SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

On 11/5/2023 at 12:19 AM, jasonsteele said:

Timestamps for individual network types are frozen for anywhere from five to fifteen minutes, timestamps at top refresh every four seconds when I'm moving and every ten seconds when I'm stationary. I have no memory optimization used. I went through and changed a few settings: battery usage to "unrestricted", toggled modify system settings to "allowed", toggled unrestricted data usage to "on". I also just turned off adaptive connectivity. All permissions are allowed. Will test on my next drive.

If you are still experiencing this issue, could you please send a diagnostic report (from within the app, select Help > Send Diagostics) and include a brief note about the issue so I can dig into it further? Thanks!

A SignalCheck beta update is rolling out now. It includes additional temporary adjustments to resolve improper site note linking for Dish Wireless 5G-NR connections, as well as a (potential) improvement in 5G-NR cell identification, specifically for cells that the system is reporting as "unregistered" for various reasons; this may resolve issues several users have seen with delayed 5G information

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:54 PM, mikejeep said:

If you are still experiencing this issue, could you please send a diagnostic report (from within the app, select Help > Send Diagostics) and include a brief note about the issue so I can dig into it further? Thanks!

Hey Mike, after the new update I'm still showing stale data and timestamp.  I have more observations as noted below on my Pixel 8:

- I made a mistake, the timestamps at the top are stale just like the timestamps on band info.  I was actually looking at the GPS timestamp, which refresh about every 3 or 4 seconds.

- The issue does not manifest when stationary and the GPS isn't refreshing (i.e. stopped at a traffic light) .  It only persists when in motion.  The second I stop the data and timestamp refreshes every 3 or 4 seconds.

- The issue seems to be more pronounced when on an NR-SA connection, anywhere from 1 to 12 minutes delay.

- When on an NSA or LTE only connection, the delay seems to be a lot less...mostly refreshes every 4 to 15 seconds, but as long as 90 seconds.

- I have a Galaxy S22 on AT&T and don't have these issues at all.  Timestamp and data refreshes every 3 or 4 seconds.  Haven't encountered any SA on AT&T yet so I can't compare.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, mikejeep said:

I changed the behavior for the next app update, which is going to roll out shortly.. it will revert to displaying the -44 cells, but now it will skip logging them.

Mike,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Edge 2022 phone also needs this fix on the 5G-NR side.  It's a lot less common, but see this screenshot from this morning.  Wasn't able to get diagnostics as I was rolling down the road at the time.  Happened twice, both times were inconvenient.  First time I've seen it happen on 5G-NR.

https://imgur.com/a/on4d34o

All the other values are valid, so the "skip logging" option seems like the right one for the 5G-NR side as well.

- Trip

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new SignalCheck beta release is rolling out now.. this includes several bugfixes, notably issues on Android 10+ devices when Location permission was not granted, and on Android 14 devices when "Allow all the time" Location permission was not granted but the app was configured to launch at device boot.

Please test this version by temporarily revoking permissions for SCP and ensure the app does not crash -- it will not work very well due to Android security requirements, but that's the point..

• Like 1

So I revoked the permissions before doing the update on my S21FE (Android 12) and when I reopened, it asked me for the permissions, which I granted.  No crashes, all went smoothly.  Is that what you wanted?  If so, I can repeat on a few of my other post-10 devices.  If not, let me know what to do differently.

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trip said:

So I revoked the permissions before doing the update on my S21FE (Android 12) and when I reopened, it asked me for the permissions, which I granted.  No crashes, all went smoothly.  Is that what you wanted?  If so, I can repeat on a few of my other post-10 devices.  If not, let me know what to do differently.

Thanks! There have been some recent changes to Android permissions requirements that were not documented very well and caused a tremendous amount of problems, especially for users who recently updated to Android 14. Thankfully I have some decent monitoring and diagnostics in place so I was eventually able to figure out what was going on.

I'm basically looking for testers to mess around with revoking/denying/granting permissions to make sure the app doesn't crash and the workflow/warnings are reasonably clear. I do know that if you revoke/grant permissions while the app is in use, the app sometimes requires a restart (or at least as swipe out and back in) to get the proper prompting, but it's difficult to control 100% of the scenarios with the amount of background work SCP does with methods that require special permission.

6 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Thanks! There have been some recent changes to Android permissions requirements that were not documented very well and caused a tremendous amount of problems, especially for users who recently updated to Android 14. Thankfully I have some decent monitoring and diagnostics in place so I was eventually able to figure out what was going on.

I'm basically looking for testers to mess around with revoking/denying/granting permissions to make sure the app doesn't crash and the workflow/warnings are reasonably clear. I do know that if you revoke/grant permissions while the app is in use, the app sometimes requires a restart (or at least as swipe out and back in) to get the proper prompting, but it's difficult to control 100% of the scenarios with the amount of background work SCP does with methods that require special permission.

Okay.  I just pulled the Location permission with the app running, and I think it may have closed and immediately reopened.  But I got a notification telling me that "Permission required" while the app itself just said "Waiting for update.." with a spinning circle.  Once I tapped on the "Permission required" notification, it popped up asking for location permission which I then granted.

- Trip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sent you a diagnostic report. I did similar, removed all of the permissions (Networking, Phone, and Notifications) and then performed the update. When I started the app, it asked for location permission (but not the other two). I intentionally chose approximate to see how it would handle it.  The app handled this without a problem; it popped up a message explaining that it needed precise location and how to give it that permission.

After giving it precise permission and going back to the app, the app closed itself. From this point, this is where things fell off the rails. When I attempted to reopen the app, it would either immediately close itself or load and show nothing. The latter is expected because it didn't have phone permission but the app also didn't ask for it (or notification permission). I tried this repeatedly with it closing itself around 80-90% of the time and staying open a couple others. Oddly enough, a minute or so after closing the app for the last time, the phone and notification permission request prompts popped up. I have no idea what happened there but I gave the app those permissions and reloaded the app with everything as it should be. 

EDIT: I just attempted to reproduce it and noticed it did not prompt me with the option to "Allow all the time" from the pop-up. I had to go manually enable it. Most of the other behavior is similar other than if I manually selected "Exit" from the menu, that this time it immediately popped up the two permission request prompts upon exit. 

EDIT2: Tried it a third time and I tried backing out of the app. This time when I reopened the app it popped up a SignalCheck warning message (similar to the location one) saying that the Phone permission is blocked and how to enable it. This did not show up in the previous attempts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:59 PM, PedroDaGr8 said:

After giving it precise permission and going back to the app, the app closed itself. From this point, this is where things fell off the rails.

Thank you for the detailed testing results and for sending diagnostics! I was able to identify what was causing those crashes, the fix will be included in the next update.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Thank you for the detailed testing results and for sending diagnostics! I was able to identify what was causing those crashes, the fix will be included in the next update.

Glad that it helped! Unfortunately, I won't be able to test on Android 13 anymore. TMo just rolled out Android 14 for the S22U.

9 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Another SCP beta update is rolling out now with a few more bugfixes. If this version proves to be stable, non-beta users can expect to receive it later this week. Thanks for all of the feedback and support!

Just tested the new version on Android 14, everything behaves itself well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updates to SCP are rolling out now, including a new beta with some minor bugfixes. An update to the public app version that aligns with this beta is also being released today. Thank you for all of your support!

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Finding minor issues with S24 Ultra.  Mobile IP address was not appearing with LTE, but does appear with T-Mobile SA.  However it shows as n38 instead of n41.   Also have Verizon network Sim loaded - Both networks show fine.  Diags sent. 

edit: switched to n41 SA while downloading app updates then back to n38 when complete. Watched *#0011#, which stayed at n41 while n38 came and went several times.

edit2: forgot to mention: "Signal Check Pro

Mobile location services appear to be disabled  or unavailable on this device."  which appears just after starting app.  Everything appears fine once in the app for a minute or so.

edit 3: n25 appears as n2 (always), even though n2 is not a selectable band. Diags sent.  Then I turned off Verizon and then n25 appears of Tmobile.

Cellmapper detects n41 correctly, but shows n2 as well as wrong carrier.  Turning off Verizon results in no change (n2).

• Sad 1

starting my new list for s24 ultra.  Thanks Mike for noticing the other one.  Will keep this going until noticed again to keep my number of posts reasonable. 

Turning off the Verizon sim has so far resulted in no n38 being shown by SCP.  Waited about 10 minutes.  I then did the same with Verizon [edit: T-Mobile].  These issues appear to be just when you have two sims active (except the location error, which could be fixed by giving it more time if possible).

Edited by dkyeager
said Verizon when I went to say T-Mobile
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 2:45 PM, mikejeep said:

I've been very busy with other priorities lately, but I'm still keeping an eye on things!

I continue to watch the S24 Ultra SCP interaction with two sims. When n38 or n2 are reported, nothing else changes in the display.  Perhaps just a setting to change them to n41 and n25 when the plmn is T-Mobile?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two sims update:

When the primary carrier loses its connection, the last connection continues to be displayed. The time shows the last connect time and the IP address is no longer displayed. The second sim information is also displayed, correctly  (without the IP address). Can create at will. S24 Ultra  but other models likely.  On factory unlocked firmware. Diagnostics sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting auction 108 spectrum. S24 ultra 80mhz n41 nsa but only showing as nr on scp.  sent in diags.

Edits: Picking up 100mhz on a32 and it is showing in scp. 

S24 ultra shows 100mhz when verizon sim turned off and appears correctly in SCP. May have caught the changeover but will double check later.

Edit 2: Redditors on auction 108 hunts have reported 100Mhz as NSA, 80 MHz as SA (second channel)

Edited by dkyeager
  • Like 1

Sent in diag on s24 ultra factory unlocked. T-Mobile "n38" not allowing note.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 7:38 AM, dkyeager said:

I continue to watch the S24 Ultra SCP interaction with two sims. When n38 or n2 are reported, nothing else changes in the display.  Perhaps just a setting to change them to n41 and n25 when the plmn is T-Mobile?

I have workarounds that essentially do this, but it has taken some time to catch every instance in the code where things need to be adjusted, especially with dual SIMs in play. I have been making further improvements in a soon-to-be-released beta.

On 2/18/2024 at 5:15 PM, dkyeager said:

Two sims update:

When the primary carrier loses its connection, the last connection continues to be displayed. The time shows the last connect time and the IP address is no longer displayed. The second sim information is also displayed, correctly  (without the IP address). Can create at will. S24 Ultra  but other models likely.  On factory unlocked firmware. Diagnostics sent.

I see this frequently as well on my Pixel 8.. unfortunately, I have yet to come up with a workaround because the OS is still reporting it as a valid connection; at least the timestamp freezes so you have a clue that something is up. I'm still trying to find the best way to handle this.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:47 PM, dkyeager said:

Sent in diag on s24 ultra factory unlocked. T-Mobile "n38" not allowing note.

I overhauled the site note editing/saving/querying functions in the aforementioned beta in progress.. "coming soon" :)

Appreciate all of your feedback as always!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A new SignalCheck beta is rolling out now and should be available on Google Play shortly. It includes some new user-suggested features and several bug fixes. One change that should be noted is that secondary SIM cells are no longer logged by default; there is a new option under the Beta Crew menu to re-enable it if you prefer. I have not been able to get Dual SIM logging to be reliable yet, random entries mix and match the provider details and SIM number. Hoping this at least resolves the issue with inaccurate log entries for the primary SIM. Will continue to work on that.. it remains the final hurdle to open up Dual SIM support for all users.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I  have nit seen this beta update yet. Has anyone else gotten it yet?

41 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I  have nit seen this beta update yet. Has anyone else gotten it yet?

Looks like the standard beta hasn't cleared Google Play's review process yet. Sometimes it clears within an hour, sometimes it takes over a day.