Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

You have to try really damn hard to rack up more than 23GB. That's walking around with WiFi off 24/7 and doing app updates, streaming, etc as if you were on WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

You have to try really damn hard to rack up more than 23GB. That's walking around with WiFi off 24/7 and doing app updates, streaming, etc as if you were on WiFi.

Exactly. I struggle to reach 10GB and according to my friends my phone is glued in my hand. Then again, I'm virtually always on WiFi and the only time I'm not is when I am off campus. Even then, I can connect to cable WiFi when I am out and about in the Boston metro area.

• Like 4

Edit- I with AJ about unlimited data being removed and going strictly with a tiered data approach.

Well, you can already do this if you like, there are several carriers including sprint that offer tiered data.

I encourage you to switch if that is your preference.

Well, you can already do this if you like, there are several carriers including sprint that offer tiered data.

I encourage you to switch if that is your preference.

I say that because carriers are offering unlimited data then tries to come up with ways to curve abuse. I've been on several forums where users are posting their 500gb+ usage and comparing them to others. I'm not switching I have unlimited for a reasonable price. My usage falls within reasonable usage range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think it's better for Sprint to do this now. Instead of waiting until a year or two from now and have users racking up 500gb to 1tb in usage. I view other forums other than this one and see Verizon and T-Mobile unlimited users do it all the time. It's sickening to see users use that much data regardless if its on their devices or not. So, I think it's better for them to do it now and whoever wants to leave because of it can leave now.

Edit- I with AJ about unlimited data being removed and going strictly with a tiered data approach.

Eventually it would be a good idea but for now if Sprint did that, there would not be much incentive of being with Sprint over Verizon or At&t. The Sprint network is just not there yet.
  • Like 3

What I still find a little funny is how Marcelo has only been CEO for a little over a year. As many of us know here it takes times to turn around a company that wasn't run well. Think of how long it took Legere to turn around T-Mobile. I believe Sprint is making the right decisions and is doing what it can to stop the bleeding. Analyst can say whatever they want and many people will believe them right now, but the fact is no one knows where Sprint will be a year or two from now.

• Like 4

Eventually it would be a good idea but for now if Sprint did that, there would not be much incentive of being with Sprint over Verizon or At&t. The Sprint network is just not there yet.

That's true but some people feel like the network isn't their to start de-prioritizing either. I'm not affected by the change I rarely use 5gb. It's good that Sprint is starting this before NGN take off and users have a faster more consistent network to abuse. I just don't like seeing the 100gb+ usage screenshots. I feel like anyone that uses that much data on a smartphone doesn't have much of a personal life.

• Like 2

That's true but some people feel like the network isn't their to start de-prioritizing either. I'm not affected by the change I rarely use 5gb. It's good that Sprint is starting this before NGN take off and users have a faster more consistent network to abuse. I just don't like seeing the 100gb+ usage screenshots. I feel like anyone that uses that much data on a smartphone doesn't have much of a personal life.

They are the minority that are so mad so let them be mad. They want unlimited Tmobile is right there waiting with their own caps. It's a losing situation for them and that's why they are barking so loud. Most people won't notice or care about this but the data abusers. However if Sprint went to tiered data, what is Sprint known for? Slow speeds, value and Unlimited data. Take away unlimited data and watch Sprint lose thousands of customers.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

However if Sprint went to tiered data, what is Sprint known for? Slow speeds, value and Unlimited data. Take away unlimited data and watch Sprint lose thousands of customers.

Data prioritization is a good compromise between the extremes of "unlimited" data and tiered data.  It allows "unlimited" data to remain an option -- but the gravy train of racking up 23+ GB month after month for many "unlimited" users in the top few percent may be over.

AJ

• Like 9

Data prioritization is a good compromise between the extremes of "unlimited" data and tiered data. It allows "unlimited" data to remain an option -- but the gravy train of racking up 23+ GB month after month for many "unlimited" users in the top few percent may be over.

AJ

100% in agreement.

I say that because carriers are offering unlimited data then tries to come up with ways to curve abuse. I've been on several forums where users are posting their 500gb+ usage and comparing them to others. I'm not switching I have unlimited for a reasonable price. My usage falls within reasonable usage range.

I gotcha, you want expensive tiered for everyone else, while you keep your reasonably priced unlimited. :)

• Like 1

I will say this.  The top few percent who use 23+ GB per month going forward may want avoid all sporting events, concerts, theme parks, etc.  For mobile data, you guys probably will not be able to squeeze out a drop.  Better hope for Wi-Fi.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

I will say this. The top few percent who use 23+ GB per month going forward may want avoid all sporting events, concerts, theme parks, etc. For mobile data, you guys probably will not be able to squeeze out a drop. Better hope for Wi-Fi.

;)

AJ

Only after we hit 23 gigs though.... So go to concerts, sporting events, ect..... Early in the month lol.

• Like 4

I gotcha, you want expensive tiered for everyone else, while you keep your reasonably priced unlimited. :)

No. I'll give up unlimited for a reasonably priced tiered plan like the one Sprint has that comes with 40gb shared for $120 monthly. I've actually considered it to get my son and daughter unto my plan.

I'm blown away by how tame the reception of deprioritization is. Unlimited is the reason I've stayed with Sprint for as long as I have; that and they were the least expensive. Now that they've upped the price of unlimited and imposed the same data cap T-Mobile has, there's doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to stay with Sprint vs. T-Mobile now, or even AT&T and Verizon, as their caps approach Sprint and T-Mobile.

Why the hell would I pay for unlimited if I don't get unlimited? If it's capped at 23gb, just SAY 23gb. And don't give me that B.S. about 'it's still unlimited', it's the exact same crap MetroPCS has been pulling for years; 'unlimited data' for $30 a month!

This is outrageous. I thought the network was getting better? What about all that capacity? Why am I getting less water when the pipe is getting bigger?

So, hopefully at this point you've realized there is no "cap" ... You are not being limited in any way, your data is temporarily slowed down, and once network conditions improve your speeds/latency returns to normal. You still have unlimited data. You can still use 100GB a month if you really really want to. It'll just be a bit slower in congested areas.

Besides, Unlimited =/= high-speed. You can continue to have all the data you can possibly have...but at 2G speeds.

Nothing has said you're slowed to 2G speeds. You may not even notice that your data is being slowed. 

I use 20+gb a month through Netflix at my work. Easily. And the App Store. I don't abuse anything, they TOLD me I had no limits, I don't have wifi at work, so I casually watch movies and listen to music when I want, all through legal means, and it just happens to exceed the arbitrary 23gb cap.

You're still unlimited. If you're working overnight, chances are you won't be impacted by de-prioritization in any way. That's a ridiculuous amount of Netflix though ... just saying.

If they don't implement it like T-Mobile has, where you get slowed to .1mbps on every 'congested' tower, for an entire month, I would be ok with this. If I was slowed down to a still usable speed. Fine. I just don't see this playing out like that.

This looks good, but again, it matters how MUCH they slow you down to. If other people on the tower are getting 100mbps, and I get .1mbps, it's absurd. That would destroy reliability. If I still get like 5mbps, I'm completely fine with this. I just have my doubts.

Again, no one said you're being slowed to 2G speeds. We don't exactly know how QoS will work in terms of speed/latency yet. Last time Sprint implemented a plan like this, we couldn't find anyone who had actually been impacted. 

• Like 7

They are the minority that are so mad so let them be mad. They want unlimited Tmobile is right there waiting with their own caps. It's a losing situation for them and that's why they are barking so loud. Most people won't notice or care about this but the data abusers. However if Sprint went to tiered data, what is Sprint known for? Slow speeds, value and Unlimited data. Take away unlimited data and watch Sprint lose thousands of customers.

I don't see Sprint losing its core business along those lines though, if they were to replace unlimited data with sensibly, affordable prices tiered data. My suggestions for it in the Suggestion Box plan thread, base price point is $35 monthly for 5gb, with $2 per 1gb overage. At $55 monthly with overages, leads up to 15gb for that $55. As a bonus, my idea for Sprint to give customers who plan a consistent $55 monthly, and agree to a constant lease, an extra 10gb.

With that bonus, it is $55 monthly for 25gb data, which is $15 cheaper than the current unlimited plan with the 23gb "priority ceiling". $65 monthly, which is between the old unlimited plan rate and the new unlimited plan rate, under my suggestion, would give 30gb. Not many people would say that $65 monthly for 30gb isn't a good deal. Plus, since that is only for consistent $55 monthly and constant lease, Sprint makes up for it. Especially if my network variable speed cap idea were possible and implemented, there shouldn't be much stress on the network.

Ah that brings up another good point;

Those on 40gb shared plans, are not getting de-prioritized when they go over 23gb usage, yet 23 to 40g of bucket data is the exact same as 23 to 40g data on unlimited.

gigs is gigs.

• Like 2

So, hopefully at this point you've realized there is no "cap" ... You are not being limited in any way, your data is temporarily slowed down, and once network conditions improve your speeds/latency returns to normal. You still have unlimited data. You can still use 100GB a month if you really really want to. It'll just be a bit slower in congested areas.

Nothing has said you're slowed to 2G speeds. You may not even notice that your data is being slowed. 

You're still unlimited. If you're working overnight, chances are you won't be impacted by de-prioritization in any way. That's a ridiculuous amount of Netflix though ... just saying.

Again, no one said you're being slowed to 2G speeds. We don't exactly know how QoS will work in terms of speed/latency yet. Last time Sprint implemented a plan like this, we couldn't find anyone who had actually been impacted. 

My thoughts are that it's going to be the same as the cap before all the Net Neutrality stuff happened. They say you're going to be 'slowed down' but no one ever really notices that they're slowed down. Or odds are the other people will be using their phones like normal and their requested data will stop shortly once they finish what they were doing and the person being 'limited' will be back to being the only one on a network. The same type of ebb and flow on home networks when you have lots of people on them, that no one bitches about (well unless you're on dialup ;) ).

Ah that brings up another good point;

Those on 40gb shared plans, are not getting de-prioritized when they go over 23gb usage, yet 23 to 40g of bucket data is the exact same as 23 to 40g data on unlimited.

gigs is gigs.

What is the difference, if any price wise?

AJ

With T-Mobile bringing back its promotion, I wonder if Sprint will decide to match it or beat it.

While I don't think two lines 10gb per line for $100 monthly is such a great deal, adding two 10gb additions for $10 each, makes it quite good. Essentially each line then is $60 monthly for 20gb, that is $3 per 1gb. Add two more lines with the two 10 gb additions, that is a total of $160 monthly for 80gb, each line at $40 monthly for 20gb, that is $2 per 1gb.

With T-Mobile bringing back its promotion, I wonder if Sprint will decide to match it or beat it.

While I don't think two lines 10gb per line for $100 monthly is such a great deal, adding two 10gb additions for $10 each, makes it quite good. Essentially each line then is $60 monthly for 20gb, that is $3 per 1gb. Add two more lines with the two 10 gb additions, that is a total of $160 monthly for 80gb, each line at $40 monthly for 20gb, that is $2 per 1gb.

Pricing is tricky. Like me for example I would have no problem switching to the $120 40gb family plan but its value is not as good as framily which I pay $95 for two lines and unlimited data. Most would not see the logic in switching over. I dont need unlimited but peace of mind of not looking at charges is great. In the 6 years I have been with Sprint I have never used more than 14gb in a month.
  • Like 1

What is the difference, if any price wise?

AJ

well its now $70 for unlimited vs $120 for 40 (or $100 for 10 gig lol), with the $15 phone charge waived.

There isn't any 20 or 30 gig plan available on sprints ordering page.

So here's my question:

Marcelo has been responding to people asking about the 23 GB threshold on Twitter. He's making some good points about how it's real time/dynamic and how a congestion check is done every 20ms.

However, when you look at the Network performance scores of Sprint compared to the other carriers in certain markets (Not Chicago/Denver or the other standout cities where CA has made a difference), are the slower data speeds/lower data scores for Sprint in certain cases a reflection of congestion or overall peak performance given the status of the network buildout there?

If it's market-wide congestion, then people hitting 23 GB in those areas are going to be throttled no matter what for the remainder of their billing cycle/month until additional capacity comes online.

• Like 1

I'm OK with this. I was OK with it when T-Mobile did it. I was OK with it when AT&T did it. The only reason Verizon cannot is the 700 MHz open access rules. 

This is the way the industry is going. 

• Like 4