Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

What's everyone's thoughts on the metro Boston area as far as 3G is concerned? Is 3G still subpar? Do 4G LTE phones like my GS4 need to change their wireless mode to get the benefits of Network vision?

Or, is Sprint throttling 4G LTE phones to keep iPhone 4S customers happy?

What's everyone's thoughts on the metro Boston area as far as 3G is concerned? Is 3G still subpar? Do 4G LTE phones like my GS4 need to change their wireless mode to get the benefits of Network vision?

Or, is Sprint throttling 4G LTE phones to keep iPhone 4S customers happy?

Change your wireless mode? Throttling LTE? I feel like I missed something.. Sprint has been excellent all over Eastern MA for me for about a year now. No clue what you are hinting at regarding throttling.

-Mike

Change your wireless mode? Throttling LTE? I feel like I missed something.. Sprint has been excellent all over Eastern MA for me for about a year now. No clue what you are hinting at regarding throttling.

-Mike

Mostly, I get usable 4g for my needs everywhere I go in eastern MA. However, the times I get 3G I see no improvement. Average around 200k download.

This question was for the folks that are still hanging on to their 3g phones, if there are still any left out there.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I get decent 3G and LTE is the Springfield area. Well I thought I was getting decent LTE until I spent the last week in NOVA. The LTE speeds I was getting in Manassas and Alexandria as well as D.C. were putting anything I have gotten here in Mass to shame. I spend a lot of time in Newton and Watertown and have yet to see consistent DL speeds of 20+ mbs like I was getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced pretty darn good lte most anywhere in the Boston market. Especially in my area about 30 mins outside of Boston. North Attleboro. My neighborhood was actually the very first lte turned on in the Boston market and over the past 16 months or so it has been getting better and better.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Anyone else not able to connect to LTE in downtown Boston over the last few days (02090, near Financial District)?  I've had steady LTE (from the Faneuil tower) for months here and now it is gone.  I hope this means they are finally going to light up the Broad Street tower.  Although with the recent bad weather, I fear LTE may be down in this area for at least a few more days.

Anyone using a tri band phone in this market? I have the s4 right now and looking to buy a N5. The S4's LTE works great in most places around here.

I have the Nexus 5, and have been all over Eastern MA & Southern NH with it.. haven't connected to anything other than Band 25 (1900) LTE so far. No issues with the CSFB problem either. Awesome LTE reception with this phone.

-Mike

• Like 1

What's everyone's thoughts on in building LTE coverage? Outside dentist's office I get 16 mbps in Braintree, inside = 3mbps. We either need more towers or more 800mhz lte

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Non existent for me so far. I did enable additional bands on my G2 and connected to LTE inside for all of ten seconds. Not sure what band it was.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Non existent for me so far. I did enable additional bands on my G2 and connected to LTE inside for all of ten seconds. Not sure what band it was.

It was still 1900. There are no 800 lte sites in Massachusetts yet.

It was still 1900. There are no 800 lte sites in Massachusetts yet.

There are certainly no announced 800 Mhz site yet. However, I got zero LTE in that conference room until I went into the ##data# menu and enabled bands 26 and 41. When my phone finished rebooting it definitely connected to LTE, but quickly dropped back to 3G. I had Network Signal Info app open, but it doesn't specify the band of LTE. Is there another way to check?

There are certainly no announced 800 Mhz site yet. However, I got zero LTE in that conference room until I went into the ##data# menu and enabled bands 26 and 41. When my phone finished rebooting it definitely connected to LTE, but quickly dropped back to 3G. I had Network Signal Info app open, but it doesn't specify the band of LTE. Is there another way to check?

##Debug#

Lte engineering

This will show what band you are connected to. Maybe they were doing some testing.

You most likely caught a very faint LTE Band 25 signal, and your G2 decided it was better off on the stronger eHRPD signal. Check your Engineering Screen like Mercurial1 suggested; check your band as well as the PLMN (or MCC-MNC) and let us know.

-Mike

Recent site acceptances have had huge waves of dozens of 1x800 finally going live in MA, after for so long having none

Yep. But 1X 800 has been live in many areas for several months.. they just hadn't been officially accepted for some reason. I rarely catch a PCS signal anywhere in Eastern MA these days.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Nexus 5, and have been all over Eastern MA & Southern NH with it.. haven't connected to anything other than Band 25 (1900) LTE so far. No issues with the CSFB problem either. Awesome LTE reception with this phone.

-Mike

Have you turned on the other 2 channels? I haven't seen anything on my Nexus 5 yet but will let you know if i see anything.

Have you turned on the other 2 channels? I haven't seen anything on my Nexus 5 yet but will let you know if i see anything.

Yep.. and the closest site to my house has WiMax, should be one of the earlier Band 41 completions around here. Nothing yet, but B25 is so strong around here that it might prevent me from connecting to B41, at least until the N5 gets it's Spark update.

-Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. But 1X 800 has been live in many areas for several months.. they just hadn't been officially accepted for some reason. I rarely catch a PCS signal anywhere in Eastern MA these days.

-Mike

This is awesome: (latest acceptance report)

• Boston – 465 updates (5 LTE, 458 CDMA 800)

My jaw dropped so hard.

• Like 2

This is awesome: (latest acceptance report)

• Boston – 465 updates (5 LTE, 458 CDMA 800)

My jaw dropped so hard.

Now we all just need new phones to take advantage of the 800 Mhz LTE.  I used to get a steady LTE signal in my office for almost a year.  Now that the tower nearest to my office has been upgraded to CDMA 800, it never connects to the slightly farther LTE tower and my data speeds are awful.

I used to get a steady LTE signal in my office for almost a year. Now that the tower nearest to my office has been upgraded to CDMA 800, it never connects to the slightly farther LTE tower and my data speeds are awful.

A CDMA 800 upgrade on a site isn't the primary reason that you no longer connect to LTE there. Is that closer site LTE-accepted on the maps here? Are you certain you were connecting to the site you think you were? Your phone has most of the control over which site you are connecting to; it doesn't care which site is closer or farther away, it tries to stay with the strongest available signal.

-Mike

I started getting LTE in Aug/Sep 2012, and at that time the only accepted 4G tower (that showed on the s4gru maps) was a small building-mounted tower on the side of the hotel near Fanueil Hall (-----).  I don't know for sure if that is where my LTE signal was coming from, but I had always assumed so since it was the only one on the maps in my area for several months.  The tower nearest my office (----------Milk St/Broad St) remained as a 3G only site (again, according to the s4gru maps) until the last map update last week, when it started to appear as a 3G/800 site.  

Since the middle to end of December, I am no longer able to get a LTE signal in my office (S4, but not the tri-band version). If i walk out of my office, I can get it to connect to LTE (see screen shots below).  I don't know for sure why, but I had been assuming/wishing that it was because ------------was close to flipping the switch on LTE.  Unfortunately, that did not happen. I have been searching for folks in my office with a phone capable of connecting to the 800 Mhz LTE, but no luck yet.  I even switched my phone to LTE only, but while in my office it bounces in and out of LTE and can't keep the connection.

LTE is definitely still live in the area, but I have to walk closer to Fanueil Hall (assuming from --------) or Post Office Square (assuming from --------) to get decent LTE data speeds.

Sitting in my office

post-1718-0-84852800-1390418779_thumb.png

Outside my office door

post-1718-0-41948500-1390418781_thumb.png

Edited by lilotimz

I started getting LTE in Aug/Sep 2012, and at that time the only accepted 4G tower (that showed on the s4gru maps) was a small building-mounted tower.  I don't know for sure if that is where my LTE signal was coming from, but I had always assumed so since it was the only one on the maps in my area for several months.  The tower nearest my office remained as a 3G only site (again, according to the s4gru maps) until the last map update last week, when it started to appear as a 3G/800 site.  

Since the middle to end of December, I am no longer able to get a LTE signal in my office (S4, but not the tri-band version). If i walk out of my office, I can get it to connect to LTE (see screen shots below).  I don't know for sure why, but I had been assuming/wishing that it was because ... was close to flipping the switch on LTE.  Unfortunately, that did not happen. I have been searching for folks in my office with a phone capable of connecting to the 800 Mhz LTE, but no luck yet.  I even switched my phone to LTE only, but while in my office it bounces in and out of LTE and can't keep the connection.

LTE is definitely still live in the area, but I have to walk closer to Fanueil Hall ... or Post Office Square ... to get decent LTE data speeds.

(You need to edit your post and remove the specific site references and statuses -- this is not a sponsor area.)

It could be related to work on band 41 (or 26) sites in the area, but that's really just a guess on my part. If you had a tri-band device, I would speculate that was the issue; others have indicated that tri-band phones without the Spark update have trouble connecting to any LTE when the new bands are live in the area. But, with the original S4, that specific issue shouldn't affect you.

They could be very close to 'flipping the switch' on LTE for those other sites; considering how much progress has been made around the area, the remaining sites are probably more complicated to access or just haven't received their backhaul yet. It has been noted that the weather isn't slowing down crews elsewhere, and I would expect those working around here to throw on an extra pair of socks and keep working also. Contractors who don't work don't get paid.

800 LTE acceptances are still few and far between around here, so it's probably a bit early to suspect that. They might have adjusted the strength/downtilt at the site you were connecting to last year, resulting in it having worse performance at your specific location. You could always inquire directly with Sprint; you will typically get generic answers from them, but you never know. If Customer Care doesn't seem to dig into the issue as much as you would like, you can always try the dan@sprint e-mail team.

-Mike

• Like 1

Just got the following text today:

SprintFreeMsg: Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever! http://sprint.us/network1 Reply S to stop

Must have signed up for updates or something. It's awesome how this exactly matches the scheduled completion date on this thread. S4GRU is one step ahead of ya, Sprint!

Just got the following text today:

SprintFreeMsg: Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever! http://sprint.us/network1 Reply S to stop

Must have signed up for updates or something. It's awesome how this exactly matches the scheduled completion date on this thread. S4GRU is one step ahead of ya, Sprint!

No.. that message has been going out to people all over the country in the past week. Some people are in areas that have a long way to go before NV could be considered "largely complete". It has been mentioned in a few threads.

That being said, we are spoiled around here when you look at the progress in some other areas, except for Chicago and Atlanta.

-Mike