Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Is it the same policy? Depriortization is a LOT different from throttling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I meant deprioritization instead of soft cap. I'll correct it, but now both carriers deprioritize, same policy.

For people that might use lots of roaming data one month then none the next month. If they used none during one month then the next month the rollover would allow them to have 600 mb instead of 300 mb (thats for my plan, some plans come with less roaming)

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I was being a bit harsh and sarcastic...

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

See this Article: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article39483489.html

Has the scoop on the resignation of Sprint's senior vice president of corporate strategy and development:

"Sprint spokeswoman Melinda Tiemeyer said in an email that Schwartz is leaving “because he has decided to return to Canada.” The company does not plan to fill the post but rather have those who reported to Schwartz report to others after his departure."

Interesting how he's not being replaced.

• Like 4

See this Article: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article39483489.html

Has the scoop on the resignation of Sprint's senior vice president of corporate strategy and development:

Interesting how he's not being replaced.

Basically it was a comfy job for someone who was well connected.

Word on the street is there's a ton of jobs just like that in corporate and is one of the reasons why the structure and environment is so shit.

Sent from my LG-H790

• Like 12

Basically it was a comfy job for someone who was well connected.

Word on the street is there's a ton of jobs just like that in corporate and is one of the reasons why the structure and environment is so shit.

Sent from my LG-H790

So he was appointed on January 2, 2013 to do what exactly? Did Marcelo essentially tell him to hit the road as part of the cost cutting Sprint's doing?

• Like 1

I have read comments from people on various sites who've had T-Mobile up until T-Mobile changed their policy on the unlimited plan to include their initial 21gb deprioritization point. These people have said they were going to move to Sprint, due to Sprint not having a soft cap on unlimited, despite many of these people claiming that T-Mobile still worked better for them.

However, now that Sprint has instituted the same policy T-Mobile now has at 23gb, I wonder if those people will go back to T-Mobile, making T-Mobile's network more congested and an even more restrictive policy put in place by their mighty dictator John Legere.

Here's the deal with that, if the hogs return to whence they came, in this case, T-Mobile, what they will end up doing is pushing up T-Mobile's 97% point up faster.  Also, there's still a price premium for T-Mobile's unlimited network. 

As far as plan comparisons, I run all mine on WhistleOut, and since there's essentially no Sprint where I live, there's not as many options. I run the search on there without the Sprint network checked as a potential network either directly or in MVNO form. That makes me a sad panda. 

http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Search?phone=Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5-32GB&minutes=300&sms=500&data=5000&phoneprice=EarlyUpgrade,Financing,Lease&supplier=T-Mobile,ATT,Verizon-Wireless,GIV-mobile,MetroPCS,Cricket,Simple-Mobile,Ting,Net10,Amazon-Wireless,Page-Plus,Straight-Talk,Total-Wireless,H2O-Wireless,US-Mobile,Red-Pocket,ROK-Mobile,TracFone,GreatCall&currentsupplier=Verizon-Wireless&network=2,6,8

So, with WhistleOut doing the work for everyone, these comparisons should be easier. See?

• Like 1

I still blame T-Mobile for telling its customers they can use all the data they want completely unrestrictive, then suddenly creating the deprioritization policy. I imagine this impacted Sprint with enough customers which made Sprint have no choice but to implement the same policy.

Plus, the deal created by John Legere going after those customers he claimed were illegally tampering with the throttling system must have brought over at least some of those customers over to Sprint, which now Sprint has had to implement the deprioritization policy after all this time without one. So, I think people blaming Sprint for doing this, really ought to blame T-Mobile instead, at least partly.

• Like 3

I still blame T-Mobile for telling its customers they can use all the data they want completely unrestrictive, then suddenly creating the deprioritization policy. I imagine this impacted Sprint with enough customers which made Sprint have no choice but to implement the same policy.

Plus, the deal created by John Legere going after those customers he claimed were illegally tampering with the throttling system must have brought over at least some of those customers over to Sprint, which now Sprint has had to implement the deprioritization policy after all this time without one. So, I think people blaming Sprint for doing this, really ought to blame T-Mobile instead, at least partly.

I highly doubt defectors from either tmo to sprint or reverse push the proverbial needle much if at all.

But who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Everything isn't T-Mobiles fault. You can't blame them for something their CEO said, that probably 99% of consumers haven't even heard before.

• Like 3

Everything isn't T-Mobiles fault. You can't blame them for something their CEO said, that probably 99% of consumers haven't even heard before.

While not everything is T-Mobile's fault, I, and most certainly everyone can blame T-Mobile for certain things shown to have as negative effect, along with blaming T-Mobile's CEO, John Legere, for things he's said clearly on behalf and/or in his position of the company.

At least on one occasion, though I've heard from others he has said similar things to this extent, when he told T-Mobile customers that they could stream/ use data as much as they want on their samsrtphones (something to that extent, though it's been a while since I heard the exact statement that I don't remember it exactly.)

However, here is an article with an interesting quote :

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/unlimited-entertainment-getting-hbo-and-more-on-the-road/

"The CEO of T-Mobile John Legere is actively encouraging binge watching on his cellular network. But unlimited is only available on smartphones, not for tablets and especially not for mobile hotspots."

Along with this image :

http://i1.wp.com/www.rvmobileinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/T-Mobile-Binge-Watch.png?zoom=2&resize=298%2C78

While not everything is T-Mobile's fault, I, and most certainly everyone can blame T-Mobile for certain things shown to have as negative effect, along with blaming T-Mobile's CEO, John Legere, for things he's said clearly on behalf and/or in his position of the company.

At least on one occasion, though I've heard from others he has said similar things to this extent, when he told T-Mobile customers that they could stream/ use data as much as they want on their samsrtphones (something to that extent, though it's been a while since I heard the exact statement that I don't remember it exactly.)

However, here is an article with an interesting quote :

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/unlimited-entertainment-getting-hbo-and-more-on-the-road/

"The CEO of T-Mobile John Legere is actively encouraging binge watching on his cellular network. But unlimited is only available on smartphones, not for tablets and especially not for mobile hotspots."

Along with this image :

http://i1.wp.com/www.rvmobileinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/T-Mobile-Binge-Watch.png?zoom=2&resize=298%2C78

So the "RV Mobile Internet Resource Center" posted an article about using T-Mobile to watch HBO. This impacts Sprint's ability to offer "truly" unlimited because why again?

If the data is accurate, and we have no reason to not believe Sprint and T-Mobile....that the top 3% of their users are using over 23GB of data...then it seems wise to deploy these methods to ensure the network is available for 97% of your customers. It's a common sense approach.

• Like 7

This is interesting...

FCC investigates prices AT&T and Verizon charge Sprint and other rivals

Sneaky contracts harm competition, businesses claim.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/10/fcc-investigates-prices-att-and-verizon-charge-sprint-and-other-rivals/

So I am reading that sprint and other local Telcom companies don't like the exorbitant copper line contacts that restrict upgrading to fiber... Seems like that could have been avoided by upgrading to fiber at the onset of NV. Which I know was a money issue, but still., they probably could have bit the bullet and upgraded then instead of biting the bullet now and playing catch up.
  • Like 1

So the "RV Mobile Internet Resource Center" posted an article about using T-Mobile to watch HBO. This impacts Sprint's ability to offer "truly" unlimited because why again?

If the data is accurate, and we have no reason to not believe Sprint and T-Mobile....that the top 3% of their users are using over 23GB of data...then it seems wise to deploy these methods to ensure the network is available for 97% of your customers. It's a common sense approach.

That is just one particular site I found mentioning it, probably because if anyone needs lots of mobile data, it is people who go on long road trips using an rv, especially on family vacations with bored kids (and adults). Just because it isn't a wireless tech site, doesn't mean their content regarding wireless-related issues aren't valuable. In all actuality in many ways, its even better than many wireless tech sites, because they don't hire writers who have certain quotas enforced on them of how many Sprint-bashing articles they must write every week without worry of getting fired.

My point never was meant to be technical, Joshua. I mean no offense to you, especially as you are one of the members here who've been kind to me. You've read and liked many of my posts/mini-articles on the forum, so you must know I'm rarely ever technical about things. I post more from my own opinions and viewpoints of things, rather than to recite specific realities, unless I feel it absolutely is needed for me to do so.

I happen to view what John Legere has done with T-Mobile as generally bad. That is my opinion. However, and I think alot of people here would agree with me on this, John Legere has Flip flopped on some issues, including being so open about T-Mobile customers being able to use as much data as they want, because of the T-Mobile network being "Data Strong".

Due to that, it does send the message to users they can go ahead and use so much data where in some ways, it could be considered as "data abuse", even though I generally sympathize with the user as I see it necessary for the carriers to be responsible by not encouraging that in the first place and making sure to crack down on it when it happens.

What T-Mobile did however, through John Legere's promoting of heavy data usage, then all of the sudden implementing data policies working against that heavy data usage, is it brought over a portion of those heavy data users over to Sprint. Perhaps not such a huge percentage, but enough that it is reasonable to believe those added heavy users to Sprint's current base of heavy users combined took a toll on Sprint's network.

Yet, that current base of heavy users on Sprint were not enough of a toll on Sprint's network alone to cause Sprint to implement the deprioritization policy. Sprint only did this recently after enough time had passed for Sprint to look over the statistics of usage and decide this policy as being necessary for their network.

My point is, it is possible those added T-Mobile customers who migrated to Sprint based from the flip flop decisions at T-Mobile regarding what to say and do about heavy data usage, may have been the cause of Sprint's new policy, even after so long of Sprint holding out on this.

I apologize for the length of this post. Lots to say here.

To add one more counterpoint to the discussion, Omaha.  It is a smaller, non major league, and less attractive city than Kansas City.  Yet, Omaha has an impressive five longstanding Fortune 500 companies.  They have not relocated to other cities.  They are able to recruit employees.  The idea that the Midwest is a non destination is false, and it seems to be floated by people with a coastal bias.

AJ

Saw this on the news a few weeks ago and remembered we were having this discussion here..

Experts say ConAgra’s move to Chicago is about tapping young, hip talent pool  

http://www.omaha.com/money/experts-say-conagra-s-move-to-chicago-is-about-tapping/article_56493c66-7e98-542c-b2a0-6639a02353f6.html

Saw this on the news a few weeks ago and remembered we were having this discussion here..

Experts say ConAgra’s move to Chicago is about tapping young, hip talent pool  

http://www.omaha.com/money/experts-say-conagra-s-move-to-chicago-is-about-tapping/article_56493c66-7e98-542c-b2a0-6639a02353f6.html

No matter where it is located, nothing about ConAgra screams "young, hip."

AJ

• Like 5

No matter where it is located, nothing about ConAgra screams "young, hip."

AJ

It's still a brutal loss for Omaha, especially considering what they have given up to make Con Agra happy there. I know a lot of people there who work for Con Agra.

It's still a brutal loss for Omaha, especially considering what they have given up to make Con Agra happy there. I know a lot of people there who work for Con Agra.

That is why I suggest these corporations not try to be what they are not.  Just be what they are.  Own their identities and locations.  There is nothing wrong with that.

AJ

• Like 2

That is why I suggest these corporations not try to be what they are not.  Just be what they are.  Own their identities and locations.  There is nothing wrong with that.

AJ

Until all your employees grow old and die off - and you realize there's no one there to replace them!  :rofl:

• Like 1

That is why I suggest these corporations not try to be what they are not. Just be what they are. Own their identities and locations. There is nothing wrong with that.

AJ

Con Agra had one valid reason for moving to Chicago, most of their sub-brands where headquartered in Chicago already. It was a sensible business decision that they needed to consolidate all their brands into one HQ and consolidate management teams. How they went about justifying the move (need to get young and hip talent) was a bad PR move and utter B.S.
  • Like 2

It seems big bad red added a decent amount of new subscribers .... Granted I suspect many are tablets. But who cares... Sprint could do the same.

Just seems odd with tmo and Sprint being great value - how do they still add.... Id assume since the network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've never hid the fact while I'm not a fan of any carrier, I like Verizon despite some of their pricing and other issues.

Here is something I just now finished reading which makes me really appreciate Verizon in this mess over unlimited data deprioritizing, throttling, speed capping, etc. :

http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-promises-an-open-road-for-unlimited-data-customers/

I had an opportunity once to get on Verizon's unlimited plan when I was in Arkansas visiting a friend at that time. We went into the store and looked at the smartphones. I believe my main device interest there at the time was a Samsung Galaxy S2. I was going to arrange it with my mother out of state, as I had a horrible experience using T-Mobile on the train ride from Illinois to Arkansas.

I regret to this very day, that I didn't get Verizon with the unlimited plan. Even the rate hike would have been worth it to me.

Anyways, kudos to Verizon for not lowering itself to playing that same old uncarrier game. I hope Sprint will realize this too. I don't blame Sprint though, and I expect their new policy is just a transition to eliminating unlimited and replacing it hopefully with a fair and flexible per gb data rate plan.

I've never hid the fact while I'm not a fan of any carrier, I like Verizon despite some of their pricing and other issues.

Here is something I just now finished reading which makes me really appreciate Verizon in this mess over unlimited data deprioritizing, throttling, speed capping, etc. :http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-promises-an-open-road-for-unlimited-data-customers/

I had an opportunity once to get on Verizon's unlimited plan when I was in Arkansas visiting a friend at that time. We went into the store and looked at the smartphones. I believe my main device interest there at the time was a Samsung Galaxy S2. I was going to arrange it with my mother out of state, as I had a horrible experience using T-Mobile on the train ride from Illinois to Arkansas.

I regret to this very day, that I didn't get Verizon with the unlimited plan. Even the rate hike would have been worth it to me.

Anyways, kudos to Verizon for not lowering itself to playing that same old uncarrier game. I hope Sprint will realize this too. I don't blame Sprint though, and I expect their new policy is just a transition to eliminating unlimited and replacing it hopefully with a fair and flexible per gb data rate plan.

Verizon was the first to throttle their unlimited plan - it wasn't deprioritization either, which is less extreme than full on throttle. Oh, not only was it throttled, but it would happen at 5gb, none of that 20+gb that's being implemented now.

After years of not offering unlimited data, and getting people to drop their unlimited plans by not offering subsidized upgrades, the few remaining people with unlimited have it pretty good. Except for the part where their prices are going up.

• Like 2