Sprint's Q1 Earnings Report (May 5th, 2015)

Ascertion

Capex spend cannot out pace performance from vendors ability to supply nor installers ability to install. Only so much can be done. Also, after a certain point you may be able to push more, but the cost may not be worth it. Cost benefit analysis.

There's so much more at play and the capex burn amount is much more dynamic than you realize. It is easy to believe spend more money equals more production faster. But sometimes that cannot be done for other reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Sprint expedite more work this year. But this NGN plan has been a part of the internal discussion and equation since Marcelo took over. They don't want to waste money on any effort that will be duplicated by NGN, unless it has to. Sprint could waste a lot of money it can't spare. Every dollar counts.

These decisions are being made by Marcelo and Masa, after being vetted by John Saw. This is not the old Sprint. I feel pretty comfortable that these decisions are as aggressive as makes sense. These guys are not milk toast and do not easily accept no for an answer.

Also, Sprint is expanding. You know that. But not everywhere and not all at once. Tmo is doing the same thing with their expansion. Very targeted.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

i've seen this NGN (next gen network) term mentioned a few times and i feel like maybe i missed a post or something about it. Is this something different than NV 2.0? or just a new name for NV 2.0? if its something different what does it entail?

All of these different names for network upgrades get confusing. Sprint ought to merge it all into NV, and just continue on with parts, like NV3, 4, etc. I realize there is a NV2.0, but it could get reshuffled along with their other upgrades in numbering them all under NV, so it is more clear, kinda like a network upgrade version of T-Mobile's Uncarrier.

• Like 2

i've seen this NGN (next gen network) term mentioned a few times and i feel like maybe i missed a post or something about it. Is this something different than NV 2.0? or just a new name for NV 2.0? if its something different what does it entail?

It's just Sprint's marketing spin on the network densification and small cell plan. Network Vision is tainted because of all the failures that occurred under it.

• Like 1

It's just Sprint's marketing spin on the network densification and small cell plan. Network Vision is tainted because of all the failures that occurred under it.

What failures occurred with it? I thought it was successful, at least it seems so from reading around here.

What failures occurred with it? I thought it was successful, at least it seems so from reading around here.

The only issue I can recall was eCSFB and people whining about not having simultaneous voice and data when they bought new tri-band devices.  

Network Vision was technically merely the rip and replace of equipment ie "nv done" did not necessarily mean "backhaul in place and lte good to go"

In spring 2014 sprint sent mass texts to markets where the network was "nv done" but speeds were still unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But son would/could, supposedly, pump more money into sprint by buying more sprint issued equity; DT won't do that.

Given the closure of the cali softb offices, I think son pumping more money is not likely.

Furthermore, even if other 3 want to buy 2.5ghz Tdd, they're not stupid enough to do so before the 600 auction to strengthen sprint.

I think that both parent companies do not want to reward inefficiencies by just funding their subsidiaries blindly. But I think that both will have to pitch in some money for the 600MHz auction. They both have to develop their networks to compete with the big two and it is not cheap. I am pretty sure that by the summer of 2015, they will both have debts in the neighborhood of $40B excluding the auction. Verizon has not really started competing on price yet and I am waiting for them to start within 3 months. 

I think that both parent companies do not want to reward inefficiencies by just funding their subsidiaries blindly. But I think that both will have to pitch in some money for the 600MHz auction. They both have to develop their networks to compete with the big two and it is not cheap. I am pretty sure that by the summer of 2015, they will both have debts in the neighborhood of $40B excluding the auction. Verizon has not really started competing on price yet and I am waiting for them to start within 3 months.

I still can't believe the DT will contribute in any way.

Simultaneous voice and data limitations are not caused by Sprint Network Vision failures. The network can do both. It is a limitation on the device end.

Simulateneous Voice and Data on a CDMA/LTE network causes the devices to be more expensive requiring additional antennas and signal paths. Sprint was paying for it in early Uniband devices, but the cost and complexity was going to be too extreme in Triband devices. So they went single path like Tmo and AT&T.

Tmo and AT&T also cannot do LTE simultaneous voice and data (without VoLTE) either because they are single path. But they can fall back to WCDMA to do that. So Sprint isn't unique in the fact that it cannot do simultaneous voice and data on LTE. They just have no fallback. So Sprint will not be doing simultaneous voice and data on their devices any longer until they can deploy VoLTE.

Verizon is still paying the bucks to do multipath designs with their device OEM's until they can have a ubiquitous VoLTE network established. Then they will likely switch their new devices to single path, which will only produce simultaneous voice and data in VoLTE only.

Verizon has the scale to keep OEM's interested in making a unique one off product for them, and enough of these units sold to keep the price increases lower for them. Sprint would likely pay more than Verizon for multipath for each device, and Sprint would not be in a good spot to keep the device OEM's making their unique multipath devices after Verizon jumps out and goes to full VoLTE implementation.

Sprint saw the writing on the wall early. Between their limited finances and scale, they had to go to single path when they did. And simultaneous voice and data on Sprint Triband phones will not exist until VoLTE goes live in a meaningful way.

• Like 4

Verizon is still paying the bucks to do multipath designs with their device OEM's until they can have a ubiquitous VoLTE network established. Then they will likely switch their new devices to single path, which will only produce simultaneous voice and data in VoLTE only.

Most new VZW devices these days seem to be single RF path with e/CSFB.  They explicitly no longer have hardware support for SVLTE nor for SVDO.  The VZW variant Samsung Galaxy S6, for example, falls into this category.  VZW now relies upon VoLTE for simultaneous voice and data.  But many users turn off VoLTE, are even instructed to turn of VoLTE -- because the LTE coverage is just not sufficiently reliable.

That puts VZW in the same boat as Sprint, yet I do not hear of VZW users complaining about the lack/loss of simultaneous voice and data.  And that is probably because those who require or even know about simultaneous voice and data are such edge cases, though they whine to high heaven and make simultaneous voice and data out to be something that everyone needs.

AJ

• Like 10

I didn't realize VZW had made that switch now. Guess I should be paying more attention given what I do. But I guess it bolsters my point, all things considered.

I didn't realize VZW had made that switch now. Guess I should be paying more attention given what I do. But I guess it bolsters my point, all things considered.

The Note 4 was the last flagship device to have the capability on VZW.

Most new VZW devices these days seem to be single RF path with e/CSFB. They explicitly no longer have hardware support for SVLTE nor for SVDO. The VZW variant Samsung Galaxy S6, for example, falls into this category. VZW now relies upon VoLTE for simultaneous voice and data. But many users turn off VoLTE, are even instructed to turn of VoLTE -- because the LTE coverage is just not sufficiently reliable.

That puts VZW in the same boat as Sprint, yet I do not hear of VZW users complaining about the lack/loss of simultaneous voice and data. And that is probably because those who require or even know about simultaneous voice and data are such edge cases, though they whine to high heaven and make simultaneous voice and data out to be something that everyone needs.

AJ

My roommate complained loudly, so VZW switched out his Nexus 6 for a Note 4 (A poor deal for him, IMO, but it was his choice since he was in the first week of his contract). The Droid Turbo is one of the best phones on the market, covered in negative reviews because of its lack of svlte. So they're out there complaining. Does Verizon care? No, it's not going to change and people will adjust.
  • Like 1

My roommate complained loudly, so VZW switched out his Nexus 6 for a Note 4 (A poor deal for him, IMO, but it was his choice since he was in the first week of his contract). The Droid Turbo is one of the best phones on the market, covered in negative reviews because of its lack of svlte. So they're out there complaining. Does Verizon care? No, it's not going to change and people will adjust.

''Covered in negative reviews because of its lack of svlte''

So people DO complain about the lack of simultaneous voice and data.... Interesting.

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are more willing to review when something is really bad as opposed to when it's good. If you look at ratings of apps and devices, there are a lot more 1 star rating than 2 star ratings. Many times it's almost as many as there are 3 star ratings. People love to complain.

• Like 5

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are more willing to review when something is really bad as opposed to when it's good. If you look at ratings of apps and devices, there are a lot more 1 star rating than 2 star ratings. Many times it's almost as many as there are 3 star ratings. People love to complain.

Exactly.  People don't call Bill Gates to tell him their Windows PC worked all day.  They call him to get him to fix their problems. Haha

• Like 2

I like SVlte.I like to be able to talk on the phone and get updated map and traffic information while i'm driving 

Practically a must in corporate America

Now that VZW does not have SVLTE on its new handsets, I guess it is losing its millions of corporate accounts.  What a bombshell.

;)

AJ

• Like 6

But they have volte.

Yeah, and it is really reliable.  That is why users get instructed to turn it off.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I like SVlte.I like to be able to talk on the phone and get updated map and traffic information while i'm driving 

Practically a must in corporate America

Here is the end all, be all, guys.  You and your needs are not as important as you think they are.  Simultaneous voice and data may be nice, but that has not been a compelling factor in consumer choice.  Otherwise, AT&T and its simultaneous voice and data TV ads years ago would have severely undercut VZW, Sprint, and maybe even T-Mobile.  That did not happen.

So, quit your wishing and complaining.  Or go elsewhere.  Okay?

AJ

• Like 2

You quoted me twice.

You are way too sensitive.

Relax.

Nope.  I am telling you how it is -- and how it is going to be.

Take it or leave it.

AJ

• Like 2