Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

800MHz LTE (SMR-LTE)

1900MHz LTE (PCS-LTE)

25/2600MHz LTE (TD-LTE)

This is pretty basic stuff, Sprint has been touting their Tri-Band network for a while now. Also call Sprint Spark.

PCS-LTE, well you already know what that is, You've been using it (or not using it) for quite some time. It's still being built out, there are gaps in coverage, though once every site is completed it should roughly mirror current EVDO coverage. Speeds max out at 37.5Mbps.

SMR-LTE will have propagation characteristics closer to the LTE that Verizon uses. It will spread farther, and penetrate buildings more. This will be used as a fall back for PCS-LTE. Speeds max out at 37.5Mbps.

TD-LTE. This is the good stuff. TD-LTE is the re-branding of the old WiMax spectrum, and is currently being deployed in St. Louis. We already have more than 40 sites confirmed live with TD-LTE. It's coverage will actually be a little bit better than WiMax simply because of the characteristics of LTE vs WiMax, but it will be using the same tower sites, so coverage will be roughly similar. Speeds should average on the order of 30-50Mbps, and with appropriate backhaul, should approach 70Mbps. As Sprint adds more TD-LTE carriers, and applies LTE-Advanced to these sites, the aggregated spectrum should allow for speeds of 100-150Mbps (if backhaul allows.)

I wish there was a way to pin this post somewhere. Great explanation. :)

I plan to today.

The site in Wood River, IL that was accepted 2 weeks ago is now off. Can't even get it with LTE Only. Then there is the Pontoon Beach, IL site with no eCSFB still.

I ran into problems on Lindbergh North of 40 on my way to work today. I had nothing from Ladue Rd to Olive; it showed 2 bars of LTE on my iPhone, but I got zero data.

I wish there was a way to pin this post somewhere. Great explanation. :)

I agree. 

Do we have any idea at what point our phones will drop 1900 and connect to 800 in terms of signal strength? I wonder because im sure when you are at -100dBm with 1900, 800 would seem like it would be faster. 

After 800 LTE goes live around where you travel I would say so. Right now I don't know. I don't have a triband phone so you will get better answers from someone who does.

Sent from my SPH-L900

• Like 1

I agree. 

Do we have any idea at what point our phones will drop 1900 and connect to 800 in terms of signal strength? I wonder because im sure when you are at -100dBm with 1900, 800 would seem like it would be faster.

It looks likes, after the Spark update to the One max, and the updated radio on the N5, devices will drop PCS LTE around (-)115 - (-)110dBm. Though we don't know that for sure yet.

At -100dBm, you still get 6-8Mbps on a healthy site (not overburdened) which is what Sprint advertises.

To those who know the issues I've had.... Do you think this phone will address some of the problems I've had with losing signal inside buildings and slow speeds?

The N5 will definitely increase your coverage. Will it have an effect on speeds? Unkown. If you are spending all your time in densely populated areas that don't have all their sites upgraded yet, probably not.

When the Spark update for the N5 is pushed out, you will for certain see faster speeds on TD-LTE.

• Like 1

It looks likes, after the Spark update to the One max, and the updated radio on the N5, devices will drop PCS LTE around (-)115 - (-)110dBm. Though we don't know that for sure yet.

At -100dBm, you still get 6-8Mbps on a healthy site (not overburdened) which is what Sprint advertises.

The N5 will definitely increase your coverage. Will it have an effect on speeds? Unkown. If you are spending all your time in densely populated areas that don't have all their sites upgraded yet, probably not.

When the Spark update for the N5 is pushed out, you will for certain see faster speeds on TD-LTE.

But with TD-LTE it will not penetrate buildings as well as 1900 or SMR-LTE 800. Does anybody have a clue what a SMR-LTE 800 tower site looks like?

But with TD-LTE it will not penetrate buildings as well as 1900 or SMR-LTE 800. Does anybody have a clue what a SMR-LTE 800 tower site looks like?

No, TD-LTE will not have as good in-building coverage as PCS or SMR will. However, if you had good WiMax coverage, you will have even better TD-LTE coverage. It is usable down to a lower signal than WiMax was.

What does a SMR-LTE site look like? Exactly like a PCS-LTE site. All the equipment is installed. All that is required now is the SMR-LTE carrier card to be installed, the site optimized, and the backhaul scaled up to the appropriate level to get SMR-LTE on the air. No additional tower work is needed.

No, TD-LTE will not have as good in-building coverage as PCS or SMR will. However, if you had good WiMax coverage, you will have even better TD-LTE coverage. It is usable down to a lower signal than WiMax was.

What does a SMR-LTE site look like? Exactly like a PCS-LTE site. All the equipment is installed. All that is required now is the SMR-LTE carrier card to be installed, the site optimized, and the backhaul scaled up to the appropriate level to get SMR-LTE on the air. No additional tower work is needed.

The WiMax on my Galaxy S2 is usually better than the LTE on my Galaxy S4. I can't afford ($$$) to keep both phones online, but because of my work I can[t afford not to because losing a signal costs me money from my clients. 

So frustrating....

The WiMax on my Galaxy S2 is usually better than the LTE on my Galaxy S4. I can't afford ($$$) to keep both phones online, but because of my work I can[t afford not to because losing a signal costs me money from my clients. 

So frustrating....

You could sell the GS4 and invest in a Tri-Band hotspot. That'll give you the ability to access the TD-LTE network right now.

Or sell the GS4 and invest in a Tri-Band N5 and use the better LTE radio, and hope the Spark update comes in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

So frustrating....

I don't know if this is still possible, but if you find a clearspot cheap and can get it activated, you can enjoy wimax coverage and speed, while having an lte phone that works in whatever other situations.

off of page, in the same plaza as this place

Vivola Express

1911 Schuetz Rd
Maryland Heights, MO 6314

there is/was a clearwire reseller, you could try calling there and seeing if they can still get/activate a clearspot.

or there is ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clear-spot-4g

I bought mine at best buy for $50.

• Like 1

You could sell the GS4 and invest in a Tri-Band hotspot. That'll give you the ability to access the TD-LTE network right now.

Or sell the GS4 and invest in a Tri-Band N5 and use the better LTE radio, and hope the Spark update comes in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know if this is still possible, but if you find a clearspot cheap and can get it activated, you can enjoy wimax coverage and speed, while having an lte phone that works in whatever other situations.

off of page, in the same plaza as this place

Vivola Express

1911 Schuetz Rd
Maryland Heights, MO 6314

there is/was a clearwire reseller, you could try calling there and seeing if they can still get/activate a clearspot.

or there is ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clear-spot-4g

I bought mine at best buy for $50.

Thanks guys. I am thinking I have two options here.

1. Do nothing and hope that soon this all fixes itself.

2. Sell my S4 and buy an Nexus 5.

I'm not sold on the "Clear Spot" option, though it may be for me down the road if nothing else works.

Thanks guys. I am thinking I have two options here.

1. Do nothing and hope that soon this all fixes itself.

2. Sell my S4 and buy an Nexus 5.

I'm not sold on the "Clear Spot" option, though it may be for me down the road if nothing else works.

I would hesitate to recommend a Clear hotspot, for a couple of reason.

1) WiMax is no longer a priority network. Speeds could crash for any unknown reason, and probably won't get fixed.

2) We'll likely see a WiMax sunset date announced soon. I know it seems like it should be a long way off, but I have a feeling it will come sooner than we think.

If you get it off contract, then it might be worth it until the LTE network is more mature.

there hasn't been clearwire contracts for years

everything is month to month and has been for a while.

so you can by the device and only activate service when you need it

The nexus 5 has me intrigued. The one thing I do love about the S4 is the camera. This thing takes some great photos and I use it more than my $400 digital camera.

If you like that camera you should love the camera on the G2 and N5. I personally haven't seen the quality of a N5 but the G2 is amazing.

• Like 1

The nexus 5 has me intrigued. The one thing I do love about the S4 is the camera. This thing takes some great photos and I use it more than my $400 digital camera.

I'm on mobile, so it's hard to grab a link for you, but to see the camera quality, look up the N5 on Flickr - you'll see public photos shot with the phone camera and can judge quality pretty well.

• Like 1

I'm on mobile, so it's hard to grab a link for you, but to see the camera quality, look up the N5 on Flickr - you'll see public photos shot with the phone camera and can judge quality pretty well.

My wife hated the G2 because of how the pictures looked on the display. Not sure about quality when sent elsewhere but pictures and YouTube looked pixilated or it was a bad unit

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

If you like that camera you should love the camera on the G2 and N5. I personally haven't seen the quality of a N5 but the G2 is amazing.

I am going to read some reviews on the Nexus 5. I can probably eBay the Galaxy S4 for around $250-$300