LTE only area?

3g.pnglte.png

When I look at Boost's coverage map and found the LTE area are extreamly large. Little bit curious. So I switch LTE on an off. It appear to me that there are places where you have LTE coverage but not voice(CDMA) coverage. How does that happend?

The best I have been able to come up with is that the LTE coverage maps are projecting what 800MHz LTE will cover when the deployment is done. The maps are not at all representative of current band 25 coverage.

I have to disagree the Sprint coverage maps around where I live is just about the same as the voice/data (3G) coverage as before.... We wont get 800 here for a while, the LTE coverage covers a little more but not much..  All of these cell phone companies coverage maps are awful I think.  

Could be just to show you that down the line coverage will be better. What I think Sprint should really do is somehow use crowd coverage from Sensorly and show real data as their current map is pretty lame and isn't always true.

attachicon.gif3g.pngattachicon.giflte.png

When I look at Boost's coverage map and found the LTE area are extreamly large. Little bit curious. So I switch LTE on an off. It appear to me that there are places where you have LTE coverage but not voice(CDMA) coverage. How does that happend?

so the op says that coverage map is correct and you all say its wrong and don't answer the question lol 

the question was why would there be lte coverage in an area but not voice 

it happens because of the propagation differences between the frequencies, also LTE could be off one tower without obstructions  and the voice on another without a clear line of site. the areas not covered may have a higher altitude or be in a valley..  

the coverage maps are a conglomerate of what every tower is doing...best case scenarios.  what the tower will do if perfectly set up.   it doesn't ever bring into account obstacles and its impossible to see which tower a signal is being broadcast from .  that's why its notoriously bad to use. but at the same time as you have seen you can find potential anomalies and the only way to tell is to test it like you did..  not just dismiss it completely 

it would be great tool if you could turn on and off towers to see the effect on the map. but alas it doesnt..  

so the op says that coverage map is correct and you all say its wrong and don't answer the question lol  the question was why would there be lte coverage in an area but not voice  it happens because of the propagation differences between the frequencies, also LTE could be off one tower without obstructions  and the voice on another without a clear line of site. the areas not covered may have a higher altitude or be in a valley..   the coverage maps are a conglomerate of what every tower is doing...best case scenarios.  what the tower will do if perfectly set up.   it doesn't ever bring into account obstacles and its impossible to see which tower a signal is being broadcast from .  that's why its notoriously bad to use. but at the same time as you have seen you can find potential anomalies and the only way to tell is to test it like you did..  not just dismiss it completely  it would be great tool if you could turn on and off towers to see the effect on the map. but alas it doesnt..

But LTE is known for having a slight bit less coverage than voice/EVDO. So the exaggerating LTE coverage part kind of does answer why it has LTE only parts. 1x in my experience has always been farther reaching than LTE because LTE kicks of around 115-130 on Devices, because data is no longer usable.

Out of all the carries Sprint has the best zoom level tool, T-mobile now that they ONLY show there 4G/3G in pink its awful there old maps were much better, At&t is not any better, and Vzw doesn't show you much of anything when you zoom in (I think they are the worst, alls they care to show you is "yes your covered" basically.  

• Like 1

Here's a better question: What are you using to view coverage in your area? It definately isn't the coverage maps on Sprint's website. Sprint uses RED to show LTE coverage and they use PURPLE for 3G coverage. And they don't have those checkboxes at the top of the map in your post.

If you are using a 3rd-party coverage tool, odds are they have the coverage colors mislabled. What you think you're seeing as LTE coverage is really 3G coverage and vice verca, if my theory is true.

-Anthony

Here's a better question: What are you using to view coverage in your area? It definately isn't the coverage maps on Sprint's website. Sprint uses RED to show LTE coverage and they use PURPLE for 3G coverage. And they don't have those checkboxes at the top of the map in your post.

If you are using a 3rd-party coverage tool, odds are they have the coverage colors mislabled. What you think you're seeing as LTE coverage is really 3G coverage and vice verca, if my theory is true.

-Anthony

I always thought it was orange.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

• Like 2

so the op says that coverage map is correct and you all say its wrong and don't answer the question lol 

the question was why would there be lte coverage in an area but not voice 

it happens because of the propagation differences between the frequencies, also LTE could be off one tower without obstructions  and the voice on another without a clear line of site. the areas not covered may have a higher altitude or be in a valley..  

the coverage maps are a conglomerate of what every tower is doing...best case scenarios.  what the tower will do if perfectly set up.   it doesn't ever bring into account obstacles and its impossible to see which tower a signal is being broadcast from .  that's why its notoriously bad to use. but at the same time as you have seen you can find potential anomalies and the only way to tell is to test it like you did..  not just dismiss it completely 

it would be great tool if you could turn on and off towers to see the effect on the map. but alas it doesnt..  

When NV,shouldn't lte be on the same system as 1X?

This thread is so painful to read. Although I did hope it would do something form this insomnia.

Nope!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

attachicon.gif3g.pngattachicon.giflte.png

There could be a new tower there that someone at Sprint forgot to add in for 3G but did for LTE.

This thread is so painful to read. Although I did hope it would do something form this insomnia.

Nope!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Well if you ever find yourself in Insomnia land again, just come back to this thread and stare at the picture below.

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy.

hypnosiswatch.gif

But LTE is known for having a slight bit less coverage than voice/EVDO. So the exaggerating LTE coverage part kind of does answer why it has LTE only parts. 1x in my experience has always been farther reaching than LTE because LTE kicks of around 115-130 on Devices, because data is no longer usable.

thats true but since there is no way to tell on that map which towers it says is influencing the markings on the map you cant tell if its because of signal propagation or obstacles from less distant tower ... and we are seeing the signal from a more distant tower that we never ever thought of.  

if the map let us select and deselect towers we could then guess a little better.. but it doesn't and it wont ever thats why the map is so absolutely frustrating 

When NV,shouldn't lte be on the same system as 1X?

on that Site...

but what if you are getting LTE on one tower but 1X on another that happens alot... even when both towers have LTE sometimes a different site has better conditions angle of the panels no big tree in the way... a hill etc