Dish gets FCC's approval to switch AWS-4 downlink, extend deployment deadline

bigsnake49

Dish got approval from the FCC to switch its downlink and uplink frequencies in the AWS-4 band. That would make the downlink adjacent to the PCS H downllink giving them a 25x5 if they win in the PCS H auction. They also got a one year extension on the buildout of AWS-4. In return, Dish will bid at least $1.56B in the upcoming PCS H auction and turn down the power on their 700MHz block E holdings. 

Dish is also in the drivers seat to acquire Lightsquared's spectrum which will then combine with their now switched uplink for another 20x20 band. They will have a really decent spectrum position at the end.

The 25x5 block adjacent to PCS G is really attractive to Sprint because they could combine it with PCS G and get a nice 30x10 block. Will it be attractive enough for an EBS trade or will Dish have to throw in 700MHz block E which Sprint can then trade to AT&T?

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2013/12/dish-frequency-gambit-gets-fcc-nod.html?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

that makes the whole dish/tmo/sprint thing interesting.....

Whoever wins has to give up something ... dish trade to sprint to back  off of tmo merger?

dish or sprint buys tmo and they 2 trade spectrum sign roaming agreements to equal vzw like coverage???  is it possible?

dish or sprint buys tmo and they 2 trade spectrum sign roaming agreements to equal vzw like coverage???  is it possible?

"VZW like coverage"?  No, not even remotely possible.

AJ

that makes the whole dish/tmo/sprint thing interesting.....Whoever wins has to give up something ... dish trade to sprint to back  off of tmo merger?dish or sprint buys tmo and they 2 trade spectrum sign roaming agreements to equal vzw like coverage???  is it possible?

Sprint has to add more towers to achieve this

sprint in final talks with DT----28.7 billion for tmo

Here comes Charlie!!!

source was the Nikkei

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/SoftBank-eyes-purchase-of-T-Mobile

19 billion.  Where did you get 28?

• Like 1

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/24/5242694/softbank-reportedly-in-final-talks-to-buy-t-mobile

Japanese telecom SoftBank, which owns 80 percent of Sprint, is reportedly nearing a dealto buy T-Mobile. The Nikkei news service is reporting that SoftBank wants to buy a majority of T-Mobile using Sprint shares in a deal valued at more than $19 billion.

A merger between the third and fourth-largest American carriers would create stronger competition for the two largest, Verizon and AT&T. It could also be seen as weakening the market by reducing the number of big players. The acquisition would have to be cleared by US antitrust regulators.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) quashed AT&T's attempt to buy T-Mobile in 2011 for a much greater sum of $39 billion, saying a merger would essentially be anti-competitive. SoftBank's bid could provoke the same ruling from the commission.

The fact that Sprint is smaller than AT&T may tip the scales in SoftBank's favor, but T-Mobile has been gaining subscribers recently. A merger of Sprint's market share, SoftBank's capital, and T-Mobile's momentum may prove too powerful in the eyes of the FCC — but it looks like SoftBank wants to try anyway. If it doesn't work out, there's always Dish.

So.. It looks like the talks are further along than we thought? 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/24/5242694/softbank-reportedly-in-final-talks-to-buy-t-mobile

Japanese telecom SoftBank, which owns 80 percent of Sprint, is reportedly nearing a dealto buy T-Mobile. The Nikkei news service is reporting that SoftBank wants to buy a majority of T-Mobile using Sprint shares in a deal valued at more than $19 billion.

A merger between the third and fourth-largest American carriers would create stronger competition for the two largest, Verizon and AT&T. It could also be seen as weakening the market by reducing the number of big players. The acquisition would have to be cleared by US antitrust regulators.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) quashed AT&T's attempt to buy T-Mobile in 2011 for a much greater sum of $39 billion, saying a merger would essentially be anti-competitive. SoftBank's bid could provoke the same ruling from the commission.

The fact that Sprint is smaller than AT&T may tip the scales in SoftBank's favor, but T-Mobile has been gaining subscribers recently. A merger of Sprint's market share, SoftBank's capital, and T-Mobile's momentum may prove too powerful in the eyes of the FCC — but it looks like SoftBank wants to try anyway. If it doesn't work out, there's always Dish.

So.. It looks like the talks are further along than we thought? 

I'd say so... but then again its happened so fast.... I am thinking its just to make charlie pay more...

Strange that dish has been trying to buy tmo since it failed with sprint/clearwire and all of the sudden sprint gets the right numbers??? 

NOT BUYING THIS ONE YET

• Like 1

Hmm all of this is interesting. I still think dish and sprint are planning something Big! It will be in their best interest to work together to take down the big two.

If Sprint can clear the regulatory hurdles to acquire T-Mobile on their own, they have no need for a Dish partnership.

If Sprint can clear the regulatory hurdles to acquire T-Mobile on their own, they have no need for a Dish partnership.

True but I'm sure they will still partner with dish regardless. If sprint gets tmobile they can still do a spectrum hosting deal with dish.

True but I'm sure they will still partner with dish regardless. If sprint gets tmobile they can still do a spectrum hosting deal with dish.

I don't know. If Soft/Sprint can win T-Mobile without having to give up many concessions they still don't have a need to cave to Charlie. It puts Charlie in a situation where he either has to sell the spectrum he is sitting on or capitulate to someone in negotiations that are favorable to the wireless carrier.The fact still remains Dish is sitting on spectrum that it needs to either deploy or sell. They've made it fairly clear that they don't want to deploy it on their own.

That's because Charlie is a tight a**.

He must be working out.

ixguj8.gif

AJ

• Like 9

I don't know. If Soft/Sprint can win T-Mobile without having to give up many concessions they still don't have a need to cave to Charlie. It puts Charlie in a situation where he either has to sell the spectrum he is sitting on or capitulate to someone in negotiations that are favorable to the wireless carrier.The fact still remains Dish is sitting on spectrum that it needs to either deploy or sell. They've made it fairly clear that they don't want to deploy it on their own.

True but I wonder why sprint decided to partner with dish with Dish's fixed broadband service?

Plus if sprint opens to a spectrum hosting deal with dish wouldn't that give sprint some $$$ they need. I know they are financially stable with SoftBank but if they can get more money why not?

At the end of the day business is still business so if sprint can make billions I'm sure they will take advantage of that.