Saphire glass? Next iPhone?

jamisonshaw125

CLICK ME

Looks like apple is in the works for something.  Although probably many many months off.... A sapphire glass screen would be something quite interesting for protecting against screen damage being that it is the falls into the second hardest substance category on the Mohs scale. No more ugly phone cases.

I am not sure how strong the new gorilla glass is, but could compare? 

CLICK ME

Looks like apple is in the works for something.  Although probably many many months off.... A sapphire glass screen would be something quite interesting for protecting against screen damage being that it is the falls into the second hardest substance category on the Mohs scale. No more ugly phone cases.

"Gorilla Glass" is just marketing language and even though its more dense than standard glass it is still glass and while it may protect against everyday items like keys, coins and minor bumps and scrapes it will not stand a chance against any type of sand/silica which by the way is probably the cause of 95% of all screen scratches.  A sapphire screen would be awesome but I wonder how much of an additional cost that will be but whatever it is, I know it ain't cheap.

• Like 1

I don't know. Only time will tell if this will end up in the next iPhone. It would be cool, that's for sure.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Are they using gorilla glass 3 on any of the new devices? Lg g2? etc. Was wondering if anyone has unfortunately dropped their phone and to how hard lol

Are they using gorilla glass 3 on any of the new devices? Lg g2? etc. Was wondering if anyone has unfortunately dropped their phone and to how hard lol

I would say most phones are dropped from the waist or so area.  So from that distance the only thing that might save you would be if it dropped on some nice plush carpeting but any where else and more than likely the screen will shatter especially if it falls on an angle which it probably will.

The problem with sapphire is that despite its relative scratch resistance, it is much easier to shatter than the treated glass available today.

I see a potential future for sapphire, but only if it is possible for it to be reinforced. Perhaps a hybrid glass/sapphire screen would have favorable characteristics for shattering and scratches.

• Like 1

"Gorilla Glass" is just marketing language and even though its more dense than standard glass it is still glass and while it may protect against everyday items like keys, coins and minor bumps and scrapes it will not stand a chance against any type of sand/silica which by the way is probably the cause of 95% of all screen scratches.  A sapphire screen would be awesome but I wonder how much of an additional cost that will be but whatever it is, I know it ain't cheap.

What peaked my interest in sapphire is this video demo of a company that makes sapphire screen protectors pulling a concrete block across an iPhone with their screen protector on it.  Scratch-resistant isn't necessarily shatter-resistant, so I'll leave it to the review sites to handle the drop tests.

I actually don't have a screen protector on my iPhone 5, and (knock on wood) it still has a pristine face, even though at times my phone has been in the same pocket as my keys or knife.

What peaked my interest in sapphire is this video demo of a company that makes sapphire screen protectors pulling a concrete block across an iPhone with their screen protector on it. Scratch-resistant isn't necessarily shatter-resistant, so I'll leave it to the review sites to handle the drop tests.

I actually don't have a screen protector on my iPhone 5, and (knock on wood) it still has a pristine face, even though at times my phone has been in the same pocket as my keys or knife.

That's why I keep mine in a case! And when I take it out of the otterbox, I put a screen protector on it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

What is the only thing that survives the plane crash?  "The black box."  Why not make the screen or even the entire handset out of "the black box"?

AJ

• Like 5

That's why I keep mine in a case! And when I take it out of the otterbox, I put a screen protector on it.

I do keep it in a case, but it only covers the sides and back. I also have an Otterbox Defender that I use when at the farm.

What is the only thing that survives the plane crash?  "The black box."  Why not make the screen or even the entire handset out of "the black box"?

AJ

I do believe that would make the phone heavy and bulky as heck.

BlackBox.gif

TS out (wrapping my phone in bubble wrap)

CLICK ME

that plant is right down the street from me...

in theory the sapphire is supposed to be more scratch resistant.. but i believe the gorrila glass is more shatter resistant

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Well obviously they would throw a new chip in it. I am more looking forward to the sapphire glass screen and for those who like bigger phones, the bigger size might snatch up some android users.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Well obviously they would throw a new chip in it. I am more looking forward to the sapphire glass screen and for those who like bigger phones, the bigger size might snatch up some android users.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I am too.  I am glad to see that Apple aligned themselves with another company to produce the chip. 

How do Sprint phone upgrades work?  My 2-yr contract on my iPhone 5 is up in October.  If Apple releases a new iPhone in, say August, will I be able to get it then without penalty or will I have to wait until October to get it?

How do Sprint phone upgrades work?  My 2-yr contract on my iPhone 5 is up in October.  If Apple releases a new iPhone in, say August, will I be able to get it then without penalty or will I have to wait until October to get it?

You'd have to wait till you were eligible for upgrade with rebate. Best way to see is to log into your Sprint.com account, and check the status.

My biggest question will the new iPhone be Spark enabled. Plus a screen size 5.2 or more would be fantastic.

It's hard to say. But if the trend continues, the body will change to something new for the next iteration. Probably a little bigger. I don't want a bigger phone. This phone is the perfect size. All I want is band 41 implementation. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO, the iPhone 5s is pretty perfect. I don't understand this fascination with massive android phones. I also own a g2, and after trying to use it for 10 minutes with one hand, I get a cramp. The only android device that feels pretty good in the hand to me is the nexus 5. It's a good size, and has a rubber feel for a good grip.

You'd have to wait till you were eligible for upgrade with rebate. Best way to see is to log into your Sprint.com account, and check the status.

Speaking of status, I noticed that if one is on One Up or Easy Pay, it seems that you cannot see your contract details online. It states to go to the store. Are they ever going to get that fixed or is that's how it going to be from this point on?

TS

Speaking of status, I noticed that if one is on One Up or Easy Pay, it seems that you cannot see your contract details online. It states to go to the store. Are they ever going to get that fixed or is that's how it going to be from this point on?

TS

Technically there are no contract details, just how much/many payments are left. Hopefully they will update it soon,

Technically there are no contract details, just how much/many payments are left. Hopefully they will update it soon,

TS

They started posting payment/balance status of my devices on my last bill. I hope they will just add it online too at some near point in the future.