Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Ouch, got in on a glaring issue as it stands with Sprint

The Kentucky Derby is over so Marcelo should look into this and see what's up. John Legere and Mike Sievert are clearly milking this as far as it can go.

• Like 1

He isn't wrong. 3 billion in capex is too low.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Why do people keep referencing 3b capex, when Marcelo himself said, thats a moving target and it can easily balloon depending on permit approvals.
  • Like 6

Why do people keep referencing 3b capex, when Marcelo himself said, thats a moving target and it can easily balloon depending on permit approvals.

Because 3 billion is the estimate they gave.

• Like 3

Why not just say we have put aside 10billion for capex?

Just saying 3 billion makes everyone go "oh no, here we go again"

A publicly traded company can't legally just make up figures like that, especially if they vary by $7 Billion.

• Like 7

Why not just say we have put aside 10billion for capex?

Just saying 3 billion makes everyone go "oh no, here we go again"

Because Sprint has history of throwing money at problems with not so great results. At least now we know now they are being a lot more scrutinizing in their spending.
  • Like 3

Because Sprint has history of throwing money at problems with not so great results. At least now we know now they are being a lot more scrutinizing in their spending.

Right. And more importantly, Sprint is going to get more than its money's worth on this build given Marcelo's, Tarek's, John Saw's and Gunther's oversight. As has been said many times, the economics of this build are much different than what's been traditionally done. Analysts and pundits have a hard time appreciating that because their thinking is stuck on the economics and costs of using traditional tower companies and procedures. I think we'll all be surprised at the speed and cost efficiency with which this is accomplished.

• Like 4

I'm not particularly concerned with the estimated capex, I just want Sprint to meet their promise of putting 800, 1900, and 2500MHz LTE on every site (IBEZ excluded). If they can do that this year and get a reasonable amount of small cells up in the major markets, I'll be happy.

• Like 6

We should call this what it feels like, this is a Sprint survival move. I don't believe this is under promising and over achieving or some strategic move. PS: I do not want Sprint to fail. No one wins with 3 carriers except big business.

• Like 2

Right. And more importantly, Sprint is going to get more than its money's worth on this build given Marcelo's, Tarek's, John Saw's and Gunther's oversight. As has been said many times, the economics of this build are much different than what's been traditionally done. Analysts and pundits have a hard time appreciating that because their thinking is stuck on the economics and costs of using traditional tower companies and procedures. I think we'll all be surprised at the speed and cost efficiency with which this is accomplished.

I hope you're right. However just looking at the report about small cells in Orlando is kinda deflating.

Only time will tell and sprint has come a long way just not far enough yet. Hopefully this summer brings good weather and no misfortunes which could cause further delays

• Like 1

We should call this what it feels like, this is a Sprint survival move. I don't believe this is under promising and over achieving or some strategic move. PS: I do not want Sprint to fail. No one wins with 3 carriers except big business.

No one is saying it isn't a survival move. Everything Sprint has done since Hesse has been a survival move. We all know that and to deny it is pretty dumb.

• Like 3

It's still 2016 and Sprint is still talking about permitting. I'd rather they risk everything to move fast. If that means they step on a few toes, so be it. Better to beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission. Sprint people need to be deploying small cells as if their lives depend on it. This time, that may just be the case. Most of them go away if Masa gets his way and has T-Mobile or if there is a C11 in the future.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's still 2016 and Sprint is still talking about permitting. I'd rather they risk everything to move fast. If that means they step on a few toes, so be it. Better to beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission. Sprint people need to be deploying small cells as if their lives depend on it. This time, that may just be the case. Most of them go away if Masa gets his way and has T-Mobile or if there is a C11 in the future.

I have seen ton of permits and info on small cell being installed and going up in many different markets, 2nd carrier+CA got deployed at a pretty fast pace. Finally 3rd carrier has been coming online in many markets. I honestly do not know how much more they can do especially knowing Sprint's financial situation...

Has the pendulum swung back to "Sprint is Doomed!" already? That was fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Has the pendulum swung back to "Sprint is Doomed!" already? That was fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really care what others say. I look at the balance sheet and the investor material and make my determination from there.

Sprint is making headway on churn and network, but if liquidity becomes an issue, then those positives are a moot point.

• Like 2

I don't really care what others say. I look at the balance sheet and the investor material and make my determination from there.

Sprint is making headway on churn and network, but if liquidity becomes an issue, then those positives are a moot point.

These are important issues but remember the product they are sell and what they are competing on is the network. If price is the only reason so one would choose Sprint, Sprint is doomed. They need to make the investment in the network to make the fastest network with the greatest capacity claim and i dont think they can pull it off by slashing CAPEX for positive cash flow.

These are important issues but remember the product they are sell and what they are competing on is the network. If price is the only reason so one would choose Sprint, Sprint is doomed. They need to make the investment in the network to make the fastest network with the greatest capacity claim and i dont think they can pull it off by slashing CAPEX for positive cash flow.

I agree and I think Sprint has to take the risk of more capex to pull ahead of competitors in network speeds. I am taking a long term view here.

Short term, hold on to your butts.

• Like 2

I agree and I think Sprint has to take the risk of more capex to pull ahead of competitors in network speeds. I am taking a long term view here.

Agreed.

This is the United States we're talking about. You don't make big profit without risk. And whenever you look at companies that swung back around, they took risks. Just looking at Cingular's iPhone deal and T-Mobile's plan of Uncarrier and buying MetroPCS, they took risks. Sprint took major risks too, and they've been burned. Nextel, WiMAX - the reasons they're in this situation. But they pulled through and they're still alive, and they know what they gotta do. They can't keep saying we have the fastest speeds in some areas and hope that brings postpaid adds, they gotta put their money on the table, densify at extraordinary rates, and let their LOYAL customers do the talking. A lot of customers who've been around say "you get what you pay for" or "it's just okay", and they get mad when they're burned by lack of deals. T-Mobile's Uncarrier gives everyone gifts and that's why their satisfaction is so high. Not saying I want free stuff, but knowing my data is cheap and the network is 8x faster than my wifi all across NYC would be reason for me to get all my friends to switch, as opposed to "it depends where you are/what you do"

• Like 2

Just thinking, if sprint would have bought metro where would they be now?

Where would Tmo be?

Wow......

Altell, and metro if only sprint would have when the chance was there!

• Like 2

Just thinking, if sprint would have bought metro where would they be now?

Where would Tmo be?

Wow......

Altell, and metro if only sprint would have when the chance was there!

They'd be down 9 Million customers and a bit of spectrum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint could arguably be in a much better place if they never bought Nextel and only bought Clear, AWS

They should have been allowed to merge with tmobile.

• Like 2