Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

And Samsung is fully aware of this RF performance when the device ships?

I guess Sprint is as well per its device certification process?

Absolutely.  For FCC authorizations, Samsung does not do its own in house RF testing, but it contracts with FCC accepted RF testing labs.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm so confused with RootMetrics results.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/phoenix-az/2015/2H

Sprint did fairly well, but I am curious how Sprint got 2nd in network speed when T-Mobile has a higher speed (if you added down+upload).  Our previous findings is that Sprint often had higher download speeds but slower uploads, and T-Mobile would often win.  Maybe they weigh that on average speeds, instead of median?

Sprint did fairly well, but I am curious how Sprint got 2nd in network speed when T-Mobile has a higher speed (if you added down+upload).  Our previous findings is that Sprint often had higher download speeds but slower uploads, and T-Mobile would often win.  Maybe they weigh that on average speeds, instead of median?

If Sprint had the fastest median downlink at 12 Mbps while T-Mobile had the fastest median uplink at 12.3 Mbps, we logically can deduce that the T-Mobile network once again is upside down -- its downlink has become slower than its uplink.  This is spreading like a virus.

AJ

• Like 5

If Sprint had the fastest median downlink at 12 Mbps while T-Mobile had the fastest median uplink at 12.3 Mbps, we logically can deduce that the T-Mobile network once again is upside down -- its downlink has become slower than its uplink. This is spreading like a virus.

AJ

It's kind of funny because a lot of people are resorting now to turning off BingeOn from the recent news so a lot of the people that already stream 1080p videos all day still do and now there's new people streaming 480p everywhere now because of BingeOn. IMO it seems like it's backfiring. Also, this doesn't even consider the fact that some people likely downgraded their plans due to BingeOn so T-Mobile has a lower ARPU now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 3

It's kind of funny because a lot of people are resorting now to turning off BingeOn from the recent news so a lot of the people that already stream 1080p videos all day still do and now there's new people streaming 480p everywhere now because of BingeOn. IMO it seems like it's backfiring. Also, this doesn't even consider the fact that some people likely downgraded their plans due to BingeOn so T-Mobile has a lower ARPU now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I read this article

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/01/eff-confirms-t-mobiles-bingeon-optimization-just-throttling-applies

And thought it was funny they dressed "throttling" as "optimization".

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Phoenix is the latest market where Sprint has the faster median download, even though the network is not dense yet. Looks like Marcelo words about being one of the top two networks most likely will come true after the densification project.

Sprint was the worst network in the second half of 2014 in Phoenix and now they are tied for two. Year to year progress is night and day.

• Like 9

Phoenix is the latest market where Sprint has the faster median download, even though the network is not dense yet. Looks like Marcelo words about being one of the top two networks most likely will come true after the densification project.

Sprint was the worst network in the second half of 2014 in Phoenix and now they are tied for two. Year to year progress is night and day.

In 2014, I visited Phoenix with my cousin who had AT&T. Sprint was pretty bad then and AT&T was flying! It's funny to see the tables turned. AT&T ranked last place this time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

Not only is it not densified, but it doesn't have b26 and there are about 12-20 sites that haven't even been touch by NV 1.0. Sprint have the potential to own this market. Hell, finishing NV 1.0 would go along way but deploying b26, adding about 15 macro sites and getting its share of the micro cell deployment and Phoenix will be an excellent sprint market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Not only is it not densified, but it doesn't have b26 and there are about 12-20 sites that haven't even been touch by NV 1.0. Sprint have the potential to own this market. Hell, finishing NV 1.0 would go along way but deploying b26, adding about 15 macro sites and getting its share of the micro cell deployment and Phoenix will be an excellent sprint market.

Not to mention, T-Mobile is kind of spectrum constrained there, too.  Great market with 1.5Million population that Sprint could win a lot of share of.

• Like 4

Not only is it not densified, but it doesn't have b26...

Maricopa County.  Joe Arpaio.  He should show us his SMR 800 MHz license.  It probably is forged.  Deport him.

;)

AJ

• Like 7

Absolutely.  For FCC authorizations, Samsung does not do its own in house RF testing, but it contracts with FCC accepted RF testing labs.

AJ

Interesting. Why doesn't Samsung do its own testing?

How about HTC? Does it do its testing in-house or contract out?

The HTC M9 as I recall has horrid real-world RF Performance... and they just shipped it anyway?

Interesting. Why doesn't Samsung do its own testing?

How about HTC? Does it do its testing in-house or contract out?

The HTC M9 as I recall has horrid real-world RF Performance... and they just shipped it anyway?

They almost certainly do their own internal testing during the design of the phone. I work be shocked if they didn't. But their lab likely isn't certified by the FCC and other agencies, so it's easier to use the FCC report for official numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Not to mention, T-Mobile is kind of spectrum constrained there, too. Great market with 1.5Million population that Sprint could win a lot of share of.

For the longest time sprint was number two in market share here. It tanked after WiMAX never showed up and the others started deploying lte. I think they are last at the moment with a very negative image, do mainly to lack of investment in the network and service problems related to NV. But this is a changing, slowly but people are less down on sprint then they have been in the past.

• Like 4

For the longest time sprint was number two in market share here. It tanked after WiMAX never showed up and the others started deploying lte. I think they are last at the moment with a very negative image, do mainly to lack of investment in the network and service problems related to NV. But this is a changing, slowly but people are less down on sprint then they have been in the past.

There's a thread on Reddit about T-Mobile's NN violations that's quite big and there's a handful of people recommending Sprint there.  It's nice that they're starting to get recognition for their improvements.  Although their past history definitely deserved the criticism it got.

• Like 3

Sprint did fairly well, but I am curious how Sprint got 2nd in network speed when T-Mobile has a higher speed (if you added down+upload). Our previous findings is that Sprint often had higher download speeds but slower uploads, and T-Mobile would often win. Maybe they weigh that on average speeds, instead of median?

Wait that is very weird. I wonder what root metrics is really doing...

Wait that is very weird. I wonder what root metrics is really doing...

The man is trying to hold Sprint back from what they are owed.

• Like 1

"Higher speed"  as defined here is largely irrelevant. On Down + Up T-Mobile would've technically been ahead of Verizon in this test too.  Data usage is asymmetrical and as such most people would want higher download speeds. It wouldn't be unreasonable to have some weighting there. That doesn't explain something like Topeka this round of testing though. It is hard to tell what Root is doing without access to their data sets.

They almost certainly do their own internal testing during the design of the phone. I work be shocked if they didn't. But their lab likely isn't certified by the FCC and other agencies, so it's easier to use the FCC report for official numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

So what's the variance between and FCC certified lab and their internal testing Lab?

Sprint does similar kinds of testing as part of the certification process. Just want to understand this process better.

The 50% off offer is being extended another 30 days. I wonder how successful this promo has been...

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/684810295802331136

I feel like adding the "Sprint LTE Plus is faster than At&it and Verizon" really changed the game from last time. They looked desperate last time but they look really good this time. I would imagine it has been quite successful because it shows customers they are not just competing on price but on network quality as well.

• Like 4

The 50% off offer is being extended another 30 days. I wonder how successful this promo has been...

Perhaps the CFO will comment on this tomorrow?

Sprint CFO Tarek Robbiati to Speak Jan. 7 at the Citi 2016 Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), December 31, 2015 - Sprint (NYSE: S) Chief Financial Officer Tarek Robbiati will speak at the Citi 2016 Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference in Las Vegas on Thursday, Jan. 7 at 5:00 p.m. ET.

A live audio webcast of this session may be accessed at www.sprint.com/investors. A replay will be available shortly after the actual presentation time.

I feel like adding the "Sprint LTE Plus is faster than At&it and Verizon" really changed the game from last time. They looked desperate last time but they look really good this time. I would imagine it has been quite successful because it shows customers they are not just competing on price but on network quality as well.

According to this Newsroom Article, it seems it's been successful:

“The response to 50% off has been outstanding,” said Marcelo Claure, Sprint CEO. “We experienced record sales during Black Friday and continue to see high demand. After receiving such positive feedback from customers and hearing from our salespeople about store traffic, I knew we had to extend this exciting promotion to give even more wireless subscribers the opportunity to experience Sprint’s award-winning network and take advantage of the best value in wireless.”

• Like 5

Not to mention, T-Mobile is kind of spectrum constrained there, too.  Great market with 1.5Million population that Sprint could win a lot of share of.

Sprint has come a long way in much of the Phoenix market except where it counts for me.  My portion of the metro has awful tower density and many non-NV towers.  I moved over to T-mobile with a lot of consternation.  Luckily, it's been a good move and T-mobile has better LTE coverage and speed than Sprint (in my work/live/play areas).  That said, I have no hard feelings towards Sprint and if the price is right and the service is continued to be improved, I'll look at Sprint again in 2 years.  For now, I'll take my chances with T-mobile.

I talked with a rep around the 1st of December and he said his store didn't have one person take on the 50% switch offer.  To be fair, this was a Sprint store in an area that only gets 3G and sporadic LTE (poorly covered west valley of Phoenix).  So I imagine it is hard to sell a phone/service when you can't really experience the improvements.

• Like 2