Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

No.. that message has been going out to people all over the country in the past week. Some people are in areas that have a long way to go before NV could be considered "largely complete". It has been mentioned in a few threads.

That being said, we are spoiled around here when you look at the progress in some other areas, except for Chicago and Atlanta.

-Mike

Oh I see. A coincidence, then. That being said, considering 32,833 out of 39,352 sites have received some upgrades (~83%) perhaps Sprint just sent out a blanket text, considering 5/6 as largely complete.

Oh, well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering flashing the older Nexus 5 radio that apparently is more band 41 capable than the current release. Has anyone with a Spark-Capable device noticed a significant band 41 presence yet?

Has anyone with a Spark-Capable device noticed a significant band 41 presence yet?

I just tried the .15 radio today from PO Square in Boston out to Franklin, MA and was not able to get any band 41...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

In the Premier Sponsor section they show Band 41 schedules for sites in the Boston market.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just decided on a whim to try setting the LTE priority for b26 to be the highest... When I rebooted the priorities were set to 25-0, 26-3, 41-1 (I had put 0, 1, 0)... I was able to connect to b26 according to the test page udapa9uq.jpg

I was also able to get a usable data connection however it seems to fall back to b25 after a while...

This was in Franklin, MA

Geoff

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Anyone getting 800mhz LTE in the Boston area?

Also, for almost built up market with NV. Still getting slow 3G speeds on my HTC One m8. do i need to turn off 4G to get better 3G speeds?

Not a huge deal, but i would like to see at least 1.5 mbps at the few points where i get 3g =\

The faster 3g speeds come with upgraded backhaul, which means you should just get LTE for the most part. If its very low signal 3g and hence can't get LTE, your speeds probably won't be blazing fast anyway.

Sent from my HTC M8

Anyone getting 800mhz LTE in the Boston area?

Also, for almost built up market with NV. Still getting slow 3G speeds on my HTC One m8. do i need to turn off 4G to get better 3G speeds?

Not a huge deal, but i would like to see at least 1.5 mbps at the few points where i get 3g =\

All of the dots onnthe map are LTE 800... The one in Boston I was able to get was in Post Office Square, but I only got it while in the center of a building where band 25 LTE does not penetrate and the phone normally would have switched to 3g(which is what b26/lte800 is meant for).

Sprint has not upgraded enough of the towers that cover the primary area that I am in (financial district) so the 4g is overloaded and I get very bad speeds (less than .5mbs), upload speeds I get are over 1-2mbs on the same tower which would make sense as most devices do far more downloading than uploading.

Geoff

All of the dots onnthe map are LTE 800... The one in Boston I was able to get was in Post Office Square, but I only got it while in the center of a building where band 25 LTE does not penetrate and the phone normally would have switched to 3g(which is what b26/lte800 is meant for).

Sprint has not upgraded enough of the towers that cover the primary area that I am in (financial district) so the 4g is overloaded and I get very bad speeds (less than .5mbs), upload speeds I get are over 1-2mbs on the same tower which would make sense as most devices do far more downloading than uploading.

Geoff

I thought the green dots are only 1900mhz LTE, 800mhz 3g, and 1900 3g?

Signalcheck pro shows I'm on 1900mhz LTE bands in all places in Massachusetts.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I thought the green dots are only 1900mhz LTE, 800mhz 3g, and 1900 3g?

Signalcheck pro shows I'm on 1900mhz LTE bands in all places in Massachusetts.

If you are a subscriber the maps only show the sprint accepted sites which are 1x800, b25 lte, and the 1900 CDMA... I think (I'm not a premier) the premier maps show the b26 and b41 LTE sites too... There can be sites that are up in b26/b41 but sprint has not officially accepted or reported them...

Also on my nexus 5 I have turned on b26 and b41 and set b26 & b41 to the highest priority and b25 to the lowest(it still favors b25 despite this, but I see it it connect to b26 then switch to b25 - if there is no b25 it will stay on b26)... I also am using radio .15 on the n5.

The map I posted above was simply my map of where I have detected b26 (LTE 800) -- not necessarily where a tower is or that it is accepted by sprint, or reported by s4gru... I just happened to use the red color on mine as it was the default...

Geoff

Edited to fix all my mixups of using b25 instead of b26 and vice-a-versa

My coverage in western mass seems to have gotten worse again. I am using a n5 and LTE is sparse. In downtown Springfield area its spotty. Actually spotty best describes it everywhere here in western mass. The network must be under a heavy load as speeds are all over the place. I know back haul issues are a concern but how long does it take? Anyone else experiencing the same or better here in western mass?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a momentary connection to b41 with a plmn of 311870 just outside of south station, could not get it to reconnect after I reached my train...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got a momentary connection to b41 with a plmn of 311870 just outside of south station, could not get it to reconnect after I reached my train...

That's a good sign! I have yet to see any B41 with my N5, but I have connected to 9 different B26 sites while on 93 (Medford-Boston) and 495 (Westford-Andover), mostly this week. 

-Mike

• Like 1

That's a good sign! I have yet to see any B41 with my N5, but I have connected to 9 different B26 sites while on 93 (Medford-Boston) and 495 (Westford-Andover), mostly this week.

-Mike

Somerville is definitely rocking some b26. Still doesn't improve coverage inside Somerville hospital though =/

Still waiting...

Somerville is definitely rocking some b26. Still doesn't improve coverage inside Somerville hospital though =/

Still waiting...

It's been said elsewhere, but is certainly relevant to mention here.. B26 optimizations aren't typically happening immediately, so coverage will improve over time as more sites come online and the optimization crews start catching up. So whatever B26 we're seeing now will eventually get even better!

-Mike

I hope so! So far getting 4g almost everywhere I go in the Boston area.

It's been said elsewhere, but is certainly relevant to mention here.. B26 optimizations aren't typically happening immediately, so coverage will improve over time as more sites come online and the optimization crews start catching up. So whatever B26 we're seeing now will eventually get even better!

-Mike

I live in Boxborough 01719. Band 26 is available here. Not too strong but it's here. :)

I am a newb to all of this. Is Band 26 the latest and greatest?

Edited by jarablue
  • Like 1