Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Boys and girls. I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy Mega yesterday. I did the system update so I should get all 3 bands. I will be doing some driving this weekend. I will post my findings in a couple of days. Enjoy and thanks to Merlin for all of his insight to all of us. Santa!!

• Like 3

So I don't think I actually did see this map. I could be wrong. So those are all of sprints sites encluding clear wire?

The map that I linked you to is Sprint only. The Clearwire maps are only in the Premier Section, for now. 

Anywhere you have a EVDO signal, you will see LTE. Samsung (the company doing upgrades in Denver) has not started activating LTE on a large scale yet. There are currently only 2 sites active with LTE near Thorton. Once the project is complete, every site on the map I linked to will have LTE, plus the Clearwire sites that will feature TD-LTE. 

Somepoint over the next couple of years, Sprint is going to expand and densify the TD-LTE network, so it will expand beyond the current WiMax footprint. 

Merlin,

Maybe you could shed some light on this. I have wonder why the NV upgrades seem to have started outside of Denver and seem to be working there way in, instead of starting with the city and working it's way out into rural areas?

A few pages ago I was talking about the "network ring" that just got completed... that is the reason.

Those outer sites are not part of the same "network". They are provided bandwidth by whoever provides the fiber to the site or site-chain. The network ring in Denver will be directly connected and will share bandwidth.

Why, you ask?

Because of large congregations of people using their phones. Think a stadium worth.

In the past the sites near these congregations would be massive, 2 cabinets, fully stocked with control cards, only to be used infrequently. This ring allows the entire network to share the burden and not get demolished during a traffic jam (literately). Those who live/work near i25 know this well. During rush hour near that hell-hole you might as well not have a phone. This will not be the case with this new setup.

Trust me, it's sexy how it works. and in a few years the other carriers are going to be wishing they had gone this route.

• Like 1

So I connect to 800 at my house but the signal is not good and then goes away. The bid says I'm connected to castle rock. That can't be right or can it? Also will I notice a difference on 800?

If it's not good, and goes away quickly, it's quite likely that the signal is coming from Castle Rock. That's part of the reason Sprint's network is going to ... rock ... once the upgrades are complete. The range of 1x800 will blow 1900 out of the water. We've already seen that in other markets around the country. 

Holy crap. I only ask cause I'm in Thornton north of Denver and castle rock is like an hour away south

Yep. I've lived in Colorado Springs and Broomfield, so I know the distance! We've been getting reports of 1x800 connections 30-50 miles from the originating sites. 

Wow that's just awesome. So there is no need for Sprint to light up every site with 800? Lte can't travel that far right? My biggest thing is I'm in a basement and my signal is not great. For obvious reasons. Like one bar maybe two to I go to roam on cricket or Verizon. So will this 800 and all the nv upgrades get completed will I get a better signal in my basement? I know it's probably hard to say but I thought I asked

Wow that's just awesome. So there is no need for Sprint to light up every site with 800? Lte can't travel that far right? My biggest thing is I'm in a basement and my signal is not great. For obvious reasons. Like one bar maybe two to I go to roam on cricket or Verizon. So will this 800 and all the nv upgrades get completed will I get a better signal in my basement? I know it's probably hard to say but I thought I asked

Sprint is adding 1x800 to approximately 80% of it's sites. That's nationwide, so it will vary by market. It may be the case that the site you are getting a signal from hasn't had it's final adjustments, and the power out put may be turned down as more adjacent sites are brought online. Though I'm only guessing at that. Merlin might have a better idea.

When sites closer to you have 1x800 activated, yes, you'll likely see a significant signal boost, and it may be enough to have signal in your basement. Until it happens, it's impossible to know for sure though.

LTE travels just as far, however, you need a strong signal for it to be usable. So 800 LTE will not be usable at the same distance that 1x800 is. However, it should provide a noticeable boost over the range of 1900 LTE.

• Like 2

Very cool. Hey thank you so much for explaining all of this. Some of the post I wasn't understanding and people were not actually talking about what I needed. But wow this is going to be amazing. Hurry hurry:) so will 800 and lte be turned on at once you think?

• Like 1

Very cool. Hey thank you so much for explaining all of this. Some of the post I wasn't understanding and people were not actually talking about what I needed. But wow this is going to be amazing. Hurry hurry:) so will 800 and lte be turned on at once you think?

1x800, 800 LTE, 1900 LTE?

Which do you mean?

When they fire up your cluster, 1x800 should be active, as well as the improved PCS 1x and EVDO.

If 1900 LTE is ready to go, it will be activated as well. Not all sites are ready for LTE, waiting on proper backhaul to be delivered. 800 LTE is a wildcard. It's possible it will be activated as well, we just don't know yet. Maybe Merlin does ;)

• Like 1

Found some more LTE at I-25 and Hwy 52. Sometimes and it's rare I can pick up on bar of LTE in this location. This morning I actually saw 3 bars at one point. Signal was pretty decent. Wonder if it's a new tower upgrade in the area.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I just purchased a Nexus 5 phone and was getting a sim for it at the store.  The employee said that the LTE Signals travel better at higher altitude compared to sea level is there any truth to that?

I suppose you could make an argument for dense air (low altitude) vs thin air (high altitude) or dry vs moist air, but the difference to the end user is pretty much negligible. The employee you talked to probably had no idea what they were talking about.

• Like 1

Hey I just saw the map that got updated yesterday and see that we got a green on a tower on centennial. Sweet. When I click on it says the switch is wss- core Denver Englewood. The wss part is new. What does that mean

1x800, 800 LTE, 1900 LTE?

Which do you mean?

When they fire up your cluster, 1x800 should be active, as well as the improved PCS 1x and EVDO.

If 1900 LTE is ready to go, it will be activated as well. Not all sites are ready for LTE, waiting on proper backhaul to be delivered. 800 LTE is a wildcard. It's possible it will be activated as well, we just don't know yet. Maybe Merlin does ;)

If you want to play with 800LTE a little early you will have to make a trip to our windy neighbor state to the north. I have only seen 800LTE cards in the wild up there. Most of the NV sites here have an approved purchase made for the 800LTE card, but they have not shown up as of yet.

I suppose you could make an argument for dense air (low altitude) vs thin air (high altitude) or dry vs moist air, but the difference to the end user is pretty much negligible. The employee you talked to probably had no idea what they were talking about.

Any boost due to density is immediately canceled out by the high atmosphere turbulence we experience.

Translation: it's windy.

• Like 1