Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Well Sprint still has work to do at Busch. Band 41 from Clearwire is unusable.

LTE 800 (upload would not complete)

3G

Forcing 3G is the only way to get decent usable data.

Does anyone know what's going on with the clear site? Last game I went to I was getting mid 30s and up all game!

Does anyone know what's going on with the clear site? Last game I went to I was getting mid 30s and up all game!

Where were you sitting? It's possible you were catching a different sector depending on the site placement.

Hit up Sprint Care on Twitter and let them know. They'll at least let you know what's going on...

Hit up Sprint Care on Twitter and let them know. They'll at least let you know what's going on...

I'll give it a shot.

Side note, T-Mobile was also useless. Kinda disappointing for the official wireless sponsor of MLB.

Yeah, do not beat around the Busch.

AJ

LTE 800 (upload would not complete)

3G

When was this?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Where were you sitting? It's possible you were catching a different sector depending on the site placement.

I was sitting in the 3rd base lodge. I had a strong signal every time i looked and even inside ballpark village.

I was sitting in the 3rd base lodge. I had a strong signal every time i looked and even inside ballpark village.

I was on the first base side. It's possible you were catching a less loaded sector over there. I had strong signal too, it was just overloaded.

I have been having some weird tower behavior around my home today. My phone is switching from LTE to 1x to evdo rev A randomly is this a good indicator that something is being upgraded or an issue i should report. I live near the Quicktrip on the corner of Hwy N and Summers Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else see fringe coverage degrade after NV sites started showing complete on 800mhz? I'd been holding out hope that 800mhz tuning would improve things, but it got worse instead of better. I live about 20 miles off the Hwy 60 corridor, and regularly drive Hwy 5 between Mansfield and Hartville.

First low areas where 1900mhz used to work started dropping out (maybe 2 years ago), then when they first turned 800mhz on the coverage improved...but I couldn't hold a call for more than 30 seconds on 800mhz! They finally fixed that about 6 months ago, but now that we're in full summer foliage, 800mhz isn't even covering the low areas as well as 1900mhz used to. Did my area just get hosed when they optimized coverage up and down the highway?

Did anyone else see fringe coverage degrade after NV sites started showing complete on 800mhz? I'd been holding out hope that 800mhz tuning would improve things, but it got worse instead of better. I live about 20 miles off the Hwy 60 corridor, and regularly drive Hwy 5 between Mansfield and Hartville.

First low areas where 1900mhz used to work started dropping out (maybe 2 years ago), then when they first turned 800mhz on the coverage improved...but I couldn't hold a call for more than 30 seconds on 800mhz! They finally fixed that about 6 months ago, but now that we're in full summer foliage, 800mhz isn't even covering the low areas as well as 1900mhz used to. Did my area just get hosed when they optimized coverage up and down the highway?

I have never been to this part of Missouri but I think you answered your question when you stated that it is full summer foliage.  I hate to say it, you might be in a wrong spot for coverage.

I have never been to this part of Missouri but I think you answered your question when you stated that it is full summer foliage.  I hate to say it, you might be in a wrong spot for coverage.

It's worse this year than ever before, though, and we have 1x800 now...

It's worse this year than ever before, though, and we have 1x800 now...

Unfortunately, the sites along 60 are two sector sites (at least the last time I was looking at them). If you live in Hartville, I would imagine they would not prove much coverage at all. The new antennas are much more directional than the old antennas, meaning they direct the signal almost straight down the highway. 

Unless Sprint begins to add sites along 5 (they might), or you spend most of your time in Springfield, I would probably recommend exploring other options. If you have a WiFi calling device on your account, you might also look into getting a Sprint Connect router to enhance your WiFi calling experience at home, that way you don't have to worry about the 1x signal. 

Additionally, Hartville appears to be officially list as a roaming area. How did you manage to get service?

Unfortunately, the sites along 60 are two sector sites (at least the last time I was looking at them). If you live in Hartville, I would imagine they would not prove much coverage at all. The new antennas are much more directional than the old antennas, meaning they direct the signal almost straight down the highway. 

Do you know when the Hwy 60 towers were sectorized? I've lived at Hartville for 3 years now, I was closer to Hwy 60 before that. All I remember seeing in the past 3 years are sectors.

Unless Sprint begins to add sites along 5 (they might), or you spend most of your time in Springfield, I would probably recommend exploring other options. If you have a WiFi calling device on your account, you might also look into getting a Sprint Connect router to enhance your WiFi calling experience at home, that way you don't have to worry about the 1x signal.

Yeah, I'm closely watching the new sites! Not holding my breath though. I live on a high point, and used to be able to hit 3 different Hwy 60 towers from my porch, all of them about 20-25 miles away. Service at home is mostly acceptable now, even though it's common to have to go outdoors in the summer. My wife's phone is on Republic Wireless, so the built-in Wifi calling gets used a lot. What's odd is the Hwy 5 coverage gets worse every few months, it seems... It's been gradually degrading for 2 years now.

Additionally, Hartville appears to be officially list as a roaming area. How did you manage to get service?

When I signed up, I lived in an address right on the edge of the service area map, then moved farther out after a few years. We cancelled service after moving... $85/line/mo is just too rich for poor coverage. I can't bring myself to go back to big red yet, so I've been trying to limp along on Sprint MVNOs, hoping Sprint coverage will get better here...but it's going the wrong way. There's always some hope of it improving--first 1x800 was on the horizon, then 1x800 optimization, and now new sites....

Do you know when the Hwy 60 towers were sectorized? I've lived at Hartville for 3 years now, I was closer to Hwy 60 before that. All I remember seeing in the past 3 years are sectors.

I could be wrong. It's probably been two years since I've been east past Fordland. 

Yeah, I'm closely watching the new sites! Not holding my breath though. I live on a high point, and used to be able to hit 3 different Hwy 60 towers from my porch, all of them about 20-25 miles away. Service at home is mostly acceptable now, even though it's common to have to go outdoors in the summer. My wife's phone is on Republic Wireless, so the built-in Wifi calling gets used a lot. What's odd is the Hwy 5 coverage gets worse every few months, it seems... It's been gradually degrading for 2 years now.

I would definitely start reporting areas that used to have coverage, but now do not via the Sprint Zone App / Twitter / Chat support / Calling in ... Sprint seems much more receptive to these types of issues since the regime change. Perhaps it might even make it higher on the list for new sites down the line. Other than sector realignment, which could happen within a month of a ticket getting opened, new sites are probably 3-6 months away, at least.  (Edit: If you're on an MVNO, this might not be an options, just re-read your post).

I understand not wanting to jump to Verizon. I wouldn't want to either. 

Have you considered US Cellular? It looks like they have a tower in Hartville, and they have pretty good service along 60 and in Springfield. The prices aren't as good as Sprint, but at least they're not Verizon.

I understand not wanting to jump to Verizon. I wouldn't want to either. 

Have you considered US Cellular? It looks like they have a tower in Hartville, and they have pretty good service along 60 and in Springfield. The prices aren't as good as Sprint, but at least they're not Verizon.

Both Verizon and USC have reasonable prepaid options. USC's LTE coverage is only good in several states, and I do a fair amount of traveling. I've still got a Verizon vendetta after they overcharged me $28.xx on my first bill after Alltel. If Sprint's new build doesn't improve my area, I really think I'll have to drop the grudge and go back :(

Thanks for the input!

I'll just say VZW is doing the ole' 3G 1X cha cha a lot down here. Lots of drops. Gee, I wonder what happens when VoLTE is enabled here. I can imagine lots of dropped calls, but I don't have a VoLTE phone to test this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anybody out in Columbia who can tell me how service is there? I have a international friend who is moving there to attend school and he's looking for a prepaid carrier for his time in the US. He has a CDMA capable Nexus 5 so all carriers are on the table.

Is there anybody out in Columbia who can tell me how service is there? I have a international friend who is moving there to attend school and he's looking for a prepaid carrier for his time in the US. He has a CDMA capable Nexus 5 so all carriers are on the table.

With the Nexus 5, not the VZW network.  It is off the table.

AJ

• Like 1