Cable Company Running new line/Upgrades

Destroyallcubes

So I was driving to work an evening this past Friday, noticed a huge spool of cabling, with it going up to our existing cable company Lines. We had Northland here, bought out by Suddenlink. Does anyone know if this spool would be fiber, coax, or what. They also added in what looks like to be a splice box, which is sitting on the ground.

Distance between two pictures was around 2-2.5 miles

KfvVevJ.jpg?2

JLecNuc.jpg?1

not sure but where some of my family live they have the exact same cabling right across the road and it's fiber. Don't take it to mean you're getting fiber to the home, though you never know :)

Edited by jbom

not sure but where some of my family live they have the exact same cabling right across the road and it's fiber. Don't take it to mean you're getting fiber to the home, though you never know :)

Oh no we have coax in the neighbor hoods, we are sorta rural. Fiber runs along the County toads, highways.

Fiber 100%. Look for the orange sleeve's at every pole crossing.Termination loop's I think that's what there are called about every 1000ft.

What does a termination loop? That those oval things that have the cables spun around them in the air? I'm just confused because I haven't seen the fiber connect to anything in our area, and if it was just this one 2 mile stretch not sure our benefit lol

Differently fiber, the second picture you took is an optical splitter...

Makes sense, got one every .5-1 mile, and near intersections

Yep. Fiber. You should see the huge spools going on here near where I work. AT&T and Google Fiber are going crazy with fiber installs.

If there is any interest I can take a picture of them rolling out these spools with big cranes.

• Like 4

Yep. Fiber. You should see the huge spools going on here near where I work. AT&T and Google Fiber are going crazy with fiber installs.

If there is any interest I can take a picture of them rolling out these spools with big cranes.

I never saw a crew actually doing any work , saw the spool one spot going to work, after work it was a mile or so down, sat there a few days, and then disappeared. I just find it odd seeing addition fiber being deployed to an area if less than 1000 people(just outside of a 100k city). One single conduit of fiber should of been sufficient I think for our area?

How many conduit cables are normally used?

u3BoVKA.jpg

g92tN52.jpgbUA1m9q.jpg

Just on my way out today. The big crew is slightly down the road. They use the machine in the second pic to drill horizontally and put pipes into the ground into which the fiber conduit goes. It looks like they are laying it 2 pipes at a time and then when it comes out of the "tomb" further down they are laying bigger cables from there.

If I get time i'll ask them at lunch what company they are laying fiber for. The fiber spools I saw earlier this week were wooden and about twice the size. Maybe if I drive a bit I will find it.

• Like 2

Makes sense, got one every .5-1 mile, and near intersections

If they are running splitters every half mile or so its very possible that someone is prepping for a FTTH (fiber to the home) deployment...

If they are running splitters every half mile or so its very possible that someone is prepping for a FTTH (fiber to the home) deployment...

Hahah yeah right. Its Suddenlink. Tyler is their major data hub or something. We could be a test market, but I know it could be possible. Just they aren't doing any Fiber in the actual neighborhood subdivisions. That's the most costly part that keeps Suddenlink away.

Hmm I was thinking they could be upgrading the fiber while connecting the two networks ,In city Suddenlink, to rural northland. I've seen so many spools if fiber. Just on the side if the highway up 2 miles from this spot is another spool, with line running to the pole. Must be approaching time to see better internet finally!