T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

According to Apple, the size limit is 100MB.

I mean, I know it SAYS that, but it my experience, I've been able to send 10 minute long 1080p60fps videos over iMessage. No way they were only 100 MB.

-Anthony

• Like 2

Verizon is making strides towards supporting RCS. Full support is on their roadmap.

"VoLTE and RCS Video Calling are being dubbed as “Advanced Calling 1.0″. The company plans to roll out other RCS features like presence notification, instant messaging, and file transfers in the future. Unfortunately, despite the IP voice interconnection with T-Mobile made earlier this year, we were told that VoLTE HD Voice calls only work among Verizon Wireless customers for now." - http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/188756-verizons-volte-rollout-will-kill-off-cdma-and-allow-unlocked-lte-phones-too

All the talk in the media lately of Verizon's advanced social media content and technology likely will not be very successful without some major rate changes, as people unlikely will use much of this if they are going to be charged s lot for it. This is one of the ways T-Mobile has the advantage, which I'll admit to, despite my opinions of John Legere and more specifically, the inability to purchase more high speed data beyond 20 gb per line.

I read last week that Verizon sometime soon is going to make those major rate changes, though I believe it'll be more for the benefit of moderate to heavy data users. A bit later tonight, I'll post my estimations of what I think those rates might be.

Alright, I have a few extra minutes to post, so I'll write this now, rather than later.

I think Verizon might lower the monthly Edge Line add on fee from $15 down to $10. Same with the overages.

The monthly rates for data might be :

$50 for 1gb

$60 for 3gb

$70 for 5gb

$80 for 10gb

$90 for 15gb

$100 for 20gb

$150 for 30gb

Instead of continuing writing a long list of rates at higher data allotments, my guess at this is the rates might be equivalent to $5 per 1gb within the given allotment paid for.

RCS hasn't caught fire before T-Mobile implemented it. I fail to see where their implementation changes anything. Let's see what happens when Verizon and AT&T add it to their phones - Verizon sort of had it first in that their video calling solution was an RCS implementation. MetroPCS had Joyn as well along with a lot of the Eurocarriers and that didn't exactly set the world on fire.

When it's truly cross carrier and cross platform then we'll see if it can live up to the hype. Otherwise, it's the same ole story, the same ole song and dance.

Then again one could argue T-Mobile is the Eurocarrier of the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With how terrible Sprint is with SMS (VZW too....CDMA in general) I'm surprised there aren't more of you who would want RCS implemented. That would take out the 160 character limit for one and I would imagine it would cut down on delays in receiving texts. Nothing would bug me more than receiving a long message, or one with an emoji in it causing the message to break up and come in out of order. I would welcome it and would be a reason for me to come back to Sprint.

• Like 1

With how terrible Sprint is with SMS (VZW too....CDMA in general)

This confuses me.  Report after report show that Sprint has either the 1st or 2nd in text time.

I don't use sms as I use imessage mostly however, the items i have used have worked well.

• Like 4

Once again, its not that we don't want it. It's that we know it'll be a while before it becomes standard in the U.S. We're not going to get excited for something that we can already experience through other apps and that is a long way off.

• Like 1

This confuses me.  Report after report show that Sprint has either the 1st or 2nd in text time.

I don't use sms as I use imessage mostly however, the items i have used have worked well.

Yeah yeah, they must've not come to the DC market or didn't send a message over 160 characters because they wouldn't have won in that category. There have been too many times I've texted a family member on Sprint and they get it late. That was the reason I left and would come back if they did something like this.

• Like 1

I noticed something very strange with T-Mobile yesterday. I was playing with the band selection on a Lumia 640, and when I locked it into B4 WCDMA it actually connected to it and I was able to even make a call. The channel was 1987 and everything. Very strange considering that AWS WCDMA was "shut off" and LTE is now 15x15 (including this tower that I was connected to on AWS WCDMA). This couldn't be possible cuz they only have 30 MHz of AWS here unless they were both broadcasting at once, which I would think would cause interference?...

Yeah yeah, they must've not come to the DC market or didn't send a message over 160 characters because they wouldn't have won in that category. There have been too many times I've texted a family member on Sprint and they get it late. That was the reason I left and would come back if they did something like this.

I'm not sure if you completely understand how SMS works...

-Anthony

• Like 3

I'm not sure if you conpletely understand how SMS works...

-Anthony

I'm pretty sure I know when I text someone it shouldn't take 20 minutes for it to be received...but I know i don't completely* understand how it works

The problem is, most people use third party apps.  

So hopefully third party apps that support receiving messages via sms will support RCS messages so both ends can benefit.

Otherwise this is only going to benefit RCS to RCS stock messaging apps, which will take a LONG time to get supported.  Then I wonder how you will easily know if you are texting someone that supports RCS or if you are just sending a basic SMS message.  Maybe similar to how Hangouts lets you know if it is a SMS or Hangouts message?

• Like 2

With how terrible Sprint is with SMS (VZW too....CDMA in general) I'm surprised there aren't more of you who would want RCS implemented. That would take out the 160 character limit for one and I would imagine it would cut down on delays in receiving texts. Nothing would bug me more than receiving a long message, or one with an emoji in it causing the message to break up and come in out of order. I would welcome it and would be a reason for me to come back to Sprint.

You should checkout the T-mobile section of reddit with all the complaints about not receiving sms/mms. It's been several months and there's new posts that come up daily.

• Like 5

You should checkout the T-mobile section of reddit with all the complaints about not receiving sms/mms. It's been several months and there's new posts that come up daily.

VZW has had texts lost for as long as I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

With how terrible Sprint is with SMS (VZW too....CDMA in general) 

CDMA in general? Not particularly. AT&T's W-CDMA is often the favorite of many after their better LTE areas or sometimes spotty/lacking rural LTE. This often applies to T-Mobile as well.

CDMA in general? Not particularly. AT&T's W-CDMA is often the favorite of many after their better LTE areas or sometimes spotty/lacking rural LTE. This often applies to T-Mobile as well.

my run in with CDMA networks hasn't been great. W-CDMA is a whole different story and performs much better with texts for me
  • Like 1

That is the problem of using individual experiences in one market (and often a specific subset of places one tends to frequent in a market) to extrapolate generalities about the state of a carrier's network elsewhere.

• Like 1