Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Sprint left behind on Boston's MBTA system. AT&T and T-mobile had already agreed to terms with some company called InSite Wireless to provide some level of service in the tunnels. Now VZW has also agreed to terms with them leaving Sprint as the lone holdout...

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/08/verizon-to-extend-mbta-wireless.html

Sprint left behind on Boston's MBTA system. AT&T and T-mobile had already agreed to terms with some company called InSite Wireless to provide some level of service in the tunnels. Now VZW has also agreed to terms with them leaving Sprint as the lone holdout...

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/08/verizon-to-extend-mbta-wireless.html

I want them to pump data signal into the tunnels, but keep the voice signal off!  The last thing we need is everyone hollering into their phones for the entire subway trip...

-Mike

• Like 2

speaking of weird results.  isn't it unusual to have faster upload than download?

Your screenshot showed some kind of messed up test, you cannot truly get that speed with Sprint LTE even if it was correct.  I doubt that you are getting 43mbps uploads on your phone unless you are on some amazing wi-fi...

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Fenway for the game tonight, and the Sprint LTE service was absolutely awesome the entire time.  I go to dozens of MLB/NHL/NFL games a year all over the country.. I'm not one of those folks who spends most of the game on my phone, but I do usually upload or text a picture or two while I'm there, or might hop online during a TV timeout.  Tonight was the first time it was ever this fast.. virtually instantaneous.  No waiting for sites/apps/pages to come up, no delays in uploading.. it was like I was on my home wireless network with nobody else connected.  If not faster.

Keep up the good work, Sprint!  If I can get service like that with 33,000 people in the same building, I'm very optimistic about what more typical everyday use will bring.  :tu:

-Mike

• Like 6

I was at Fenway for the game tonight, and the Sprint LTE service was absolutely awesome the entire time. I go to dozens of MLB/NHL/NFL games a year all over the country.. I'm not one of those folks who spends most of the game on my phone, but I do usually upload or text a picture or two while I'm there, or might hop online during a TV timeout. Tonight was the first time it was ever this fast.. virtually instantaneous. No waiting for sites/apps/pages to come up, no delays in uploading.. it was like I was on my home wireless network with nobody else connected. If not faster.

Keep up the good work, Sprint! If I can get service like that with 33,000 people in the same building, I'm very optimistic about what more typical everyday use will bring. :tu:

-Mike

You'll also have to let a fellow Bruins fan like myself know if lte is good inside the garden this year.

On my honeymoon in Europe so won't have the cash to check out games for a while lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

You'll also have to let a fellow Bruins fan like myself know if lte is good inside the garden this year.

On my honeymoon in Europe so won't have the cash to check out games for a while lol.

Will do.. congrats! I'm getting married later this month myself, but I'm not going to let a minor detail like being completely broke keep me away from the Garden! ;)

-Mike

Must be a sprint marriage month, I'm tying the knot in 2 weeks. Reception being in Springfield had no bearing in how there is LTE there hut not in my area in Northern ct hahahahah

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Will do.. congrats! I'm getting married later this month myself, but I'm not going to let a minor detail like being completely broke keep me away from the Garden! ;)

-Mike

Unless there have been updates done in the area since the stanley cup, sprint service in the garden is touch and go.  Depending on where your seats are no 4g at all.  3g service sometimes works and sometimes seems bogged down from congestion.  

Unless there have been updates done in the area since the stanley cup, sprint service in the garden is touch and go.  Depending on where your seats are no 4g at all.  3g service sometimes works and sometimes seems bogged down from congestion.

I wouldn't be surprised if things have improved since then. I've been to about 10 games at Fenway this year, and the game I was posting about last week was the first time I have had such great service at the ballpark. The NV progress is definitely noticeable.

-Mike

• Like 3

Besides one short section of Springfield, I had 800 from the CT line to VT line on i91 today, or extremely damn close to it. LTE most of that as well.

• Like 1

6 months ago I could not use my phone in the Springfield Sheraton except near windows. Now, with 800 voice live, I can use it everywhere with -80 RSSI and the underground garage at -95.

• Like 2

I am surprised data was bad, because LTE is live, so 3g should be better. 800 is live too, but you can't enjoy that on your phone model (I don't think)

Not true. Backhaul might not be installed for 3g and also 3G upgrades need to go live in clusters. Upgrade to the iPhone 5s or HTC one for better data experience ;)

I am surprised also, My wife's IPhone 4 had great 3g all day and I had LTE all day at the Big E. In fact the 3g in the area has improved to the point of actually streaming Netflix. The LTE still needs to fill in some areas but other wise I am happy with the service.

Not true. Backhaul might not be installed for 3g and also 3G upgrades need to go live in clusters. Upgrade to the iPhone 5s or HTC one for better data experience ;)

Just from people hopping in LTE the legacy 3g would be better since the overall load is much less. I do think 3g data is upgraded though, because it was pretty reliable since LTE went live, with good speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to figure out that Sprint has been focused on other areas of MA.  Downtown Boston hasn't had any upgraded towers for some time.

There are some sites that have network vision hardware for over a year with no upgraded backhaul (and gobs of fiber surrounding the rooftop sites).

It's odd, to say the least.

I'm starting to figure out that Sprint has been focused on other areas of MA. Downtown Boston hasn't had any upgraded towers for some time.

There are some sites that have network vision hardware for over a year with no upgraded backhaul (and gobs of fiber surrounding the rooftop sites).

It's odd, to say the least.

They waiting to flick the switch for some td lte?

I'm looking for any info regarding this big purple area (no LTE) in this Metro West coverage map. Is it lack of towers or terrain? A bit of a bummer since I live and work just a half mile outside of LTE coverage. Really shocked that they couldn't manage to cover the MathWorks campus yet. There are nearly 3k geeky engineer types here and they all have smartphones/tablets!

xEhEsku.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for any info regarding this big purple area (no LTE) in this Metro West coverage map. Is it lack of towers or terrain? A bit of a bummer since I live and work just a half mile outside of LTE coverage. Really shocked that they couldn't manage to cover the MathWorks campus yet. There are nearly 3k geeky engineer types here and they all have smartphones/tablets!

xEhEsku.png

That's a pretty $$$$$ area.. wonder if the NIMBY types are resisting construction efforts?

-Mike

muguhe7y.jpgThe sub contractors showed up today to begin installing the new antenna at the cell site located at my golf course in Harwich Port on Cape Cod. Can't wait till they get fired up!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

y7ezejad.jpg

Edited by toddk