SoftBank is lighting a fire under Sprint

jamisonshaw125

I edited my previous post moments after, I didn't mean that you contradicted your post....not sure why I typed that, must've been thinking about something else. Anyhow, I think it best for all of us to not judge a network that is not completely done, especially since 800 and 2500 are hardly anywhere. We will just have to wait and see what the results are.

Ah I didn't see that edit until you pointed it out. I think part of the problem is that historically Sprint has been the "wait and see!" network which means I and many others went through this with wimax. I am excited for the future of Sprint but delivering on promises has been and continues to be a weak point. Explaining to friends why Sprint service has gotten worse before it can get better can be exasperating.

• Like 1

Your post all sound like you hate sprint. So why are you here?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Hello!

Oh please. Spare me the drama. If I "hated" Sprint, I wouldn't have had service with them for almost 10 years now. I'm getting fed up with my data service not working and empty promises of improvement. That's what I hate right now.

I'm pretty tired of people crying about sprint and empty promises. With NV they are delivering in a big way and is NOTHING like the wimax rollout which they had no control over. I also don't recall sprint promising wimax to anyone outside of announced markets. The most I heard was people saying their rep promised it was coming but we all know what that is worth.

• Like 2

Hello!

Oh please. Spare me the drama. If I "hated" Sprint, I wouldn't have had service with them for almost 10 years now. I'm getting fed up with my data service not working and empty promises of improvement. That's what I hate right now.

If you are so fed up, Why don'y you take your "fed up" attitude to another carrier? You are hear to complain and that is about it from what I have seen.

If you are so fed up, Why don'y you take your "fed up" attitude to another carrier? You are hear to complain and that is about it from what I have seen.

He was visiting from an AT&T Mobility IP address. I don't know if I buy he even was a Sprint customer at all. Not that it matters anymore. He has been banned.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

He was visiting from an AT&T Mobility IP address. I don't know if I buy he even was a Sprint customer at all. Not that it matters anymore. He has been banned.

I too get quite fed up with Sprint at times, his IP adress is from his AT&T MiFi. A device that actually works since his Sprint service doesnt cut it. Might as well ban me too if we can't discuss Sprint's current state and imperfections.

-William

I too get quite fed up with Sprint at times, his IP adress is from his AT&T MiFi. A device that actually works since his Sprint service doesnt cut it. Might as well ban me too if we can't discuss Sprint's current state and imperfections.

-William

Will...there is a difference. I'm not sure why you want to air this publicly. However, he comes in and says and posts exclusively for his first day more than two dozen negative posts with no substance whatsoever. He clearly violated the rules and is definitely trolling.

You are an entrenched and trusted member. You don't carpet bomb our site with complaints. You don't actually come to our site to criticise. You offer very productive posts, and occasionally mention your Sprint experiences both good and bad.

MasterTruth was a troll. You should not equate yourself to such.

• Like 7

Will...there is a difference. I'm not sure why you want to air this publicly. However, he comes in and says and posts exclusively for his first day more than two dozen negative posts with no substance whatsoever. He clearly violated the rules and is definitely trolling.

You are an entrenched and trusted member. You don't carpet bomb our site with complaints. You don't actually come to our site to criticise. You offer very productive posts, and occasionally mention your Sprint experiences both good and bad.

MasterTruth was a troll. You should not equate yourself to such.

In my discussion with him he seemed to be educating himself about the future of the network. Obviously disgtuntled with his service he turned to this site. He even learned about the signifigance of Tri-band. I emailed AJ and recieved no reply. I can help some of the "average" folks decide if Sprint is going to fulfill their needs,but not if there banned so quickly. Sprints 4G coverage is expanding and this will draw tech illiterate to the site as they ponder why service works in some places and not others. Hopefully future members do not slander so many threads, but there has to be a threshold. Hard to decide if he is a troll or a disgruntled customer so quickly.

In my discussion with him he seemed to be educating himself about the future of the network. Obviously disgtuntled with his service he turned to this site. He even learned about the signifigance of Tri-band. I emailed AJ and recieved no reply. I can help some of the "average" folks decide if Sprint is going to fulfill their needs,but not if there banned so quickly. Sprints 4G coverage is expanding and this will draw tech illiterate to the site as they ponder why service works in some places and not others. Hopefully future members do not slander so many threads, but there has to be a threshold. Hard to decide if he is a troll or a disgruntled customer so quickly.

As bad as his posts sounded, I agree with where your coming from. I think all of us feel disgruntled at times with Sprint.

Mobilesolutions does have a point. For what it's worth I feel the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my communication with the guy he was not a humble person trying to learn about the network. Or even a disgruntled person learning about the network. He had all the signs of an astroturfer.

Here is the bottom line. I have run this site for nearly 3 years. And I used to give people a lot of rope. However, a few personality types have emerged over time. And so far, everyone who has come in and posted two dozen negative posts in 24 hours has turned out to be bad to keep around.

The halls of S4GRU are full of people who came in and posted a rant or two and then became very productive members via education. Heck, even some of our staff members fit that bill. Someone who makes that many posts in such a short period of time is on a mission. He succeeded.

Also, his home Comcast IP address does not match his market he claims. He also claims to be a Sprint FanBoy. A Sprint fanboy would not be so hostile to other fan boys, even if he was not happy with his service. It's not as if this is an old account, he just registered it yesterday and declared himself a fan boy. He also mentioned in one of his posts he was a long time lurker.  Wouldn't he received some background info if this was true after lurking all this data at S4GRU for so long?  Even his screen name evokes the imagery that he is here to Troll. He is saying he has come to this site to tell some sort of Truth, as if we are not. The guy was here for trouble, plain and simple.

Astroturfers are very good at playing dumb and playing the victim. They will sit there and try to convince everyone that they are good people just needing some more info. I've been played by them several times on this site. I've fallen for the stories myself. I've defended them against staff who have wanted to take action. And every time I've been left the fool. Every time.

So if it means that we may accidentally once out of 100 times cast off someone who may have been rehabilitated, it's the risk I'm willing to take. Our members don't want to read through dozens of new members disgruntled posts to get to useful or thought provoking conversations. We have the rules we do for a reason. Our rules are added one at a time, and as needed.

And though you may be unhappy with Sprint now, and possibly unhappy with S4GRU right now, I would argue that if we hadn't enforced these rules in the beginning, you would likely never even became a contributing and frequent visiting S4GRU member at all. S4GRU would not exist today if we allowed a free for all negative discussion.

• Like 10

As bad as his posts sounded, I agree with where your coming from. I think all of us feel disgruntled at times with Sprint.

Mobilesolutions does have a point. For what it's worth I feel the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have had the same feeling with every astroturfer. I used to fall for it time and time again. They are convincing. They are paid to be convincing. We don't host Sprint complaints, period. Everyone is free to complain about Sprint. They just need to do it somewhere else.

• Like 1

We need to get back on topic, or the astroturfer won. He derailed the thread and just has everyone talking about Sprint negatively. He may have been banned, but his legend lives on. He is laughing his ass off. We have all been played. Even me.

• Like 1

Dec 30 interview with Sprint CEO Dan Hesse: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/corner-office/sprint-ceo-dan-hesse-says-faster-data-and-higher-definition-calls-are

Spark is Sprint's beefed up data network. "Basically what it means for the customer is your phone can work about 50 megabits per second," Hesse says. "A year from now it will be double that, and two years from now, triple that. So you're talking 150 megabits per second for the phone."

Hesse says that aside from a faster data network, Sprint customers should soon expect to have better quality sound on phone calls.

"We have announced something called 'high definition voice,' where your wireless phone will the be better of your devices, between your landline and your cell phone. So, today, somebody with perfect hearing hears about 10 octaves. The cell phone gives you about 4 octaves. 'High definition voice' will give you 7 of those 10 octaves, so I don't think it's going to be unusual at all six months from now for people to say, 'Let's get off this landline and let's have this call on a cell phone so we can hear each other better.'"

• Like 2

Robert I cannot quote a post that long. Hopefully members don't make the same mistakes as MasterTruth in the future. If he was a troll his koi attitude slipped me. There is a delicate line between learning and complaining. Im not going to defend someone on a mission to derail this site. And i meant NO disrepect in my postings.

-William

• Like 3

Robert I cannot quote a post that long. Hopefully members don't make the same mistakes as MasterTruth in the future. If he was a troll his koi 1qqqqq slipped me. There is a delicate line between learning and complaining. Im not going to defend someone on a mission to derail this site. And i meant NO disrepect in my postings.

-William

I didn't take it as disrespectful at all. I appreciate your participation. :tu:

Dec 30 interview with Sprint CEO Dan Hesse: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/corner-office/sprint-ceo-dan-hesse-says-faster-data-and-higher-definition-calls-are

Spark is Sprint's beefed up data network. "Basically what it means for the customer is your phone can work about 50 megabits per second," Hesse says. "A year from now it will be double that, and two years from now, triple that. So you're talking 150 megabits per second for the phone."

Hesse says that aside from a faster data network, Sprint customers should soon expect to have better quality sound on phone calls.

"We have announced something called 'high definition voice,' where your wireless phone will the be better of your devices, between your landline and your cell phone. So, today, somebody with perfect hearing hears about 10 octaves. The cell phone gives you about 4 octaves. 'High definition voice' will give you 7 of those 10 octaves, so I don't think it's going to be unusual at all six months from now for people to say, 'Let's get off this landline and let's have this call on a cell phone so we can hear each other better.'"

In my brief experiences with HD voice it sounds extremely clear. Especially G2 to G2. No matter what anyone I know with the iPhone 5S still sounds tinny during the call, which leaves me questioning Apple's quality;again.

• Like 1

To start things back on topic, back to the sentiments of the OP, I do believe that SoftBank is lighting a fire under Sprint. And most of these changes will result in an improved Sprint for the consumer.

We have a tendency to focus on now. The Sprint ship will not get righted immediately after being taken over by SoftBank. The deal closed less than six months ago. Positive steps have been taken already.

SoftBank does not have any impact on the past. Only the future. The current deployment plan was made years ago, and all the contracts were issued a long time ago. Network Vision 1.0's destiny cannot really be altered. We will still feel the impacts of the old Sprint for a long while.

That being said, we will feel the impacts of SoftBank a little more every quarter. One of the big decisions of SoftBank is to take Band 41 to all Clearwire sites, most NV Sites, and even add additional Band 41 sites to create a seamless high speed LTE experience in the Top 100 markets. We are going to start experiencing that decision in a few months time.

We are nowhere near the time to say any current Sprint network shortcomings are illustrative of any SoftBank failings.

• Like 11

We as customers focus on the now because of one reason and that's because we are paying for now. They don't let you pay bills later months later for degradimg service in some areas where upgrades have been worst. Lucky for me in the florida market as Sprint service has improved leaps and bounds over a year ago from this day. 3G is getting better, LTE coverage is pretty good for being half complete, voice coverage is the same but its always been good to me even through the upgrades. I feel softbank will have a heavy influence on the upgrades from 2014 forward.

We have a tendency to focus on now.

We as customers focus on the now because of one reason and that's because we are paying for now. They don't let you pay bills later months later for degradimg service in some areas where upgrades have been worst. Lucky for me in the florida market as Sprint service has improved leaps and bounds over a year ago from this day. 3G is getting better, LTE coverage is pretty good for being half complete, voice coverage is the same but its always been good to me even through the upgrades. I feel softbank will have a heavy influence on the upgrades from 2014 forward.

I'm not saying that people should ignore now.  But in context to the conversation, I am referring to people drawing complete conclusions about SoftBank because of their current Sprint experience right now.

Robert

• Like 2

I'm not saying that people should ignore now.  But in context to the conversation, I am referring to people drawing complete conclusions about SoftBank because of their current Sprint experience right now.

Robert

True completely agree.

I'm not saying that people should ignore now. But in context to the conversation, I am referring to people drawing complete conclusions about SoftBank because of their current Sprint experience right now.

Robert

I agree - and I'll hibernate for winter.

Thanks again Robert and all that help him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert

I think Softbank will continue to fund Sprint network adventures but at a certain point they will turn off the tap if management can't show real progress to shareholders.  That's who they all answer to anyways.  Sprint has to show a return on investment and has to gain new net adds.  

I've been at wireless carrier network deployment meetings.  They're ugly, full of arguments and bad blood.  Everyone throws in their two cents; some argue for the customer experience while others argue on behalf of company profits.  

We need to get back on topic, or the astroturfer won. He derailed the thread and just has everyone talking about Sprint negatively. He may have been banned, but his legend lives on. He is laughing his ass off. We have all been played. Even me.

Sorry to bring this back up but I support your decision. I have self identified as working for a competer and have at times been critical of sprint. I have never felt unfairly treat in any thread or by any member of the staff even when they have disagreed with me.

I think Softbank will continue to fund Sprint network adventures but at a certain point they will turn off the tap if management can't show real progress to shareholders.  That's who they all answer to anyways.  Sprint has to show a return on investment and has to gain new net adds.  

I've been at wireless carrier network deployment meetings.  They're ugly, full of arguments and bad blood.  Everyone throws in their two cents; some argue for the customer experience while others argue on behalf of company profits.  

Yeah But Softbank knows it will take time to see a return. Once 800LTE and TDD-LTE is more widespread and More Tri-band devices are in customers hands, then It will work it self out. People do have a bad taste in their mouth, but once they see NV in the real world, More subscribers will come. But I hope Softbank has patience. I am Sure they do

• Like 1