Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

lte @ ~1mbs is extremely heavily loaded. this likely could be from too many users, or a few users using heavy bandwidth causing an overloaded sector, or less likely it could be overloaded backhaul.

3g @ ~1mbs is barely loaded. Assuming not a backhaul problem, the lightly loaded 3g is going to feel better than the heavily loaded LTE connection.

latency greatly affects your perception of network performance.

see for example satellite can still feel slower than LTE or landline at about the same speeds.

<insert 'science, yeah!' picture>

• Like 2

I dont comprehend all the throttling/priority whining. Seems to be why we cant have nice things. Tmobile has been "reducing priority" for users beyond 21GB since the summer and seems to have emerged unscathed. Sprint cant win with some people no matter what.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

One of the few times I'll side with AJ:

Your expecting to much from a technology that is still fairly new. Your standards are not only too high, but a bit unrealistic for today's wireless industry.

Well, you better hope for a plague, because with the growing demand for data, there simply is not enough spectrum out there to accommodate your desires.

To put it in perspective, 15 Mbps would be almost half of the bandwidth one sector can offer in a real world environment for a 5x5 carrier from Sprint. So for your desired needs, you would have to have optimal signal with no more than 2 people in your area (yourself included). For 18 Mbps, you would literally have to be the only one online for that to happen.

Again, what you're expecting from wireless companies would be akin to expecting car manufacturers to build a car that could run on water...Today.

Unless pcell technology proves to be the real deal, I doubt any of us may be around to experience what you are describing.

Lower your expectations.

Thank you for the reply. It was the kind of constructive counterpoints I do receive, which I understand and am not offended by. However, I have my reasons for having high standards I don't think anyone could understand without having met me and knowing a bit of my background.

Again, I don't mean to be offensive with my viewpoints, and to go a bit further, I understand how the great appreciation for technology many people here have for what it is might be offended by someone who does as I do by talking about vast differing ideas about it, as it may sound.

While I'll refrain from going into my life background for reasons I respect this site's focus on technology and not wanting to deviate away from that. However as one particular interest I have pertains to that, I'll briefly share about it. I'm a supporter of a social change movement which puts a major focus on rapidly progressing technological ideas free from the restraint of financial economics, with the advent of a totally new economic system based on resources, rather than finances, called the Zeitgeist Movement.

Now I won't go into it here on the site, unless the staff gives me permission to start a thread discussing it. If they don't post here giving me the go ahead to do so, I won't. So to keep it simple for now, which unless I can describe it more in its own thread, all I'll be able to say is that being involved in that movement will shift a person's thinking to a progressive mode regarding technology. There isn't much emphasis focused on "how things are", which is what attracted me to the cause in the first place.

Still, it isn't the only reason I think the way I do, as the rest has to do with my life. I can't change that and I'll always be looking at things as they should be based on my experiences. On things I know which realistically cannot change, I'll admit to. There even are many ideas in the Zeitgeist Movement I support, but will admit that it's likelihood of happening realistically, is slim to none.

Despite that, I do believe many of my ideas about wireless are possible, but it would take some changes in how things are setup by groups like the FCC, etc. By the way, I do support pcell and hope it advances quickly.

I dont comprehend all the throttling/priority whining. Seems to be why we cant have nice things. Tmobile has been "reducing priority" for users beyond 21GB since the summer and seems to have emerged unscathed. Sprint cant win with some people no matter what.

I just read on Reddit that this guy is switching from Sprint to Verizon because of the "23GB" limit.  Kind of ironic, because they're going to a carrier that enforces stronger limits, mainly out of spite.  Not much logic there.

• Like 3

I just read on Reddit that this guy is switching from Sprint to Verizon because of the "23GB" limit. Kind of ironic, because they're going to a carrier that enforces stronger limits, mainly out of spite. Not much logic there.

Let him enjoy paying $120 for 18gb before the device payment. And i guess another $75 for the 5gb overage to get him to 23gb

• Like 2

I just read on Reddit that this guy is switching from Sprint to Verizon because of the "23GB" limit.  Kind of ironic, because they're going to a carrier that enforces stronger limits, mainly out of spite.  Not much logic there.

"Hi, I'd like to cancel my Sprint service."

"I'm sorry to hear that, sir.  May I ask why you are canceling your service?"

"For spite."

AJ

• Like 7

Let him enjoy paying $120 for 18gb before the device payment. And i guess another $75 for the 5gb overage to get him to 23gb

People are stupid. It isn't a limit. It may never impact you even if you regularly hit the 23 gig mark, especially as the network improves as sprint claims it will.

Children often make idle threats.  They have no plans of carrying through on those threats.  They just hope to get what they want or irritate a decision maker into reversing course.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

He'll be back after he's billed for going over 1kb of his allotted data. People are really acting like teenage girls who got a pimple the day of prom. Some really think that it's a free for all with Sprint and even T-Mobile. When their networks were shit everywhere of course they are going to tell you do what you eat when you want and that's to keep customers. There networks are improving so it's only right they protect their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are complaining because they not longer will be able to use their Sprint line as a home ISP to stream Netflix, Showbox and Mobdro.

I am glad Sprint, and Tmobile are making war against the data hogs. Oh where are you going to go? Verizon and att with their 15 dollars per gig.

• Like 2

Culled from our S4GRU members data usage poll thread, here is another interesting statistic. Yesterday, I reported that approximately the top 10 percent of data users exceed 23 GB, and that top 10 percent make up at least 43 percent of total data usage.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6319-marcelo-claure-town-hall-meetings-new-family-share-pack-plan-unlimited-individual-plan-discussion-thread/?p=451445

I went back and reran the calculations. This time, though, I took out of the equation the first 23 GB for the top 10 percent. With the first 23 GB excluded, the additional data usage that now could be subject to prioritization account for at least 27 percent of total data usage. And I say "at least" because we cannot reliably estimate how much data the 90+ GB users are consuming. It could be pushing from the GB range to the TB range.

So, the actual data usage beyond 23 GB could exceed 30 percent of total data usage. That is a sobering statistic. If prioritization greatly slows down that additional usage, deters it, or causes those users to churn, then other users could feel a significant difference in network performance.

AJ

• Like 8

They are complaining because they not longer will be able to use their Sprint line as a home ISP to stream Netflix, Showbox and Mobdro.

I am glad Sprint, and Tmobile are making war against the data hogs. Oh where are you going to go? Verizon and att with their 15 dollars per gig.

I'm not sure if this will stop all of them.

Whether a good or bad thing, there are places like my home with clearwire CA, 2xB25, and Sprint B26/41 all converging in one area, which really does not allow for congestion and hence would not allow for de-prioritization.

That just makes me wonder if there should be a hard cap of say 100GB that slows a person down to 2G speeds regardless of congestion?

I have literally tested and witnessed 3g handling 1mbps better than lte. When your in a slow lte area see for yourself. Even Robert has acknowledged this.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am in slow LTE areas all the time. My home area is basically at the edge of where Sprint actively tries to cover in Charlotte, and two Sprint sites are shared among my entire town (population ~12,000). 1 mbps LTE works about as well, if not better, than my 1 mbps 3G connection, because the LTE pings are much lower than the 3G pings. For some reason, in the outter Charlotte area, Sprint has yet to figure out how to get 3G pings to be consistently below 150 ms. When I am on a congested LTE tower in my area, I am still able to pull sub-100 ms pings, which leads to a better experience than 150+ ms ping 3G.

I wasn't speaking out of pure opinion, but experience as well. The only time that 3G feels faster than LTE for me is when my LTE pings are higher than my 3G pings. And in a market that has the 3G ping problem that I stated, that is not very often.

-Anthony

• Like 2

I am in slow LTE areas all the time. My home area is basically at the edge of where Sprint actively tries to cover in Charlotte, and two Sprint sites are shared among my entire town (population ~12,000). 1 mbps LTE works about as well, if not better, than my 1 mbps 3G connection, because the LTE pings are much lower than the 3G pings. For some reason, in the outter Charlotte area, Sprint has yet to figure out how to get 3G pings to be consistently below 150 ms. When I am on a congested LTE tower in my area, I am still able to pull sub-100 ms pings, which leads to a better experience than 150+ ms ping 3G.

I wasn't speaking out of pure opinion, but experience as well. The only time that 3G feels faster than LTE for me is when my LTE pings are higher than my 3G pings. And in a market that has the 3G ping problem that I stated, that is not very often.

-Anthony

Ah I get you. 3G pings for me are often under 100 in my area. And so is LTE even if the towers are crawling under 0.5 mbps it still has some of the best ping times.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

From our S4GRU members data usage poll thread, here is another interesting statistic. Yesterday, I reported that approximately the top 10 percent of data users exceed 23 GB, and that top 10 percent make up at least 43 percent of total data usage.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6319-marcelo-claure-town-hall-meetings-new-family-share-pack-plan-unlimited-individual-plan-discussion-thread/?p=451445

I went back and reran the calculations. This time, though, I took out of the equation the first 23 GB for the top 10 percent. With the first 23 GB removed, the additional data usage that now could be subject to prioritization account for at least 27 percent of total data usage. And I say "at least" because we cannot reliably estimate how much data the 90+ GB users are consuming. It could be pushing from the GB range to the TB range.

So, the actual data usage beyond 23 GB could exceed 30 percent of total data usage. That is a sobering statistic. If prioritization greatly slows down that additional usage, deters it, or causes those users to churn, then other users could feel a significant difference in network performance.

AJ

My head just exploded reading this. That is crazy.
  • Like 1

Just to add to this conversation.. T-Mobile had a 21GB limit before deprioritization happened, but raised that limit to 23GB a few months ago. They claimed the limit will follow data usage trends. So I would assume Sprint is doing the same thing, and that the data usage by heavy users is similar on both networks.

I thought it was just all a game. T-mobile decided to de-prioritize at 21gb, then AT&T decided legacy customers on old unlimited plans would see similar treatment at 22gb (which was a huge upgrade from getting throttled at 5gb or whatever amount they did before). So of course now Sprint one ups them by going with 23gb.

• Like 1

My head just exploded reading this. That is crazy.

AJ

I just read on Reddit that this guy is switching from Sprint to Verizon because of the "23GB" limit. Kind of ironic, because they're going to a carrier that enforces stronger limits, mainly out of spite. Not much logic there.

My guess is he might be planning on Verizon's holiday promotions, which while I'm unsure of how they'll definitely be, I'll go ahead and speculate, seeing as I'm the resident rate plan analyst here on S4GRU.

Verizon has given quite a bit more data in their data buckets over the past year, for the same price in their already overpriced rate plans, that I don't expect too much of a shift in that over the holidays, but rather a drop in the per line rate. Keeping in mind Sprint and T-Mobile are likely to beat these rates in their holiday promotions, which their current rates are not meant to compare with the holiday promotional rates I'm going to speculate on what Verizon "might" offer.

I'm guessing three different holiday promotional plans, though more likely there only will be two. Those two I'm thinking most likely to be 15gb for $75 monthly, temporarily replacing 12gb for $80 monthly. The next likely to be 20gb for $100 monthly, replacing 18gb for $100 monthly. The third I'm not so much inclined to think will happen, though it might be meant to compete with AT&T if they were to offer a double data promotion, is 30gb for $120 monthly, whereas last year's AT&T double data promotion was 30gb for $130.

My main thought though, despite the two holiday promotional plans I think is likely, since those aren't much of a change from the normal offerings whereas last year's holiday promotions were, Verizon may make the bigger deal in a "cut your line cost in half" sort of deal, where these holiday promotional plans, and likely only them, will lower the per line cost down from $20 monthly each line, to $10 monthly each line. This ought to be seen as a pretty big deal and a major selling point for Verizon over the holidays, if indeed they do offer this.

So back to speaking about the guy on Reddit. If he only has one line, and my speculation is correct, he'll be paying $110 monthly for 20gb and one line, plus device fees. Add in the 3gb to match Sprint's deprioritizing point, that is an additional $45, totaling $155 monthly plus device costs. Twice as expensive as Sprint, all to avoid what likely at most would be 20ms of slower loading time.

I know some people will claim some of my ideas here as fantasy, etc., backing their claims against me as unrealistic.

They are fantasy, Arysyn.  You are like Brian Regan making unrealistic demands of a tow truck company…

Sprint, here is what I am gonna let you do for me.  Densify your network.  Buy 600 MHz spectrum.  Sell your PCS spectrum.  Improve your average data speeds -- even under congestion.  Increase your data tier quotas.  Lower your data tier prices.  And remain a viable, competitive business.  Take it or leave it, Sprint.

No.  Can.  Do.

AJ

• Like 5

They are fantasy, Arysyn. You are like Brian Regan making unrealistic demands of a tow truck company…

Sprint, here is what I am gonna let you do for me. Densify your network. Buy 600 MHz spectrum. Sell your PCS spectrum. Improve your average data speeds -- even under congestion. Increase your data tier quotas. Lower your data tier prices. And remain a viable, competitive business. Take it or leave it, Sprint.

No. Can. Do.

AJ

AJ, you quoted only a few lines of my post, then wrote a response based on that entirely out of context. The post I made was very in-depth explaining why I have differing ideas than others, yet I'm not writing them to be critical, nor argumentative.

However, I don't think some of the responses I've had by a few people here have been fair to me, as all I've done is to share my opinions, not to force anyone to agree with them. The unfairness is when I'm ridiculed for it, which I've politely asked time and time again to those people who have to just ignore me, if they can't respond to me politely. I'm fine with disagreement, but not when people use my opinions as an opportunity to belittle me.

I've also asked the staff numerous times that if I can't get that simple request for respect, to delete my account, because everyone on a forum who at least abides by the rules, remains respectful of others, and shares an opinion which is not attacking, belittling, unfair to others, etc, should be welcome and allowed to be a part of without the bullying from others.

I am glad at least most people on this site have been respectful of me, but I'll ask again, if you cannot, please just ignore me. If the staff here can't respect my right to expect that from here, than just delete my account. I haven't been spiteful towards others here, and I don't deserve spite towards me.

Edit note :

I've never made "demands" on Sprint. I've only written ideas/opinions I have, which apparently isn't allowed to be said here, without being misconstrued. Again, I fully explained things in my previous post, and really think this issue should be dropped. If my opinions are a problem, despite all being well intentioned, please delete my account. Otherwise, lets just move on, please.

AJ, you quoted only a few lines of my post, then wrote a response based on that entirely out of context. The post I made was very in-depth explaining why I have differing ideas than others, yet I'm not writing them to be critical, nor argumentative.

Nope, I am not quoting just one of your posts.  That is only for reference sake.  Rather, I am summarizing many of your fantastical missives that have seemingly no grounding in logistics, engineering, economics, etc.  You hatch proposals that appear to be based upon your wants and needs, your notions of fairness and future possibility -- but those proposals have no clear connection to reality.  S4GRU members constantly tell you that.  Then, you get defensive.

I like you.  Others do, too.  This is not an attack upon you.  It is serious, sometimes humorous criticism of your wild eyed ideas.  For an analogy, the sidewalk preacher on the street corner shouting directives to passersby might be wise to listen to the vast majority telling him that his ideas are crazy -- because they probably are crazy.

AJ

• Like 7

Really though Arysyn, I think the only issue here is that your posts are overly longwinded and therefore come across as 'argument by avalanche' rather than a discussion. So when someone doesn't reply to your whole post it is mostly because they didn't want the full Anandtech-esque article (long) version of your thoughts on the subject. It is hard to take a discussion seriously when someone continually posts about 5-10 subjects in one mini-novella and then repeats himself at the end. I think many of the replies to you have been pretty fair but no one wants to take the time to write a full dissertation that addresses all your points/non points to your satisfaction

I don't mean this as a personal attack at all but you remind me of my roommate in college who used to take adderall and just slam out pages and pages of material for his psychology (kinda ironic) courses.

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

- Shakespeare

-Michael Scott

-cletus

• Like 12

Verizon is exempt from all common sense and reasoning. Didn't you know? Even Magentans sometimes defend them.

Speaking of spite, it's funny how that actually works:

"F#&k you (insert carrier here), I'm going to Verizon!"

Said carrier: Ha! One less person hogging my deployed spectrum for the upcoming customers!  

;)

• Like 2

Really though Arysyn, I think the only issue here is that your posts are overly longwinded and therefore come across as 'argument by avalanche' rather than a discussion. So when someone doesn't reply to your whole post it is mostly because they didn't want the full Anandtech-esque article (long) version of your thoughts on the subject. It is hard to take a discussion seriously when someone continually posts about 5-10 subjects in one mini-novella and then repeats himself at the end. I think many of the replies to you have been pretty fair but no one wants to take the time to write a full dissertation that addresses all your points/non points to your satisfaction

I don't mean this as a personal attack at all but you remind me of my roommate in college who used to take adderall and just slam out pages and pages of material for his psychology (kinda ironic) courses.

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

- Shakespeare

-Michael Scott

-cletus

Cletus, no offense taken here. You've posted in agreement and in disagreement with me in various threads, and you've always written well respectfully, regardless if you've agreed with me or not.

I have tried to shorten my posts, though I admit I haven't been able to do that always. One thing about it is triggered by how much I think about something, which like your roommate, could be linked to the medication I am on. I tried explaining this here on the site some months ago, but I received criticism for mentioning about my health here. I am on daily doses of Morphine and Fentanyl for near chhronic pain, due to my severe neuropathy.

• Like 1

Let them go ahead and pay $100 for 18gb. I guess they won't be de-prioritized. ????

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk