Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

The primary network that controls the throughput for the sites is now complete. 

Hold on to your butts. It's coming.

To elaborate on what this means...

Basically, the network that the NV sites connect to is complete and is being beefed up with bandwidth. This will allow for the Denver area clusters to start coming online as they are connected/tested/BS. 

Now we wait for news on the NV switches. The network ring connects to the various switches and the switches send it out from there to the other switches in other states.

Lets start an analogy. The sites are your fingers. The network ring is your torso. The switch is your brain.

What's missing?

Your arm, aka the backhaul. The last mile of fiber to a site. 

Some fingers already have arms. Some torsos are connected to brains. But as of right now, everyone has a torso and that torso is being built up until it has a damn six-pack of abs ( 10GB/Second at a time :-] ).

BTW, Chicago is live with this same system and they are getting 45-60Mbps down.

Hold on to your butts. 

• Like 2

*butt held*  Granted I feel a little awkward walking around with my hands on my butt, but I trust Merlin on this one. 

~I'm dreaming a fast Christmas, Not like the ones I used to know. Where the data is speedy, and connections aren't greedy, and Pandora is streaming all day long.~

My apologies to Irving Berlin

Edited by J_GAG
  • Like 1

Sadly, not this year. 

On a side note, it looks like I may be on-call for Christmas fixes. You guys keep the complaints to a minimum, m'kay?

I know, but I couldn't think of any good President Day songs.  And I hope you aren't called in to work tomorrow.  The network can wait. (Plus, I'll be on wifi all day ;)

Pretty quiet day in the field. Merry Christmas, folks!

BTW, resources have been slowly shifting north of Denver and the metro area NV sites are in the "clean-up lose ends" stage. 

Wont be long before we see a few more green lights on the LTE cards. I've already visited a few that are live but are not on those pretty little sensorly maps. Get to it. 

*cough CoBLVD and I25 cough*

• Like 2

Pretty quiet day in the field. Merry Christmas, folks!

BTW, resources have been slowly shifting north of Denver and the metro area NV sites are in the "clean-up lose ends" stage.

Wont be long before we see a few more green lights on the LTE cards. I've already visited a few that are live but are not on those pretty little sensorly maps. Get to it.

I will be driving by tomorrow morning, I'll try to map as much is possible ????????????????

I work in Glendale and although I can't map on my iphone, I'll report if I see anything interesting.  

This is getting fun.  I'm almost going to be sad when it's done.  (I know, I know, it's never "done"), lol.

• Like 1

Merlin, do you have any info for us folk in Grand Junction.  I am pretty sure that we have equipment on the towers but so far nothing is active.  Are we also waiting for backhaul?

Not sure what is going on. There are no more legacy sites out there. My guess is that have to wait for extensive backhaul. Most of the sites are microwave bounce sites. Probably going to be an "all at once" type switch over to fiber once the most remote sites are complete. 

Other than the sites in the small towns all other sites are mountaintop pain-in-the-GSM sites to reach. 

Combine that with clay soil that turns to mashed-potatoes-mixed-with-glue when wet and crews not wanting to venture into the wild and it looks like late spring, early summer for you.

So I'm having a pretty uneventful night and have been googling LTE Denver trying to find anything new and I came across a post on the sprint message boards from a few days ago. Disregarding all the whining and complaining, the second to last post is a sprint rep telling a poster that a tower next to his house around 1st and Quebec is scheduled for upgrades within 90 days. I'm a little confused because every sprint tower I've seen around here has been upgraded. I haven't looked at this site in particular, but are there still towers around here that haven't been upgraded with the NV equipment? Or was this a way of the rep telling the dissatisfied customer that the LTE launch will happen within 90 days? I hope it's the former. I've been getting psyched watching the sensorly map grow and Merlin's pumping us all up! Any info would be great. Here's the link: https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/144154

So I'm having a pretty uneventful night and have been googling LTE Denver trying to find anything new and I came across a post on the sprint message boards from a few days ago. Disregarding all the whining and complaining, the second to last post is a sprint rep telling a poster that a tower next to his house around 1st and Quebec is scheduled for upgrades within 90 days. I'm a little confused because every sprint tower I've seen around here has been upgraded. I haven't looked at this site in particular, but are there still towers around here that haven't been upgraded with the NV equipment? Or was this a way of the rep telling the dissatisfied customer that the LTE launch will happen within 90 days? I hope it's the former. I've been getting psyched watching the sensorly map grow and Merlin's pumping us all up! Any info would be great. Here's the link: https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/144154

They say that to everyone on the sprint boards, don't ask me why they are trained to say that( or told to say that)

• Like 2

Scheduled for upgrades can mean different things. It could be that LTE is expected to go live within 90 days, or that equipment will be installed withing 90 days (likely already installed) or the 3G upgrades will go live within 90 days, or ... etc. 

Basically, they are only given 3 month windows for when work will be completed. It's either going to be within 90 days, 180 days, or "we don't have anything scheduled for that site."

So, that "within 90 days" could mean tomorrow, or it could mean 3 months. Likely sooner rather than later given the state of the upgrades in Denver.

• Like 1

There's some lte at edgewater by 20th and sheridan buy no signal

Sensorly, or it didn't happen. :-)

Getting 4G here in South Metro. I hope they turn on Parker soon

Thanks Merlin for all your hard work. Happy Holidays!

You're Welcome

They say that to everyone on the sprint boards, don't ask me why they are trained to say that( or told to say that)

Rule number 1) Don't make promises, people get butthurt.

I thought Rule #1 was don't believe anyone who works at Sprint Customer service.  Since most of us were told we were getting LTE in our area in less than six months and that was two years ago. 

I'm gonna be harsh here for a second.

1) They didn't lie, that was the initial plan and project completion date. Samsung dropped the ball from what I am hearing.

2) NEVER trust anyone who wants to sell you something. Period. Do your research. 

3) Keep bringing that up, in only makes Sprint lose subscribers and makes maintaining and adding bandwidth next to impossible if their market share decreases.

:-)

I thought Rule #1 was don't believe anyone who works at Sprint Customer service. Since most of us were told we were getting LTE in our area in less than six months and that was two years ago.

Two years ago LTE had barely been announced, and they were still anticipating 3-4 years for deployment rather than the roughly two years that it will actually take.

So if you're going by the info that was around two years ago, yeah, they lied, they're way ahead of schedule!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1