Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

Been watching this site for 6 months don't know all the tech talk. Have iPhone 5. LTE is in centerville,Layton, kaysville, clearfield some Syracuse. Could not find it today in south weber bountiful or woodscross. East bench on highway 89 side only getting 1 to 2 dots closer to i 15 got 4 dots main street from south of farmington to 1000 N where Viewmont high is got 2 dots although had noticed since christmas that viwmont high towers had a stronger 3 g signal Last week crane was at the bountiful high towers 3 guys said they were working for t mobile. Also on I 15 from antelope to riverdale rd was getting a signal of 2-3 dots LTE. Riverdale road from I 15 to 36 th street was also getting 2 dots. I don't know if that helps anyone or the site but I drive for my job and thought i would tell what I saw today.

My Nexus 5 has been having weird issues lately. It will switch from the LTE setting to Global and drop from 4G to 3G, always in areas where LTE does exist. I always have to switch it back to LTE and update the PRL and profile. Anyone else having this issue?

CSFB.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's great to see LTE here in East Layton.  It appears progress is being made.  :)   However, the intital test results are disappointing.  I was actually getting slightly better download speeds with the 3G.  Uploads speeds are better with the LTE.   The latest download test with LTE was 0.61 mbps.  Upload was around 2.5 mbps.  I tested it several times and it's always pretty close to that.   I am hoping things improve dramatically over the next couple of months.  Is that a realistic expectation or am I stuck with the under 1 mbps speed?  I would really like to be at 4 mbps download at minimum.

I see a lot of online videos of Sprint LTE tests and comparing them to other providers.  One I just viewed showed the Spint LTE download speed at around 28 mbps and 13 mbps upload (Seattle area).   I'm rather mystified that I'm only getting 0.61 download.  All I can figure is that they must be still upgrading and tweaking things here in the Utah area.

My Sprint 2 year commitment is up in six months.  My last 18 months have not been good at all (just to be honest).  I hope Sprint can come through because I would rather not bounce around with cell phone providers.   What are your observations about the quality of the upgrades?  Will they keep improving?

Thanks,

Rick

It's great to see LTE here in East Layton. It appears progress is being made. :) However, the intital test results are disappointing. I was actually getting slightly better download speeds with the 3G. Uploads speeds are better with the LTE. The latest download test with LTE was 0.61 mbps. Upload was around 2.5 mbps. I tested it several times and it's always pretty close to that. I am hoping things improve dramatically over the next couple of months. Is that a realistic expectation or am I stuck with the under 1 mbps speed? I would really like to be at 4 mbps download at minimum.

I see a lot of online videos of Sprint LTE tests and comparing them to other providers. One I just viewed showed the Spint LTE download speed at around 28 mbps and 13 mbps upload (Seattle area). I'm rather mystified that I'm only getting 0.61 download. All I can figure is that they must be still upgrading and tweaking things here in the Utah area.

My Sprint 2 year commitment is up in six months. My last 18 months have not been good at all (just to be honest). I hope Sprint can come through because I would rather not bounce around with cell phone providers. What are your observations about the quality of the upgrades? Will they keep improving?

Thanks,

Rick

Too much traffic on the site and sector you're on. Performance will improve when more sites and LTE bands are deployed. Very early results.

^^this. Although Layton is the farthest along out of Weber and Davis counties, there is still a long way to go. Unfortunately until a higher percentage of the sites are upgraded, everyone within range of that site is saying "ooo look LTE!" and running speed tests and other bandwidth intensive nonsense and bogging it down without any other sites to take over some of the load. Once the shine wears off of the LTE (we have gotten a huge wave of it in the last couple months) and more sites come online to balance the load things will improve a LOT. Try running a test during off hours in the night and see what you get. If you notice the upload is still pretty good during the day where the download is terrible because of everyone streaming videos and such. 

Compared to other markets, Sprint has come a long way in Utah. Yes we had to wait for it but the overall situation is much better considering our LTE coverage is improving every week and 1x800 voice coverage nearing completion.  Some of the markets have better LTE coverage but no more than a handful of 1x800 sites state wide so they are still having trouble with calls. 

So just to add to what Robert said, Layton only has a few towers that have LTE so they are over loaded with anyone and everyone that has an LTE device in that area instead of other towers helping out.  I will relate this to Disneyland or you can think Lagoon since we are in Utah.  If Disneyland (or Lagoon)  only had 3-4 rides up and operational and the others were broke down and still had the same amount of people come there you'd be waiting in line for forever and it wouldn't be that great of an experience.  Once they fix all of the rides things flow a lot smoother and they can handle a lot of people a lot easier.  So basically we only have a few towers or (rides) up and running but once the rest of the towers come online we will be in business.  Also another factor that will help is with triband phones, we will see improved speeds as well.  Thats like adding a new park like California Adventure or a Six Flags to Disneyland to help things move more smoothly.  We will have extra bands to take the load off of 1900 LTE to make a better experience for everyone.

Dang you beat me on explaining it further supervisor...well played...well played

True, but I like the Disneyland analogy. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

It's great to see LTE here in East Layton.  It appears progress is being made.  :)   However, the intital test results are disappointing.  I was actually getting slightly better download speeds with the 3G.  Uploads speeds are better with the LTE.   The latest download test with LTE was 0.61 mbps.  Upload was around 2.5 mbps.  I tested it several times and it's always pretty close to that.   I am hoping things improve dramatically over the next couple of months.  Is that a realistic expectation or am I stuck with the under 1 mbps speed?  I would really like to be at 4 mbps download at minimum.

I see a lot of online videos of Sprint LTE tests and comparing them to other providers.  One I just viewed showed the Spint LTE download speed at around 28 mbps and 13 mbps upload (Seattle area).   I'm rather mystified that I'm only getting 0.61 download.  All I can figure is that they must be still upgrading and tweaking things here in the Utah area.

My Sprint 2 year commitment is up in six months.  My last 18 months have not been good at all (just to be honest).  I hope Sprint can come through because I would rather not bounce around with cell phone providers.   What are your observations about the quality of the upgrades?  Will they keep improving?

Thanks,

Rick

Would you mind posting the nearest cross street to your location?  East layton is not necessarily a beacon of high density housing or having a lot of the other "user burden" dynamics that would drive LTE speeds to the sub 1mbit, even if there was only one tower live.  T-mobile in Davis county has the same 5x5 LTE spectrum allotment and seeing speeds under the teens is rare.  Even verizon and ATT with their poor LTE cell tower density maintain at least 5mbit and usually ~20 for ATT and ~10 for VZW in Davis county.

Edited by dmplus

Would you mind posting the nearest cross street to your location? East layton is not necessarily a beacon of high density housing or having a lot of the other "user burden" dynamics that would drive LTE speeds to the sub 1mbit, even if there was only one tower live. T-mobile in Davis county has the same 5x5 LTE spectrum allotment and seeing speeds under the teens is rare. Even verizon and ATT with their poor LTE cell tower density maintain at least 5mbit and usually ~20 for ATT and ~10 for VZW in Davis county.

Tmo has WCDMA fallback. That's the difference right there. Sprint B25 will get some relief from getting all their sites online. Also, Sprint needs their other two bands for a competitive/superior experience.

Would you mind posting the nearest cross street to your location?  East layton is not necessarily a beacon of high density housing or having a lot of the other "user burden" dynamics that would drive LTE speeds to the sub 1mbit, even if there was only one tower live.  T-mobile in Davis county has the same 5x5 LTE spectrum allotment and seeing speeds under the teens is rare.  Even verizon and ATT with their poor LTE cell tower density maintain at least 5mbit and usually ~20 for ATT and ~10 for VZW in Davis county.

As a layton resident (who has driven all over and back) in fact go to sensorly.com and check for layton, and sprint.....the light purple along 89 is me  :D  :D ....ok most of layton is me....though i am sure more people have now driven it....

anyway...the problem is....the towers that are active....are all way west by the freeway....so while it doesnt have buildings etc. to block it.....its gotta carry aways....  i was up by the animal shelter mapping sites (thought that one was up)  anyway, i was pulling sectors from the clearfield 193 exit, and my tower at the parkway....so its bouncing between a few is why the slower speeds....

hey ric....you ever want to chat about the layton stuff....send me a text...801-898-6210

hey ric....you ever want to chat about the layton stuff....send me a text...801-898-XXXX

These forums get indexed by Google. I wouldn't post your number in a public thread. You should probably either message it, or at a minimum post it in Sponsor sections that don't get indexed.

• Like 2

These forums get indexed by Google. I wouldn't post your number in a public thread. You should probably either message it, or at a minimum post it in Sponsor sections that don't get indexed.Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think its his business number so where I usually agree you generally dont want to post something like that publically, in this case its probably not a bad thing.

A band 41 connection with upgraded back haul. Nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What's really exciting to consider, is it may not even be upgraded backhaul. Some legacy WiMax backhaul that is under burdened can even produce those kind of speeds. If that's the case, it may even get faster. :fingers:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of thought the tower nearest me would have been done by now with the SoftBank buyout and their proposed T-Mobile merger. According to Sprint it could take up to 6 months. 

s4ph1hb.png

Your site is already upgraded.

LTE equipment is in place. 1x800 voice coverage is in place. Most of the surrounding sites have LTE already in place. What's so important about having LTE right at your front door? I'd be more worried about the rest of the places you go, which likely have LTE coverage already.

Also, since the site is already upgraded, that means that Sprint is waiting on the contracted ISP to deliver the backhaul to the site. Unfortunately, Sprint doesn't have a lot of control over when that arrives. All they can do is threaten to end the contract or enforce penalties. Since backhaul has been delivered over much of the rest of the city, they're likely just going to wait it out, until the backhaul is delivered. 

Edit:

Please note that your post is toeing the line, consult the rules before you consider ratcheting up your rhetorict. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

Your site is already upgraded.

LTE equipment is in place. 1x800 voice coverage is in place. Most of the surrounding sites have LTE already in place. What's so important about having LTE right at your front door? I'd be more worried about the rest of the places you go, which likely have LTE coverage already.

Also, since the site is already upgraded, that means that Sprint is waiting on the contracted ISP to deliver the backhaul to the site. Unfortunately, Sprint doesn't have a lot of control over when that arrives. All they can do is threaten to end the contract or enforce penalties. Since backhaul has been delivered over much of the rest of the city, they're likely just going to wait it out, until the backhaul is delivered. 

This is exactly what I was going to say. Although another possible bottleneck is the acceptance team.