Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

You need to run .15

Then enable band 41 and set it as the priority before the prl trick works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So if you are running digiblurs Prl update... You can't connect to 41?

Meaning is the Prl update needed at reboot to connect at all?

if you have a custom prl loaded on the nexus 5, you will have to avoid using the prl update.

You can still switch airplane mode off.

All that happens in either case, is force the phone to rescan for a signal and hopefully connect to b41.

if you are running .15, it will connect automatically when the b41 signal is better than a b25 signal.

if you have a custom prl loaded on the nexus 5, you will have to avoid using the prl update.

All that happens in either case, is force the phone to rescan for a signal and hopefully connect to b41.

if you are running .15, it will connect automatically when the b41 signal is better than a b25 signal.

I have seen mixed results regarding when b41 has stronger signal strength. I have had most luck when I lost small cell coverage. I think it can be dependent on market. As the prl/profile updates did't work for me in the same area .15 would work, and vise versa. 

You need to run .15

Then enable band 41 and set it as the priority before the prl trick works.

I'm running .23 and can connect just fine down in Orlando. Will .23 not allow B41 connections in Chicago?

Please do a prl/profile update, remove the battery and power your phone off...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  No Phones were harmed in the making of this post.  Make sure that you use a flat head screwdriver!! :tu:

On a side note: the G Flex seems to perform better in my ECSFB area but maybe because it is already spark enabled?

Toggling airplane mode will NOT force a band re-scan. Initiating a PRL update will. On any device. And don't forget that if you use .15, you are susceptible to issues with telephone calls while on LTE.

I have seen mixed results regarding when b41 has stronger signal strength. I have had most luck when I lost small cell coverage. I think it can be dependent on market. As the prl/profile updates did't work for me in the same area .15 would work, and vise versa. 

Don't bother with a profile update, the PRL update is all that is necessary for this "trick", because all you are trying to do is force a band re-scan.

-Mike

When I did it (the prl trick on the .15 baseband), it seemed dependent on which tower I was trying to connect to. The tower near my parents house in LA allowed me to connect pretty easily. I went down to Orange County and tried a tower near John Wayne Airport and a tower in Tustin, where I live, (both supposedly B41 accepted, 1 in at the end of May last year and 1 at the end of December last year) and neither of them connected. I had strong Band 25 signals at all three locations, so that didn't matter to me. Of course, I don't personally know anyone else with a triband phone, so I don't even know if those towers in the OC are really working or not.

Don't bother with a profile update, the PRL update is all that is necessary for this "trick", because all you are trying to do is force a band re-scan.

-Mike

When I would do a profile update it changes the mode to global, and then it would rescan all LTE bands. I connected to b41 on .15 from doing one, as well as just doing an airplane toggle.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: No Phones were harmed in the making of this post. Make sure that you use a flat head screwdriver!! :tu:

And have a heat gun/hair dryer handy. There's some adhesive at the bottom. ;)
  • Like 1

Toggling airplane mode will NOT force a band re-scan. Initiating a PRL update will. On any device. And don't forget that if you use .15, you are susceptible to issues with telephone calls while on LTE.

-Mike

When I would do a profile update it changes the mode to global, and then it would rescan all LTE bands. I connected to b41 on .15 from doing one, as well as just doing an airplane toggle.

Airplane mode may not force a rescan, but I have experienced the same as Jeremy. Perhaps coincidence and it would have connect to b41 anyway, who knows.

I believe also it is possible to force rescan by switching between global and LTE modes.

Airplane mode may not force a rescan, but I have experienced the same as Jeremy. Perhaps coincidence and it would have connect to b41 anyway, who knows.

I believe also it is possible to force rescan by switching between global and LTE modes.

I think being in global mode was the only way I saw b41, but it was on .15 most of the time I just switched back to the others to test them out. I like .15 the best so I've stuck with it. And I only keep it on global when in town, and not at home as it keeps searching for LTE and drops 3g/1x

All I know is that I have been on 15 for a few weeks and on LTE recommended mode, and b41 will connect by itself in the few areas where the b41 signal outweighs the b25 signal. It just won't prefer a weaker b41 over b25.

I wasn't trying to say that a profile update wouldn't do a band rescan, but just that both a PRL and subsequent profile update were not necessary, as they would both trigger what you are ultimately trying to do; there is no need to do it twice. In my experience, doing a profile update alters your LTE band priorities as well, which is why I would avoid it for "Spark hopping" purposes.

If airplane toggling worked, a band rescan wasn't necessary in your situation. That action does not do any sort of frequency scanning.. it just turns the radio off and then on again. That's typically enough to force an immediate switch to LTE on the same frequency the phone was previously on (i.e. EV-DO 1900 to LTE 1900), but that alone will not force a switch in bands (i.e. CDMA 1X 1900 to CDMA 1X 800).

I'm interested what Global vs. LTE mode actually does, but when I was investigating it a couple of months ago, the only effect while on the Sprint network seemed to be switching the equivalent options in the Radio Info screen from "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" to "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)". The 1X option correlates to "CDMA only" and the 3G option is "CDMA auto (PRL)". I don't have any LTE band 26 or 41 in my area to test yet, but I have yet to see any changing of these options force a move from CDMA 1900 to 800. I mess around with it quite often while testing my app.

-Mike

I wasn't trying to say that a profile update wouldn't do a band rescan, but just that both a PRL and subsequent profile update were not necessary, as they would both trigger what you are ultimately trying to do; there is no need to do it twice. In my experience, doing a profile update alters your LTE band priorities as well, which is why I would avoid it for "Spark hopping" purposes.

If airplane toggling worked, a band rescan wasn't necessary in your situation. That action does not do any sort of frequency scanning.. it just turns the radio off and then on again. That's typically enough to force an immediate switch to LTE on the same frequency the phone was previously on (i.e. EV-DO 1900 to LTE 1900), but that alone will not force a switch in bands (i.e. CDMA 1X 1900 to CDMA 1X 800).

I'm interested what Global vs. LTE mode actually does, but when I was investigating it a couple of months ago, the only effect while on the Sprint network seemed to be switching the equivalent options in the Radio Info screen from "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" to "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)". The 1X option correlates to "CDMA only" and the 3G option is "CDMA auto (PRL)". I don't have any LTE band 26 or 41 in my area to test yet, but I have yet to see any changing of these options force a move from CDMA 1900 to 800. I mess around with it quite often while testing my app.

-Mike

Oh I just put prl/profile update to signify I do both, not back to back. But I wonder if global also scans all LTE bands?

Oh I just put prl/profile update to signify I do both, not back to back. But I wonder if global also scans all LTE bands?

Yeah I does, it scans GSM and CDMA bands(I've watched the engineering screen in LTE signal areas while it's searching for signal). I leave my phone on global usually, don't really know why but I prefer it over LTE (recommended) lol.

Yeah I does, it scans GSM and CDMA bands(I've watched the engineering screen in LTE signal areas while it's searching for signal). I leave my phone on global usually, don't really know why but I prefer it over LTE (recommended) lol.

yeah I fond it though at my home(low signal,and have an airave) it gets stuck on a searching for signal state. It is weird. And then sometimes it says available network unavailable(T-Mobile) even with a spring Sim in. Pretty glitchy but bearable

yeah I fond it though at my home(low signal,and have an airave) it gets stuck on a searching for signal state. It is weird. And then sometimes it says available network unavailable(T-Mobile) even with a spring Sim in. Pretty glitchy but bearable

I don't have an airave(we don't have internet to waste on it when signal isn't that bad really), but mine has gotten stuck on searching for like 5 minutes and said connected to at&t LTE in the engineering screen(I've never had another Sim in mine, and I got it at the sprint store...). Sadly it requires a reboot to fix, not just an airplane toggle. However its amusing and it doesn't happen that often so I don't mind :P

I don't have an airave(we don't have internet to waste on it and signal isn't that bad really), but mine has gotten stuck on searching for like 5 minutes and said connected to at&t LTE in the engineering screen(I've never had another Sim in mine, and I got it at the sprint store...). Sadly it requires a reboot to fix, not just an airplane toggle. However its amusing and it doesn't happen that often so I don't mind :P

I actually park mine in 3g preferred a lot too, in the fringe LTE areas it saves a lot of battery life.

I don't have an airave(we don't have internet to waste on it when signal isn't that bad really), but mine has gotten stuck on searching for like 5 minutes and said connected to at&t LTE in the engineering screen(I've never had another Sim in mine, and I got it at the sprint store...). Sadly it requires a reboot to fix, not just an airplane toggle. However its amusing and it doesn't happen that often so I don't mind :P

yeah I found out ATT has band 2 LTE here, which is PCS LTE. They have plenty of PCs for it too.

Random question, has anyone else noticed a random on and off delay of texts while streaming music (I use Pandora) on the .15 baseband? Normally it drops and picks up like a charm but occasionally it likes to just stop allowing texts to be sent.

Random question, has anyone else noticed a random on and off delay of texts while streaming music (I use Pandora) on the .15 baseband? Normally it drops and picks up like a charm but occasionally it likes to just stop allowing texts to be sent.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

are you streaming on LTE or evdo?