Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Nice, I'll have to do some driving around tomorrow.  I live right near the CSU campus.  3G has gotten better recently (with good reason).  Seeing lots of 1x800 up here.

Do you have any idea which band of LTE you are getting? I don't have a tri-band device.

Just took this about 10 minutes ago here in Fort Collins.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Nice, I'll have to do some driving around tomorrow.  I live right near the CSU campus.  3G has gotten better recently (with good reason).  Seeing lots of 1x800 up here.

Do you have any idea which band of LTE you are getting? I don't have a tri-band device.

So this ping is not accurate then?

That was in edgewater but I was really close to the tower.

Yes, and no. There will be times when that ping is normal, there will be times when it is 3-4 times that.

I shouldn't get too far into the specifics but that site is likely the first branch on the network ring. Top of the food chain.

And you can't really say what the resting ping will be until the full network is active.

• Like 2

For some reason you message contents didn't show up here but I saw it in the email notification.  Robert said above that the Spark icon will show for all bands of LTE (which of course is confusing).  I couldn't get any LTE driving around a little bit this morning.  I went on the south side of campus on Prospect and then took shields south.  It could be that they were testing it yesterday or that it is just Band 41 that is active.  Let me know if you get it again.

Yes, and no. There will be times when that ping is normal, there will be times when it is 3-4 times that.

I shouldn't get too far into the specifics but that site is likely the first branch on the network ring. Top of the food chain.

And you can't really say what the resting ping will be until the full network is active.

Network Vision contracts require 90ms ping times minimum when tested unburdened.  Even at the terminal end of a microwave chain.  Sites that cannot achieve 90ms are supposed to be corrected.  But a lot of rule bending has occurred to keep things moving.

Robert

forgot to mention that those speeds where on 3g not LTE if makes a difference :)

So this ping is not accurate then?

That was in edgewater but I was really close to the tower.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

forgot to mention that those speeds where on 3g not LTE if makes a difference :)

It should be plenty accurate. It's the Sensorly speed tests that I don't trust. The Ookla app tends to work great, because they have many, many servers to choose from across the country.

Sensorly, on the other hand, only has a few, and the app tends to pick the one furthest from you for some reason (and you can't change that) resulting in inflated ping numbers and inaccurate download speeds. 

• Like 1

New to this forum, and I don't know all the technical stuff.  I am hoping LTE comes to Denver soon.  FWIW, here are two speedtests of an LTE signal I'm getting in downtown Denver.  The Ookla was yesterday (the fastest of about five tests), and the Sensorly is today, same location.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5eaa6o3keegohuc/speedtest.jpg

post-34175-0-49305100-1391803023_thumb.jpg

Edited by denverm

Network Vision contracts require 90ms ping times minimum when tested unburdened.  Even at the terminal end of a microwave chain.  Sites that cannot achieve 90ms are supposed to be corrected.  But a lot of rule bending has occurred to keep things moving.

Robert

It's that "unburdened" part that changes as the rest of the network is brought on. When we test for acceptance we patch the site out of the network ring, test the connection, and then patch it back. The point is to test the connections and equipment that was contracted out to the 90ms standard.

Got a question for those of you in the know. On the site cellrecption.com. Sprint is only showing 7 towers in the Denver area. Through my app Lte Discovery, I have followed signals to neighborhoods with no towers. Is sprint using the airrave small deskstop computer towers all throughout Denver to upgade their reception? I had one. It quit working about 2 months ago. (From what I see here, that would have been about the time they were working on 4GLTE in SE Aurora) They offered me another one for free, but I didn't feel I needed it. So my ultimate question is: Is Sprint's layout of 4G Lte in Denver, predicated on replacing every one of those Air rave boxes for newer ones with 4GLTE technology?

Got a question for those of you in the know. On the site cellrecption.com. Sprint is only showing 7 towers in the Denver area. Through my app Lte Discovery, I have followed signals to neighborhoods with no towers. Is sprint using the airrave small deskstop computer towers all throughout Denver to upgade their reception? I had one. It quit working about 2 months ago. (From what I see here, that would have been about the time they were working on 4GLTE in SE Aurora) They offered me another one for free, but I didn't feel I needed it. So my ultimate question is: Is Sprint's layout of 4G Lte in Denver, predicated on replacing every one of those Air rave boxes for newer ones with 4GLTE technology?

I can tell you now that sprint has alotttttttTTTTTT more sites than 7. If you can, a donation would let you see the sites in your area and which ones have been upgraded.

Airaves aren't for data... they're for Voice. There will be no LTE upgrade for Airaves that I'm aware of. And no, that is not how Sprint builds out its network!

Until the sites around the city are upgraded, most tower locating apps are going to fail, as sites often broadcast a location offset from their actual location.

Don't trust other sites for tower locations either. Network.sprint.com will show you sites that have seen some sort of upgrade in the last 6 months, only S4GRU shows you where every single cell site is. And there are WAY more than 7. 

My airave does voice and data, I get a regular 3g signal and am able to use internet as if I had a strong 3g signal from a tower. But it doesn't really matter because my airave is hooked up to a wireless router so wifi is much faster.

My airave does voice and data, I get a regular 3g signal and am able to use internet as if I had a strong 3g signal from a tower. But it doesn't really matter because my airave is hooked up to a wireless router so wifi is much faster.

Did you have to pay the 99 for that? Or did Sprint provide it because of poor coverage?

True, they can do EVDO, but their main purpose is voice coverage. 

Hmm, looks like a post m1 migration 3g signal to me. We're working on that ping, one of the drawbacks to having a massive network ring, but oh the joy when it is done.

what does post m1 migration 3g signal mean? so the lower the ping the better? i was in blackhawk and inside a hotel room and the ping was 1.0003. something like that. i do know it was a 1.oosomething

New to this forum, and I don't know all the technical stuff.  I am hoping LTE comes to Denver soon.  FWIW, here are two speedtests of an LTE signal I'm getting in downtown Denver.  The Ookla was yesterday (the fastest of about five tests), and the Sensorly is today, same location.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5eaa6o3keegohuc/speedtest.jpg

Roughly where was this taken?

For some reason I haven't been able to connect to any of the LTE blips that have been around downtown for a week or so.