T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Because it helps b12's own capacity by giving it the power of b4. I have yet to see sprints b26 outperform tmobile b12 because of this. Tmobile b12 has much better SNR values and they dont fluctuate as bad as sprints b26. In my experience across a few cities in florida at least including my own tmobile band 12 mops the floor with sprint band 26 in reliability.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I find band 12 to perform a bit worse than B26 here in NYC in terms of performance, but it does cover a bit more but in exchange for unusable data. Its a horrible drop in speed from B41 to B26 and B4 to B12 is no different.  (5x5 just does not cut it in most cases)

This video is a perfect example... 3am, so I would hate to see 3pm speeds. 

That's another reason why it doesn't make sense for Sprint to extend the coverage of B26, it just wont be very usable beyond a certain signal, especially in more dense areas. 

I find band 12 to perform a bit worse than B26 here in NYC in terms of performance, but it does cover a bit more but in exchange for unusable data. Its a horrible drop in speed from B41 to B26 and B4 to B12 is no different. (5x5 just does not cut it in most cases)

This video is a perfect example... 3am, so I would hate to see 3pm speeds.

That's another reason why it doesn't make sense for Sprint to extend the coverage of B26, it just wont be very usable beyond a certain signal, especially in more dense areas.

Is there no aggregation b12 in detroit? Florida is loaded with it. Basically my point is like you said 5x5 is going to perform horrible either way you slice it at edge of cell so you might as well try and make it a little better by adding come CA capacity to the band. If your on edge of cell then a small cell or macro is likely needed away.

I don't agree. Why waste your lowband's capacity on people who are in range of your midband/highband? It doesn't really make sense to me. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure T-Mobile's b12 is not 4x2, just regular old 2x2.

Catering to the masses. They get more mileage out of their capacity by allowing high SNR/RSRQ UE use the network. 64QAM pushes more bits in the same resource blocks.

So if you still have excess resource blocks to consume, why not let it feed the masses?

If a UE needs voice in a low RSRP environment, they shouldn't have any issues, since their voice traffic will be carried over QCI=1, being low bitrate, high priority. Still get your coverage benefits for voice coverage, and you get 25% more data capacity in the LTE RAN.

Would you rather serve 200 customers close to the cell and 5 customers on cell edge adequately, or would you rather serve 100 customers close to the cell and 20 customers further from the cell?

My numbers are exaggeratory to facilitate the point I'm attempting to make, which is that catering to the masses is more efficient than appeasing the stray few on the fringe. Yes, these are broad sweeping statements, I'm just making a generalization that they can make better spectral use by satisfying the higher signal quality UE in the cell, thus why you're seeing CA.

• Like 1

Catering to the masses. They get more mileage out of their capacity by allowing high SNR/RSRQ UE use the network. 64QAM pushes more bits in the same resource blocks.

So if you still have excess resource blocks to consume, why not let it feed the masses?

If a UE needs voice in a low RSRP environment, they shouldn't have any issues, since their voice traffic will be carried over QCI=1, being low bitrate, high priority. Still get your coverage benefits for voice coverage, and you get 25% more data capacity in the LTE RAN.

Would you rather serve 200 customers close to the cell and 5 customers on cell edge adequately, or would you rather serve 100 customers close to the cell and 20 customers further from the cell?

My numbers are exaggeratory to facilitate the point I'm attempting to make, which is that catering to the masses is more efficient than appeasing the stray few on the fringe. Yes, these are broad sweeping statements, I'm just making a generalization that they can make better spectral use by satisfying the higher signal quality UE in the cell, thus why you're seeing CA.

No arguments here. Makes since. If you are in rural territory you should be prepared to have less coverage and speeds.

Is there no aggregation b12 in detroit? Florida is loaded with it. Basically my point is like you said 5x5 is going to perform horrible either way you slice it at edge of cell so you might as well try and make it a little better by adding come CA capacity to the band. If your on edge of cell then a small cell or macro is likely needed away.

But that's the thing - if you're in range for B4 aggregation then you probably don't need to be on B12. Let the people that are out of range of B4 use B12 and B12 becomes less congested.

• Like 3

But that's the thing - if you're in range for B4 aggregation then you probably don't need to be on B12. Let the people that are out of range of B4 use B12 and B12 becomes less congested.

Better battery life in buildings if your on the band with better signal aka band 12.

My point exactly.

I think that T-Mobile knows what they're doing. If you have more speed you can get the task done faster and get off of the network quicker. Do you really think that T-Mobile would do something that would harm their network? And some devices will connect to B12 within the range of B4 regardless, and that's just how networks seem to work. Carrier Aggregation is better use of spectrum. 

From Qualcomm:

Carrier aggregation offers successively higher peak data rates as well as better broadband experience across the coverage area. 

And one more thing from Qualcomm:

Increased data rates of carrier aggregation can be traded off to get higher capacity for bursty applications, such as web browsing, streaming, social media apps and others, meaning operators can choose a higher capacity for the same user experience, better user experience for the same capacity, or both.

I will connect to a loaded B2 5 MHz channel before two unloaded AWS and Band 17 channels. This is just how the network decides to place me. (I'm an AT&T sub)

I will connect to a loaded B2 5 MHz channel before two unloaded AWS and Band 17 channels. This is just how the network decides to place me. (I'm an AT&T sub)

What's the bandwidth of B4 and 17 in your area? Around here AT&T prioritizes wider channels so I get put on band 2 10MHz more than band 4 5MHz. Back when B17 was 10 MHz and only B2 5Mhz existed I was on B17 most often.

What's the bandwidth of B4 and 17 in your area? Around here AT&T prioritizes wider channels so I get put on band 2 10MHz more than band 4 5MHz. Back when B17 was 10 MHz and only B2 5Mhz existed I was on B17 most often.

I know you from HoFo! 

B17- 10 MHz

B4- 10 MHz

B2- 5 MHz

I think the reason I'm always on B2 is because some phones don't have it so they try to push me on it because some users don't have access to it. The amount of people I see still walking around with a Galaxy S III is nothing less than concerning.

I know you from HoFo! 

B17- 10 MHz

B4- 10 MHz

B2- 5 MHz

I think the reason I'm always on B2 is because some phones don't have it so they try to push me on it because some users don't have access to it. The amount of people I see still walking around with a Galaxy S III is nothing less than concerning.

Oh! You're jakeuten! I knew you sounded very familiar to me.

I see you're using a 5S but do you know if CA is live over there? Maybe it has something to do with that, I noticed non CA devices being shuffled around differently than newer ones w CA.

Or perhaps maybe band 4 isn't live on every site while B2 is? That is the case in my area, so besides B2 being priority I still spend more time on it because B4 isn't everywhere yet. There are parts of Chicago without band 2 yet as well, so I used to think B4 was priority until I figured that out and turns out they are balanced evenly where both are live (they're both 10 MHz in Cook county, IL)

Oh! You're jakeuten! I knew you sounded very familiar to me.

I see you're using a 5S but do you know if CA is live over there? Maybe it has something to do with that, I noticed non CA devices being shuffled around differently than newer ones w CA.

Or perhaps maybe band 4 isn't live on every site while B2 is? That is the case in my area, so besides B2 being priority I still spend more time on it because B4 isn't everywhere yet. There are parts of Chicago without band 2 yet as well, so I used to think B4 was priority until I figured that out and turns out they are balanced evenly where both are live (they're both 10 MHz in Cook county, IL)

Carrier Aggregation is live all across the city on 4+17. It was no different on my Alpha or Note 3 (which both supported CA) or my Nexus 5. 

Actually, our carrier order is 17, 4, 2, and soon to be 30. So B4 is on more sites than B2. I'm going to be in Minneapolis next weekend and I know Band 2 is the secondary carrier there. 

Carrier Aggregation is live all across the city on 4+17. It was no different on my Alpha or Note 3 (which both supported CA) or my Nexus 5.

Actually, our carrier order is 17, 4, 2, and soon to be 30. So B4 is on more sites than B2. I'm going to be in Minneapolis next weekend and I know Band 2 is the secondary carrier there.

We have 10mhz band 2 and 10mhz band 12 here in central florida plus 5mhz band 5.

Oh ok. I figured it was but wasn't sure.

Our carrier order is somewhat jumbled depending on the county. Lake County, IN didn't own any B4 licenses until the Leap buyout and they needed more spectrum so they deployed B2. So here it's 17, 2, 4, and now the first 30 sighting has popped up on a 17/2 site, so skipping B4 in some spots.

In Cook county, or anywhere they owned band 4 all along, its 17, 4, 2 and 30. B2 never got deployed on some sites though, just like B4 here.

Because it helps b12's own capacity by giving it the power of b4. I have yet to see sprints b26 outperform tmobile b12 because of this. Tmobile b12 has much better SNR values and they dont fluctuate as bad as sprints b26. In my experience across a few cities in florida at least including my own tmobile band 12 mops the floor with sprint band 26 in reliability.

I am running into sub 1Mbps B12 more and more and more. Half the B12 sites in the South Puget Sound in Washington are running slow, even with full signal, at Peak times. Meanwhile, the super wideband B4 still will be running 5-10Mbps. The best performing are the 10x10 B2 sites, when you can find them.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I am running into sub 1Mbps B12 more and more and more. Half the B12 sites in the South Puget Sound in Washington are running slow, even with full signal, at Peak times. Meanwhile, the super wideband B4 still will be running 5-10Mbps. The best performing are the 10x10 B2 sites, when you can find them.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I have yet to spot band 2 at all. I thought it was a myth. Are those sites with CA?

• Like 1

I have yet to spot band 2 at all. I thought it was a myth. Are those sites with CA?

T mobile is offically adding band 12 to el paso.. just spoke with techs at my home tower.. they were very busy tho.. how long would it take them to complete.. will it cause service interruptions?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

T mobile is offically adding band 12 to el paso.. just spoke with techs at my home tower.. they were very busy tho.. how long would it take them to complete.. will it cause service interruptions?

It was smooth here and towers started broasdcasting in clusters.

Do you know how long it takes for tower completition

Varies. Here a single tower install was 2-3 days and was broadcasting 3-4 weeks later.

I'm not certain. I don't have a CA capable device on Tmo.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

Like all at the same time

When he says clusters, he means neighborhoods or areas. For example, you may see band 12 pop up West of the Franklin Mountains, followed by downtown/UTEP, then Fort Bliss/Airport, etc. Of course, this is just an example. Who knows where T-Mobile will start.
  • Like 1