T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

No irony. I am not even remotely a fanboy. But that is you to a T. The T-Mobile fanboy.

Tales from Houston, TX...

Where all the T-Mobile cell sites are strong, all the T-Mobile LTE signals are good looking, and all the T-Mobile data speeds are above average.

AJ

From what I've experienced in the greater Harris County area, T-Mobile is faster than Sprint about 70% of the time. You may think he is a fanboy (and maybe he is), but he isn't wrong to say that the T-Mobile network in Houston is actually very good when compared to At&t and Sprint. Sprint's failure to successfully balance their loads has been their downfall in most of Southeast Texas. I can see Band 25 have speeds of up to 8-9 Mbps while B26 can't even establish a connection with a server to test. That's the life around some parts of Houston unfortunately for Sprint.

Of course, when B41 is available, then it usually either matches or beats T-Mobile (even without CA). I actually can't think of a scenario where I've seen B41 get beat by T-Mobile's 20x20 AWS network.

The problem for Sprint is that, contrary to what everyone here claims, B41 is an outdoors only network. I've seen some Sprint 8t8r panels around town, but they only perform slightly better than the current Clear equipment. Sprint can densify as much as it wants, but B41 suffers from enormous signal degregation inside buildings. Outside of putting actual repeaters in every city block, B41 won't go inside businesses/houses and can't be used by people indoors. I've seen a case of Sprint 8T8R equipment being next to a grocery store (HEB), but B41 can't even make it past the frozen food section before I'm bumped down to B25/B26.

So while Sprint's B41 network is faster than T-Mobile, T-Mobile's wide band AWS network reaches way more places. This is why Sprint should attempt to at least gain low band spectrum in the upcoming auction or trade/buy midband spectrum. B41 just doesn't get the job done in my experience.

• Like 2

The problem for Sprint is that, contrary to what everyone here claims, B41 is an outdoors only network. 

That's your opinion. It doesn't hold up elsewhere.

My experience is just as valid as yours. And it is the opposite. My experience is that I get solid B41 coverage indoors in Kansas City, and here in Springfield around the sites that have B41 deployed. 

• Like 1

That's your opinion. It doesn't hold up elsewhere.

My experience is just as valid as yours. And it is the opposite. My experience is that I get solid B41 coverage indoors in Kansas City, and here in Springfield around the sites that have B41 deployed.

Agreed. I see B41 more often than not so your experience isn't everything...

From what I've experienced in the greater Harris County area, T-Mobile is faster than Sprint about 70% of the time. You may think he is a fanboy (and maybe he is), but he isn't wrong to say that the T-Mobile network in Houston is actually very good when compared to At&t and Sprint. Sprint's failure to successfully balance their loads has been their downfall in most of Southeast Texas. I can see Band 25 have speeds of up to 8-9 Mbps while B26 can't even establish a connection with a server to test. That's the life around some parts of Houston unfortunately for Sprint.

Of course, when B41 is available, then it usually either matches or beats T-Mobile (even without CA). I actually can't think of a scenario where I've seen B41 get beat by T-Mobile's 20x20 AWS network.

The problem for Sprint is that, contrary to what everyone here claims, B41 is an outdoors only network. I've seen some Sprint 8t8r panels around town, but they only perform slightly better than the current Clear equipment. Sprint can densify as much as it wants, but B41 suffers from enormous signal degregation inside buildings. Outside of putting actual repeaters in every city block, B41 won't go inside businesses/houses and can't be used by people indoors. I've seen a case of Sprint 8T8R equipment being next to a grocery store (HEB), but B41 can't even make it past the frozen food section before I'm bumped down to B25/B26.

So while Sprint's B41 network is faster than T-Mobile, T-Mobile's wide band AWS network reaches way more places. This is why Sprint should attempt to at least gain low band spectrum in the upcoming auction or trade/buy midband spectrum. B41 just doesn't get the job done in my experience.

While sitting on my couch on the 6th floor of apt building and B41 tower is 8 blocks away I hit 20mbs during peak hours 40mbs off-peak, please stop spewing mis information.

On B41 indoors about 80% of the time all over NYC.

• Like 1

Hmm... Still nothing on Houston. I'm looking at this site, which doesn't list Houston, but it lists Chicago, and I have some questions for the technical experts here on S4GRU. Here is the link though before I ask the questions :

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Alright, I'm looking up the Chicago market for T-Mobile, and this is what is says about the spectrum T-Mobile has here in total :

10x10 in the 1710-1720/2110-2120 frequency range

5x5 in the 1740-1745/2140-2145 frequency range

10x10 in the 1745-1755/2145-2155 frequency range

15x15 in the 1895-1910/1975-1990 frequency range

So, the first three are AWS, while the last is PCS. In Chicago, 10x10 of the PCS is being used for LTE, while 5x5 of it is being used for HSPA+. That is my understanding of T-Mobile's spectrum usage here in Chicago.

It appears from this that there is an additional 10x10 amount T-Mobile could be using for LTE. Is it that amount is being used for GSM/EDGE? Also, is there a way for T-Mobile to take their AWS spectrum and combine it for what appears could be a 25x25 on AWS, if it is able to be combined for one large wide band of AWS spectrum?

That doesn't look right at all. They have a contiguous 30 MHz of AWS and 30 MHz of PCS. Right now all AWS is in use for LTE, all PCS is in use for GSM and DC-HSPA.

• Like 1

No irony. I am not even remotely a fanboy. But that is you to a T. The T-Mobile fanboy.

Tales from Houston, TX...

Where all the T-Mobile cell sites are strong, all the T-Mobile LTE signals are good looking, and all the T-Mobile data speeds are above average.

AJ

I accounted for my personal experience with T-Mobile. I even conceded that someone else's experience may be different. I didn't mention Sprint and I posted in the T-Mobile thread. Tell me what I did wrong?

Breathe. Relax. You're way too old to be an E-bully. Sprint will be ok.

Breathe. Relax.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not a fanboy. I don't give a damn about either CEO.

Thanks for the unbiased post.

While sitting on my couch on the 6th floor of apt building and B41 tower is 8 blocks away I hit 20mbs during peak hours 40mbs off-peak, please stop spewing mis information.

On B41 indoors about 80% of the time all over NYC.

It's not 'mis information'. Those are the facts for Houston and the greater Harris County area. You may experience something different in NYC, but it is what it is in Houston. I'm not sugar coating the current situation just because this is a Sprint focused site. You may claim B41 works for you indoors 8 blocks away, but a Clearwire B41 tower (which is colocated with Sprint B25/B26) about 2000 ft away doesn't even penetrate my home. An 8t8r panel next to a grocery store can't get its signal past the frozen food section. In Houston, I'm probably only on B41 20% of the time indoors, and that 20% of the time is when I'm really close to a tower broadcasting B41 or outdoors.

Head to head, T-Mobile beats Sprint in this market indoors. I usually average anywhere between 8-15 Mbps on T-Mobile (with slowest speeds around 2-3 Mbps and peak speeds around 40 Mbps). Outdoors, Sprint wins easily with speeds averaging 20-30 Mbps (with slowest speeds around 10 Mbps on fringe signal and 40-50 Mbps when getting extremely close to the tower). Butnin the end of the day, that outdoor speed victory is irrelevant in a Southern city with harsh, long humid summers.

It's not 'mis information'. Those are the facts for Houston and the greater Harris County area. You may experience something different in NYC, but it is what it is in Houston. I'm not sugar coating the current situation just because this is a Sprint focused site. You may claim B41 works for you indoors 8 blocks away, but a Clearwire B41 tower (which is colocated with Sprint B25/B26) about 2000 ft away doesn't even penetrate my home. An 8t8r panel next to a grocery store can't get its signal past the frozen food section. In Houston, I'm probably only on B41 20% of the time indoors, and that 20% of the time is when I'm really close to a tower broadcasting B41 or outdoors.

Head to head, T-Mobile beats Sprint in this market indoors. I usually average anywhere between 8-15 Mbps on T-Mobile (with slowest speeds around 2-3 Mbps and peak speeds around 40 Mbps). Outdoors, Sprint wins easily with speeds averaging 20-30 Mbps (with slowest speeds around 10 Mbps on fringe signal and 40-50 Mbps when getting extremely close to the tower). Butnin the end of the day, that outdoor speed victory is irrelevant in a Southern city with harsh, long humid summers.

Thankfully me friends and family have much better luck here in NYC, NJ and Philly where I visit.
  • Like 1

Thankfully me friends and family have much better luck here in NYC, NJ and Philly where I visit.

So your entire family and friends check which band they are on religiously like us wireless nerds? I find you're being far-fetched in order to prove a point. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt nonetheless.

Unfortunately, I can say my B41 experiences are almost the same for Dallas, Arlington, Fort Worth, and Austin as of last year.

• Like 1

It's not 'mis information'. Those are the facts for Houston and the greater Harris County area. You may experience something different in NYC, but it is what it is in Houston. I'm not sugar coating the current situation just because this is a Sprint focused site.

No, your observations are not necessarily "mis information" [sic], but they also are not necessarily "facts" for the Houston market.

That said, I am with you on this one.  I really do not understand why others jumped in with their Sprint experiences in other markets -- even though I could corroborate most of those observations.  Those experiences basically are irrelevant to the Houston situation.  And this is the T-Mobile thread, after all, not a Sprint thread.

The issue is with the behavior of Houston_Texas, who uses T-Mobile, posts almost exclusively in this T-Mobile thread or the Marcelo thread, shares only positive anecdotes about T-Mobile or negative comments about CDMA2000, and "Likes" posts that are critical toward Sprint or S4GRU staff.  That smacks of selective reporting with a subjective agenda.

I will address Houston_Texas directly in a subsequent post.  But I will leave with this for now -- and probably post it a few more times.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/houston-tx/2015/2H

Objective testing and reporting.  Sprint soundly beat T-Mobile in Houston.  That is the closest we have to "facts" about performance in the Houston market.  And the last place T-Mobile network displayed multiple problems, notably the inverted downlink and uplink speeds.  But Houston_Texas apparently has not encountered any of those issues.  Everything on T-Mobile is fine.  Maybe he is just lucky.  Or maybe he is not telling the whole truth, nothing but the truth.

AJ

• Like 1

That doesn't look right at all. They have a contiguous 30 MHz of AWS and 30 MHz of PCS. Right now all AWS is in use for LTE, all PCS is in use for GSM and DC-HSPA.

I'm not sure really, I just typed what the site listed about T-Mobile's spectrum here in the Chicago market. However, what was odd is the site's listings of Sprint's spectrum, by completely ignoring all of Sprint's band 41 spectrum. Yet, the site lists AT&T's band 30 spectrum, which isn't that far away from Sprint's band 41. I think its a bit biased of the site to do so, but I suppose they haven't received enough complaints about it, either that or they just don't care.

No, your observations are not necessarily "mis information" [sic], but they also are not necessarily "facts" for the Houston market.

That said, I am with you on this one.  I really do not understand why others jumped in with their Sprint experiences in other markets

AJ

I never disputed his experience, because as we have all learned over the years even just a couple feet could be the difference between a good connection and an excellent one.

My main gripe with his assessment is the broad stroke he painted for Band 41 in general.

Statement in question..

"The problem for Sprint is that, contrary to what everyone here claims, B41 is an outdoors only network."

It could be a lack of optimization, tower placement, location, lack of density or maybe all of the above. But at the end of the day its serving plenty of users indoor and out in many different places making his statement not fact, but personal opinion.

I'm not sure really, I just typed what the site listed about T-Mobile's spectrum here in the Chicago market. However, what was odd is the site's listings of Sprint's spectrum, by completely ignoring all of Sprint's band 41 spectrum. Yet, the site lists AT&T's band 30 spectrum, which isn't that far away from Sprint's band 41. I think its a bit biased of the site to do so, but I suppose they haven't received enough complaints about it, either that or they just don't care.

Anthony may not have updated his web site data after some spectrum swaps among VZW, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.  I cannot say.  Like me, he does spectrum work for free.  It gets tiresome.

AJ

I never disputed his experience, because as we have learned over the years even just a couple feet could be the difference between a good connection and an excellent one.

My main gripe with his assessment is the broad stroke he painted for Band 41 in general.

Statement in question..

"The problem for Sprint is that, contrary to what everyone here claims, B41 is an outdoors only network."

It could be a lack of optimization, tower placement, location, lack of density or maybe all of the above. But at the end of the day its serving plenty of users indoor and out in many different places making his statement not fact, but personal opinion.

I agree.  But whether he actually said it, I believe greenbastard was limiting that scope only to his experience in Houston.  Bar none, band 41 is not an outdoors only network across the board.  To say so would be an inaccurate, sweeping generalization.

AJ

• Like 2

That said, I am with you on this one. I really do not understand why others jumped in with their Sprint experiences in other markets -- even though I could corroborate most of those observations. Those experiences basically are irrelevant to the Houston situation. And this is the T-Mobile thread, after all, not a Sprint thread.

The issue is with the behavior of Houston_Texas, who uses T-Mobile, posts almost exclusively in this T-Mobile thread or the Marcelo thread, shares only positive anecdotes about T-Mobile or negative comments about CDMA2000, and "Likes" posts that are critical toward Sprint or S4GRU staff. That smacks of selective reporting with a subjective agenda.

I will address Houston_Texas directly in a subsequent post. But I will leave with this for now -- and probably post it a few more times.

Objective testing and reporting. Sprint soundly beat T-Mobile in Houston. That is the closest we have to "facts" about performance in the Houston market. And the last place T-Mobile network displayed multiple problems, notably the inverted downlink and uplink speeds. But Houston_Texas apparently has not encountered any of those issues. Everything on T-Mobile is fine. Maybe he is just lucky. Or maybe he is not telling the whole truth, nothing but the truth.

AJ

I have adhered to all guidelines. I have a great relationship with S4GRU staff ( great teaser/G5 article by Tim btw). As for you, I can't help that you stalk my every move. You should reevaluate YOUR actions towards me.

Edited by Houston_Texas

Anthony may not have updated his web site data after some spectrum swaps among VZW, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.  I cannot say.  Like me, he does spectrum work for free.  It gets tiresome.

AJ

It does get tiring. I've been doing some lately just out of curiosity and it's takes some time to examine everything. 

As far as that map goes, VZW and T-Mo shared the A and F blocks but they swapped portions so VZW owns the whole A block, and T-Mo, the entire F block. 

VZW also owns the entire B block, and T-Mo the E block.

In Lake, and Porter county, IN, T-Mo owns the D block on top of E and F. 

That leaves AT&T with the smallest slice of the AWS-1 pie in the Chicago market (especially in Lake and Porter counties).

That map was last updated March 2013 - 3 years ago. 

• Like 1

I have adhered to all guidelines. I have a great relationship with S4GRU staff ( great teaser/G5 article by Tim btw). As for you, I can't help that you stalk my every move. You should reevaluate YOUR actions towards me.

Yes, you have adhered to guidelines by the skin of your teeth, as Robert has noted.  That is why you have not been disciplined.  But your behavior in The Forums is pathological, and that arouses suspicion.

As for the LG G5 article on The Wall, we are glad that you liked it.  Guess who edited it, rewrote some of it, added to it, and titled it?  So, I offer you my personal thanks for the kind words.

AJ

• Like 3

My question is, what building materials are used in Houston?  I ask because that could certainly account for differences in experience.  I see this in OTA TV; parts of the country, particularly in the west, use stucco for building construction, and it murders signal level in buildings in general.  Various building materials have different levels of penetration and thus different experiences result.

In my personal experience here in the eastern part of the country, B41 works well in most buildings as long as the tower isn't too far away, except the ones with low-E glass (like my workplace, which has a DAS instead).  I almost never see B25 though; my phone tends to connect to only B26 or B41, (unless B41 isn't available) which I think speaks to the reliability of the B41 signal.

- Trip

• Like 1

For me, T-Mobile will beat Sprint in speedtests more often, but Sprint is always usable.  I'm seeing more and more places where T-Mobile becomes congested and unusable.  And I still lose service indoors more with T-Mobile even with a band 12 device.  Just went to Jinya Ramen last night, which is in midtown so that's as central as you can get, and service was bordering on unusable to about 1.5Mb/s.  On Monday I was at Gatlin's bbq which is just north of 610 Loop and service was unusable.  Speedtests would time out (and when they time out it doesn't count for Ookla's speedtest results and doesn't hurt T-Mobile's average.)  Sprint was usable in both places (only 2-3Mb/s at Gatlin's and about 6Mb/s at Jinya Ramen).  Both of those speedtests for Sprint will actually hurt Sprint's data speed average but I had usable data.  T-Mobile does have amazing ping times here - quite often I'll see sub 20ms pings when running speedtests.  Sprint is usually 30+ms on b25/b26, around 40ms on Sprint b41, and 60-70ms when on Clear b41.

As for b41 coverage - 60% of the time I see Clear and 40% Sprint.  Sprint b41 works better indoors and gives me better uploads.

• Like 1

Yes, you have adhered to guidelines by the skin of your teeth, as Robert has noted. That is why you have not been disciplined. But your behavior in The Forums is pathological, and that arouses suspicion.

As for the LG G5 article on The Wall, we are glad that you liked it. Guess who edited it, rewrote some of it, added to it, and titled it? So, I offer you my personal thanks for the kind words.

AJ

By a mile or by an inch, guidelines have been followed. I'm sure if I said Marcelo is baby Jesus and Legere is the second coming of lucifer, you would feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I have said positive things about both carriers. Again, reevaluate YOUR actions.

My 'behavior' has been fine. Your actions have been diabolical and makes you look foolish. It's not my problem that you stalk my every move. Find a new hobby. I don't need nor want any fans.

• Like 1

I see this in OTA TV; parts of the country, particularly in the west, use stucco for building construction, and it murders signal level in buildings in general.

Stucco and adobe frequently are applied over a wire mesh.  That makes the building a partial Faraday cage.

AJ

• Like 1

For me, T-Mobile will beat Sprint in speedtests more often, but Sprint is always usable. I'm seeing more and more places where T-Mobile becomes congested and unusable. And I still lose service indoors more with T-Mobile even with a band 12 device. Just went to Jinya Ramen last night, which is in midtown so that's as central as you can get, and service was bordering on unusable to about 1.5Mb/s. On Monday I was at Gatlin's bbq which is just north of 610 Loop and service was unusable. Speedtests would time out (and when they time out it doesn't count for Ookla's speedtest results and doesn't hurt T-Mobile's average.) Sprint was usable in both places (only 2-3Mb/s at Gatlin's and about 6Mb/s at Jinya Ramen). Both of those speedtests for Sprint will actually hurt Sprint's data speed average but I had usable data. T-Mobile does have amazing ping times here - quite often I'll see sub 20ms pings when running speedtests. Sprint is usually 30+ms on b25/b26, around 40ms on Sprint b41, and 60-70ms when on Clear b41.

As for b41 coverage - 60% of the time I see Clear and 40% Sprint. Sprint b41 works better indoors and gives me better uploads.

Midtown is one of the areas that both T-Mobile and Sprint need to urgently densify. Sprint works great for browsing, especially when you're drunk and eating at Mai's around 3 AM. T-Mobile I haven't tried as much since Sprint is my DD.

Honestly, even though T-Mobile has wideband LTE on AWS, I don't think I would ever use it as a daily driver. As an Android user, texts are still relatively important to me and T-Mobile always seems to lose texts or have them arrive extremely late at times.

And that entire Ella Blvd is a wireless nightmare for Sprint users (but a fatty's paradise if you know what I mean). It's quite odd since it is covered very well, but then again the hospital probably doesn't help. The tower that services the area closest to the freeway is physically blocked by the hospital's parking garage. Not much Sprint can do there since the area is pretty dense already with 3 towers in the immediate area of that fast food corridor.

• Like 1

The issue is with the behavior of Houston_Texas, who uses T-Mobile, posts almost exclusively in this T-Mobile thread or the Marcelo thread, shares only positive anecdotes about T-Mobile or negative comments about CDMA2000, and "Likes" posts that are critical toward Sprint or S4GRU staff.  That smacks of selective reporting with a subjective agenda.

I will address Houston_Texas directly in a subsequent post.  But I will leave with this for now -- and probably post it a few more times.

Objective testing and reporting.  Sprint soundly beat T-Mobile in Houston.  That is the closest we have to "facts" about performance in the Houston market.  And the last place T-Mobile network displayed multiple problems, notably the inverted downlink and uplink speeds.  But Houston_Texas apparently has not encountered any of those issues.  Everything on T-Mobile is fine.  Maybe he is just lucky.  Or maybe he is not telling the whole truth, nothing but the truth.

Aside from Sprint having the fastest download speeds and slowest upload speeds, there wasn't a significant variance across the providers' overall performance. The mean overall score was 97.275 with a standard deviation of ~1.19. That's hardly objective evidence that anyone is right or wrong to praise or criticize either provider.

Even with T-Mobile having the lowest median download speed at 9.8 Mbps, they were definitely still fast enough to pass the subjective "good enough" test regardless of their median upload speed. They have also been blanketing the entirety of East Texas with band 12 LTE, including Houston, so I can hardly see why someone should be criticized for pointing that out:

houston_band_12.png

I can also corroborate that in Houston specifically, band 41 is mostly an outside-only network. This is undoubtedly due to a significant portion of it being Clearwire equipment as opposed to Nokia 8T8R. There are, however, some indoor band 41 nodes in hotels and such which help to improve the situation.

But regardless of all of that, if we strictly want to be objective here and ignore anecdotal experiences, let's refer back to the RootMetrics results. All four major providers cover the Houston area very well, and there is no significant variance in their overall performance. So objectively, it would not be a stretch to infer that given mostly uniform overall coverage, a 700 MHz LTE carrier would be more accessible than a 2600 MHz LTE carrier. So can we please get back to talking about networks instead of people's character?

• Like 4