New LG Flagship device

htown713

I was just looking at phandroid.com and they just posted an article on a new LG phone.

http://phandroid.com...isplay-and-lte/

The specs make it a total beast of a phone!

Robert do you have any info on this?

All I know is what is in the roadmap I posted in an article a few days ago.

Robert

Now I see it is saying Q4 release. Sprint Lab schedules don't go out that far. Devices that far out may not even actually release. Until it shows up for lab testing, there is just no way to know how far it will get through Product Development. And we cant put much thought in the case because it would be an early prototype.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Im thinking that the LG phone hinted in this thread is a variant of the LG Optimus LTE2 phone recently announced to compete with the SGS3. It is suppose to be released in Korea in mid May. The LG LS970 does fit some of the proposed specs with the LG Optimus LTE2 phone with the 2GB RAM, 2150 maH battery and 4.7in (I know it says 4.67in on phandroid but it could be 4.7in) screen. The press release didn't have details about the processor or camera but im crossing my fingers and hoping this is true.

http://www.engadget....gb-ram-true-hd/

http://www.eweek.com...-of-RAM-100511/

Robert, you can delete my forum post but I thought I was going to be the first one to post about this new phone too! :( lol! This is going to be a sweet phone if the specs are true!

• Like 1

I'm hoping the SGSIII also has the Quad core Krait SOC. It would make sense given the rumors of a quad core US version with LTE. This could mean the US version is more powerful than the international version by a LOT.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I really hope that Sprint can launch a high end LG smartphone to compete with Samsung, HTC and Motorola. If this LG flagship phone resembles anything like the LG Optimus LTE2 phone coming out, it should be able to compete with the SGS3 and the Photon 4G LTE. The phone is scheduled for a Q4 release so it has a long way to go but I am glad that Sprint is aggressively trying to add a competitive smartphone lineup to compete with Verizon and AT&T.

• Like 1

"LG flagship"? Is that an oxymoron?

;)

AJ

• Like 4

here is the original article...

http://briefmobile.com/lg-ls970-eclipse-coming-with-1-5-ghz-quad-core-krait-cpu

I can't believe they actually are doing this....pairing the APQ8064 with the MDM9615.....is it really worth all that in the end?.....my answer is no b/c adding the MDM9615 likely takes up space of something else or at the very least makes things different than the normal layout of just having the one SoC with integrated modems...

They have to do it like that with the APQ8064 if in a phone b/c that SoC even though an S4 chip, it has no modem's like the others do...

personally id rather wait and get the SoC next years evo over getting this thing if it were up to me...that and its an LG...lol

Not a new approach for LG at all -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Nitro_HD

That one used the APQ8060 and a separate Qualcomm modem chip. So, they don't have to add a chip so much as change out the ones they already use.

I could see the point of the approach in the HTC Rezound, because at that time, the MSM8660 didn't have an LTE modem. For whatever reason, LG saw fit to use the application processor version of the S3 in their phone.

Unless it's about time to market, and I suspect that it is because the S4 Pro doesn’t go to samples until later this year and nothing on the roadmap now for a quad version of that, using two chips to get to quad + LTE is senseless.

We can only hope that this approach won't be the next Nexus. That said, I still maintain that the LTEvo not having 2 GB of ram is a serious mistake. Oh well though.

Anyway, perhaps this new one won't be the laggy power pig that the Nitro HD was.

Edited by EarlyMon
  • Like 1

Not a new approach for LG at all -

http://en.wikipedia....iki/LG_Nitro_HD

That one used the APQ8060 and a separate Qualcomm modem chip. So, they don't have to add a chip so much as change out the ones they already use.

I could see the point of the approach in the HTC Rezound, because at that time, the MSM8660 didn't have an LTE modem. For whatever reason, LG saw fit to use the application processor version of the S3 in their phone.

Unless it's about time to market, and I suspect that it is because the quad S4 Pro doesn’t go to samples until later this year, using two chips to get to quad + LTE is senseless.

We can only hope that this approach won't be the next Nexus. That said, I still maintain that the LTEvo not having 2 GB of ram is a serious mistake. Oh well though.

Anyway, perhaps this new one won't be the laggy power pig that the Nitro HD was.

Yeah the Rezound was completely different b/c without the MDM it couldn't have LTE...Just seems like a hasty decision to rush a quad to market imho if doing it this way...oh well....

• Like 1

Yeah the Rezound was completely different b/c without the MDM it couldn't have LTE...Just seems like a hasty decision to rush a quad to market imho if doing it this way...oh well....

Quads have mindshare now. People see the S4 vs the Tegra 3 and insist that the Tegra 3 has to be better because everyone just knows that 4>2.

Add in the Exynos 4412 in SGS3 causing bedwetting of tidal proportions because - Samsung! and Exynos quad! along with OMGZ!! PWNIES!!!1! and I don't think that LG had much choice from a marketing perspective.

My hat's off to them for the 2 GB of ram but that immediately got them a boatload of ridicule in the blogosphere.

Genius move though.

Edited by EarlyMon
  • Like 1

Quads have mindshare now. People see the S4 vs the Tegra 3 and insist that the Tegra 3 has to be better because everyone just knows that 4>2.

Add in the Exynos 4412 in SGS3 causing bedwetting of tidal proportions because - Samsung! and Exynos quad! along with OMGZ!! PWNIES!!!1! and I don't think that LG had much choice from a marketing perspective.

My hat's off to them for the 2 GB of ram but that immediately got them a boatload of ridicule in the blogosphere.

Genius move though.

Very true.....likely the best move for them to hope to capture those customers that can just count and not as informed...bc likely if they have close spec to others they will not sell many at all given their track record...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Edit:

btw i think thats the first time ive ever seen "PWNIES" used! hilarious stuff there EM!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up, Ben. LG Eclipse article is live on The Wall.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-317-lg-eclipse-4g-casts-an-early-shadow/

AJ

• Like 1

...as well as support for NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a/b/g/n, GPS and SVLTE (simultaneous voice and data) ...

Gotta love solid reporting by engadget there........lol

Some poor wording there with using the common general description of SVDO for SVLTE....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...