I jumped from T-Mobile to Sprint!

markjcc

I've been a T-Mobile customer for 3 years now, And last week I made the jump from T-Mobile to Sprint

Why?

• I'll be having good building penetration now.. Not 2019 or whenever T-Mo gets 700Mhz from the squatters
  • I'll be no longer tied to a wifi connection just to make calls in stores such as Walmart, Home depot, Safeway.. Etc
  • I'll be saving some $$  :2tu:

Although Sprint is 5x5, I'm mostly happy with 3-8Mbps most of the time and visiting dense parts of town such as popular tourist spots i'll get upwards of 10Mbps and up. Spark is already getting deployed soon. 

• The only reason why T-Mobile has free routers and boosters is to make up for their coverage which blows (At least in my area)

76f16e6067.jpg

• Like 27

Welcome to Sprint and S4GRU!. This site is positively addictive, without any of the bad side effects that other tech sites often have.

I'm surprised though by the high pings you are getting on both carriers. You must be in a bad cell area, though it is great to hear you'll be getting Spark soon. Is there any band 41 in the area?

• Like 1

Welcome to Sprint and S4GRU!. This site is positively addictive, without any of the bad side effects that other tech sites often have.

I'm surprised though by the high pings you are getting on both carriers. You must be in a bad cell area, though it is great to hear you'll be getting Spark soon. Is there any band 41 in the area?

B41 is being tested 5 miles from my location, but I saw contract workers working on the tower on the roof of the mall (where sprint is conveniently in) Coincidence maybe?

Can't wait till B41 is out, Clear/Clearwire has lots of their WiMax cell sites here.

• Like 3

B41 is being tested 5 miles from my location, but I saw contract workers working on the tower on the roof of the mall (where sprint is conveniently in) Coincidence maybe?

Can't wait till B41 is out, Clear/Clearwire has lots of their WiMax cell sites here.

Band 41 is quickly becoming Sprint's main band in more areas where it already is present. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, where back when I had Sprint, Signal Check Pro would often show either as Sprint b41 or Clear b41, though not in all areas where I know either should have appeared, making me think that not all of the Clear towers had b41 active in use for LTE yet.

The closest tower to me, which I know is a Clear tower from back when I had Clear and the store employees pointed it out to me on a map, also is listed on the S4GRU Premier map (I'm fairly certain it is the same tower). That tower, if it is the same tower, I believe LTE is not being used on b41, despite b41 being present on the site, as it likely is still being used for WiMax.

I've never got b41 LTE on that site, though I'm hoping that changes once WiMax is shut down. If this is the case where you are with non-activated band 41 for Sprint LTE because of it being used still for WiMax, hopefully that will change by you too when WiMax shuts down.

• Like 1

Welcome to Sprint. You'll find most of us just believe in people choosing the best carrier for where they live that gives them the most value. For some people that will be T-Mobile or the other carriers but increasingly the best value and speed option will be Sprint going forward. 

• Like 3

THIS! You sir, are the type of person that average consumers should be like. You're not someone who is obsessed with insane speeds in isolated areas, rather you are more concerned about reliable service at a decent price. My faith in the American consumer has been restored! Lol.

Anyways, welcome to Sprint! I hope you enjoy your stay!

-Anthony

• Like 14

The one does say that it's hosted by University of Hawaii...wherever in the state that is, so at least the closest server is closer than 2000 miles away ;). I think Hawaii is one of the more recent NV markets. It took a several months after my market was converted to NV to get the ping times down. It gradually has got better as time passed. Even 3G EVDO pings are now under 100ms in most tests that I have done. :)

Tempting to switch lol so we got 800 MHz on Maui?  How's it on the pali? Tmo is useless for data between olowalu and maalaea. I was looking at switching but they didn't upgrade that many sites, I think the west side only got one down by Kaanapali so there's no lte once you had north a ways. 

ookla should really consider a server out in Hawaii, those pings..smh!

They should. However, when you considered that most of what a Hawaiian would do on their smartphone would not be run locally but statewide, it's probably more accurate to check a stateside server when considering typical results.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 1

UH has many campuses, but I'm guessing the speed test server is located on the Honolulu campus. EDIT: Derp. Nope. Probably Manoa.

In terms of Maui coverage, I'm waiting for native coverage in Hana....but I don't think that'll ever happen!

Tempting to switch lol so we got 800 MHz on Maui?  How's it on the pali? Tmo is useless for data between olowalu and maalaea. I was looking at switching but they didn't upgrade that many sites, I think the west side only got one down by Kaanapali so there's no lte once you had north a ways. 

Yeah We've got 800Mhz 1X Advanced for Voice and slow data

And 800Mhz LTE (Band 26).

I haven't been there lately, However general performance I'd say better than T-Mobile. T-Mobile may be Data strong outdoors.. But step into Safeway in Maui Lani or Home Depot in Kahului, Bye bye Data Strong.. Say hello to edge!

However I think they're working on Spark, When I was driving to kihei I managed to pickup some Band 41, But not anymore perhaps they were testing it.

• Like 1

UH has many campuses, but I'm guessing the speed test server is located on the Honolulu campus. EDIT: Derp. Nope. Probably Manoa.

In terms of Maui coverage, I'm waiting for native coverage in Hana....but I don't think that'll ever happen!

We'll never know, our guy who stalks the permits in Hawaii is somewhat not here  :wacko:

• Like 1

We'll never know, our guy who stalks the permits in Hawaii is somewhat not here  :wacko:

Native in Hāna would be nice. Tmo have a permit they don't plan to use out there out by the hotel. Sprint could get one, it may be part of their next buildout. That's something I'm watching. A cursory check of permits shows them not up to much right now, hopefully we will see a flurry of permits over the next year.

• Like 1

Native in Hāna would be nice. Tmo have a permit they don't plan to use out there out by the hotel. Sprint could get one, it may be part of their next buildout. That's something I'm watching. A cursory check of permits shows them not up to much right now, hopefully we will see a flurry of permits over the next year.

Being the tourist attraction that it is, I'm surprised they don't have even a single tower out there yet. 

Good for you man! I've been very vocal on here about switching from T-mobile to Sprint, but it makes no sense right now with Sprint only offering 3g services where my wife is located. Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

Good for you man! I've been very vocal on here about switching from T-mobile to Sprint, but it makes no sense right now with Sprint only offering 3g services where my wife is located. Good luck and enjoy!

Sprint should be good for you soon, infact by the time T-Mobile decided to purchase the 700A-Block from Cavalier in my area..

I'll be rolling around everywhere in my area with Sprint Spark.

And if T-Mobile wins the 600Mhz auction, i'm sure by 2019 when T-Mobile is Starting to roll it out. Sprint should have finished with their NGN plans way before 2019.

Sprint_Now_logo_RGB_300_DPI_1024x768.gif

• Like 2

Lets hope that sprint plans to take some 800Mhz if a company wants to unload some non-contiguous spectrum after they spend a boatload on the new 600Mhz spectrum.  Sprints new NV gear can already broadcast in those frequencies, and it should be both cheaper and faster to implement than a new band.  Although I think that Son could get creative with designated entities to bid so that sprint doesn't have to officially bid, I think its just as likely that he thinks there could be scraps up for grabs after the others bid like crazy to get the new spectrum, and that he might be able to pick up the pieces... either that or buy dish or US cellular once they buy the spectrum. 

Being the tourist attraction that it is, I'm surprised they don't have even a single tower out there yet. 

Sprint roams on Vzw out there who have coverage all the way out to hokuula/hamoa, or at least they used to but that's subject to the usual roaming limits. They could build out there, tmo got a permit, at&t have at least one tower (Vzw have one hy trevassa and one by the airport) and want another out by the dump but ran into opposition. Sprint could put at least one tower by trevassa. Would be nice to get some signal out there on sprint or tmo, hopefully sprint can do it as part of their new expansion.

• Like 1