Just got my new galaxy nexus, who's with me? Also, any lte in your area?

themuffinman

I just got my galaxy nexus, I couldn't help myself at all. I needed to open up a third line and was trying to decide whether or not to get this or wait or the galaxy s3. So far this phone is really amazing unfortunately I can't get an lte signal in my area. I have a few places to go today so I will monitor the phone to see if I get a signal.

• Like 1

Is the LTE disabled (on the phone or network)?

I havent heard a single case of anyone connecting to LTE. I thought I would given that it is supposed to be live in a couple cities and the GNex went for sale today Edit: Just found one

This is posted by Bedo on Android Central from Kansas City

23997-data-speeds-sprint-galaxy-nexus-screenshot_2012-04-21-16-31-43.jpg

24005d1335066189-data-speeds-sprint-galaxy-nexus-screenshot_2012-04-21-22-39-11.jpg

Is the LTE disabled (on the phone or network)?

I havent heard a single case of anyone connecting to LTE. I thought I would given that it is supposed to be live in a couple cities and the GNex went for sale today Edit: Just found one

This is posted by Bedo on Android Central from Kansas City

23997-data-speeds-sprint-galaxy-nexus-screenshot_2012-04-21-16-31-43.jpg

24005d1335066189-data-speeds-sprint-galaxy-nexus-screenshot_2012-04-21-22-39-11.jpg

Im waiting for a reply from him to see how fast the 3G is also.

Im waiting for a reply from him to see how fast the 3G is also.

In that same thread he said that the 1717 down and 634 was his 3g speeds.

I went to sprint, the nexus didn't arrive today. Play some minutes with the viper, a nice budget phone, it doesnt have any toogle for LTE or 4g, only find under mobile networks an option to choose between 3g/evdo-lte and 3g/evdo...

If it weren't for the new EVO and the upcoming GS3, the Galaxy Nexus would definitely been my phone. Enjoy your device.

Well like I said I needed to open another line ASAP but so far the nexus has impressed me a little more than I thought it would have. I really can't wait for the evolte though, thats gonna be my baby.

I went to sprint, the nexus didn't arrive today. Play some minutes with the viper, a nice budget phone, it doesnt have any toogle for LTE or 4g, only find under mobile networks an option to choose between 3g/evdo-lte and 3g/evdo...

Same with the nexus, cdma or lte/cdma

It seems there's always something new around the corner but for me it seems the Galaxy S and Nexus series have the most staying power due to the dev support and beefy GPU's they usually include. I;m going to wait for the next Nexus or the Sprint Samsung Intergalactic SIII Epic 4G-LTE+ Ceramic Touch+Keyboard 4G-LTE+ with SuperAmoled-HD++.

• Like 2

That's the way all LTE phones (at least all VZW LTE phones are). Go to settings, wireless & networks... On my MAXX, your choice is CDMA/LTE or CDMA only. Most people keep it on CDMA only unless they have a big battery like the MAXX-- I leave mine on LTE all day.

• Like 1

Unless I have things mixed up I don't think you will be able to use straight LTE until they come out with VoLTE, for now we still need CDMA for voice. That's why the choice is CDMA/LTE or CDMA

The GNex is my fall back phone when I re-sign. I'm waiting until the 3rd to see what the GSlll looks like. I'm impressed with the speculated internals, now just waiting to see pics. If it's as good looking as the GNex, then that will be my next phone. I was considering the new EVO, but since its been redesigned and doesn't even come close to looking like the One X, I've scratched that off my list.

One thing I have noticed is that my gnex performs really well when it comes to 3g speed tests compared to my two other evo 3d's in the same area. I would say I have done at least 30 speed tests in the last 24 hours days and in every single instance the gnex won by a significant margin.

• Like 2

It seems there's always something new around the corner but for me it seems the Galaxy S and Nexus series have the most staying power due to the dev support and beefy GPU's they usually include. I;m going to wait for the next Nexus or the Sprint Samsung Intergalactic SIII Epic 4G-LTE+ Ceramic Touch+Keyboard 4G-LTE+ with SuperAmoled-HD++.

LMAO!! Too funny. I want one of them as well.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

That could be one super pricey phone!

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have as strong of a cell signal when compared with an older Nexus S, it is quite a bit poorer. I don't have signals where I used to, can't stream Pandora when driving in my car anymore. :td:

It isn't just the Sprint signal that it can't get, its the Verizon roaming one too.

I'm only keeping it in the hopes that when the 800 Mhz signal is enabled, that the coverage improves.

Whether its 1x/EVDO/LTE it doesn't matter which I get.

I have a feeling that LTE is mostly hype, as when everyone gets an LTE phone the speeds will most likley go to what we get on EVDO today, especially if Sprint is feeding the towers with T1s and not fibre.

It does have better wifi as the Nexus S's was terrible and quit working occasionally.

I have a feeling that LTE is mostly hype, as when everyone gets an LTE phone the speeds will most likley go to what we get on EVDO today, especially if Sprint is feeding the towers with T1s and not fibre.

What part of LTE do you think is mostly hype? You seriously think LTE speeds are going to plummet to less than 100kbps like EVDO??? The reason why EVDO was not upgraded the past two years was because Network Vision was coming. Sprint tried to not upgrade EVDO only to turn around and upgrade it again in only two years. Most think that was a mistake now. But that issue is not directly transferrable to their LTE deployment and network.

Where did you hear that Sprint is feeding Network Vision/LTE sites with T1's? Not here. We have been reporting through articles and our forums that Sprint is upgrading to fiber/microwave/AAV backhaul in Network Vision. If Sprint connected LTE to T1 lines, it would be limited to 1.5Mbps speeds. Because that's what T1's max out at. However, the live LTE sites being reported about now are pushing 20Mbps+.

Sprint has a clear plan for additional LTE capacity, that is way better than AT&T has, and even better than Verizon has all things considered.

Robert

• Like 5

On a few posts you mention that 'most' sites will have their feeds upgraded to fibre/microwave, why not all, is that because they already have the higher bandwidth feeds?

Who knows what will happen if the towers get saturated over time, just how the current towers have done slowly over the years. Whether its the spectrum of the backhaul data lines.

I hope that Sprint will expand their coverage foot print.

Do you know anything if they plan for this by adding towers, or are they sticking to be a urban carrier like T-Mobile?

I was surprised that the county law enforcement agency in my area uses Sprint CDMA for their patrol car laptop connection and Sprint iDEN for their phone, combined about 1200 devices. They go to some areas where they have zero signal from Sprint/Verizon for their data, their Nextel still works a lot of the time. I do hope that Sprint has thought of all of this in their grand plan.

thanks

On a few posts you mention that 'most' sites will have their feeds upgraded to fibre/microwave' date=' why not all, is that because they already have the higher bandwidth feeds?

Who knows what will happen if the towers get saturated over time, just how the current towers have done slowly over the years. Whether its the spectrum of the backhaul data lines.

I hope that Sprint will expand their coverage foot print.

Do you know anything if they plan for this by adding towers, or are they sticking to be a urban carrier like T-Mobile?

I was surprised that the county law enforcement agency in my area uses Sprint CDMA for their patrol car laptop connection and Sprint iDEN for their phone, combined about 1200 devices. They go to some areas where they have zero signal from Sprint/Verizon for their data, their Nextel still works a lot of the time. I do hope that Sprint has thought of all of this in their grand plan.

thanks[/quote']

When I say most sites, I mean 99.9% or so. There will be approx 100 sites out of 38,000 that will not get LTE because Sprint cannot get backhaul to serve the sites. These are typically in very remote and unusual spots. Like isolated desert canyons, etc. Sprint will not set up repetitive MW links for 30 miles to pick up an isolated tower in a remote location. Its just not worth the expense in those situations.

And you're right about 'who knows' over time. And if you would have said 'who knows' how Sprint will handle their future network over time, I wouldn't have responded. And who knows how AT&T, VZW, Tmo will respond over time? And this time around, Sprint has solid plans for additional LTE capacity. If anything, I would be more nervous to be an ATT customer for the long term. They have the weakest long term capacity plans and keep crying they are running out of spectrum.

Sprint will likely grow in the long term. Some time after profitability returns. They do not have the funds to add new coverage areas at this time. They are just going to be able to fund Network Vision at this time.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

When I say most sites, I mean 99.9% or so. There will be approx 100 sites out of 38,000 that will not get LTE because Sprint cannot get backhaul to serve the sites. These are typically in very remote and unusual spots. Like isolated desert canyons, etc. Sprint will not set up repetitive MW links for 30 miles to pick up an isolated tower in a remote location. Its just not worth the expense in those situations.

And you're right about 'who knows' over time. And if you would have said 'who knows' how Sprint will handle their future network over time, I wouldn't have responded. And who knows how AT&T, VZW, Tmo will respond over time? And this time around, Sprint has solid plans for additional LTE capacity. If anything, I would be more nervous to be an ATT customer for the long term. They have the weakest long term capacity plans and keep crying they are running out of spectrum.

Sprint will likely grow in the long term. Some time after profitability returns. They do not have the funds to add new coverage areas at this time. They are just going to be able to fund Network Vision at this time.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Couldn't agree more. AT&T's long-term capacity plan was T-Mobile's AWS. Now that that's gone... their next show is Dish's S-band.

While it will never happen, nothing would make me happier than to see AT&T roam on clearwire.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I love my nexus but this thing has been getting very hot. Right now it measures 125F. Only playing local music, not charging. Should I take it in? It routinely gets above 115 or more regardless of tasks.