Should I save my Upgrade

ab30494

I having a hard time to decide whether i should get a Nexus 5 and save my upgrade and stay off contract for a while. Or Use my upgrade for the GS5 when it comes out?

Save it. Shouldn't be took long before the GS5 comes out. I would honestly just stick with the S3 until and save even more.

I having a hard time to decide whether i should get a Nexus 5 and save my upgrade and stay off contract for a while. Or Use my upgrade for the GS5 when it comes out?

If you really need a device I say get the n5 straight from the play store and just save your upgrade.

don't forget to factor in (or not) the rumor, that is most likely true, about phone subsidies going away in 90 days or less. no phone subsidy = no upgrade.

Ya i wouldn't be surprised, since they are doing that Easy pay thing. I can see the phone subsidy going away. I am starting to side toward the Nexus, since i would always have the latest version of android. And will be off contract. I am not eligible for an upgrade till march. 

Also not having so much bloat on my phone. 

Its not a rumor. There is no displayed 2 year pricing in sprint stores as of this morning. A manager has to talk to any customer that wants 2 year pricing and approve it. My understanding is that in less then 60 days even that will end and msrp and easy pay will be it.

Sent from tapatalk

• Like 1

Its not a rumor. There is no displayed 2 year pricing in sprint stores as of this morning. A manager has to talk to any customer that wants 2 year pricing and approve it. My understanding is that in less then 60 days even that will end and msrp and easy pay will be it.

Sent from tapatalk

Wow..so sprint is really adopting the T-Mobile phone model. I guess from here on out we will be paying full retail for smartphones.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

Wow..so sprint is really adopting the T-Mobile phone model. I guess from here on out we will be paying full retail for smartphones.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

Not really a big deal so long as they adjust their service pricing accordingly.

• Like 2

I just hope now with no subsidy, Sprint will be able to truly unlock the phones for domestic use too. No contract and no subsidy means fully my phone.

Most Sprint handsets do not technically support other domestic bands for LTE or W-CDMA.  So, they are not very useful on other domestic operators -- unless you are fine with just CDMA1X/EV-DO or GSM only.

AJ

I hope this means that soon you can get Framily pricing without having to find 6 other non Sprint customers to join with you.

For however many lines you have, you can get Framily pricing right now.  I think everyone needs to look at Framily this way:  the base cost for one line is the Framily cost.  Any volume discount for additional lines is just a perk, not an entitlement.

AJ

• Like 2

Most Sprint handsets do not technically support other domestic bands for LTE or W-CDMA.  So, they are not very useful on other domestic operators -- unless you are fine with just CDMA1X/EV-DO or GSM only.

AJ

This truly is one of the reasons why more phones should be made like the Nexus and iPhones.

This truly is one of the reasons why more phones should be made like the Nexus and iPhones.

Sprint has no incentive to make it easier for subs to churn with equipment in tow to other domestic providers.  And it is not as if AT&T and T-Mobile are including CDMA2000 support or even band 25 LTE 1900 support in their handsets, so they are at least as guilty.  An eye for an eye.

AJ

Sprint has no incentive to make it easier for subs to churn with equipment in tow to other domestic providers.  And it is not as if AT&T and T-Mobile are including CDMA2000 support or even band 25 LTE 1900 support in their handsets, so they are at least as guilty.  An eye for an eye.

AJ

Yes, that is correct. None of the carriers have incentive to do this right now. Hence the need for regulation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying other carriers are any better. But if providers are changing from subsidy to no subsidy model, then this really needs to happen in order for consumers to not lose money. Otherwise, it's just not a good deal if I can't take Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon phones to other domestic carrier when I paid retail price for the phone. Especially with a no contract model.

Yes, that is correct. None of the carriers have incentive to do this right now. Hence the need for regulation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying other carriers are any better. But if providers are changing from subsidy to no subsidy model, then this really needs to happen in order for consumers to not lose money. Otherwise, it's just not a good deal if I can't take Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon phones to other domestic carrier when I paid retail price for the phone. Especially with a no contract model.

Could not disagree more. Regulation of this sort would only discourage the production of cheap devices and some people need cheap devices. By force every phone to support every technology and frequency you only drive the price up. It helps people who buy a high end device that don't want to bother with selling them and repurchasing a new device, but hurt people with low end handsets (ie people who don't care about phones or poor people), not my idea of fair. The nexus 5 and iPhone are out there for people for whom this matters and as long as there is a segment of the consumer base that wants a phone that can move between carriers the phones will get made, no regulation required. It may not be the phone you want but well that is why you have choices.

• Like 1

Not really a big deal so long as they adjust their service pricing accordingly.

Which they haven't done. Before my corporate discount a single line framily would save me $5 but cost me my subsidized phone. In actuality this is a rate hike if subsidies are lost.

Which they haven't done. Before my corporate discount a single line framily would save me $5 but cost me my subsidized phone. In actuality this is a rate hike if subsidies are lost.

If you are paying 75 you aren't doing framily right. I've seen people strike up deals with people in the lobby while waiting.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

If you are paying 75 you aren't doing framily right. I've seen people strike up deals with people in the lobby while waiting.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I shouldn't have to strike up deals for affordable cell service. If I wasnt an existing customer it would be as simple as getting on Google and finding a code.

Besides, Sprint won't waive the $15 fee for me. They even admit I meet the requirements but here I sit with 2 notes on my account saying not to waive it.

• Like 1

I shouldn't have to strike up deals for affordable cell service. If I wasnt an existing customer it would be as simple as getting on Google and finding a code.

Besides, Sprint won't waive the $15 fee for me. They even admit I meet the requirements but here I sit with 2 notes on my account saying not to waive it.

good thing the billing system is automated and has nothing to do with notes on your account. When switching to Framily, it's not like the reps add the $15/month fee or not. It just happens or it doesn't, based on a script.
  • Like 1