Just got my new galaxy nexus, who's with me? Also, any lte in your area?

themuffinman

Nexus not that great of a phone. Bluetooth is awful

its so slow as well. I already miss my photon

I'm happy with the speed of my GNex. It feels faster than my E4GT with ICS. However, the Radios are horrible in the GNex. :td:

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

If the radios are horrible in a phone' date=' doesn't that make it a bad phone?

[/quote']

Is someone saying its a great phone with bad radios?

I wonder if the CDMA version of the Samsung GSIII will just be as bad.

RF testing looked pretty good, even slightly better than the EVO LTE. And I will know soon enough. Hopefully me pre order will show up mid next week.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Got mine on release week and have has ZERO problems.

Signal good. WiFi good. Call clarity good.

The only minor wrinkle was, not surpringly, the battery which I solved with a Seidio 3800 mAh extended battery.

Numbers below:

4257689c-71aa-43ff.jpg

It is the best phone that I have had.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

Edited by VW Maverick

Got mine on release week and have has ZERO problems.

Signal good. WiFi good. Call clarity good.

The only minor wrinkle was' date=' not surpringly, the battery which I solved with a Seidio 3800 mAh extended battery.

Numbers below:

It is the best phone that I have had.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.[/quote']

I wish I could report similar findings. My GNex radio is the worst of any phone I've ever had. Love the phone, hate the radio.

I wish I could report similar findings. My GNex radio is the worst of any phone I've ever had. Love the phone, hate the radio.

You may have a lemon. Have you tried to exchange it for another one?

I have heard that often helps others in similar straights.

You may have a lemon. Have you tried to exchange it for another one?

I have heard that often helps others in similar straights.

I have heard so many similar findings from other people and S4GRU members. It is not unusable by any sense, but very noticeably different. I live in the mountains and a device with 10% lesser performing radios has a significant impact on me.

If I lived in a urban/suburban area, I probably wouldn't notice. I will only have this device a few more days as my daily user. I have pre ordered the GS3.

I have noticed that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have as strong of a cell signal when compared with an older Nexus S, it is quite a bit poorer. I don't have signals where I used to, can't stream Pandora when driving in my car anymore. :td:

It isn't just the Sprint signal that it can't get, its the Verizon roaming one too.

I'm only keeping it in the hopes that when the 800 Mhz signal is enabled, that the coverage improves.

Whether its 1x/EVDO/LTE it doesn't matter which I get.

I have a feeling that LTE is mostly hype, as when everyone gets an LTE phone the speeds will most likley go to what we get on EVDO today, especially if Sprint is feeding the towers with T1s and not fibre.

It does have better wifi as the Nexus S's was terrible and quit working occasionally.

I think verizon must use T1's in my area, becuase all I could get most of the time was 400-600kbs from LTE. ( 3-4 bars with 76 to 86dbm-)

As soon as sprint does put's up working LTE in my area, I think I will drop verizon even if all I could get was 5-10mbs DL.

and it would cost me more to go with sprint due to not really texting and 450 min + unlimited data+ 20% off with work.( They only do a verizon discount, becuase they have some "ties" that I am not really going to go into.)

Edited by 4ktvs

I think verizon must use T1's in my area' date=' becuase all I could get most of the time was 400-600kbs from LTE. ( 3-4 bars with 76 to 86dbm-)

As soon as sprint does put's up working LTE in my area, I think I will drop verizon even if all I could get was 5-10mbs DL.

and it would cost me more to go with sprint due to not really texting and 450 min + unlimited data+ 20% off with work.( They only do a verizon discount, becuase they have some "ties" that I am not really going to go into.)[/quote']

Please post a speed test of getting 400-600kbps over LTE. That is completely ridiculous to have LTE active without proper backhaul.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Please post a speed test of getting 400-600kbps over LTE. That is completely ridiculous to have LTE active without proper backhaul.

Here you go:

I gave up trying to fix it, I just deal with it.

Here you go:

I gave up trying to fix it' date=' I just deal with it.[/quote']

That's a throttled connection all right... The upload speeds are normal for LTE, and are well above what a T1 would provide. What did you do to PO verizon? Lol

That's a throttled connection all right... The upload speeds are normal for LTE, and are well above what a T1 would provide. What did you do to PO verizon? Lol

Well I ment to say it felt that way when trying to DL any thing. What did I do... I used 84GB in one month back in jan, so now any time I go over 4GB, BAM throttling kicks in. I was told about 10 times by verizon that this was not the case and then I started to think it was the phone/network. As you have seen I am on the unlimited data plan. You can look at my 20 videos all showing about the same thing if you think this was a one time thing.

Now as to why I used 84GB, I was told over and over that on verizon 4G unlimited = unlimited and they did not care how much I used and that I could even run my home internet off it if I wanted to, it was so good.

The point is, that I will never likely know what the deal is and I am sure if I had the time to call them 10 more or so times I could find out, but now I am really going to try and make my home ISP work right. I may try and get this fixed one day and/or drop them, but for now I will put it off.

Well I ment to say it felt that way when trying to DL any thing. What did I do... I used 84GB in one month back in jan' date=' so now any time I go over 4GB, BAM throttling kicks in. I was told about 10 times by verizon that this was not the case and then I started to think it was the phone/network. As you have seen I am on the unlimited data plan. You can look at my 20 videos all showing about the same thing if you think this was a one time thing.

Now as to why I used 84GB, I was told over and over that on verizon 4G unlimited = unlimited and they did not care how much I used and that I could even run my home internet off it if I wanted to, it was so good.

The point is, that I will never likely know what the deal is and I am sure if I had the time to call them 10 more or so times I could find out, but now I am really going to try and make my home ISP work right. I may try and get this fixed one day and/or drop them, but for now I will put it off.[/quote']

I can guarantee that if you use 84gb on Sprint's LTE network, you will see throttled speeds there as well or the cancellation of your contract. Mobile data is for mobile phones, 84gb is obvious and blatant abuse.

I can guarantee that if you use 84gb on Sprint's LTE network, you will see throttled speeds there as well or the cancellation of your contract. Mobile data is for mobile phones, 84gb is obvious and blatant abuse.

I only did that one time and I really avg 10-30GB a month and I know it's high as mess. I knew I could be throttled for that (Even if they said no way would I be throttled), but then now they have locked me down( I have been "throttled" at 2GB before). That's not my only issue with there network, just to note I think verizon is over rated( I have droped 2 call's vs one on AT&T and 3G/4G just drops all over the place, from day one). I only used it at night to try and not stress the network, but I did not really look at my useage intill the end of the month.

I came here to get some info on 4G and what it's limits are, becuase I don't know. I guess Becuase it's about 10 times faster= 10 x or more data can be used before issues pop up. I tryed to find a limit for 4G LTE data use and I could not find it, so I took a guess. I guessed 30GB to 50GB was ok to use on 4G LTE due to it's speed. ( Now I know it's more likely only about 2-3x 3G, but I still don't really know for sure.)

I never ment to inply that I would want to use 84GB on sprints network, I would likely end up using less than 10GB.

Edit: It's likely going to be a bit and I hope by then my home ISP is fixed so I don't use 84GB any more.( well I really would not be able to any ways with out throttling or the phone over heating.)

Edited by 4ktvs

Ya, sounds like you're definitely throttled. When Verizon is expecting users to just use a few GB per month and then one goes way, way beyond that (notice that they don't promise you un-limited speeds), they have to do damage control measures. Like throttling.

I'll probably use on the order of 5-10GB per month on my upcoming phone, untethered (tethering, if I did it, would be a tiny, tiny portion of that, maybe 500MB if not less, because I don't want to abuse the system). High-quality Pandora or Amazon CLoud Player while taking a longish run, or realtime photo uploads of some sort or other, would be easily doable via LTE, so I'd use up a fair amount of data with them. The GSIII does 1080p video; I'm not going to upload an hour-long clip over 4G, but if it's something short then sure, I would.

From the person who was responsible for STi Mobile's 12MB per week fair usage policy (I P2P'd over a 1x connection while my parents had dialup, racking up a whopping 1.2GB or so over the course of a few days...over 1xRTT!), I know that you can thrash a mobile broadband connection, and I know how. These days, I only thrash a connection if its gear connects a fixed point (via wireless or otherwise) to the Internet...I have no qualms about transferring hundreds of gigabytes over my cable connection, because the cable plant has around 40 Mbps of upload capacity (of which I can use 15) and 150 Mbps of download capacity (of which I can use 50). If I'm shuttling files around non-stop, it doesn't hurt other folks who also use the network.

Would I do that if I knew that I was sharing 5 MHz of spectrum in each direction with a hundred other subscribers on the same cell site? Nope. Not unless there were a heck of a lot of bits per Hertz there!

I only did that one time and I really avg 10-30GB a month and I know it's high as mess. I knew I could be throttled for that (Even if they said no way would I be throttled), but then now they have locked me down( I have been "throttled" at 2GB before). That's not my only issue with there network, just to note I think verizon is over rated( I have droped 2 call's vs one on AT&T and 3G/4G just drops all over the place, from day one). I only used it at night to try and not stress the network, but I did not really look at my useage intill the end of the month.

I came here to get some info on 4G and what it's limits are, becuase I don't know. I guess Becuase it's about 10 times faster= 10 x or more data can be used before issues pop up. I tryed to find a limit for 4G LTE data use and I could not find it, so I took a guess. I guessed 30GB to 50GB was ok to use on 4G LTE due to it's speed. ( Now I know it's more likely only about 2-3x 3G, but I still don't really know for sure.)

I never ment to inply that I would want to use 84GB on sprints network, I would likely end up using less than 10GB.

Edit: It's likely going to be a bit and I hope by then my home ISP is fixed so I don't use 84GB any more.( well I really would not be able to any ways with out throttling or the phone over heating.)

The only firm number that any carrier will give you regarding how much data they will let you burn through without penalty is if you move to a tiered plan. There is no magic number on Sprint. As iansltx points out, you are sharing 5mhz of download and 5mhz of upload bandwidth with everyone else accessing that tower. You are also sharing the backhaul with everyone on that tower from 3G 1x and any other tower that is connected through microwave. By heavily using data, you are impacting their user experience as well. As soon as Sprint, or any other carrier identifies that you are a "data hog" they will take action to ensure that you do not impact the other users. Verizon did that by throttling, which they claim to not throttle their LTE (but you are not the only person I have heard getting throttled by Verizon). AT&T throttles, but doesn't beat around the bush about it.

So, even though the data may be "unlimited" that merely means that Sprint will not charge you for using too much. If your usage is deemed abuse, they will not hesitate to throttle your account or end your contract. I have seen claims of people on Sprint who were tethering with 3G while not having a tethering plan and had their phone throttled.

• Like 1

I know that Sprint has unlimited plans for smartphones, but people should not take advantage and use it as their only internet. You are making it harder on everybody else who are not abusing the system. So moderate your usage, particularly during high traffic times. If everybody who is stuck in traffic on I35 in Austin is streaming Pandora at the same time, don't complain if it cuts in and out. Just sayin......

• Like 5

If I had this:http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiosinternet/#plans were I live, I would likely never use more than 5GB a month ever again on my phone.

During the day time, I did and even more so moderated my usage. So is 2GB the limit on verizon then? Even AT&T is better than that.

yep as soon as they put LTE up at the end of the year, I am going into some sprint store's. :)

If I had this:http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiosinternet/#plans were I live, I would likely never use more than 5GB a month ever again on my phone.

During the day time, I did and even more so moderated my usage. So is 2GB the limit on verizon then? Even AT&T is better than that.

yep as soon as they put LTE up at the end of the year, I am going into some sprint store's. :)

I know a guy who has been getting throttled by verizon, but his doesn't kick in until 5GB and he is only throttled to around 2Mbps. He actually doesn't care that he is throttled. He usually used 25-30GB per month. That is still high, but not apparently high enough to get on the VZW lockdown plan like you are on. The other difference might be that he was not tethering, he was downloading and hosting torrents on his phone.

I know a guy who has been getting throttled by verizon, but his doesn't kick in until 5GB and he is only throttled to around 2Mbps. He actually doesn't care that he is throttled. He usually used 25-30GB per month. That is still high, but not apparently high enough to get on the VZW lockdown plan like you are on. The other difference might be that he was not tethering, he was downloading and hosting torrents on his phone.

I tethered with out using a app or root. It just let me use usb tethering. I used it for HD video and steam DL. ( I hate steam, but I got to use it.) I used it to DL BF3 to my laptop one night.( That was 20GB right there.) I don't do torrent's at all so that's not why.

I guessed no one was really using the network at the time, becuase the "good" 4G phones were $300 a pop on a 2 year and I was the only one I saw with a verzion 4G phone. ( Now in the last month I have seen 3 4G verizon phones and two 4G LTE AT&T phones in my aera.) The really odd part is that I can "unthrottle" myself if I reboot in a good signal aera and well it's really odd they wait about 24 hours before "throttling" me again.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late, but I just picked one up today despite the reports of poor radios and bad battery life. The radios seem fine, but I can confirm it's a battery hog. Maybe the battery needs to be broken in. I'm definitely picking up the sprint version of the extended battery when it's available in August.

I wanted to like the GS3, but couldn't get past the home button, shiny look, and touchwiz.

Can't wait for Jellybean, especially after using the nexus 7!

I'm late, but I just picked one up today despite the reports of poor radios and bad battery life. The radios seem fine, but I can confirm it's a battery hog. Maybe the battery needs to be broken in. I'm definitely picking up the sprint version of the extended battery when it's available in August.

I wanted to like the GS3, but couldn't get past the home button, shiny look, and touchwiz.

Can't wait for Jellybean, especially after using the nexus 7!

I knew you would. LOL

The verizon extended battery is the same thing as sprint except for the battery cover that comes with it. You can use the stock battery cover, but it fits rather tight.

I knew you would. LOL

The verizon extended battery is the same thing as sprint except for the battery cover that comes with it. You can use the stock battery cover, but it fits rather tight.

I'm just glad it's over! I've been thinking about my next phone since the last android update made my OG EVO slow and laggy. I was waiting on the new EVO, the GS3, or the new photon. I read everything about every new phone from every site. Didn't want a fixed battery, a physical keyboard, and after my experience with the NS4G, didn't really want a manufacturer skin.

So galaxy nexus it is, along with its crappy radio and battery! Because plain android and jellybean!