Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

They should have made LTE initiated by the *base station* by default, with a longer (or manual) device rescan timer.

• Like 1

This is interesting. I thought there was some form of mapping involved - the first time I drove best the Flushing Meadows site, I was on top of the site before it switched. After driving past it several times, I noticed it consistently locks on earlier. Too bad this can't be done through PRL, or a similar mechanism. Of course, once LTE is the norm, this won't matter anymore.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Only thing is, LTE doesn't use PRLs nor does the PRL control individual sites you connect to.

They should have made LTE initiated by the *base station* by default, with a longer (or manual) device rescan timer.

Not possible nor is it really necessary.

Not possible nor is it really necessary.

It would be awesome if a packet of data was sent to the device from the base every time a device connected to that base that told the device exactly what was supported and what networks it could connect to. Then the device (phone, hotshot, etc.) would interpret that packet of data and connect to what it could. That would stop the device from having to scan for LTE. I know that is not a realistic possibility, but it would be awesome if it was. Hey, one can dream, right?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It would be awesome if a packet of data was sent to the device from the base every time a device connected to that base that told the device exactly what was supported and what networks it could connect to. Then the device (phone, hotshot, etc.) would interpret that packet of data and connect to what it could. That would stop the device from having to scan for LTE. I know that is not a realistic possibility, but it would be awesome if it was. Hey, one can dream, right?

Creates a problem when every site isn't LTE upgraded though. But then if every site was upgraded then it would be a non issue then.

In 6 months you won't be worrying about airplane mode stuff in your normal travels.

Creates a problem when every site isn't LTE upgraded though. But then if every site was upgraded then it would be a non issue then.

In 6 months you won't be worrying about airplane mode stuff in your normal travels.

Well the site would just send what networks it supported. So if it was still legacy, it would send data saying it only supported 1x and evdo. When it gets upgraded, it would send data saying whatever it supports. So it might say 1x, evdo, 1x 800, LTE, and LTE 800 if it was completely finished with 800 accepted as well. And if the device did not support LTE 800 (like no current phones do) it would simply ignore that. Haha.

All dreaming aside, you are completely right. In a little bit it won't matter one bit because every site (except a few exceptions) will be completely upgraded. But this would be nice for future upgrades and new data technologies. Sorry to get off topic, but I read a little while back about (I believe it was Samsung) a company successfully testing a 5g network. Now it won't be ready until like 2020 or something a long time from now, but I'm still excited for it. I can try to post the article on here if any of you guys are interested.

edit: here is the link to the article: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/12/samsung-successful-5g-test/

• Like 1

Unfortunately I got called in to work this evening so I checked 170 again. This time I got LTE from I-64 all the way to the Rock Road. As soon as I turned onto the Rock I lost LTE.

Coming back I had no LTE anywhere along I-64 going East to downtown. Not sure why.

Unfortunately I got called in to work this evening so I checked 170 again. This time I got LTE from I-64 all the way to the Rock Road. As soon as I turned onto the Rock I lost LTE.

Coming back I had no LTE anywhere along I-64 going East to downtown. Not sure why.

I usually have it from a mile east of Lindbergh to Big Bend on 64.

370 and 70:

9315306997_0446fbe591_o.jpg

Interesting. Looks like when they had the lift up there, they removed the panels from the middle rack on the tower. See the google street view reference for before:

pF1IaHk.jpg

I don't think those were sprint's panels, so I guess there's nothing to report here. Wishful thinking.

Interesting. Looks like when they had the lift up there, they removed the panels from the middle rack on the tower. See the google street view reference for before:

pF1IaHk.jpg

I don't think those were sprint's panels, so I guess there's nothing to report here. Wishful thinking.

Yea when they so the NV upgrade they're there long days to get it done. And there is usually some kind of rope or cable from the rack to the ground.

Well the site would just send what networks it supported. So if it was still legacy, it would send data saying it only supported 1x and evdo. When it gets upgraded, it would send data saying whatever it supports. So it might say 1x, evdo, 1x 800, LTE, and LTE 800 if it was completely finished with 800 accepted as well. And if the device did not support LTE 800 (like no current phones do) it would simply ignore that. Haha.

One problem.  What do you do with sites that aren't upgraded yet but LTE from another site reaches there?  You wouldn't have any LTE.  I prefer the periodic scan method, it's how 1X and EVDO work so just follow the same method.

You have to remember that some sites are covering areas right now that are not really in their RF design to cover.  It's kind of like accidental coverage.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what carriers are on the white tower just east of Lilac & 270?  I saw a crew digging a trench a couple days ago and today I saw a white van inside the gate.  I assume it's too close the the Riverview site to be Sprint, but thought it might be Clear working on their LTE.

That attached picture got scaled down pretty small, here is a better one

EastofLilac.jpg

post-18286-0-91973300-1374243287_thumb.jpg

pF1IaHk.jpg

Or maybe it was iDEN Equipment?????????????????????????

You have to remember that some sites are covering areas right now that are not really in their RF design to cover.  It's kind of like accidental coverage.

Gotcha on that. I do find it odd that downtown isn't fully covered yet. You would think this would be the first area they lit up.

Gotcha on that. I do find it odd that downtown isn't fully covered yet. You would think this would be the first area they lit up.

That's actually been the slowest places of any market. My city Baton Rouge, market launched, the downtown site is 100% legacy with no signs of work. Downtown New Orleans including the French Quarter. No sites there with LTE either.

Probably the hardest ones to get work done due to special rooftop requirements and such.

There's a reason that the market isn't even marked as coming soon, it's no where near a launchable amount of coverage. Everything you're getting right now is sort of a bonus, as any other carrier wouldn't even allow you access to the network at this point. Not until the launch would you even know the network was being worked on.

Here's another look at the Maplewood rooftop site. This wasn't around when I stopped by earlier this week (on Monday, July 15).

I haven't been able to find the cabinets for this, but, like I said in the other post, it's likely they're mounted off-the-ground.

itfW5J6.jpg

(It's amazing what a difference a good camera + lens makes - cell phone shots are really awful!)

Here's another look at the Maplewood rooftop site. This wasn't around when I stopped by earlier this week (on Monday, July 15).

I haven't been able to find the cabinets for this, but, like I said in the other post, it's likely they're mounted off-the-ground.

(It's amazing what a difference a good camera + lens makes - cell phone shots are really awful!)

Not sure what that is. Doesn't look like anything Sprint... ?

Not sure what that is. Doesn't look like anything Sprint... ?

For what it's worth, the pole site in Richmond Heights (about 2.5-3 miles from this location) is also a pole (mounted on top of a pole). Crown Castle was the contractor who was responsible for that site... maybe they're also responsible for this site? I dunno. I wonder if Robert has seen anything like this.

This location has a permit that lilg740 found, and this wasn't around when I stopped by this past Monday...

Edit: Here's the pole in Richmond Heights:

Sprint NV Tower - Richmond Heights - 1.jpg

For what it's worth, the pole site in Richmond Heights (about 2.5-3 miles from this location) is also a pole (mounted on top of a pole). Crown Castle was the contractor who was responsible for that site... maybe they're also responsible for this site? I dunno. I wonder if Robert has seen anything like this.

This location has a permit that lilg740 found, and this wasn't around when I stopped by this past Monday...

Edit: Here's the pole in Richmond Heights:

attachicon.gifSprint NV Tower - Richmond Heights - 1.jpg

This is a typical "flagpole" style cell site, though granted, not an actual flag pole. I still can't figure out the one on the building. There are not enough wires feeding it to be anything Sprint related.