Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

What is out there for truly rugged cases for the Nexus 6? I've always had the Seidio Convert, but they only have the Dilex Pro for it. It doesn't appear to be as tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unicorn beetle is pretty good. Idk how many times I've dropped it. I have a black one. My wife has a white one. My brother in law bought one for his note 4. Pretty happy so far. I would have gotten a otter box but apparently they don't support much outside of the samsung\apple

• Like 1

Unicorn beetle is pretty good. Idk how many times I've dropped it. I have a black one. My wife has a white one. My brother in law bought one for his note 4. Pretty happy so far. I would have gotten a otter box but apparently they don't support much outside of the samsung\apple

i have a unicorn beetle as well, its pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a Nexus 6 last night from EBay. Finally got down to a price point that I could afford. I will mostly be using it on AT&T and Tmo, but want the ability to use it on Sprint too.

The seller mentioned he bought it cash from Tmo and that it was unlocked. He also said he used it for two months on Verizon. Model XT1103.

I know with the N5 was a no go on Sprint, if purchased from Tmo. And I seem to recall the N6 was that way originally too. But didn't Sprint eventually add all N6's? Or was it that they will whitelist N6's now, if asked. I don't recall.

Does anyone know how getting Tmo N6's activated on Sprint is working out these days? Sprint can no longer let Sprint N6's leave without accepting competitors N6's on their network.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/24/the-stark-contrast-nexus-6-on-sprint-and-t-mobile-vs-att/

hopefully your ebay guy doesn't owe t-mobile $ where you can't activate anywhere.

if all else fails there is always Ting

I'm not worried about it. Via PayPal and EBay, he will be taking it back and I will get refunded.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about it. Via PayPal and EBay, he will be taking it back and I will get refunded.

I wonder if this would work with Google Fi? Could be a nice fallback, if so.

• Like 2

I hadn't even considered using Fi. Hmmm

I hadn't even considered using Fi. Hmmm

Just remember, if you activate Project Fi on your Google account, you lose Google Voice for that entire account.

AJ

Just remember, if you activate Project Fi on your Google account, you lose Google Voice for that entire account.

AJ

Its not the end of the world, if you truly hate hangouts (which I know you are not fond of) you can still revert back to old school GV.

But you still have most of the GV features like backed up conversation, being able to receive/send messeges from any device, etc..

Its not the end of the world, if you truly hate hangouts (which I know you are not fond of) you can still revert back to old school GV.

But you still have most of the GV features like backed up conversation, being able to receive/send messeges from any device, etc..

I do not hate Hangouts -- though the name is professionally inappropriate.  And I use Hangouts for SMS, MMS, and chat on my Google Voice integrated Sprint line.

However, I use Google Voice for SMS on my T-Mobile line, Republic Wireless line, tablet, and desktop.  That system works so well that I am worried about breaking any of the functionality.  I already lost GrowlVoice, which was tremendous.  I could be notified and send/receive Google Voice SMS right on my desktop without opening a web browser.  But that loss was Google's fault, not my fault.

Honestly, I cannot keep track any longer how Google Voice, Hangouts, and Project Fi are compatible or incompatible.  I just know that my Google Voice system works, and I am not going to mess with a good thing.  So, unless I set up an alternate Google account or can use my work Google account, I will not be trying out Project Fi.  That unnecessarily oversized Nexus 6 thing sure is not helping matters either.

AJ

I could be notified and send/receive Google Voice SMS right on my desktop without opening a web browser.  But that loss was Google's fault, not my fault.

AJ

G Voice website was definitely nice, it supported a very specific need that was clear and concise. 

Also, you do not need to open up Chrome to be notified of text messeges or voice mails using Hangouts full integration, as long as you have the Chrome desktop Hangouts app (which automatically loads on startup as a service with Chrome) is installed.

In the end, losing the full blown GV website was not a huge deal as I myself initially thought it was.

After losing Google Integration when moving to AT&T has caused me to abandon Google Voice. And even though I have a new Sprint account for use on my Sharp Aquos Crystal when I travel, I don't give out that number to anyone and never integrated it. So, it's no loss to me really.

After losing Google Integration when moving to AT&T has caused me to abandon Google Voice. And even though I have a new Sprint account for use on my Sharp Aquos Crystal when I travel, I don't give out that number to anyone and never integrated it. So, it's no loss to me really.

BTW Robert, highly recommend giving Chroma Rom a go, it's definitely by far the best Rom available for the device. As long as you don't mind losing the Sprint specific dialer codes.

BTW Robert, highly recommend giving Chroma Rom a go, it's definitely by far the best Rom available for the device. As long as you don't mind losing the Sprint specific dialer codes.

I definitely mind. ;)

• Like 1

I definitely mind. ;)

Luckily, I haven't had the necessity of swapping sim cards and messing with programming etc..

But if i ever did, I have a Nandroid of my stock rom.

Gotta love the Nexus experience..

I did the same thing to mine. It bricks if you set the priorities but if you just choose what band to turn on or off then its fine.

How do you turn on and off bands?  I'm not seeing that option.

How do you turn on and off bands? I'm not seeing that option.

From signal check go to system settings, then data/EPST, then go to LTE, then bands then in the right upper corner click that and you will see settings. Then put in your msl number to turn on/off bands. Remember don't turn on band 12 or it will mess up all bands and brick your phone. Band 12 only activates when a T-Mobile Sim is in.

From signal check go to system settings, then data/EPST, then go to LTE, then bands then in the right upper corner click that and you will see settings. Then put in your msl number to turn on/off bands. Remember don't turn on band 12 or it will mess up all bands and brick your phone. Band 12 only activates when a T-Mobile Sim is in.

Oh, OK.  Yeah, I have access to that.  But with an AT&T SIM card in, it still shows only B12/B25/B26/B41.  I was hoping to be able to turn off AT&T Band 17.  AT&T will force me to stay on B17 at work, even though B4 is 10x10 instead of 5x5 and runs 30-40Mbps versus 500kbps.  And the B4 has a more than adequate 100-105dBm RSRP.  But AT&T insists I stay on B17 and deal with sub 1Mbps speeds.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would believe it is because I tether my laptop and I have a 30GB plan.  A coworker of mine has a Moto X 2014 and can use B4 all day in my office.  But with my Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Moto X 2014, I get parked on B17.  And when it will park on B4, I will get shunted down to the lower performing B17 as soon as I start doing anything meaningful.

It's very annoying and I'd love to be able to turn off B17 while I am at the office.

• Like 2

Remember don't turn on band 12 or it will mess up all bands and brick your phone. Band 12 only activates when a T-Mobile Sim is in.

Yes, this is a new Motorola "feature." It also affects the 2014 Moto X.

AJ

Does that mean that band 12 on Sprint is not active on this device?

As I recall, yes.  But, remember, it is not technically a Sprint device -- it is a Republic Wireless device.

Or are you referring to the Nexus 6?

AJ