Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

Anyone else no longer picking up band 26 with the new E update?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems band 26 just isn't working today on the tower I usually use. Sprint really needs to step up band 41 deployment in the SF Easy Bay. I average 0.2 mbit now on both band 25 and 26.

• Like 1

Sounds like it is the N6 Verizon variant.  Some slight changes, but nothing that non Verizon users should use.

Also, how has noone not stated how awesome this update was in reference to sms / mms.  I know people said it was fixed, but boy that is an understatement.  I was waiting to update due to xposed, but I couldn't stand it.  I cannot believe how quickly this phone sends messages now.  I know this is standard now w/ LTE, but it is fantastic!

I've got full GV integration, and every once in awhile I'll still send/receive a duplicate text.

I was hoping the bars would be fixed on this update, still erratic...

I don't have a good reference point as to exactly when this started happening (I was out of the country for 2 weeks when 5.1 was released, and updated while there), but my phone definitely doesn't seem to want to use band 26 anymore.

Previously it would usually keep me on band 26 while idle (ie wifi). Now I stick on band 25 in my apartment until my signal drops to -125 (averages -115 to -120 in some areas) and will eventually drop to 3G. The end result is I always show 0 bars.

My band 26 signal is -95 in the same location (1x is about the same, 1x800 is around -75). So either the update made my phone really not want to use band 26, or some Sprint network optimization is at fault. Both bands in the area are incredibly overloaded on downstream for what it's worth (downstream is 0.2 mbit, upstream is around 7 mbit). I'm a bit concerned about missing calls because of it hanging on to such a weak signal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Anyone else no longer picking up band 26 with the new E update?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems band 26 just isn't working today on the tower I usually use. Sprint really needs to step up band 41 deployment in the SF Easy Bay. I average 0.2 mbit now on both band 25 and 26.

I don't have a good reference point as to exactly when this started happening (I was out of the country for 2 weeks when 5.1 was released, and updated while there), but my phone definitely doesn't seem to want to use band 26 anymore.

Previously it would usually keep me on band 26 while idle (ie wifi). Now I stick on band 25 in my apartment until my signal drops to -125 (averages -115 to -120 in some areas) and will eventually drop to 3G. The end result is I always show 0 bars.

My band 26 signal is -95 in the same location (1x is about the same, 1x800 is around -75). So either the update made my phone really not want to use band 26, or some Sprint network optimization is at fault. Both bands in the area are incredibly overloaded on downstream for what it's worth (downstream is 0.2 mbit, upstream is around 7 mbit). I'm a bit concerned about missing calls because of it hanging on to such a weak signal.

No issues with connecting to Band 26 here.  Samsung market if that helps.

I think he means enable usb debugging.

normally you have to enable dev options > usb debugging then approve the device when first connecting via adb.

on a brand new phone, you can boot to bootloader without ever loading the OS, go to fastboot devices (the device won't be authorized), however as long as it shows the device is recognized, you can type fastboot oem unlock, then do it again and it will unlock without having to have previously booted to OS, unlocked dev settings, enabled usb debugging, authorized the device/computer via adb.

before I learned this, I used to boot up the phone and *skip* the google login, enable dev, enable usb, authorize ADB, then reboot-bootloader, then finally fastboot oem unlock

No, I know what I was saying. Try it yourself. Its enabled by default in the developer options when you first enable the Dev options. Go to Dev options, disable enable OEM unlock. Then go to fastboot and try to unlock. I guarantee you won't be able to do it.

Has anyone had any issues with updating to 5.1 where it will say optimizing apps and then finish and then starting optimizing apps again over and over??

no. i would do a fresh full flash.

No, I know what I was saying. Try it yourself. Its enabled by default in the developer options when you first enable the Dev options. Go to Dev options, disable enable OEM unlock. Then go to fastboot and try to unlock. I guarantee you won't be able to do it.

I can't, I'm still on nexus 5 and that option is not there.

Looks like that screen/option is only for nexus 6 (and I assume nexus 9), part of the new security/lost phone functionality I guess.

Does anyone know if sprint will send out a new sim card?  I have had the no sim card issue twice now...  Im beginning to think that its the sim card.  But this has only happened since ive done the upgrade to 5.1...  Any thoughts?  I have had to do a full factory reset more than once now thanks to it.

Does anyone know if sprint will send out a new sim card? I have had the no sim card issue twice now... Im beginning to think that its the sim card. But this has only happened since ive done the upgrade to 5.1... Any thoughts? I have had to do a full factory reset more than once now thanks to it.

You can go into a store (that's also a repair center) and ask for one. If they say they don't have one for a Nexus 6, ask for a SIM for an iPhone 6/6+. The store doesn't stock the cards, but they'll just pull one from a broken phone they have in the back and set it up for you.

Alternatively, do a chat/email with Sprint International and ask for a SIM. They'll mail you one for free, but it'll take a few days. You can pay for quicker shipping.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if sprint will send out a new sim card? I have had the no sim card issue twice now... Im beginning to think that its the sim card. But this has only happened since ive done the upgrade to 5.1... Any thoughts? I have had to do a full factory reset more than once now thanks to it.

My Nexus 6 started doing the same thing last night after updating to 5.1 a couple days ago. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening. I wonder what could be causing this?

One thing I've noticed, at least with 47E (haven't tested it on 47D) is that it no longer shows 1x when it doesn't have evdo. It shows 3G in the status bar, while the engineering screen shows it only has 1x. So this appears to be a regression from 5.0.1.

Can anyone with 47D confirm?

Sent from my Nexus 6

One thing I've noticed, at least with 47E (haven't tested it on 47D) is that it no longer shows 1x when it doesn't have evdo. It shows 3G in the status bar, while the engineering screen shows it only has 1x. So this appears to be a regression from 5.0.1.

Sent from my Nexus 6

47D does the same.
  • Like 1

My Nexus 6 started doing the same thing last night after updating to 5.1 a couple days ago. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening. I wonder what could be causing this?

Did you play with any of the band priorities or enable/disable any LTE bands?  just curious because I had done this with mine and I suspect this may be the cause of the issue.  Also when yours does that have you tried a different sim card (Verizon, tmobile, at&t, cricket, etc)?  I am going to request a new sim card from Sprint today and see if it helps. 

Did you play with any of the band priorities or enable/disable any LTE bands? just curious because I had done this with mine and I suspect this may be the cause of the issue. Also when yours does that have you tried a different sim card (Verizon, tmobile, at&t, cricket, etc)? I am going to request a new sim card from Sprint today and see if it helps.

I haven't tried a different Sim from another carrier but I have played with priorities, scan time, and enabled band 12 without having any issues.

Did you play with any of the band priorities or enable/disable any LTE bands? just curious because I had done this with mine and I suspect this may be the cause of the issue. Also when yours does that have you tried a different sim card (Verizon, tmobile, at&t, cricket, etc)? I am going to request a new sim card from Sprint today and see if it helps.

I did play with LTE band priorities but it's not that because I've had no problems since I did. Im pretty much definite it was TWRP app SD card writable patch that's doing it to me. Right when it reboots the Sim card doesn't read. So I just wipe and unroot put sprint Sim back in and everything is back to normal. Don't know why I was even playing with the patch because it's for external SD card which we don't have. Hopefully you get yours worked out.

Not sure if that's a regression so much as conformance with one of Sprint's branding policies; unlike Verizon, Sprint brands 1X as "3G" these days (cue argument between folks over whether 1xRTT and 1xAdvanced are really 3G technologies).

On a sidenote, my Nexus 6 (on 47D) got stuck in a weird place where it wouldn't boot at all (not a boot loop - just stuck with the flying lights for several hours) and when I did a factory reset I somehow had no radio. I just unlocked the bootloader and flashed 47E; hopefully that will fix it.

• Like 1

I did play with LTE band priorities but it's not that because I've had no problems since I did. Im pretty much definite it was TWRP app SD card writable patch that's doing it to me. Right when it reboots the Sim card doesn't read. So I just wipe and unroot put sprint Sim back in and everything is back to normal. Don't know why I was even playing with the patch because it's for external SD card which we don't have. Hopefully you get yours worked out.

I had no mods on my phone.  I side loaded the 5.1 update and it worked for a bit, then all the sudden the sim card issue arose.  I tried doing an erase and factory restore after but the Google dots continued to fly around for hours.  So I just redid the install from my computer.

• Like 1

I had no mods on my phone.  I side loaded the 5.1 update and it worked for a bit, then all the sudden the sim card issue arose.  I tried doing an erase and factory restore after but the Google dots continued to fly around for hours.  So I just redid the install from my computer.

Come to think of it, I enabled band 12 too. Maybe the radio initialization in 47D doesn't like that...

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I enabled band 12 too. Maybe the radio initialization in 47D doesn't like that...

could be.  Guess we will have to rely on google to find an answer.  Maybe that's why B12 was disabled.  I am afraid to let my phone die now..  Good thing most stuff gets backed up to the internet.  Still a pain in the butt to have to redownload everything though...

• Like 1