New San Diego market equipment problems?

Good morning everyone,

We've been experiencing some interesting problems in San Diego over the last few weeks - persistent voice and data outages all over the county. SprintCommunity.com's customer-care reps have attributed the problem to OEM issues and have acknowledged the county-wide nature of the outages here, here, here and here. This is a typical response:

Thank you for the posts. I wanted to give a follow up answer to what was posted earlier and let you know a little bit more about the situation in San Diego. Technicians have confirmed that the transmissions from sites in the area have been transmitting erratically (most notably across high speed data bands). Several tickets have been issued and they will be working with the original equipment manufacturer of the transmission components in the area as phones with high speed data have been reporting quite a few errors. We appreciate your patience while the technicians work to get this issue resolved and the afflicted sites back on line and transmitting properly.

For me in particular, it's eight days and counting, and there's still one tower down near my home. My GNex and ZING seem to handle it OK, pulling in a 4G or 3G signal depending upon what's up or down (although this morning our service is voice-only). My wife's GS3, on the other hand, reboots frequently unless I disable LTE in settings.

San Diego is in the IBEZ area and uses Samsung equipment, and is approaching 4G completion. Out of nothing more than curiosity, does anyone have an idea what kinds of problems could be causing voice and data outages across so many towers?

Happy Friday!
John

I don't see how San Diego would have Samsung equipment issues considering the closest Samsung equipment deployment is over 200 miles to the north.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think he is referring to Samsung handsets, but the Zing is Netgear.  Isn't SD Alcatel-Lucent NV OEM?

Should this be moved to the SD market thread?

I don't see how San Diego would have Samsung equipment issues considering the closest Samsung equipment deployment is over 200 miles to the north.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think he is referring to Samsung handsets, but the Zing is Netgear.  Isn't SD Alcatel-Lucent NV OEM?

Thanks for the replies. I'm not referring to my handsets nor to the NV installation contractor. Isn't tower equipment in the IBEZ zones supplied by Samsung? I may be mistaken, but I'm sure someone who's knowledgeable will correct me  :)

Also, I didn't post in the market thread because we're already discussing the fact of the outage in that thread. I posted here because I'm curious about the why of the outage, given it's market-wide scope. It seems a more general question, and all the technical minds all seem to live right here.

Of course, I'll defer to the moderators  ;)

Have fun!

John

Thanks for the replies. I'm not referring to my handsets nor to the NV installation contractor. Isn't tower equipment in the IBEZ zones supplied by Samsung? I may be mistaken, but I'm sure someone who's knowledgeable will correct me  :)

Also, I didn't post in the market thread because we're already discussing the fact of the outage. I posted here because I'm curious about the why of the outage, given it's market-wide scope. It seems a more general question, and all the technical minds all seem to live right here  ;)

Have fun!

John

29xvoti.jpg

This thread title needs an edit and honestly, its an individual market issue, not a Sprint wide issue, so my opinion is it should be moved.

• Like 3

First, San Diego is definitely Alcatel Lucent.  There is no Samsung network equipment being used in that market.  Second, since the problem only exists on your wife's GS3, isn't that the common denominator?

Robert

• Like 1

First, San Diego is definitely Alcatel Lucent.  There is no Samsung network equipment being used in that market.  Second, since the problem only exists on your wife's GS3, isn't that the common denominator?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for clarifying the equipment in our IBEZ area.

Regarding the problem, it's not just on my wife's GS3. As I stated in my first post, today we're voice-only on all devices. Across San Diego there are data outages that I've observed as I travel to various sites in the county. Sprint acknowledges there is an issue with the equipment installed on the towers that primarily impacts 4G service, but also affects 3G and voice. The network maintenance crews are running around town putting out fires.

After many months of a growing 4G footprint in San Diego, and pretty stable service since October, all of a sudden everything has blown up. On community.sprint.com the customer care reps at first were stating the problem was due to the NV rollout or encouraging users to update their PRLs and profiles. Late last week they began to state that there were tower problems.

So could this be a software, firmware or configuration issue in the tower equipment? Bad equipment? IP network problems? I'm curious what kinds of issues could create the outages we're experiencing.

Thanks again,

John

Hi Robert,

Thanks for clarifying the equipment in our IBEZ area.

Regarding the problem, it's not just on my wife's GS3. As I stated in my first post, today we're voice-only on all devices. Across San Diego there are data outages that I've observed as I travel to various sites in the county. Sprint acknowledges there is an issue with the equipment installed on the towers that primarily impacts 4G service, but also affects 3G and voice. The network maintenance crews are running around town putting out fires.

After many months of a growing 4G footprint in San Diego, and pretty stable service since October, all of a sudden everything has blown up. On community.sprint.com the customer care reps at first were stating the problem was due to the NV rollout or encouraging users to update their PRLs and profiles. Late last week they began to state that there were tower problems.

So could this be a software, firmware or configuration issue in the tower equipment? Bad equipment? IP network problems? I'm curious what kinds of issues could create the outages we're experiencing.

Thanks again,

John

Sorry I missed the voice only part.  I read too many posts and sometimes just scan too fast and miss important details.

Whatever it is that you are experiencing, I will say this...

1. Don't trust Sprint customer service at all about any of the details, whatsoever.  It may not be anything like you've been told.  They seem to nearly always be incorrect about whatever the issue is.
  2. We don't know what the issue is.  We have not seen anything like this happen so far before.  So we really have no insight to share about this issue.

This seems to be new ground as far as problems go.  Keep us informed as to what is going on and post back.  And in the future we may have more info to help diagnose this problem again.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Robert

• Like 1

I have been having issues with my GS3 also. The main issue is near SDSU. If i have the phone on LTE mode, It constantly drops signal and displays red X. That happens only in that area and as soon I leave, the signal is good. On the other hand, switching to CDMA only network, resolves all the problems. 

I was on the phone with Sprint representative yesterday and was told that since San Diego market is still new, the towers are getting constantly tweaked. In my case, the tower near SDSU was just enabled at the end of December, but I have been having LTE here for about a year. 

Anyways, I feel your pain. 

The site at my work was 4g accepted last year. Over Christmas, we had 2 week outage for 3G phones only. Our phones were roaming and cycling between 1x Sprint and 3G roaming. 4g phones were not affected. It's all fixed now.

Unrelated to that, I know that AT&T is in the middle of a major speed/capacity upgrade of their uverse fiber lines in San Diego so maybe that is affecting the Sprint sites as well.

I've seen a ton of ATT techs all over Oceanside almost daily since the beginning of December in boxes. They are heavily in my area of Oceanside (Douglas Dr/N. River) from early morning to late night at times. As i mentioned,  I had 2 days of no service at home, and  there are 2 Sprint sites very close by to these neighborhoods ATT is upgrading Uverse cabinets. It seems like Uverse cabinets are at every other block, and intersection. 

att has nothing to do with this. Sprint told me that since SD just got LTE (officially) many of the towers are still getting tweaked and it make take up to a few months. I think that is bull, since I had no issues with having LTE for the past year in my area.

att has nothing to do with this. Sprint told me that since SD just got LTE (officially) many of the towers are still getting tweaked and it make take up to a few months. I think that is bull, since I had no issues with having LTE for the past year in my area.

Since you say what Sprint says is bull, then you can't rule out AT&T. They are a major backhaul provider for Sprint. Although, if 3G is affected on a site, but LTE is not, in my mind it has to be a problem with the routers from Alcatel Lucent or something to do with the Sprint MSC for the area.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Since you say what Sprint says is bull, then you can't rule out AT&T. They are a major backhaul provider for Sprint. Although, if 3G is affected on a site, but LTE is not, in my mind it has to be a problem with the routers from Alcatel Lucent or something to do with the Sprint MSC for the area. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Must be. Here is a link to a thread on sprint forum dealing with exactly the same issues all over SD.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/146620?start=0&tstart=0

Edited by stas333

Very similar issue in a thread in the Samsung device sub forum in AZ, can this be merged into it?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5346-galaxy-s3-goes-into-a-reboot-loop-or-loses-signal-when-connected-to-a-certain-tower/

Hi jefbal99,

It certainly seems similar, doesn't it? MaxPower's problem seems likely to be a tower issue, and the reboot is symptomatic of how the GS3 responds to the outage. But the problem described in this thread affects all kinds of Sprint 4G devices, not just GS3s and not just Samsung. And the problem impacts voice, 3G, 4G and data connectivity.

This particular forum gets a lot of traffic, so I think the amount of eyeballs here will foster more of a discussion than in the SD market or Samsung device threads. But certainly the forum moderators will know what's best  :)

my opinion is it should be moved.

can this be merged into it?

I can sympathize with trying to keep up with new messages in a busy forum. If this thread isn't of interest, perhaps your client software has a function to mute certain threads so that you can more easily focus on what is of particular interest to you?

In any case, I hope that your Monday is going well. Have a great day!

John

Hi jefbal99,

It certainly seems similar, doesn't it? MaxPower's problem seems likely to be a tower issue, and the reboot is symptomatic of how the GS3 responds to the outage. But the problem described in this thread affects all kinds of Sprint 4G devices, not just GS3s and not just Samsung. And the problem impacts voice, 3G, 4G and data connectivity.

This particular forum gets a lot of traffic, so I think the amount of eyeballs here will foster more of a discussion than in the SD market or Samsung device threads. But certainly the forum moderators will know what's best  :)

I can sympathize with trying to keep up with new messages in a busy forum. If this thread isn't of interest, perhaps your client software has a function to mute certain threads so that you can more easily focus on what is of particular interest to you?

In any case, I hope that your Monday is going well. Have a great day!

John

Except there is really no discussion, its either a market issue or a device issue.  There are forums for those discussions that are not the general NV deployment forum.  If there were 50 users popping up say "yup me too" then there is an issue, but there isn't.

I'm going to stop replying to this topic so it can fall off into the archives