S4GRU in need of funding...Please help!

S4GRU

Guys, we have discussed the IP.Board hosting issue many times, and Robert has offered his rational explanation.  IP.Board may not be the least expensive option, but we need a turnkey solution.  S4GRU is a labor of love for Robert and staff -- all of whom are unpaid and are professionals in other jobs/fields.  We do not have the time, energy, or desire to run and troubleshoot our own hosting server(s).

AJ

• Like 2

Guys, we have discussed the IP.Board hosting issue many times, and Robert has offered his rational explanation. IP.Board may not be the least expensive option, but we need a turnkey solution. S4GRU is a labor of love for Robert and staff -- all of whom are unpaid and are professionals in other jobs/fields. We do not have the time, energy, or desire to run and troubleshoot our own hosting server(s).

AJ

I think its a good option, despite cost, which is why I considered it for past forums I had with others. I would have tried convincing FEN to convert their website over to it, if I thought they wouldn't have complained about cost.

Guys, we have discussed the IP.Board hosting issue many times, and Robert has offered his rational explanation. IP.Board may not be the least expensive option, but we need a turnkey solution. S4GRU is a labor of love for Robert and staff -- all of whom are unpaid and are professionals in other jobs/fields. We do not have the time, energy, or desire to run and troubleshoot our own hosting server(s).

AJ

I managed an IPB forum with over 2M+ posts and a lot of concurrent users. I can attest to the cost of private hosting (2 dedicated servers at Soft Layer, 1 load balancer... And about $850/mo - ouch). I think managed hosting is the right move. I spent countless hours above moderation trying to optimize the DB, ensure uptime, and keep performance reasonable.

That said, we had Google AdSense ads displaying for guests and the first tier of registered users as a means to drive registrations. It helped to offset a LOT of the cost. May be something to consider moving forward?

(Unless Sprint wouldn't like the idea of an Indie forum that tracks their towers displaying ads and attempting to profit/cover operating costs.)

• Like 1

We cannot go to lower plans on IP Board. Plans are priced by number of members online on average. Typically our traffic warrants the 750 plan monthly. Which is $600 per month.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 2

We cannot go to lower plans on IP Board. Plans are priced by number of members online on average. Typically our traffic warrants the 750 plan monthly. Which is $600 per month.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Yikes!  Good to know we need $600/month to cover the cost.

I remember a long time fan site of the game series Myst went away due to heavy server costs that apparently were in the thousands of dollars range, called RivenGuild. Was disappointing to see it go. I don't remember what system they had for funding though, they did have a very dedicated membership.

Is there any type of 'plan B' in place should this continue to be an ongoing problem?

Robert is better equipped to speak to this than I am, but I will offer my thoughts on funding.

I do think that it will be an ongoing problem.  The Sprint network is working smoothly in so many places now that so many of our more casual observers have gotten on with their daily lives.  As such, we do not have as many new members, especially sponsors joining the rolls.

At some point, we may have to face the inevitable conclusion that S4GRU will not last forever.  Its usefulness and/or staff's desire to run it may reach an end.  Honestly, we are somewhat surprised and delighted that S4GRU is still rolling along over three years after its humble beginnings and that it has been so generously sponsor funded during that time.

Now, if or when S4GRU joins the past history of the Web, that remains to be seen.  Do not consider this a doomsday post.  I think that the site in some way, shape, or form will continue to exist as long as a significant number of members want S4GRU to exist.  To that end, I am changing up the way that I financially sponsor S4GRU.

I have made a habit of giving lump donations.  I may not stop that habit, but I am going to add to it by setting up just a $5 monthly recurring donation.  If most of our core members would do the same, then most of our fixed costs would be covered every month.  It is a small price to pay -- a lot less than just one movie ticket these days -- if S4GRU is one of your primary sources of education, socialization, and entertainment every month, every week, even every day.

AJ

• Like 16

Robert is better equipped to speak to this than I am, but I will offer my thoughts on funding.

I do think that it will be an ongoing problem.  The Sprint network is working smoothly in so many places now that so many of our more casual observers have gotten on with their daily lives.  As such, we do not have as many new members, especially sponsors joining the rolls.

At some point, we may have to face the inevitable conclusion that S4GRU will not last forever.  Its usefulness and/or staff's desire to run it may reach an end.  Honestly, we are somewhat surprised and delighted that S4GRU is still rolling along over three years after its humble beginnings and that it has been so generously sponsor funded during that time.

Now, if or when S4GRU joins the past history of the Web, that remains to be seen.  Do not consider this a doomsday post.  I think that the site in some way, shape, or form will continue to exist as long as a significant number of members want S4GRU to exist.  To that end, I am changing up the way that I financially sponsor S4GRU.

I have made a habit of giving lump donations.  I may not stop that habit, but I am going to add to it by setting up just a $5 monthly recurring donation.  If most of our core members would do the same, then most of our fixed costs would be covered every month.  It is a small price to pay -- a lot less than just one movie ticket these days -- if S4GRU is one of your primary sources of education, socialization, and entertainment every month, every week, even every day.

AJ

Very well said!

• Like 1

One thing I do want to clarify is that a $5/mo recurring donation is not a limit or some magic number -- unless our core group, which seems to number somewhere around 150 members, is all in.  If not all choose to participate, then we need more than $5/mo per core member to achieve our break even funding goals.  So, please donate what your wallet and conscience consider appropriate.

I hesitate to say this, as I try to keep my financial support of S4GRU a private matter, not a public matter.  But I have made hundreds of dollars of donations over the years, and I made another $100 lump donation in our time of need earlier this week.  I plan to continue those lump donations as needed or appropriate.  That is why I set a $5/mo recurring donation as suitable for me.

AJ

• Like 2

I hesitate to say this, as I try to keep my financial support of S4GRU a private matter, not a public matter.  But I have made hundreds of dollars of donations over the years, and I made another $100 lump donation in our time of need earlier this week.  I plan to continue those lump donations as needed or appropriate.  That is why I set a $5/mo recurring donation as suitable for me.

AJ

Thanks AJ for your clarification.  I think if people rose to the challenge and donated $5-$25 per month on recurring, we would do very well to cover our expenses.  Since most will not rise up and give $5 per month, it would be very appreciated for those who are willing to donate a greater amount recurring.  We have 2 or 3 members who do recurring donations of $20+ per month.

The bottom line is we will take whatever you guys are willing to give.  One time lump sum donations are good.  We have been good stewards and stretch those out for months and months.  But monthly recurring donations are great as they make the revenue stream steady and increase the chances of keeping S4GRU more sustainable.

So whatever you guys are willing to give, occasional lump sums, small or moderate monthly donations, it all works out.  Thanks to you all for keeping S4GRU viable for four years.  It's been unbelievable and we are getting excited again with the new Masa+Marcelo Sprint Next Generation Network about to get rolling.

Exciting times are here again!  And S4GRU will be there with you all, discovering info and sharing it with our members.  Thanks!

Robert

• Like 10

Thanks AJ for your clarification.  I think if people rose to the challenge and donated $5-$25 per month on recurring, we would do very well to cover our expenses.  Since most will not rise up and give $5 per month, it would be very appreciated for those who are willing to donate a greater amount recurring.  We have 2 or 3 members who do recurring donations of $20+ per month.

The bottom line is we will take whatever you guys are willing to give.  One time lump sum donations are good.  We have been good stewards and stretch those out for months and months.  But monthly recurring donations are great as they make the revenue stream steady and increase the chances of keeping S4GRU more sustainable.

So whatever you guys are willing to give, occasional lump sums, small or moderate monthly donations, it all works out.  Thanks to you all for keeping S4GRU viable for four years.  It's been unbelievable and we are getting excited again with the new Masa+Marcelo Sprint Next Generation Network about to get rolling.

Exciting times are here again!  And S4GRU will be there with you all, discovering info and sharing it with our members.  Thanks!

Robert

Ill do what I can!! I am excited to see what will happen next and make the other 3 get blown by a Sprint #1 network!!!!

Ill do what I can!! I am excited to see what will happen next and make the other 3 get blown by a Sprint #1 network!!!!

Uh, I really do not wish to see VZW, AT&T, and T-Mobile all "get blown by" Sprint.

;)

AJ

• Like 7

I'll try to give a bit this weekend. I'm excited about the confirmation of NGN and I hope this site can remain a great place to talk network as Sprint begins a huge new network project!

• Like 1

Yay! My T-Mobile connection to S4GRU is back working, though I'll be on Sprint tomorrow anyways hopefully.

Also, I was thinking Sprint ought to donate to the site, considering how much business this site certainly has given them.

Also, I was thinking Sprint ought to donate to the site, considering how much business this site certainly has given them.

We would gladly accept their donation.  But they have not given us money to date.  Unless they are doing it covertly through members in small amounts.   :ninja:

• Like 3