Sprint's Q1 Earnings Report (May 5th, 2015)

Ascertion

Both T-Mobile's and Sprint's financial condition is not rosy. Neither is laden with cash and both are laden with debt.

But son would/could, supposedly, pump more money into sprint by buying more sprint issued equity; DT won't do that.

Given the closure of the cali softb offices, I think son pumping more money is not likely.

Furthermore, even if other 3 want to buy 2.5ghz Tdd, they're not stupid enough to do so before the 600 auction to strengthen sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the closure of the cali softb offices, I think son pumping more money is not likely.

Yeah shutting down an outpost office in California clearly means Masa is throwing in the towel... :wall:

• Like 4

Yeah shutting down an outpost office in California clearly means Masa is throwing in the towel... :wall:

He opened it because he thought he was compete in a cozy 3 carrier environment.

He closed it because?

He opened it because he thought he was compete in a cozy 3 carrier environment.

He closed it because?

Because he didn't need it. Just because he closed down an office building doesn't mean he's selling Sprint. You really need to get past this idea that you have.

-Anthony

• Like 6

Because he didn't need it. Just because he closed down an office building doesn't mean he's selling Sprint. You really need to get past this idea that you have.

-Anthony

Sprint (NYSE: S) parent SoftBank plans to clear out most of the staff of its Silicon Valley offices, according to a Reuters report, following SoftBank's aborted effort to merge Sprint with T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS).

The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, said that the downsizing of the office in San Carlos, Calif., reflects a decision within SoftBank that the company will not be trying to forge a deal with T-Mobile anytime soon. SoftBank opened the office in September 2013, shortly after it closed its deal to acquire a controlling stake in Sprint.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-softbank-wind-down-silicon-valley-offices-following-collapse-t-mobil/2014-12-12

So how do you go from that to Son isn't willing to pump money into Sprint if they need it? That is still a huge logical leap with nothing to support it in your underlined portion.

Because he loves to troll here, every.single.day

I roll my eyes and skip past his posts most times as they rarely add any value to the thread.

• Like 5

Sprint (NYSE: S) parent SoftBank plans to clear out most of the staff of its Silicon Valley offices, according to a Reuters report, following SoftBank's aborted effort to merge Sprint with T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS).

The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, said that the downsizing of the office in San Carlos, Calif., reflects a decision within SoftBank that the company will not be trying to forge a deal with T-Mobile anytime soon. SoftBank opened the office in September 2013, shortly after it closed its deal to acquire a controlling stake in Sprint.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-softbank-wind-down-silicon-valley-offices-following-collapse-t-mobil/2014-12-12

Yeah, you've posted that quote several times. Him closing an office building because the merger attempt failed doesn't mean he's looking to sell.

1+1=2, not 3

-Anthony

• Like 4

Yeah, you've posted that quote several times. Him closing an office building because the merger attempt failed doesn't mean he's looking to sell.

1+1=2, not 3

-Anthony

This is from that same Fierce article:

The Reuters report said SoftBank is now moving "the bulk" of its workers out of the California office and is sending development engineers to Sprint's headquarters.

Seems like if Son were throwing in the proverbial towel on Sprint, he would've pulled all of his people back to Japan instead of sending them to Kansas.

• Like 9

Masa lost a billion a year for 4 years at one point after purchasing Vodaphone, or whichever it was. He is not running scared, or going to bail out anywhere. They closed offices because it was redundant with the Tmobile merger dropped. Masa is no longer as involved as he was when first purchasing sprint because he now has someone who is taking an entirely new approach to everything, and is also a self made billionaire, as CEO of Sprint. Hesse is gone. Old management bs is gone. 

Stop your nonsense Max. Fact of the matter is, no body knows if he will pump in money if they need it but from past history, Masa doesn't like to just give up nor lose money. 

• Like 5

So how do you go from that to Son isn't willing to pump money into Sprint if they need it? That is still a huge logical leap with nothing to support it in your underlined portion.

It shows softening of his commitment at very least unless you can give a good reason why he'd close the office so soon.

Do you agree that it was because of the TMO merger failure?

We shall see for the 600 auction.

I would agree that it would *seem* like it was closed due to the tmo merger failure, however that in no way indicates a softening of commitment.

Also, unless you can quote something from sprint or masa, all we have is conjecture and opinion.

Even if Masa won't throw in more money, does not mean that sprint will fail or that it won't continue to improve.

• Like 3

I would agree that it would *seem* like it was closed due to the tmo merger failure, however that in no way indicates a softening of commitment.

Also, unless you can quote something from sprint or masa, all we have is conjecture and opinion.

Even if Masa won't throw in more money, does not mean that sprint will fail or that it won't continue to improve.

Exactly. And we don't even know when the auction, or if, its happening. 

• Like 1

Closing of the CA Office was a year ago and only indicative of the failure to purchase Tmo. That's all it indicates. Afterward, Masa has made moves and made statements regarding a doubling down on Sprint only and hired Marcelo. Nothing indicative of surrender.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sprint (NYSE: S) parent SoftBank plans to clear out most of the staff of its Silicon Valley offices, according to a Reuters report, following SoftBank's aborted effort to merge Sprint with T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS).

The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, said that the downsizing of the office in San Carlos, Calif., reflects a decision within SoftBank that the company will not be trying to forge a deal with T-Mobile anytime soon. SoftBank opened the office in September 2013, shortly after it closed its deal to acquire a controlling stake in Sprint.

Uh, if they're closing down the office, which we already know they are, of course they're going to lay off the people that were going to work in that office.  

Closing of the CA Office was a year ago and only indicative of the failure to purchase Tmo. That's all it indicates. Afterward, Masa has made moves and made statements regarding a doubling down on Sprint only and hired Marcelo. Nothing indicative of surrender.

The article is dated dec 2014.

Question is why would the loss of TMO cause him to shutdown office?

TMO would've brought

Money - from synergies of combining two companies

More money - from removing a competitor and gaining market power to be able to not offer unlimited data anymore.

Spectrum - pcs, AWS

But none of these is revolutionary

If son had bought TMO first and been denied spribt's 2.5ghz then yeah it'd make sense to close down an innovation office.

T

Question is why would the loss of TMO cause him to shutdown office?

Because it was "The Merger Office." It would take years to plan and integrate Tmo and Sprint, even after approval. Involving thousands of people. He not only was working on merger approvals, but technical planning involved. Site by site analysis, network integration, marketing, product development. And not only was he thinking how to integrate Tmo and Sprint together, but likely a big integration with Softbank in many ways too.

It was going to be a monumental undertaking in every way. It was going to be the largest wireless merger ever, if approved. It was going to take a big facility. And I wouldn't be surprised if Masa even had the plan to even eventually make it the future combined Tmo/Sprint HQ.

But all that was washed away. And it probably took some time and humble pie for Masa to let that all sink in. And you only offer up pure conjecture that no one is buying. Masa's explanation makes sense, is plausible and the most simple explanation and in context works.

Yours is just a dead end conspiracy theory. Further bolstered by your own desire to even want it to be true. In fact, you are letting the fact that you want it to be true so much that you will overlook all other evidence that does not support your theory.

• Like 13

Because it was "The Merger Office." It would take years to plan and integrate Tmo and Sprint, even after approval. Involving thousands of people. He not only was working on merger approvals, but technical planning involved. Site by site analysis, network integration, marketing, product development. And not only was he thinking how to integrate Tmo and Sprint together, but likely a big integration with Softbank in many ways too.

It was going to be a monumental undertaking in every way. It was going to be the largest wireless merger ever, if approved. It was going to take a big facility. And I wouldn't be surprised if Masa even had the plan to even eventually make it the future combined Tmo/Sprint HQ.

But all that was washed away. And it probably took some time and humble pie for Masa to let that all sink in. And you only offer up pure conjecture that no one is buying. Masa's explanation makes sense, is plausible and the most simple explanation and in context works.

Yours is just a dead end conspiracy theory. Further bolstered by your own desire to even want it to be true. In fact, you are letting the fact that you want it to be true so much that you will overlook all other evidence that does not support your theory.

Merger office makes sense.

What other evidence?

I don't get why Sprint doesn't continue to expand 2.5ghz coverage. Wouldn't more capex help with that like with hiring more people? Or poaching them away from other companies?

Yes Sprint is densifying 2.5 instead of expanding but why not do both? Lack of people? Then increase capex to hire more.

Merger office makes sense.

What other evidence?

I don't get why Sprint doesn't continue to expand 2.5ghz coverage. Wouldn't more capex help with that like with hiring more people? Or poaching them away from other companies?

Yes Sprint is densifying 2.5 instead of expanding but why not do both? Lack of people? Then increase capex to hire more.

Capex spend cannot out pace performance from vendors ability to supply nor installers ability to install. Only so much can be done. Also, after a certain point you may be able to push more, but the cost may not be worth it. Cost benefit analysis.

There's so much more at play and the capex burn amount is much more dynamic than you realize. It is easy to believe spend more money equals more production faster. But sometimes that cannot be done for other reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Sprint expedite more work this year. But this NGN plan has been a part of the internal discussion and equation since Marcelo took over. They don't want to waste money on any effort that will be duplicated by NGN, unless it has to. Sprint could waste a lot of money it can't spare. Every dollar counts.

These decisions are being made by Marcelo and Masa, after being vetted by John Saw. This is not the old Sprint. I feel pretty comfortable that these decisions are as aggressive as makes sense. These guys are not milk toast and do not easily accept no for an answer.

Also, Sprint is expanding. You know that. But not everywhere and not all at once. Tmo is doing the same thing with their expansion. Very targeted.

• Like 7

Capex spend cannot out pace performance from vendors ability to supply nor installers ability to install. Only so much can be done. Also, after a certain point you may be able to push more, but the cost may not be worth it. Cost benefit analysis.

There's so much more at play and the capex burn amount is much more dynamic than you realize. It is easy to believe spend more money equals more production faster. But sometimes that cannot be done for other reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Sprint expedite more work this year. But this NGN plan has been a part of the internal discussion and equation since Marcelo took over. They don't want to waste money on any effort that will be duplicated by NGN, unless it has to. Sprint could waste a lot of money it can't spare. Every dollar counts.

These decisions are being made by Marcelo and Masa, after being vetted by John Saw. This is not the old Sprint. I feel pretty comfortable that these decisions are as aggressive as makes sense. These guys are not milk toast and do not easily accept no for an answer.

Also, Sprint is expanding. You know that. But not everywhere and not all at once. Tmo is doing the same thing with their expansion. Very targeted.

I guess the decrease in churn validates their strategy.

• Like 9

Excellent way to look at it.

• Like 1

Now that's an intelligent and mature discussion. More of that is needed in this world.

PS: the term 'troll' is overused

Excellent way to look at it.

• Like 3

I agree that concentrating on improving markets you already are in, improving the user experience for the customers you already have and could gain from a better network in the area people already know other's experience/improvement of within, is a better idea than expanding into markets you are not already in, while trying to gain new customers who have very little idea about you and no means of knowing you're improving, when all they know is from people online who say your network sucks elsewhere. That is Sprint's problem and why they need to improve where they are first, before deciding to expand, so that people stop saying they suck and really allow them the chance to grow there they are, then later expand when people can get the information from their only source, which then instead of saying Sprint sucks, it'll be Sprint is Awesome!, then those people looking to that will be willing to try Sprint in those new markets.

In the meantime, Sprint could fix its rate plans and better inform their employees as to which plans are available and which plans are not available, along with some stronger corporate control over the corporate stores so they don't lose customers to faulty information and unhelpful managers who'd rather keep their quotas looking good, than helping customers despite corporate's insistence they do so.