Sprint's Q1 Earnings Report (May 5th, 2015)

Ascertion

Marcelo: "It's going to be a MASSIVE densifcation of our network." "We are right now in the final stages, where we're selecting vendors...Balancing Macro/Pico Cells (counts)" 

• Like 4

Connections. Includes m2m, wholesale, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would still put sprint at 3rd overall. I was under the assumption this was supposedly the quarter sprint fell to 4th, and lost subscribers, not gained them
  • Like 6

Would still put sprint at 3rd overall. I was under the assumption this was supposedly the quarter sprint fell to 4th, and lost subscribers, not gained them

They're still losing phone customers.  Basically their MVNOs and tablet sales are keeping them growing.  It was good to see their churn % fall below 2.  Might mean the worst of the phone losses might be behind them.  But if they do want to hold onto #3 they will need to get that turned positive. 

Sprint reports a loss for Q4 2014 struggles to amid competition and departing customers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-reports-loss-continues-struggle-departing-customers

Yeah they made some very stupid decisions one of them over paying to get the Iphone which has taken Softbank to get that money back. The only thing they should be doing it putting up new towers like crazy and updating their current network but overall just improve their network coverage.  Either way at this point it might be good for them to merge with T-Mobile and work with Google more on their new service as well. 

I'm with Claure, I don't really care about what place they're in as long as everything shows improvement. And everything is improving, so yey.

#GettingBetterEveryday

• Like 1

They're still losing phone customers.  Basically their MVNOs and tablet sales are keeping them growing.  It was good to see their churn % fall below 2.  Might mean the worst of the phone losses might be behind them.  But if they do want to hold onto #3 they will need to get that turned positive. 

Unless I read the newsroom report wrong I see total net postpaid additions 211,000 with 41,000 loss for total of 170,000 (postpaid) additions.

That's pretty good...actually damn good for what Sprint has gone through.

• Like 1

Sprint reports a loss for Q4 2014 struggles to amid competition and departing customers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-reports-loss-continues-struggle-departing-customers

Yeah they made some very stupid decisions one of them over paying to get the Iphone which has taken Softbank to get that money back. The only thing they should be doing it putting up new towers like crazy and updating their current network but overall just improve their network coverage. Either way at this point it might be good for them to merge with T-Mobile and work with Google more on their new service as well.

They made a commitment to buy certain amount of iPhones. They didn't overpay per unit.

Of course it'd be good to reduce competition for sprint TMO. And bad for consumers. Bye unlimited.

Anyway by the time a new fcc is seated to consider the merger in mid 2017, TMO and sprint will likely have made "too much" progress to argue they NEEED a merger.

Unless I read the newsroom report wrong I see total net postpaid additions 211,000 with 41,000 loss for total of 170,000 (postpaid) additions.

The way his post is worded, he is talking about post-paid phone customers. The net adds includes tablets pumping things up (Sprint isn't the only carrier doing this). The bullet immediately below is

• Postpaid phone losses of 201,000 improved sequentially for the fourth consecutive quarter and improved by nearly 500,000 year-over-year

Still signs of things potentially turning around...

They lost postpaid phones 210k

• Like 1

Sprint adds 1.2 million net additions to its platform for fiscal Q4, its highest total in three years

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-adds-1.2-million-net-additions-to-its-platform-for-fiscal-Q4-its-highest-total-in-three-years_id68989

If they can keep making some network improvements that will hopefully keep things going in the right direction.. :)

• Like 1

They made a commitment to buy certain amount of iPhones. They didn't overpay per unit.

Of course it'd be good to reduce competition for sprint TMO. And bad for consumers. Bye unlimited.

Anyway by the time a new fcc is seated to consider the merger in mid 2017, TMO and sprint will likely have made "too much" progress to argue they NEEED a merger.

Not unless they are still losing money. Both carrier haven't made a year end profit in years. This is the strongest argument for a merger. In a the U.S. vzw and ATT make rather large profits and sprint and T-Mobile lose money which is not a situation that argues well for four carriers.

That was the net postpaid amount.  All of those were tablet additions.  They lost 201,000 phone customers.  That's a continued improvement from last year and earlier quarters.  

That was the net postpaid amount.  All of those were tablet additions.  They lost 201,000 phone customers.  That's a continued improvement from last year and earlier quarters.  

it's important to keep this all in context too, they have over 50 million customers, 200k losses accounts for 0.4% or less of their total customers..they're not hemmoraging customers like they were, and they're slowing and offsetting losses. postpaid adds will come with network improvements, they have so far.

• Like 4

Not unless they are still losing money. Both carrier haven't made a year end profit in years. This is the strongest argument for a merger. In a the U.S. vzw and ATT make rather large profits and sprint and T-Mobile lose money which is not a situation that argues well for four carriers.

TMO (and Sprint?) was losing money in 2011 when FCC, DOJ said NO

TMO and Sprint were losing money in 2014 when FCC, DOJ said NO

Look at DT capital markets 2015. Legere said TMO is way ahead of his team's expectations back in 2012.

it's important to keep this all in context too, they have over 50 million customers, 200k losses accounts for 0.4% or less of their total customers..they're not hemmoraging customers like they were, and they're slowing and offsetting losses. postpaid adds will come with network improvements, they have so far.

The only reason it matters is that those phone customers are the highest revenue customers.  They also tend to be stick around the longest because you have them on phone leases or Easy Pay.  But the good thing is the trend-line is going in a positive direction.  Slowly, but surely.  

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed there was no 2.5 Ghz news; that can only mean not much progress was made last 3 months.

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed there was no 2.5 Ghz news; that can only mean not much progress was made last 3 months.

Most 2.5 deployment has shifted to priority markets. That won't add more pops of coverage, but it will improve network quality in those markets.
  • Like 2

TMO (and Sprint?) was losing money in 2011 when FCC, DOJ said NO

TMO and Sprint were losing money in 2014 when FCC, DOJ said NO

Right. But those where the decision of the ideological bent of the current FCC. In 2017 we are likely to have a different ideology governing the FCC, one that might be more inclined to listen to what the market seems to be saying. It does no good to have four national carriers unless they are all profitable, otherwise we end up with three or less anyway and have to go through bankruptcy rather than a merger to get there.