Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Thanks. Would it be reasonable to assume that since the site in question has not yet been upgraded at all (GMO or otherwise) that it will probably get the full upgrade? Since it isn't "early."

Sure, that is reasonable. Especially if it doesn't seem to be a site that has any quirky engineering needs.

I don't know the GMO progress for the Boston market, but I know GMO work in the VT/NH/ME market is well underway, if not nearly finished. Boston is a first-round market; VT/NH/ME is 4th round on the schedule. The trend has been to do the GMO work first.

As of earlier this month, 80% of sites in the Boston market have at least one accepted upgrade, and 50% of the LTE sites have been accepted. Accepted does not necessarily mean its broadcasting to the public, but the work is done. LTE sites usually go online fairly quickly, but 3G upgrades are activated in clusters.

More importantly, remember: only about 100 sites nationwide will not be getting LTE! Robert's very educated estimate is that most of these locations are in very rural areas out west. And I think he meant much further west than the Berkshires. ;)

-Mike

Cinnamngrl,

Thanks again for reaching out to me.  I took a look at the notes on the 

Tower.  It looks like the Techs working on it had to shut it down to 

replace multiple parts.  They have not posted an ETA for us yet, but I 

will keep checking for you.

Sincerely,

KC

Sprint Social Care

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

On saturday someone called me but they were unable to fix the problem 

and now it is getting worse.  they said that the ticket was escalated 

but I haven't heard from anyone.

That's lousy, but at least you got an update about what was going on! Much better to know there is a tower outage instead if thinking this is what your expectation of coverage will be.

-Mike

It looks like Sprint is getting ready to officially launch additional areas of the Masachusetts market, including

• Fitchburg, Mass
  • Leominster, Mass
  • Springfield, Mass
  • Worcester, Mass

There's still a lot of work going on. All this means is that these areas have reach the 40% POPs coverage mark that Sprint is apparently using to launch markets.

• Like 2

I am getting insane upload speeds just outside of Boston in Dedham right now! Just did a few tests got a low of 61Mbps and a high of 138Mbps! I don't know what sprint did here, if they are testing something, but this is absolutely crazy! My normal speeds here are about 25 down and 10 up.

I'll upload a screen shot later tonight after work of my results tab.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

EDIT: Decided to just upload the picture while I have a second!

ojU4xMx.png

Edited by taubut
  • Like 1

I am getting insane upload speeds just outside of Boston in Dedham right now! Just did a few tests got a low of 61Mbps and a high of 138Mbps! I don't know what sprint did here, if they are testing something, but this is absolutely crazy! My normal speeds here are about 25 down and 10 up.

I'll upload a screen shot later tonight after work of my results tab. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EDIT: Decided to just upload the picture while I have a second!

Posted Image

Something is funky here. Either speedtest was misreporting the results or the pic is doctored. Sprints network configuration is not physically capable of those results.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Something is funky here. Either speedtest was misreporting the results or the pic is doctored. Sprints network configuration is not physically capable of those results.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Well the image isnt doctored, I also took a screen shot of each and every speed test after doing them. Figured the results page would just be easier to see them all at once. So maybe there is something wrong with the app, but I also tried rebooting my phone, turning off 4G and turning it back on. I probably should test it with sensorly too. So tomorrow while at work if speed test is producing similar results I'll test it and see what happens. Just figured I would post these while I was getting the speeds, wasn't sure if there was some thing they were testing. Guess I was a bit over excited about seeing the numbers, also because it seemed to stay consistent, it wasn't just a single odd result and then back to normal.

Anyway, you can call me a phony if you want, its just what I was getting. I'm using a GS4 on Cyanogenmod for reference, so if somebody has insight to maybe that being the cause let me know.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll be on my iPhone 5 that I normally carry, so I'll see what happens with that.

Edited by taubut

Well the image isnt doctored, I also took a screen shot of each and every speed test after doing them. Figured the results page would just be easier to see them all at once. So maybe there is something wrong with the app, but I also tried rebooting my phone, turning off 4G and turning it back on. I probably should test it with sensorly too. So tomorrow while at work if speed test is producing similar results I'll test it and see what happens. Just figured I would post these while I was getting the speeds, wasn't sure if there was some thing they were testing. Guess I was a bit over excited about seeing the numbers, also because it seemed to stay consistent, it wasn't just a single odd result and then back to normal.

Anyway, you can call me a phony if you want, its just what I was getting. I'm using a GS4 on Cyanogenmod for reference, so if somebody has insight to maybe that being the cause let me know.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll be on my iPhone 5 that I normally carry, so I'll see what happens with that.

I don't think your a phony, the speedtest app was probably getting a great connection and just over-reported the numbers. Try different speedtest servers and see how the tests compare. You probably did have a great LTE connection, but the true speeds were closer to 20-30 mb.

-Mike

So I've got my iPhone 5 today at work instead of the S4. Getting more normal LTE speeds, only did a single test so far but the speed was 21.34 down and 5.38 up. So I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, I had a -87 for signal on the S4 today I have a have signal jumping from -92 to -107. So my S4 had much better connectivity than the iPhone but that still doesnt explain the insane speeds. Like Mike said though the app probably just over-reported the numbers and it should have shown much lower. What I can tell you though is I tried uploading some files and it was pretty quick haha.

I've noticed that Sprint is turning on channel 476.

First time my EVO 4G LTE has had great coverage at home :)

What does this mean? I'm assuming since you have a evo lte that it does not mean 2.5 ghz td lte right?

Turning on channel 476 from recent acquisition of Clearwire?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I've noticed that Sprint is turning on channel 476.

First time my EVO 4G LTE has had great coverage at home :)

Where is home? What are you using to find out the channel?

What does this mean? I'm assuming since you have a evo lte that it does not mean 2.5 ghz td lte right?

Turning on channel 476 from recent acquisition of Clearwire?

No, channel 476 is in the ESMR band.  Now that nextel is shut, they've started to broadcast a lot more w/ 1x advanced on ESMR (old nextel).

This means much better coverage for voice.

##DEBUG# on the dialer if you are using an evo - you can see what channel you are on

Yep, 476 is the 800 SMR channel.  FYI, SignalCheck will show you if you're on 800 also.

The stock Sprint PRLs will not actively look for an 800MHz signal.  You'll stay on 1900MHz unless it loses that signal.  Custom PRLs can force your device to prioritize 800.  There are a lot of 800 sites active in the suburbs northwest of Boston.

-Mike

Yep, 476 is the 800 SMR channel. FYI, SignalCheck will show you if you're on 800 also.

The stock Sprint PRLs will not actively look for an 800MHz signal. You'll stay on 1900MHz unless it loses that signal. Custom PRLs can force your device to prioritize 800. There are a lot of 800 sites active in the suburbs northwest of Boston.

-Mike

The stock Android ones will scan for 800SMR first but will not make additional efforts to jump from PCS to SMR unless needed.