.  No wireless operator guarantees indoor signal based on a coverage map.  So, if your mom has "4G" outside her house, then the coverage map depiction is accurate.

Inside her house, your mom does not need "4G."  Sprint does not use LTE for voice calling yet, not for several more years.  Sprint still uses "3G" for voice calling.  So, as long as she has "3G" inside the house, voice calling should be fine.  For data use at home, she should be on Wi-Fi.  Along the same lines, some newer Sprint handsets even support Wi-Fi voice calling.

AJ

My mom doesn't have wifi. So the data service is important. Secondly she has cell signal issues... Her phone can be sitting on the kitchen table and not ring at all when people call her. So that's an issue. And that is the biggest reason we've considered going to Verizon. Hard to leave unlimited data though especially when one line doesn't have wifi access.

My mom doesn't have wifi. So the data service is important. Secondly she has cell signal issues... Her phone can be sitting on the kitchen table and not ring at all when people call her. So that's an issue. And that is the biggest reason we've considered going to Verizon. Hard to leave unlimited data though especially when one line doesn't have wifi access.

She has a cellphone, she uses data, so why does she not have Wi-Fi at home?  The S4GRU staff stance is that people at home should use Wi-Fi, not "unlimited" data on the macro cellular network -- the latter is part of what causes slow data speeds for everyone.

Now, if she has "3G" signal issues at home, a new handset is not apt to fix that.  Her Samsung Galaxy S4 probably already is on CDMA1X 800, which is Sprint's low band signal for voice calling.  You can install SignalCheck Pro on her handset to double check this.  But for signal inside buildings, CDMA1X 800 is as good as it gets on Sprint.

For your benefit, I checked our S4GRU maps, and based on your zip code, your only serving site in reasonable proximity is on the southwest end of Mascoutah.  Or if you are toward the western edge of your zip code, maybe the site north of Freeburg, too.  Both sites are fully Network Vision upgraded.  So, service is unlikely to improve beyond what is available now.

That is why having broadband Internet at home is important.  It allows you to use Wi-Fi for data -- or even voice calling on some recent handsets.  Alternatively, you can request an Airave from Sprint that will create your own little cell site inside the house for "3G" voice calling and data.  Again, all of the above requires home broadband Internet.

AJ

So she's of an older generation and does not have any internet access to her house.  Therefore no wifi.  I'm not going to be able to change that.  Again her 3G data service will work fine. Not a big deal.  However, I'm one of three kids - at one point we all lived in that house and had 4 phones on sprint (my dad was never on sprint).  And we didn't have cell reception issues like she does now. She lives on the east side of Mascoutah - between mascoutah and new baden.  We live less than 2 miles apart and the difference in service is astounding.  Maybe Verizon would be the better situation for us.  They seem to excel in rural communities.   Thanks!

So she's of an older generation and does not have any internet access to her house.  Therefore no wifi.  I'm not going to be able to change that.  Again her 3G data service will work fine. Not a big deal.  However, I'm one of three kids - at one point we all lived in that house and had 4 phones on sprint (my dad was never on sprint).  And we didn't have cell reception issues like she does now. She lives on the east side of Mascoutah - between mascoutah and new baden.  We live less than 2 miles apart and the difference in service is astounding.  Maybe Verizon would be the better situation for us.  They seem to excel in rural communities.   Thanks!

Technically, your mom has Internet access at her house -- it just is coming from her cellphone.  By doing so, she should understand that she is in part causing her own problem.  Again, for numerous reasons, S4GRU staff does not recommend relying upon Sprint "unlimited" data as sole means of Internet access at home -- unless under rare circumstances, it is the only option available.

With your additional location information, I can add that there is another fully Network Vision upgraded site along I-64 just south of New Baden.  If your mom lives halfway in between, that could explain a lot of her signal issues.  Being in building halfway between two relatively rural cell sites is no fun -- fringe signals from both sites interfere with each other.  Perhaps when you were growing up, one of those sites had not been built yet.  That could help explain the difference in service from then until now.

Or a different site existed but has been decommissioned.  Or one of the sites was relocated.  Or the antenna configuration and power output were changed when the sites were upgraded for Network Vision.  Or you were using flip phones with extensible antennas.  Or fewer people in your area were on Sprint, thus less network congestion.  Almost too many possibilities to list.

VZW could be a better choice, but who knows?  Wireless signal is all about location.  Unless VZW has a cell site closer to her house, your mom may face similar signal issues.

AJ

• Like 1

Thanks for that information.  She doesn't live very far from the 64/New Baden exit.  That's probably the closest tower. 

In terms of data - quite frankly her and I use about the same amount ~3gb/month.  And I have wifi access in many locations.  I was kind of surprised I used that much and that she uses that "little".  So her data consumption is not high by any means imo.  I've heard of people using much much more with wifi access.  

The important issue is cellular signal.  

Up above (previous page) EvanA told me that my S4 (which is the version before the spark enabled tri-band version) is missing sprint's low freq band (800MHz). . . which is the band you mentioned above right?  Therefore I thought the S6 having that band might just enhance the cell signal at her house.  Now I'm *very* new to understanding bands I might have misunderstood all this information, please correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Thanks!

She has a cellphone, she uses data, so why does she not have Wi-Fi at home? The S4GRU staff stance is that people at home should use Wi-Fi, not "unlimited" data on the macro cellular network -- the latter is part of what causes slow data speeds for everyone.

Now, if she has "3G" signal issues at home, a new handset is not apt to fix that. Her Samsung Galaxy S4 probably already is on CDMA1X 800, which is Sprint's low band signal for voice calling. You can install SignalCheck Pro on her handset to double check this. But for signal inside buildings, CDMA1X 800 is as good as it gets on Sprint.

For your benefit, I checked our S4GRU maps, and based on your zip code, your only serving site in reasonable proximity is on the southwest end of Mascoutah. Or if you are toward the western edge of your zip code, maybe the site north of Freeburg, too. Both sites are fully Network Vision upgraded. So, service is unlikely to improve beyond what is available now.

That is why having broadband Internet at home is important. It allows you to use Wi-Fi for data -- or even voice calling on some recent handsets. Alternatively, you can request an Airave from Sprint that will create your own little cell site inside the house for "3G" voice calling and data. Again, all of the above requires home broadband Internet.

AJ

I didn't know its a requirement to have a home WiFi connection when signing up at Sprint? No its not a good thing to be watching Netflix all night on your data connection from home but this guys is just saying he would like to know if there is a chance they could have better data services at their home. It's sounds like his mother probably never uses a lot of data anyway so why should she pay for an internet provider? She just simply wants to be able to make calls from her home and freely use data as she chooses, what's wrong with that?

• Like 2

The important issue is cellular signal.  

Up above (previous page) EvanA told me that my S4 (which is the version before the spark enabled tri-band version) is missing sprint's low freq band (800MHz). . . which is the band you mentioned above right?  Therefore I thought the S6 having that band might just enhance the cell signal at her house.  Now I'm *very* new to understanding bands I might have misunderstood all this information, please correct me if I'm wrong.   :)

Your Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets already have 800 MHz for CDMA1X voice, just not for LTE data.  The latter was not added until tri band handsets made their debut two years ago.  Most likely, you and your family already are on CDMA1X 800 when you drop down to "3G."  If CDMA1X 800 signal is poor at your desired location(s), then LTE 800 will be even worse or non receivable.  By nature, LTE is just a weaker airlink.  So, if CDMA1X 800 does not work well, a tri band handset will not help you get LTE 800. 

I will reiterate that you should download SignalCheck Pro to find out what bands/frequencies you are using at your desired location(s).  That info is necessary for S4GRU to assist you any further.

AJ

I didn't know its a requirement to have a home WiFi connection when signing up at Sprint? No its not a good thing to be watching Netflix all night on your data connection from home but this guys is just saying he would like to know if there is a chance they could have better data services at their home. It's sounds like his mother probably never uses a lot of data anyway so why should she pay for an internet provider? She just simply wants to be able to make calls from her home and freely use data as she chooses, what's wrong with that?

The problem is that, in this day and age, "unlimited" data burdens the macro network when people are using it for their lone Internet connections at home.  It all adds up, negatively or positively.  Every user who does not offload to Wi-Fi at home adds to the macro network load a little bit.  But every user who does offload to Wi-Fi at home reduces the macro network load a little bit.  Save the macro network for people who actually are mobile.

And the problem is apt to get worse, as people consume more and more data.  To accommodate that, wireless operators have deployed more efficient but fragile airlinks, such as LTE.  Wireless operators have moved to higher frequency bands that have greater available bandwidth but poorer propagation characteristics.  That is a double whammy for in building signal penetration.

Going forward, wireless users should take some personal responsibility for service in their own homes.  Because people have control over their own homes, that location should be the least of their concerns for wireless signal.  Multiple home solutions are available, including several mentioned in this recent discussion.

AJ

If you used to have a good signal, but it has since gotten worse, make sure to use the Sprint Zone app to report your issues. Or call and report it every time there is a problem. Sprint is very actively watching Sprint Zone reports and if enough reports are accumulated, they will open a ticket and send someone out to investigate the problem.

• Like 1

We upgraded to the S6 (wow what crappy battery life). I have 14 days of course. I downloaded the signal check lite... I probably need the pro huh? I went to my mom's and opened it... I took a screen shot cause I really am over my head. Does this help? I will say I have better (quicker) data here than I did on my S4. This is telling me lte and I had 3G on the S4. However I'd like to know that I have good cell signal... That looking for a signal isn't killing the battery. That hopefully the phone won't sit on the counter and not ring when someone calls..

post-61364-0-70170800-1447618658_thumb.png

We upgraded to the S6 (wow what crappy battery life). I have 14 days of course. I downloaded the signal check lite... I probably need the pro huh? I went to my mom's and opened it... I took a screen shot cause I really am over my head. Does this help? I will say I have better (quicker) data here than I did on my S4. This is telling me lte and I had 3G on the S4. However I'd like to know that I have good cell signal... That looking for a signal isn't killing the battery. That hopefully the phone won't sit on the counter and not ring when someone calls..

Decent signal and good SNR. This is exactly what 800mhz lte is made for. To cover areas where 1900mhz(your S4 only supported that band) could not quite reach.

Thanks! Will the pro tell me any more information that I'd need. I'm going to see what this tells me at my house. Cause I live less than 2 miles from my mom and I think I have better service. I don't want bad signal to be draining her phone. This battery life is sucky enough. I don't like the new icon for signal on this phone... One big triangle instead of bars. It moves from nothing highlighted to maybe 3 vars? Half the triangle is there are still 5 bars.

This is the my house... Totally different signal isn't it?

Band 41(LTE2500) is Sprints bread and butter high speed band. Welcome to the club..

The pro version will allow you to get the latest versions as soon as he updates. Also a bunch of small features.

Can I ask another question... If we switch to the note 5 for better battery... Will that be capable of the 800 frequency that the s6 has and the s4 didn't?

Any device released since late 2013 (After Note 3) will have all Sprint bands. Any device released this year will also include Carrier Aggregation which doubles your theoretical top speeds on Band 41 (LTE 2500)

Thanks guys!  You've been a big help.  I've learned a lot and I realize what I *don't* know.  I'm considering swapping the S6 for the note 5 for improved battery life, but I'm worried that might not live up to the hype.  So . . . Still researching that.  Sometimes I wish I was just the type of person that went out and bought a phone and was happy with it.  Here I am configuring all sorts of crap the avg user probably doesn't do to eek out battery life.  Ah!  

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  You've been a big help.  I've learned a lot and I realize what I *don't* know.  I'm considering swapping the S6 for the note 5 for improved battery life, but I'm worried that might not live up to the hype.  So . . . Still researching that.  Sometimes I wish I was just the type of person that went out and bought a phone and was happy with it.  Here I am configuring all sorts of crap the avg user probably doesn't do to eek out battery life.  Ah!  

If battery life is a big selling point get a case with built in backup battery. I know mophie sells them for iphone and galaxy phones.