Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

I was at the BC vs Pitt football game today and Sprint was smooth on LTE before, during, and after the game. Before speeds were near 20Mbps down and 7 up. during the game, they dropped to 10 down and .75 up and after, speeds were about 12 down an 3 up.

The "during" portion is great evidence that uploading is starting to be used just as much as downloading. Nearly every other person around me was uploading photos and pictures to SnapChat and Facebook.

Here's a recent article about uploads vs downloads during games.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-sports-teams-are-scrambling-to-keep-millennials-coming-to-games/

• Like 1

I've seen several band 41 sites that are either already ridiculously saturated or suffer from the legacy Clearwire backhaul issue.

One I connected to near Mass Ave at Tremont gave me less than 1.5 Mbps a week or so ago.

I've noticed the same thing.  It is definitely a backhaul issue.  My local B41 site that is a clearwire wimax convert flies at 70mbit unloaded but magically gets bogged down to less than 10mbit during peak periods.  There is no way that my particular area is sucking down that much bandwidth so it is likely that they are daisy chaining with microwave and the backhaul is choking.

They need to fix this asap.

I can't even maintain an LTE connection anywhere downtown. I get data for a few seconds and then I'm left with full bars but no mobile data. Switching to CDMA only seems to fix it. I was getting this on both a spark-capable HTC One M8 and a non-spark HTC One M7, so I don't think it's a triband issue.

I can't even maintain an LTE connection anywhere downtown. I get data for a few seconds and then I'm left with full bars but no mobile data. Switching to CDMA only seems to fix it. I was getting this on both a spark-capable HTC One M8 and a non-spark HTC One M7, so I don't think it's a triband issue.

I'm new here so I don't know what constitutes Downtown but today I was at Prudential Center and data was going through fine for me.

Anyone go to the Big E this year? Service was abysmal. They should of had some 8t8r up there. It was like going backwards two years for sprint.

I am in the area often, and when nothing major is going on at the fair grounds, service is good.

• Like 1

Scratch that, I just hit over 60Mbps on 8T8R during a college football game in Chestnut Hill.

At Boston College, they call that a "Hail Flutie."

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I'm new here so I don't know what constitutes Downtown but today I was at Prudential Center and data was going through fine for me.

Prudential Center is back bay.

Downtown is around Post Office Square (that area is the financial district).

Back Bay is much nicer :)

Have you been to the super 88 food court at Packard's Corner?  Good Band 41 there.  Good food too!  I eat at Pho Viets often - at $3.75 a sandwich, it's hard not to.

• Like 2

Back Bay is much nicer :)

Have you been to the super 88 food court at Packard's Corner?  Good Band 41 there.  Good food too!  I eat at Pho Viets often - at $3.75 a sandwich, it's hard not to.

No, but I'll be sure to try it this weekend!

No, but I'll be sure to try it this weekend!

You are in for a treat!  B41 and Bánh mì

Been to Pinos Pizza yet?  Probably nothing like Pizza you get in NY but for around here it's pretty solid, it's my go to spot at Cleveland Circle.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's what I meant. Specifically, we walked down Congress Street from State Street, through Post Office Square, across Fort Point channel, and to the Flour bakery behind the Children's museum, and LTE was flaky at best on both phones the whole time.

Anyone go to the Big E this year? Service was abysmal. They should of had some 8t8r up there. It was like going backwards two years for sprint.

I am in the area often, and when nothing major is going on at the fair grounds, service is good.

Service has actually degraded around Springfield recently. I used to pick up LTE around the fair grounds as recently as June. Now there is nothing , as well as in numerous spots around Springfield , where there was once LTE now it is almost unusable 3G.

North central CT is suffering from the same issues. It does feel like the Sprint of old.

• Like 1

Service has actually degraded around Springfield recently. I used to pick up LTE around the fair grounds as recently as June. Now there is nothing , as well as in numerous spots around Springfield , where there was once LTE now it is almost unusable 3G.

North central CT is suffering from the same issues. It does feel like the Sprint of old.

I am surprised you say that about North Central CT.  I live and work, spend most of my time between Springfield and Hartford, 10 miles on either side of I91, and service in CT has never been better.  Seems it even gets better everyday.  I know the Windsor Locks sector layout isnt beneficial for 159 or Warehouse Point, but once that tower gets B26, I cant see any issues around, as long as you have a Triband device that is  :ninja:

I am surprised you say that about North Central CT.  I live and work, spend most of my time between Springfield and Hartford, 10 miles on either side of I91, and service in CT has never been better.  Seems it even gets better everyday.  I know the Windsor Locks sector layout isnt beneficial for 159 or Warehouse Point, but once that tower gets B26, I cant see any issues around, as long as you have a Triband device that is  :ninja:

I have an LG G3 and I feel as though my Galaxy S3 picked up better LTE. I travel from Springfield to Middletown daily and I feel as though the data is getting weaker and weaker. Voice is strong with hd voice pretty much everywhere but the data is literally going down the tubes.

I have an LG G3 and I feel as though my Galaxy S3 picked up better LTE. I travel from Springfield to Middletown daily and I feel as though the data is getting weaker and weaker. Voice is strong with hd voice pretty much everywhere but the data is literally going down the tubes.

I have a G3 also and it does like to get stuck on 3g. Have you picked up any Band 41 in Springfield? There should be some towers broadcasting.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Best moment today was going into one of the halls on campus to pick up a package. Since it's in the basement which is surrounded by concrete there is no signal, I didn't even roam on Verizon. However WiFi calling gave me signal where my other friends couldn't. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just some updates for the Boston folks...

Boston Logan Airport's Terminal B is smoking fast with new B41 at over 70mbit.  Very nice to see solid B41 in terminal B.  This is HUGE!

Downtown Boston continues to be cooked.  At my office, B25 is down to .5mbit and B26 is down to about 3mbit.  Can't wait for more B41 for capacity relief, as it seems like the additional 75mbit of capacity is able to keep up with current demand.

• Like 5

Best moment today was going into one of the halls on campus to pick up a package. Since it's in the basement which is surrounded by concrete there is no signal, I didn't even roam on Verizon. However WiFi calling gave me signal where my other friends couldn't. 

I gotta say, Google Hangouts voip-over-wifi is KILLER.  I've never used Sprint's wifi calling but with the hangouts dialer, there is not much reason to.  The voice quality is just fantastic.

Could you compare the two services if you are bored?  I would be very curious to hear your opinion on the voice quality between the two services.

Just some updates for the Boston folks...

…while you are eating LOB-STAH!  LOB-STAH!

:P

AJ

• Like 2